ADVERTISEMENT

Players leaving for private school

Hey guys let's not say anything else we might regret. Everyone has their preferences thats why there is a forum blog - to share those ideas and preferences. But lets not get hasty and have name calling. Personally I went to a Public School and for me I wouldn't have had it any other way and I've met friends along the way that went to Private or Private Christian High Schools and they told me that they wouldn't have had it any other way. Like I said we all have our opinions and preferences. And thats ok. But lets have enough respect for one another to not go after each other. Respect for one another is key.

Wonders89 has proven that she is lacking in knowledge of the facts. She has used terrible language on a high school forum. It’s a shame really...

Last edited:
Wonders89 has proved that she is lacking in knowledge of the facts. She has used terrible language on a high school forum. It’s a shame really...
Yeah I saw that happen it is a shame its not about talking sides its just about having everyone not be as vulgar as Wonders89 I figure that everyone else knows better than to post such awful language but there are times that you don't see that and your right it is a shame.

Public schools are the real world.
Also, I know someone that works in college admissions and says public school students are generally better prepared for college due to lack of accountability in some private schools.

Wow mods must be sleeping. This old man wonders has lost his marbles. Relax and put the bottle down brother..

I don’t think she can help it. Most likely, she’s a product of her environment and I think substance abuse could be the culprit for the terrible things they typed. I hope I’m wrong.

Surely, an educated person wouldn’t say such things. Bless her heart, she could of probably used more public schooling to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ooooner and UNC91
I'd like to thank, realjoejr for reminding us what this platform is for. Respect for our fellow posters is important. I think Crest is Garbage, like myself likes to stir the pot and get things going. The main difference, he stirs LEFT handed.

Public schools are the real world.
Also, I know someone that works in college admissions and says public school students are generally better prepared for college due to lack of accountability in some private schools.
I am sure the public schools had 12 years to indoctrinate the kids, if they went to private schools the college has to try to undo 12 years of real education!

I don’t think she can help it. Most likely, she’s a product of her environment and I think substance abuse could be the culprit for the terrible things they typed. I hope I’m wrong.

Surely, an educated person wouldn’t say such things. Bless her heart, she could of probably used more public schooling to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Lawd!!! What a tangled web we have here!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure there are good public schools and some not so good. Ditto for private schools. I can't say which schools are good or bad. I'll let someone with a higher pay grade and has at least a masters degree decide that ...

Reactions: UNC91
Like most everything else in the world, there are positives and negatives to both. It all depends on ones point of view. I've worked in public schools off and on for many years as an outside contractor. I've witnessed a lot, good and bad.

Literally just wanted to know if anybody was hearing anything on kids transferring. A school is what you make it. Public an Private school students all have to take the same test and classes. There isn’t a college application for a public school student and a separate application for a privet school student. There is one application for all students! I know the private school in my area of NC historically poached public school kids, I just didn’t know with the possibility of NCISAA operating under different standards than the States if they were trying to cherry pick players promising the possibility of football season definitely happening.

Reactions: g-dog08 and UNC91
The private school closest to my house costs a little under 4000 dollars a year to attend. Cheap by private school standards, in my opinion. Their main claim to fame is that they teach cursive to kindergarteners. I also know of several kids who moved back into public schools and found (shocker) that they were markedly behind their peers.

I know of dozens of kids who went there through mutual friends... I can think of TWO kids who went to an actual 4 year college (not Bob Jones or Pensacola Christian) and was successful.

That being said, I know of some more prestigious schools in my area. Forsyth Country Day for example... Pricier. Close to 100% college acceptance. Is it because of the school? Is it because those kids were going to go to college anyway? I think its the latter.

I need to find the article to legitimize it, but in the article I read, (yes, I went to public school AND learned to read). A study was done that shows that the majority of corporate leaders were educated in public schools. Is it because WAY more kids go to public schools than private? Maybe... but if private schools were that much of a catapult to success, I suspect the number of public schoolers in that position would be less.

Someone posted earlier that likened private school tuition to burning a stack of money. I’d agree with that in most cases. If the kid is given the tools to be successful at home, he/she will be successful at (insert terrible public high school here).

What is the current diversity level of private/charter schools in NC?

Up in Rockingham County, that Bethany Charter is a perfect example. The Bethany Community was against consolidating the county middle schools into one, as well as districts changing to include a little diversity in their student population. So, they went about and started their on school to keep diversity at a minimum.

PrepFan,

I think your right on with your assessment. I don’t think a parent can go wrong with either option as both types of schools have their positives and negatives. I don’t believe in the myth that private school kids are some how better educated than their public peers though. All types of schools put kids into all types of colleges.

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
I'm thinking that a lot of the parents want to send their kids to private schools because of the perceived "problems" at public schools. I talking about education and socialization. When parents hear about kids bringing guns and other weapons to school, they simply don't want their kid in that environment. To me, that is sheltering the kids from thew real world. Just my opinion.

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
Kids NEED to be sheltered from the real world as you call it. Until a kid has been taught how to use a gun and can legally carry, they need our protection. I'm not saying I agree with other reasons people have for taking kids out of public school but I have no problem with that one. I don't know what part of the state you live in Ooooner but take it from someone who lives near Charlotte and has worked as a contractor in CMS, my child would not have been in some of the schools I've worked in. If I couldn't afford private school, I would find a way to move out of the district.

Reactions: KW23
I'm thinking that a lot of the parents want to send their kids to private schools because of the perceived "problems" at public schools. I talking about education and socialization. When parents hear about kids bringing guns and other weapons to school, they simply don't want their kid in that environment. To me, that is sheltering the kids from thew real world. Just my opinion.
I have worked at North Gaston, St. Stephens , Mt Tabor, East Forsyth, SW Randolph, Grimsley , Parkland and now Rolesville, so all over NC. In all of my teaching experience the only school I had seen a gun in school was North Gaston in 1999. And I am the one who found it but I never felt unsafe as a teacher in any school I taught in. My kids went to public schools and never needed a gun once

Last edited:
I hope you don't think I'm saying a kid needs to bring a gun to school sammyk. That is not at all what I'm saying. There are many public schools in this state that are safe. There are also some that I was uncomfortable working in. My wife taught for over twenty years in rural farming areas, for the most part discipline was not a problem. I'm just saying that we as parents are responsible for our children's well being. I guess it's like everything else, everybody raises their kids differently.

Reactions: sammyk
I hope you don't think I'm saying a kid needs to bring a gun to school sammyk. That is not at all what I'm saying. There are many public schools in this state that are safe. There are also some that I was uncomfortable working in. My wife taught for over twenty years in rural farming areas, for the most part discipline was not a problem. I'm just saying that we as parents are responsible for our children's well being. I guess it's like everything else, everybody raises their kids differently.
Got you and agree

Reactions: SPRaiders78

Some don't do any raising at all.

Reactions: dogs79 and UNC91
I agree, and that is a lot of the problem we have now. When I was a kid, if you got in trouble at school it was a lot worse when you got home. 90% of the parents didn't automatically take the kids side. When my daughter was still in school, she knew better as well. She may not have been whipped like I was occasionally, but she knew she would be grounded for a month if I thought it was necessary.

SPRaiders, I had to laugh reading your post. Same way at my house! Whipping at school guaranteed another one at the house. Never once did my parents question the teacher.

Reactions: dogs79 and UNC91
Heck sam, we've got to talk about something. By the way how many times a week do you mow your grass? Me, only once. This fall I will move my mowing day to Friday. No football, you have to have something to do.

I finished high school in the mid 90s. It was starting to change for the worse then. We had plenty of good kids, but there were several dozen of the “feral” variety. Wild. Zero expectations from parents. I can point to my yearbook at them. A couple are in prison. About a dozen are dead, with the most recent death coming just about a week ago from a drug overdose. Thankfully, another dozen or so turned out very well.

So yes, its bad now, but it isn’t something new. There are still lots of good parents out there. There are still some (maybe more) lackadaisical parents.

Reactions: Crest is Garbage
Literally just wanted to know if anybody was hearing anything on kids transferring. A school is what you make it. Public an Private school students all have to take the same test and classes. There isn’t a college application for a public school student and a separate application for a privet school student. There is one application for all students! I know the private school in my area of NC historically poached public school kids, I just didn’t know with the possibility of NCISAA operating under different standards than the States if they were trying to cherry pick players promising the possibility of football season definitely happening.

we have a local private school who poached 3 or 4 of our guys before the virus, I have talked to a couple who have made the move in the past that said once the sport they were recruited to play ended, the school pretty much turned their back on them.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I know of at least two kids that Rabun Gap is going after. It's going to be rough for them when they transfer and the private association cancels football too.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT