ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment

SimmonsRatings

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2008
NCHSAA is sending a proposed bylaw change to the schools that would create 7 classifications in NC if approved(7A thru 1A). Would be determined entirely by ADM. It states that they want no more than 64 teams per classification.

If that is their goal, I don't see what they don't just stick with 4 classes and sub-divide the playoffs. That would give us 8 state champions. Creating conferences with 7 classes will be very messy. Much easier with 4.

Personally, I am still in support of 5 or 6 classes with the biggest and smallest classifications being smaller due to size differences. For example - 17-22-22-22-17 (5 classes) or 14-18-18-18-18-14 (6 classes).

What do y'all think?

NCHSAA is sending a proposed bylaw change to the schools that would create 7 classifications in NC if approved(7A thru 1A). Would be determined entirely by ADM. It states that they want no more than 64 teams per classification.

If that is their goal, I don't see what they don't just stick with 4 classes and sub-divide the playoffs. That would give us 8 state champions. Creating conferences with 7 classes will be very messy. Much easier with 4.

Personally, I am still in support of 5 or 6 classes with the biggest and smallest classifications being smaller due to size differences. For example - 17-22-22-22-17 (5 classes) or 14-18-18-18-18-14 (6 classes).

What do y'all think?
Anything that gets us out of a conference with 4 3a schools twice our size…being a 2a school in a split league sucks. We do get the benefit of visiting the lovely Rocky Mount area frequently. The head of the nchsaa did provide the wisdom of “get better” when asked about parity and competitive balance. Thanks Q!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
Football will most likely be 6A in their setup...but it allows up to 7A for sports with more teams (baseball/basketball). Not my interpretation...this straight from the mouth of one of the authors.

I believe in 3 classes to create conferences and have 6 classes for playoffs.

Also I believe there will be 8 total classes with 1 being private one bc I heard they plan make all private school play in private league but who knows if that will happen

Start with five on the first alignment and on the second or third alignment after the change go to six if the schools want it. 2A through 4A has more schools than 1A and 2A due to ADM of the largest and smallest schools being very close in the middle classifications.

They could stay at four and have 2A and 3A with about 60% of the schools split equally in those two classes and then for the playoffs subdivide them. I think that would be the most simple option and work as well as any giving them six state champions with closer matching ADMs.

Reactions: Mavrick69
Also I believe there will be 8 total classes with 1 being private one bc I heard they plan make all private school play in private league but who knows if that will happen
So there will be four football playing private schools in one class with Catholic and CG playing against CTK and BM. Do you really think that will happen?

Catholic and CG cannot play with the other parochials or charters.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I don't understand the schools that don't vote. It should be a requirement.
Once more charters become 3A/4A size and start beating up on those schools then they will vote. Charters need to go to their own division or be required to play up. They have been given a different set of rules to go by and it just makes no sense for a traditional public school to have to compete with schools that can get student/athletes from 25 miles away.

What do y'all think?
I agree with your 6 class proposal.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I don't know why the NCHSAA is so fixated with the number '64'. Seems to me 64 would be a minimum of schools that should be in a class instead of it being a maximum. Having at least 64 in a class would be better than the 100+ schools that are presently in classifications. That being said, six classes would work out best. Come to think of it, have you ever seen a pie, cake, or pizza cut into seven slices? Or even five??? 🤔

Simple on the not voting situation.. If Your school does not vote yes or no, your school cant be in the playoffs.....Personally I like 4a 4aa stance...

At one time it did not as it was a private organization. Any school could request it as a member. Not sure now with the new setup through Raleigh.
My guess is that a member school could request that information, but I don’t think the agreement with the state subjected the Association to the Freedom of Information Act. They’re still a nonprofit, and not a government entity.

Reactions: btango
I think I would like to see new classifications, however in the current 4 classifications I would think most of conference play is within 30-45 minutes of the schools, now some may average a little farther in travel but with a 7 classification system how many conference games will have to be played at the 2 hour plus travel windows something a lot of schools never see, and most wouldn’t see until the 2nd or 3rd round of playoffs. I’m guessing this would greatly affect the 1a and 7a classifications more then the others.

I think I would like to see new classifications, however in the current 4 classifications I would think most of conference play is within 30-45 minutes of the schools, now some may average a little farther in travel but with a 7 classification system how many conference games will have to be played at the 2 hour plus travel windows something a lot of schools never see, and most wouldn’t see until the 2nd or 3rd round of playoffs. I’m guessing this would greatly affect the 1a and 7a classifications more then the others.
From what I was told - That isnt going happen travel wont be a factor . they want to do SMALLER conference size so avg 4-5 team per and they eventually want go to the region model. they also would want try get to a 2 yr realignment also The gaps will be 250 students from 2A to 6A , I believe 1a n 7a will be bit more like ex 1A will be capped at 450 or another ex would be Pine Lake they would be 3A in the 7a model so PLP would prob have to be in a football conference only for football bc not many charter schools or whatever would be 3a.

I would think travel at the 7a level would not be too bad in the regular season. Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh etc...that is where the vast majority of your 7a teams will be, so travel in the regular season would only be within those cities.

One potential problem with small conferences is getting non conference games for some team. Saw this first hand with dome smaller classification schools that were in conferences with several non football teams.

One potential problem with small conferences is getting non conference games for some team. Saw this first hand with dome smaller classification schools that were in conferences with several non football teams.
Hibriten and Watauga both had issues with that in there 6 team conference we are in. We picked up Oak Grove this year which is about 100 miles away.

Reactions: btango
Hibriten and Watauga both had issues with that in there 6 team conference we are in. We picked up Oak Grove this year which is about 100 miles away.
IN AZ that a avg trip because most team travel 3-4 hours away to a game so think bout how long it is on a busy so its prob more like 4-5 hours.

1hr 31 and 100 miles in NC isnt that bad so max its 3 hr trip and 3hr back so 6 hr isnt bad compared to AZ

I would think travel at the 7a level would not be too bad in the regular season. Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh etc...that is where the vast majority of your 7a teams will be, so travel in the regular season would only be within those cities.

I didn’t think of it that way but thinking about it more your probably right in saying most of the schools that end up in the 7a conference will probably be in a metropolis area so the travel probably wouldn’t be an issue for most of them.

anyone see a situation where a school may have to cut a game or two of away non conference play just to afford the trips to play all their conference games?

anyone see a situation where a school may have to cut a game or two of away non conference play just to afford the trips to play all their conference games?
I would consider possibly shortening the season n maybe start in early sept and whatever n do like only 7-8 games or something so u have 2-3 non conference games n then rest conference if the conference are smaller but idk how many would like that

Ik there are some state are strictly conference games, ik some states maybe only have 1-2 non conference games and etc so

From what I was told - That isnt going happen travel wont be a factor . they want to do SMALLER conference size so avg 4-5 team per and they eventually want go to the region model. they also would want try get to a 2 yr realignment also The gaps will be 250 students from 2A to 6A , I believe 1a n 7a will be bit more like ex 1A will be capped at 450 or another ex would be Pine Lake they would be 3A in the 7a model so PLP would prob have to be in a football conference only for football bc not many charter schools or whatever would be 3a

I understand the wider gap for the 1a would probably be necessary for conference play and lesser travel, however wouldn’t that defeat the purpose and still leave the smaller schools without an opportunity to make a playoff run. Or maybe I’m missing the point of the new classifications altogether.

I understand the wider gap for the 1a would probably be necessary for conference play and lesser travel, however wouldn’t that defeat the purpose and still leave the smaller schools without an opportunity to make a playoff run. Or maybe I’m missing the point of the new classifications altogether.
I think 1A always going be at some slight disadvantage but I’m not sure tbh with u goal is to limit the gap n also get to a 2yr realignment with hopes get on a region model

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT