ADVERTISEMENT

Pisgah radio coverage

red n black pride

Sep 13, 2011
Had to work late Friday and couldn't travel with the bears so I tuned in on the radio...wow.... can the announcer just call the game by telling you what's going on who made the tackle and stop the second guessing and coach bashing..I had heard it from other fans that told me they had stopped listening because all you hear is an announcer that wants to criticize kids and coaches... Add the lady in who talks from time to time and its worse.. Its not ESPN.. Its a small high school with great tradition... Why don't you call it and leave the ESPN commentary to ESPN or go get a broadcast job on ESPN... I'm not referring to Chad.. You do a great job

I agree sir, I had to listen twice this year instead of attending...........The program, players, and coaches deserve better than the Gary Danielson wanna be who thinks he is a coach!!....Does nothing to promote the program....Changes need to be made ASAP

I do believe that is our "sports editor" of the local newspaper. He may acutally do a worse job at that as the section is poorly edited. If it weren't for the two stringers sent out to cover the two high schools and donated articles from parents frustrated with the lack of coverage, there would be no sports section in that paper.

He is also "Our Man in Haywood County" for the Two Yucksters on ESPN Radio in Asheville.

I don't listen to the games much but I do catch Chad on Saturday mornings for the coaches show. He does a pretty good job.

You can always count on an article about Jonathan Crompton... Good kid don't get me wrong... But we have plenty of sporting events going on with all the youth teams and middle and high schools on both ends of the county.. He should look into spell check for the local paper.

If you want somebody to blow smoke up your butt, Chad is your man. Here is Chad--OMG CHUCK, OMG CHUCK FIRST DOWN BIG BLACK, FIRST DOWN BIG BLACK. If Pisgah is behind Chad talks about everything but the game and he sounds like he is about to cry at any moment. Like him or not Chuck is truthful. I bet the Tuscola crowd would trade both John Roden and Michael Sorrells for one Chuck. As for Jonathan Crompton coverage, don't hate, if he had gone to Pisgah the Pisgah crowd would be saying there wasn't enough coverage. I don't think anyone is getting cheated out of coverage.

We lived through Alan Askins. Roten and Sorrells are an improvement.

I would trade Feebs for Mark Pompillio every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The Crompton love is almost scary.

Whosyodaddy you can have him... You can keep your crew to...he would fit in Waynesville..more out of stater's up there like him.. He can bring his side line reporter to... Nobody mentioned tuscola but you show up... Why are listening to our game anyway.. Yep we wanna hear about the game but all the crititsism toward kids n coaches he can stick that up ..well you know... and so can you!!

Whosyodaddy you can have him... You can keep your crew to...he would fit in Waynesville..more out of stater's up there like him.. He can bring his side line reporter to... Nobody mentioned tuscola but you show up... Why are listening to our game anyway.. Yep we wanna hear about the game but all the crititsism toward kids n coaches he can stick that up ..well you know... and so can you!!

Red, totally disagree. I love our football radio team. I stopped going to games right after the North Buncombe loss.

I'd rather sit at home and listen to the football game. You are in the minority on this issue. I suspect you may be a whiny parent or a relative of super coach.

I love Chad and chuck. You get the unvarnished truth. As for the lady, you can tell she loves Pisgah. Needs improvement, but who doesn't.

If I want your opinion Red, I will give it to you. Stop whining like a bitch!!!

Ah yes ol Bucky tooth.... You don't like the super coach...you made that clear in your post after the north buncombe game... You must have played when he did and he trucked your butt...Bucky tooth your not gonna give me my opinion.. I already gave it to you.

Here is Chad--OMG CHUCK, OMG CHUCK FIRST DOWN BIG BLACK, FIRST DOWN BIG BLACK.

LMAO That is so spot on.
roll.r191677.gif

Hahaha I love pulling on red n black's

Dang, I don't know what makes red n black so stupid ... but it's really works.
roll.r191677.gif

I just figured out who you are Bucky tooth... You gotta work for the paper in the sports section.. Your last post looks like some that I've read.. You know.. No editing!!

Never heard the guys ya'll are talking about, but they can't be as bad as the guy on WWNC who talks through his nose. His play by play commentary makes me want to vomit on the radio. I'll never forget as long as I live, about 4 years ago I caught the last quarter of a Reynolds game and he was saying..

"I really think they should run that one pass play where the quarterback acts like he's gonna throw it but then pulls it back and then really does throw it down the right side line and that one tall kid catches it."

I kid you not. I want to smack him in the back of the head so hard the snot all flies out and he starts talking normal.

Originally posted by red n black pride:
He is better than what we have, but I don't think we want his side line reporter. If you get rid of him, would that just be for football or would that be basketball too? Maybe you could offer him up as package deal. Anyway, the reason I listen to your games sometimes is because some of the people I work with have kids that go to Pisgah. I didn't realize that there was a selection process that you needed to pass before you could listen to a Pisgah game on the radio, although now that I think about it, it does make sense because you know, it is the BIG BLACK. If there is an application that needs to be filled out, maybe you can get Fiebernitz to print it in the paper.
wink.r191677.gif

Does nothing to promote the program....Changes need to be made ASAP

Since when is it the job of the media to "promote a program?"

Had to work late Friday and couldn't travel with the bears so I tuned in on the radio...wow.... can the announcer just call the game by telling you what's going on who made the tackle and stop the second guessing and coach bashing..I had heard it from other fans that told me they had stopped listening because all you hear is an announcer that wants to criticize kids and coaches... Add the lady in who talks from time to time and its worse.. Its not ESPN.. Its a small high school with great tradition... Why don't you call it and leave the ESPN commentary to ESPN or go get a broadcast job on ESPN... I'm not referring to Chad.. You do a great job
Maybe you should put in for the job and then after the game you can give everybody on the team a trophy and tell them what a great job they did.

WhoaIdiot You got kicked in the Head by the Mule long ago........Before you got kicked out of the Pisgah press box!! The Media does not coach the game or challenge coaches.....if they do, it does not advance the program but cuts the leadership that are working with the kids..........The coaches are working their butt off while the media sits in a heated press box. Of course some media never strapped on a Helmet or if they ever coached could not cut the mustard as a coach. The Media does not call out specific kids as having terrible games but promotes the effort of every kid that sacrifices 100's of hours between July and December. Crawl back in your hole for the winter and then get a real job in the spring!!!

So you believe the job of the media is to PAY to cover the game as solely a media guide for the home team, a cheerleader of sorts? Is that what you are trying to tell us here? Since you obviously dont understand the job of media, Allow me to educate you. The job of ANY media is to present facts and describe what they see on the field....It is most assuredly not to "promote the program." OR promote a particular player coach or agenda. Did you have one in particular in mind you wanted to promote? People like you usually do, and they are usually underachievers when all the facts are known. IMO the crew at WPTL was more than fair, in fact generous in their description of what happened on the field this year, and in years past, in fact some of the better ones I have heard at the HS level. That being said, there have been negative events that occurred that could have been covered, (in fact SHOULD have been covered) that weren't because these are HS players and coaches..... If what you are looking for is a cheerleader, or media guide of PHS sports, you ought to buy your own radio station. Until that time why don't you narrow your screen names down to one, (I suspect that you post in here under more than one, and always anonymously) get used to the fact that expectations don't always pan out, and above all don't listen to the broadcast, or read the paper. Your kind of business we can all afford to miss, and I suspect PHS can do without it as well.

I40...you must pay close attention to whoamule..he is a media mogule..he writes for the mountaineer...

Doggy..I'm surprised your taking time to read this...shouldn't you be looking for a freedom high school thread to bash their coach.. Our announcer would fit right in with your crew..

I40...you must pay close attention to whoamule..he is a media mogule..he writes for the mountaineer...

I speak for myself and answer to no other entity. And without the need for anonymity as is common in here. What's your excuse?

Doggy..I'm surprised your taking time to read this...shouldn't you be looking for a freedom high school thread to bash their coach.. Our announcer would fit right in with your crew..
The Freedom fans don't need my help bashing their coach. They are doing a good job on their own. They found out the truth the hard way.
cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/27 4:09 PM by Dogthathunts

Different roles in the media.

Newspaper beat writer's job is to cover the team and report what he/she sees and hears. Shouldn't take a slant but runs risks of losing access if too negative.
Newspaper sports editor should 1) edit. (Real struggle here with this one) and 2) May write an opinion column
Radio- in the case of a team's radio station/network, it is acceptable to have a slant for the home team. Some may be downright "homers". May sound unprofessional but as long as the listening audience is satisfied, it is going to happens.
However in the case of the Game of the Week broadcast like WWNC, they are calling a different team every week, potentially, so they need to hit it down the middle.

I wish the local paper gave more coverage to more sports and covered the JV teams and the middle schools too. I understand the newspaper industry is a dying business and maybe someone could make a go of a local sports blog with the proper business model. However, in most small town papers, the sports editor gets out and hustles and covers games. Here, not so much but
we get what the editor and publisher allow.

In radio, considering that most local stations are essentially a robot now, it would be rare to hear a polished, professional calling local sports. In many communities, it is going to be the owner or someone close to them. I imagine a bigger school could try to present its own broadcast but then they're going to have to pay for the airtime.

I wish the local paper gave more coverage to more sports and covered the JV teams and the middle schools too.

Would be nice. I would love to provide the THS swimming team which is the best in the state every year bar none, the coverage they deserve, the girls soccer team is very good every year, baseball/softball are often going on at the same time. The fact is that nobody wants to do this job, especially for what it pays. I have tried to find others willing to help, even have used students that showed interest in journalism from time to time, but they always soon tire of the effort. Parents aren't a good fit either because typically they are focused on one kid instead of the overall picture, quite naturally. (Most) Coaches help all they can but they are not media people. The people working at the Mountaineer covering the HS sports do it because they want the school and athletes they cover as well represented as they can, but there is only so much they can do and are not perfect.

If there are any of you that would like to try the job, simply call Chuck at the Mountaineer. Im sure he will find you a spot at THS, (PHS is pretty well covered) provided you understand that you are there for TUSCOLA sports, and not as a Jimmy Johnny or Suzie media guide. All you have to do is attend home events and report what you see, along with the stats, and get the away results the best way you can from coaches in a timely manner, and maybe a quote or two for those coaches inclined to offer one. Sounds pretty simple doesn't it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT