ADVERTISEMENT

Pisgah @ Brevard

You do realize many people "on the hill" did have a problem with the previous coach being a PHS alum, I hope.
I would have to disagree with that statement Very few people I know had a problem with where he went to school. The problem a vast majority of people had was in his inability to be an effective head coach. That, and the incompetent principal that hired him over several other more qualified candidates.

Reactions: BlueVols
You do realize many people "on the hill" did have a problem with the previous coach being a PHS alum, I hope.
And you apparently dont realize many of those old guard (and their prejudices) have been flushed out at Tuscola.. Saw it last happening year and it continues today. Although he did go to Pisgah, he has deep roots in Waynesville as well, and a long time as an assistant at THS. I didn't see any problem while he was there. Others thought he wasnt a very good head coach, but that is not for me to judge. Note: Conversations in the nail section at the hardware doesnt really count for much do they?

I think we need to agree to disagree. I hope for your sake you are right. With THS moving to the MAC next year, this might be the last, best chance for the Mounties to make a deep run in the playoffs. Road out of the MAC will be tougher, and I foresee a reduction in gate receipts as well. Keeping Smoky and Pisgah as non-conference games help every other year, losing Franklin and Brevard definitely hurt. North, West, and most of the MAC won't travel well at all.
Nothing to disagree with here. Tuscola did ALL they could (and more) to NOT move to the MAC. FOR those very reasons, as well as competitive issues.

Getting things back on track, congrats to the Blue Devils and a hearty Thank You too. Makes not backing our appeal to the NCHSAA much more palatable .

It's amazing to me how many DA Tuscola fans (and DA "neutral observers) continue to downplay a 50 year old rivalry that is tied at 26-26-1. If you had won 4 straight games in the series, you would be crowing from the highest roof top at dawn every morning. The Tuscola fan base can't hold a burnt out candle to the community support that Pisgah and its students and athletes receive. The lack of loyalty to THS from the "changing demographic" has seen to that. The fact that you think the game doesn't matter anymore is evidence that you don't have any thoughts that are based in reality of tha game, the tradition, or the community at all.
Typical Canton hyperbole. Nobody says it doesn't matter. But do you now see that all that emotional investment got you exactly the same thing as us- a shared conference title?
None of our guys letter jackets have ever said "We Beat Pisgah" nor have I ever seen a Pisgah jacket say "We Beat Tuscola". I have seen conference champs patches in both towns. As to community support, you get no argument from me. We would love to see it here. The changing demographic is largely out of our control.

I would have to disagree with that statement Very few people I know had a problem with where he went to school. The problem a vast majority of people had was in his inability to be an effective head coach. That, and the incompetent principal that hired him over several other more qualified candidates.
I wonder where some of these seniors would be had he followed through on not having a JV team back in 2012?

Last edited:
mule, you made the comment that it took 50 years to tie the series. It took till 1984 for Tuscola to tie the series, that began in 1965. During that time, Tuscola had a 10 game win steak. For a sports writer, one would think you would use facts over false claims.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
mule, you made the comment that it took 50 years to tie the series. It took till 1984 for Tuscola to tie the series, that began in 1965. During that time, Tuscola had a 10 game win steak. For a sports writer, one would think you would use facts over false claims.
Proud to be a part of the start of that 10 year run!

Good luck to both Tuscola and Pisgah in the playoffs. Hopefully we can all advance deep in the playoffs with this being the last year this conference is together.

Typical Canton hyperbole. Nobody says it doesn't matter. But do you now see that all that emotional investment got you exactly the same thing as us- a shared conference title.

I would argue that the lack of emotional investment from THS, for the rivalry game, got YOU the same as us.
More emotional investment would have increased your chances of winning that game, which would have made you a shoo-in for an 11-0 record.

I think we knew we had to put more emotion into the THS game in order to win it, as a loss at that point would have almost certainly ended our shot at even sharing the title. If you had told our players, coaches, and fans before the season that we would: 1) end up with a 10-1 record, 2) win at least a share of the title, 3) have the top seed in the playoffs, 4) beat Tuscola again, I think they would have been very happy with that result, especially with so many juniors and sophomores starting for the first time.

Before the season, if the THS players, coaches, and fans had been told the same as #1-3, but added the loss to PHS, would they have been happy with those results? Don't think so. With the players you had coming back, I think most had visions of 11-0, outright title, top seed, and a win over PHS.

As it is, both teams had great seasons and can accomplish much more in the playoffs. Congrats and good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
over here in rocketville we will welcome tuscola with open arms. id love to see pisgah come on boiard too . it would be great if we could drop owen and north buncombe and pick those games up in my opinion

Problem is rocket, the MAC is so going to be so big, their non-conference scheduling is limited. Meanwhile, the WNCAC is going to have to begging for games. I hear Franklin was having a difficult time filling their schedule. We are keeping Pisgah, of course, and Swain and Smoky (which I personally could pass on-although the crowd this year at Sylva was outstanding).

With Kenny gone, I could see Owen looking to get out of your series but who knows.

I would argue that the lack of emotional investment from THS, for the rivalry game, got YOU the same as us.
More emotional investment would have increased your chances of winning that game, which would have made you a shoo-in for an 11-0 record.

I think we knew we had to put more emotion into the THS game in order to win it, as a loss at that point would have almost certainly ended our shot at even sharing the title. If you had told our players, coaches, and fans before the season that we would: 1) end up with a 10-1 record, 2) win at least a share of the title, 3) have the top seed in the playoffs, 4) beat Tuscola again, I think they would have been very happy with that result, especially with so many juniors and sophomores starting for the first time.

Before the season, if the THS players, coaches, and fans had been told the same as #1-3, but added the loss to PHS, would they have been happy with those results? Don't think so. With the players you had coming back, I think most had visions of 11-0, outright title, top seed, and a win over PHS.

As it is, both teams had great seasons and can accomplish much more in the playoffs. Congrats and good luck to both teams.

Please do not think for one second that the majority of fans from West Waynesville are not emotionally invested in the greatest rivalry in the state. Just because a certain HC down plays 50 years of tradition doesn't mean the rest of us do. Believe me, he DOES NOT speak for the community or fan base when he calls it "Just another game." He may not lose sleep over the loss, but the rest of the fan base hasn't slept in a month and is CHOMPING. AT. THE. BIT. For another shot at the Bears. Just pray for the sake of the Bears that he stays the head man for a bit longer. For as long as he's there Big T won't be county champs.

Last edited:

I felt that we had a legitimate opportunity to achieve 1-3. Didn't see Brevard having the success they have had and it is always dangerous to ever count Franklin out and West frankly isn't having the season that anyone thought they would have. I certainly didn't see us blowing out most of our opponents except for East. My assumption was there would be another battle kind of like last year, with the top 3 or 4 teams beating up on each other.

I always want to beat Pisgah and in my day, we did, and I'm sorry my kid won't ever be able to claim it, save 2014 JV. But in the end we'll get over it and it is now a battle vs. the war scenario. The ones running around on both sides of the county pointing to a 3rd round match-up don't have a clue how truly hard it is going to be for both teams to get that far. This new bracketing system makes it even tougher, in my opinion. If both or even one of us get there, its a great accomplishment.

Reactions: bigbear'10
I agree jubal. psychologically, the kids follow the coaches lead, so if he says its just another game, or we are just trying to get to 8-0, a loss doesn't end our season, etc, you can't help but feel that those comments affect their attitudes in some small way.

Your tall WR had a heck of a catch in front of me in the end zone. I'm not looking forward to seeing him during bball season.

Your tall WR had a heck of a catch in front of me in the end zone. I'm not looking forward to seeing him during bball season.
According to coach Chappell the Pisgah Brevard game next year will be the last game of the season.Could decide the conference champion again,of course I am Sure Hendersonville and the other conference teams will have something to say about that.

According to coach Chappell the Pisgah Brevard game next year will be the last game of the season.Could decide the conference champion again,of course I am Sure Hendersonville and the other conference teams will have something to say about that.
Don't forget about Franklin. Only 4 senior starters this year. I believe they will be back next year to winning 9-10 games.

Proud to be a part of the start of that 10 year run!
1984 until 2016. 32 years it took Pisgah to tie the series after THS took the lead. Pisgah has never had the lead in the series after 1984. Is that factual enough for you?

Please do not think for one second that the majority of fans from West Waynesville are not emotionally invested in the greatest rivalry in the state. Just because a certain HC down plays 50 years of tradition doesn't mean the rest of us do. Believe me, he DOES NOT speak for the community or fan base when he calls it "Just another game." He may not lose sleep over the loss, but the rest of the fan base hasn't slept in a month and is CHOMPING. AT. THE. BIT. For another shot at the Bears. Just pray for the sake of the Bears that he stays the head man for a bit longer. For as long as he's there Big T won't be county champs.
Maybe not, but THS might just win a few more conference championships (in all sports) instead of concentrating on putting all of their marbles on one game if they adopt his line of thinking, (and it appears that they are in large part) The new admin is weeding out the old guard as they are doing right now. (and have been since last year) and bringing in new blood can not help but be a good thing. Tuscola lost this year and moved on, while, if anything, Pisgah has been down ever since that game. Yes, Pisgah fans can point out that "WE BEAT TUSCOLA" but fail to see the letdown AFTER that game while still celebrating that momentous victory. I was told this is a condition sometimes referred to as "Clemsoning" or as I heard around town a couple times, "Chappeling" I dont exactly know what either term means, but I did get the idea that they weren't positive descriptions.
Tradition is all well and good, but it doesnt help NEXT years teams or the next games. Or pretending tradition is more important than the big picture. And no, one game in a 10 game (11) football schedule is not more important than any other. This year is living proof.

Last edited:
Maybe not, but THS might just win a few more conference championships (in all sports) instead of concentrating on putting all of their marbles on one game if they adopt his line of thinking, (and it appears that they are in large part) The new admin is weeding out the old guard as they are doing right now. (and have been since last year) and bringing in new blood can not help but be a good thing. Tuscola lost this year and moved on, while, if anything, Pisgah has been down ever since that game. Yes, Pisgah fans can point out that "WE BEAT TUSCOLA" but fail to see the letdown AFTER that game while still celebrating that momentous victory. I was told this is a condition sometimes referred to as "Clemsoning" or as I heard around town a couple times, "Chappeling" I dont exactly know what either term means, but I did get the idea that they weren't positive descriptions.
Tradition is all well and good, but it doesnt help NEXT years teams or the next games. Or pretending tradition is more important than the big picture. And no, one game in a 10 game (11) football schedule is no more important than any other. This year is living proof.

With the move to the MAC next year, THS is going to have a tough time winning very many conference championships in the major sports. Football - tough year in and year out; men's and women's soccer - very doubtful (and THS has been really good in the WNCAC); basketball - probably the best chance over the next few years; baseball - doubtful, but not impossible; volleyball - West will always be tough to beat.

With the move to the MAC next year, THS is going to have a tough time winning very many conference championships in the major sports. Football - tough year in and year out; men's and women's soccer - very doubtful (and THS has been really good in the WNCAC); basketball - probably the best chance over the next few years; baseball - doubtful, but not impossible; volleyball - West will always be tough to beat.
Not a thing they can do about that. Wish there were something but the cards have been dealt.

we used to have a great game with owen every year but its just not the same anymore. too many onesided games doesnt make good rivals. in my opinion it wud be fine to drop them and move on

Reading thru all these posts I am baffled that this whoamule guy is a reporter for the newspaper... to me he has crossed the line of fan/professional.

Reactions: I-40 traveler
Reading thru all these posts I am baffled that this whoamule guy is a reporter for the newspaper... to me he has crossed the line of fan/professional.
He has crossed a number of lines in his lifetime that reveals a lack of wisdom, knowledge, and common sense

Well ill be glad to "unbaffle you." (both of you in fact.) For the record, It isnt up to you to determine where such a "line" is. OR what you think is permissible or not permissible speech. That is for others to determine, (which they are free to do any time they want.) Now, if its OK with you, and even if it isn't OK with you, it is called freedom of speech. It is a guaranteed right in the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution. (the one above the 2nd Amendment) If you feel that I have said things that in your words, (cross the line,) by all means, take your complaints to those who DO have the authority to make such a call instead of a sports message board. Ill be glad to put you right in contact with any and all that have that authority. Or others in here can do the same. Hope that helps clear up some of your confusion.

Well ill be glad to "unbaffle you." (both of you in fact.) For the record, It isnt up to you to determine where such a "line" is. OR what you think is permissible or not permissible speech. That is for others to determine, (which they are free to do any time they want.) Now, if its OK with you, and even if it isn't OK with you, it is called freedom of speech. It is a guaranteed right in the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution. (the one above the 2nd Amendment) If you feel that I have said things that in your words, (cross the line,) by all means, take your complaints to those who DO have the authority to make such a call instead of a sports message board. Ill be glad to put you right in contact with any and all that have that authority. Or others in here can do the same. Hope that helps clear up some of your confusion.
You seem to enjoy being a living, walking comic book! I just can't take you serious!

Reactions: PisgahBear9975
Thanks for the history lesson on freedom of speech Mule, I feel so enlightened now that you've cleared that up for me. I have no dog in this fight as far as Haywood Co but all I am saying is if you're a professional(news reporter) then it's very unprofessional to be on here bashing people in the county that you're a reporter in, on the topics that you report on. You need to write a news article about what you say on here. (Remember that freedom of speech lesson). Put that in the news paper.... oh wait those comments wouldn't be considered professional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT