ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Projections

Just this sites take as of right now. I would think they could change. Lots of big games the last three of the regular season. I think you are right about the Eastern Title being played at NE. Question is WHO will its be ??

The thought there is that ED wins the conference, WRH finishes second and Clinton finishes third.

WRH would be seeded based on adjusted Maxpreps ratings with other conference runner ups and Clinton would be seeded based on adjusted Maxpreps ratings with the other wildcard entries.

The ECC has only two automatic qualifiers since it is a seven team league.

IMO, while it is fun to look ahead at these "projections" it is a futile effort given two main things. First, there are still three games left in the regular season and second, the ADMs haven't been released yet. So many things can and will happen between now and November 10th. I would not lose any sleep over any of it.

The thought there is that ED wins the conference, WRH finishes second and Clinton finishes third.

WRH would be seeded based on adjusted Maxpreps ratings with other conference runner ups and Clinton would be seeded based on adjusted Maxpreps ratings with the other wildcard entries.

The ECC has only two automatic qualifiers since it is a seven team league.

IMO, while it is fun to look ahead at these "projections" it is a futile effort given two main things. First, there are still three games left in the regular season and second, the ADMs haven't been released yet. So many things can and will happen between now and November 10th. I would not lose any sleep over any of it.
One would think that the ADM's would be available soon after the tenth day of school. I have no idea why the NCHSAA waits until the end of the season to post them.

I am not worried even if this is the final brackets. You play who and where you are put. If you are good enough you advance. If not ya go home and pump up the basketballs. Let the fun begin. Its always fun to see all the griping, B**ching, calls of unfair ratings and seeding.

And Clinton would be a lower seed than Heide Trask, even though Clinton would have a better record, unless Highschoolot is thinking Clinton will lose to ED, JK and W-RH.
We go back to last year. As long as SOS is not figured in, you will not get proper seeding. Because of conference SOS, the ECC champion should get 2 seed this year,behind NHS. Maybe even 3 or 4 , depending on undefeated teams in east like Kinston, EB or SC. I've always thought SOS should carry weight when seeding. Just win/ loss is not very accurate. Also,if you used SOS ,it would count those endowment games, Would not hurt someone like WRH for loosing against Havelock this year. If you play it should count. Makes sense to me,but might not to others.

We go back to last year. As long as SOS is not figured in, you will not get proper seeding. Because of conference SOS, the ECC champion should get 2 seed this year,behind NHS. Maybe even 3 or 4 , depending on undefeated teams in east like Kinston, EB or SC. I've always thought SOS should carry weight when seeding. Just win/ loss is not very accurate. Also,if you used SOS ,it would count those endowment games, Would not hurt someone like WRH for loosing against Havelock this year. If you play it should count. Makes sense to me,but might not to others.
It would be similar to the way CFP is done. Strength of schedule should be factored. As well as the value of which conference you win.

Reactions: daagoob and dogs79
Those brackets aren't even close. That was before the latest adjusted numbers came out. Those brackets were out up Sunday the adjusted rankings came out Monday.
Those brackets also has eastern Randolph at #4 and Wheatmore at #14. That was before Wheatmore beat ER

So South Columbus would be in the west, but for all practical purposes would be in the east. As the number three seed, they’d have at least two home games. Crazy!

Just sit back and take a look at these potential seeds, I don't care what is factored in, when some of these matchups actually take place, it will be very ugly for some home teams!

I should clarify and have edited this, lol. When and if these take place, and in the 2nd rounds and beyond.....I know there is no perfect way to solve the issue, but common sense should override being "fair" sometimes

Last edited:
As a fan of a Thomasville program that’s been down for a couple of years and finished 2-9 last year, I appreciate an opportunity to just participate in the playoffs. But for title contenders, game location and travel time are huge factors in high school football. It affects crowd size and game readiness. As much as possible, it needs to be equitable and the system in place shoud strive to ensure that. Taking a team that’s fifty miles from Wilmington and potentially placing them in the west two years in a row highlights that the system isn’t very workable.

Shouldn’t it be road to the ship goes through Wallace? I mean they’ve only won 4 straight.

Looks like the Wallace Ship is takin on water. After Friday night they might be listing badly. Man the Life Boats. Might just be NE will see a Orange and Black team but could be Stallions instead of Dogs.

Reactions: daagoob and eglfan
As of today I think the three top contenders down east are SWO, Clinton, and James Kenan in 2A. Things might look a little different after next game.

Still have to include Northeastern as one of the top contenders....also South Columbus(If they stay East) and you cant exclude Wallace

Reactions: eglfan and dogs79
Still have to include Northeastern as one of the top contenders....also South Columbus(If they stay East) and you cant exclude Wallace

I was considering NE as "Up East" in a different bracket. And SC going West. My top three are for playing in the Eastern Finals at NE.

Reactions: daagoob and eglfan
Where are the South Columbus fans? Looks like SC has a bit of a gauntlet to go through too, with Whiteville and East Bladen. The rest of that conference doesn't appear to be very strong at all.

Shouldn’t it be road to the ship goes through Wallace? I mean they’ve only won 4 straight.

What the pic actually means is these players in the pic are seniors so they are leading the team to the championships. That being said, looking at records and ranking the championships are still going thru EC.

Reactions: daagoob and SWO-#1
Where are the South Columbus fans? Looks like SC has a bit of a gauntlet to go through too, with Whiteville and East Bladen. The rest of that conference doesn't appear to be very strong at all.

East Bladen could be a sleeper not many are talking bout....Were their only loss right now and that was a pretty competitive game....they are young and was suppose to be "down" this year. Definitely a team i have my eye on along with South Columbus

Reactions: ebeagles
East Bladen could be a sleeper not many are talking bout....Were their only loss right now and that was a pretty competitive game....they are young and was suppose to be "down" this year. Definitely a team i have my eye on along with South Columbus
I wouldn’t want to see East Bladen or Goldsboro in playoffs

Reactions: daagoob
All I meant is NO one wants to see Wallace in the playoffs, they’ve earned respect after winning 4 straight. I’m a clinton fan, but count Wallace out and they’ll burn u.

What the pic actually means is these players in the pic are seniors so they are leading the team to the championships. That being said, looking at records and ranking the championships are still going thru EC.

100% correct, the c'ship will go thru Elizabeth City.

Reactions: eglfan
Looks like the Wallace Ship is takin on water. After Friday night they might be listing badly. Man the Life Boats. Might just be NE will see a Orange and Black team but could be Stallions instead of Dogs.
I wouldn't count us out just yet. We played good enough to beat yal last sat night. We're playing better since you guys came to Wallace.

I wouldn't count us out just yet. We played good enough to beat yal last sat night. We're playing better since you guys came to Wallace.

Not counting you out. No question you have the players/coaching. Just having a little trouble at the moment. If you win out or even one of the last two will be a serious contender. Looks like JK, Clinton has kicked it up a notch. I know not a lot get concerned over SWO with the conference record, not much to talk about there.

Reactions: dogs79
Not counting you out. No question you have the players/coaching. Just having a little trouble at the moment. If you win out or even one of the last two will be a serious contender. Looks like JK, Clinton has kicked it up a notch. I know not a lot get concerned over SWO with the conference record, not much to talk about there.
Clinton, JK and SWO have been down for the last few years, but all are on the come-up, and every small 2A team should be concerned.

Interesting to see Mt Pleasant, West Stokes, and Anson in the east. Do'nt recall any of those in the east before

As others have alluded to....don't take any projections too seriously until we get this year's ADM numbers....I've toyed with working on my own using last year's numbers, and there are some teams we know will be 2AA, and some we know that will be small 2A, but there is so much uncertainty about those close to the cutoff line....even after the numbers get released, we still won't know for sure until we can pinpoint which 64 teams will qualify for the playoffs, and that will come down to the last version of the Adjusted Maxpreps Rankings are released, which won't get released until seeding Saturday, at the same time the preliminary brackets are released....Last year after the last games were played on Friday night, I took a shot in the dark and guessed right on how the Week 12 games would affect the rankings and which 64 would qualify (if I remember correctly, the big winner last year that jumped in was West Iredell), but that was when margin of victory actually did come into play....going to be more of a guessing game this year without margin of victory mattering.....this year another odd piece to the puzzle will be the possibility of teams with decent Adjusted Maxpreps rankings getting left behind because of where they finish in their conference.....there are a number of teams with rankings in the 40s or 50s hoping for an at-large bid, who would have gotten in last year, just based on that ranking, who, this year, are in danger of being left out if they finish in their conference final standings behind a team whose ranking is in 60s, 70s, or 80s.....there will probably be more than one league that will not get any at-large bids (only their allotted automatic bids)....while the Mountain Six will probably get all six in, provided East Henderson doesn't fall too far these last couple of weeks.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
SC will be there in the end. I say 3 or 4 round in playoffs,might be better than that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT