ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville Ram RB Jariel Cobb Verbals to Air Force

only us real old timers would know of Steve Ritchie.....1960 graduate of Reidsville High School and starting QB....went to the Air Force Academy and was a starting DB that later played UNC in the Gator Bowl..........most famous however as U.S. Air Force First Ace in the Viet Nam War.......statue of him at the Air Force Academy.......as Yogi Berra once said, "You can look it up"....Try Wikipedia (under Richard Stephen Ritchie).................Congrats to Jariel......that's really special...................................................

for you youngsters....what Mule is referring to is Rockingham (as in the town...now Richmond County)........he posted that but just thought I would re-hash it anyway.................................

Reactions: kingbluedevil
only us real old timers would know of Steve Ritchie.....1960 graduate of Reidsville High School and starting QB....went to the Air Force Academy and was a starting DB that later played UNC in the Gator Bowl..........most famous however as U.S. Air Force First Ace in the Viet Nam War.......statue of him at the Air Force Academy.......as Yogi Berra once said, "You can look it up"....Try Wikipedia (under Richard Stephen Ritchie).................Congrats to Jariel......that's really special...................................................
Great article in Wikipedia about him. What a man!

A fellow General who admired him, stated that Ritchie thought of himself as God’s gift and he was cocky and egotistical…imagine that…heck!….he was from Reidsville!….….and he wore too much Old Spice cologne! 😂

Great stuff right there! RamBBQ…thanks for sharing that.

I can see him and Mule strolling the halls at Reidsville High right now!😂

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Great article in Wikipedia about him. What a man!

A fellow General who admired him, stated that Ritchie thought of himself as God’s gift and he was cocky and egotistical…imagine that…heck!….he was from Reidsville!….….and he wore too much Old Spice cologne! 😂

Great stuff right there! RamBBQ…thanks for sharing that.

I can see him and Mule strolling the halls at Reidsville High right now!😂
God's Gift to Women? Cocky? Egotistical? Absolutely. And he was so cocky that he even thought he could beat me as President of our Class of 1960.

But those same tributes made Steve a true American Hero. He was very smart, and fearless on the football field and in the sky over Vietnam. When he gave speeches after retiring he could bring even the most jaded and cynical onlookers cheering on their feet. Five times he shot down enemy MIG fighters. He is a real life American Patriot. And there are very few of them around.

Unfortunately Maiden, we may have walked down the halls at Reidsville High but it would not have been together. Steve was from "upper crust" Reidsville society and I was just a poor barefooted county kid from the sticks of Lenox Castle in southeastern Rockingham County. I could only dream of "Being Like Steve"!!

That's a shame should have a statue in front of the school. Does he ever come back to visit . Were you involved with broken leg in middle school?
No. I played basketball. When Steve was a freshman the older varsity players took exception to his "attitude", ganged up on him and broke his leg. He has never attended any of our reunions. Lives in Colorado.

No. I played basketball. When Steve was a freshman the older varsity players took exception to his "attitude", ganged up on him and broke his leg. He has never attended any of our reunions. Lives in Colorado.
I checked out the schedule for 1959….noticed the tie was against Mt. Airy. Go figure!

Also noticed 3 high schools I’ve never heard of….

Bessemer High….I assume not the one in Gaston county,
James Gray High?
Hanes High?

Who knew?

All of the best to Cobb….he really is a stud…I’ll be pulling for him and those Falcons. I’ve always like them…heck… I’ve always liked all the Armed forces football teams. 😉

Bessemer High was just outside (east) of Greensboro...it's last year was in early 60's Gray and Hanes were both Winston-Salem high schools....Gray especially was very strong in athletics...also were absorbed in the early 60's (think 63-64 school year was their last)....they both became part of a new high school which opened in the mid 60's in Winston-Salem........PARKLAND High School............

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Bessemer High was just outside (east) of Greensboro...it's last year was in early 60's Gray and Hanes were both Winston-Salem high schools....Gray especially was very strong in athletics...also were absorbed in the early 60's (think 63-64 school year was their last)....they both became part of a new high school which opened in the mid 60's in Winston-Salem........PARKLAND High School............
My basketball claim to fame is having played in a game at Winston Salem Hanes with the least playing time ever recored: zero minutes and seconds played. But that's a story for another day.

Bessemer High was known as the Whippets....If Bessemer hadn't been in operation, the students that attended Bessemer would have gone to Page or Northeast.
P.S. Big congrats to Mister Cobb for his Air Force decision...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT