ADVERTISEMENT

Pinecrest at Richmond

Thanks to all who provided updates...even you scotswin......;)

Not the most talented team PC has had recently but definitely the most hard working and unified. Hate to hear turnovers were a factor.

Best of luck to Richmond and Scotland in the playoffs.

SeC=State Champs

Reactions: Ben-Badd
Pinecrest will be there... They stuck to their plan and it came within 43 secs... They're no slouch.

What a great game even though the refs were the worst of the year
I really dont want to blame the refs.....I do disagree with the positioning of the officials...The umpire 10-15 yards behind ball and he calls linemen down field or even holding...Dang, I just cant understand that...The sideline officials standing OUT OF BOUNDS...cant understand that...How can they calI something from 30-40 yards away, ESPECIALLY WHEN BALL IS ON FAR HASH......I thought the referee called a fair game.....Only question I had was arm going forward on play before half that resulted in td for pinecrest...I really think the southeastern group should have some serious discussion about positioning....Only other call I would question was the deep pass interference call against Richmond...I thought we had lost it when ep was blocked, another special team failure, BUT that special team ko return was something special THAT MADE UP FOR THE BLOCK....I dont know who # 83 is for the Raiders but he wiped someone out on that last KO return..............Congratulations Raiders...You could have laid down at the end.....BUT you chose to rise to the occasion....I was impressed at how the qb #11 from pinecrest ran down to the Raiders huddle after game and motioned for them to come to the center of the field for prayer...He then stood in the middle and led the prayer....CLASS ACT MY FRIEND......Great game , I got my 7.00 dollars worth tonight..Who do we play next...:D..nuff said...

Last edited:
Raider defense played well.. Refs gave Pinecrest a TD on the QB fumble.. Raider offense missed some chances. Back breaking kick off the return by Miller. Great game,now focus on Scotland..

This Scots and Raiders game will be a hard fought game. I take my hat off to both of these teams. Some of these Dudes on here have never played a down of football. Those Dudes love trying to get under your skin, ignore them.

I do disagree with the positioning of the officials...The umpire 10-15 yards behind ball and he calls linemen down field or even holding...Dang, I just cant understand that...The sideline officials standing OUT OF BOUNDS...cant understand that...

Serious discussion has already occurred on positioning and continues to occur. It's discussed prior to the season, at scrimmages, clinics and in emails that are communicated with officials every week.

The move of the umpire from the defensive backfield to the offensive backfield is one that two local associations have made and has the full support of the NCHSAA. The offensive backfield position is safer for the players and the umpire. It prevents teams from using the umpire as a pick/screen. Most importantly, it's gives the umpire a better look at offensive line play, including illegal blocks and holding. That's one of the main reasons both the NCAA and NFL also place the umpire/CJ in the backfield.

The linesman, as well as the umpire, is responsible for ineligibles downfield, as linesman only moves a few yards downfield until after the ball is released. It's not a difficult call to make. Remember that it's their position when the ball is released and if they are engaged or the pass doesn't cross the LOS, it's a moot point. So it's fairly obvious when an ineligible is where he shouldn't be.

Finally, the umpire is initially positioned at 10 yards and adjusts accordingly, never at 15 yards and never deeper that the referee.

Wing officials at every level start the play on the sideline. As for calling something 30-40 yards away, they don't nor should they. When the ball is snapped, adjustments are made accordingly. If the play goes to the opposite hash, the high school wing official does not remain on the sideline. He moves toward the hash marks to provide backside coverage to clean up, watch for illegal hits and cheap shots.

Take a look at those things at the next game you attend. Hope that helps!

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Serious discussion has already occurred on positioning and continues to occur. It's discussed prior to the season, at scrimmages, clinics and in emails that are communicated with officials every week.

The move of the umpire from the defensive backfield to the offensive backfield is one that two local associations have made and has the full support of the NCHSAA. The offensive backfield position is safer for the players and the umpire. It prevents teams from using the umpire as a pick/screen. Most importantly, it's gives the umpire a better look at offensive line play, including illegal blocks and holding. That's one of the main reasons both the NCAA and NFL also place the umpire/CJ in the backfield.

The linesman, as well as the umpire, is responsible for ineligibles downfield, as linesman only moves a few yards downfield until after the ball is released. It's not a difficult call to make. Remember that it's their position when the ball is released and if they are engaged or the pass doesn't cross the LOS, it's a moot point. So it's fairly obvious when an ineligible is where he shouldn't be.

Finally, the umpire is initially positioned at 10 yards and adjusts accordingly, never at 15 yards and never deeper that the referee.

Wing officials at every level start the play on the sideline. As for calling something 30-40 yards away, they don't nor should they. When the ball is snapped, adjustments are made accordingly. If the play goes to the opposite hash, the high school wing official does not remain on the sideline. He moves toward the hash marks to provide backside coverage to clean up, watch for illegal hits and cheap shots.

Take a look at those things at the next game you attend. Hope that helps!

Good info - I'm more concerned about the lack of conditioning of the refs - I know we will all get old and add pounds but some of these guys are truly out of position to make calls and I think a good portion of it has to do with their conditioning. This really needs to addressed. There should be a conditioning test for refs - Also, a 6th ref needs to be added to the game. The game is a lot faster than it was 10 years ago. The spread has changed a lot and the officiating has not adapted.

Good info - I'm more concerned about the lack of conditioning of the refs - I know we will all get old and add pounds but some of these guys are truly out of position to make calls and I think a good portion of it has to do with their conditioning. This really needs to addressed. There should be a conditioning test for refs - Also, a 6th ref needs to be added to the game. The game is a lot faster than it was 10 years ago. The spread has changed a lot and the officiating has not adapted.

Jmac,

I would like to see 6 man crew, I agree with players spread all over the place is more difficult to cover. I am a veteran official, probably fall into some of the categories you described. Do you realize how much pre season work is involved before we even walk on field opening night. The young guys are not coming into officiating, too much work for the reward. See thread on " Is this where we are headed" under the ask the ref section. It has an article about shortage of officials in another state and some very good comments by some of our veteran officials in different areas of the state.

Jmac,

I would like to see 6 man crew, I agree with players spread all over the place is more difficult to cover. I am a veteran official, probably fall into some of the categories you described. Do you realize how much pre season work is involved before we even walk on field opening night. The young guys are not coming into officiating, too much work for the reward. See thread on " Is this where we are headed" under the ask the ref section. It has an article about shortage of officials in another state and some very good comments by some of our veteran officials in different areas of the state.
yes i officiated for 5 plus seasons and I know the work I put in but I also know a lot of guys just showed up. I got out because of a bad knee that I thought was not allowing me to be the best I could be plus I had issues with how the association was operated. I think that has changed (it was truly a good ol boy system at it's best) and if I'm going to do something out of the love of it i need to enjoy the atmosphere no one is getting rich officiating maybe (some of the booking supervisors) lol. I'm not someone speaking from (i hate the refs) perspective. I'm speaking from a basis of being one and actually knowing the process.

Last edited:
JMAC, thanks for your comments. In a perfect world, all officials would be 6' tall and weigh 175 pounds. But in reality, that's never going to happen. However, let's pretend for a minute. Let's agree to those standards. You're going to be playing varsity games on Thursday and Friday nights, a couple of games in Saturday and probably one on Sunday. Why? Because there simply aren't enough people who are interested in officiating who would meet those standards, so all games couldn't be played on a Friday night. Even then, guys such as myself have no interest in giving my entire weekend to football for 12 weeks. That's what would happen when you start creating all these standards. We have trouble covering all the games on some Fridays as it is.

Very few calls are missed because officials are out of position. We put them in the best position with the mechanics we use. Are players faster than officials? Absolutely and always will be. But very few calls are made on the run. Calls are missed because of inexperience and training more than anything. But even with advanced training and veteran experience calls are still missed every Sunday.

6 man crews are a start but they're not the answer. Leaves the middle of the field wide open. 7 man crews are the best answer but schools have no interest in spending an extra $150 a game on two additional officials. The state supervisor had to fight for the $6 increase we received 4 years ago.

So while it may seem that a few ideas would improve things greatly, know that the same ideas have been discussed and other issues become more apparent when those discussions occurred.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
JMAC, thanks for your comments. In a perfect world, all officials would be 6' tall and weigh 175 pounds. But in reality, that's never going to happen. However, let's pretend for a minute. Let's agree to those standards. You're going to be playing varsity games on Thursday and Friday nights, a couple of games in Saturday and probably one on Sunday. Why? Because there simply aren't enough people who are interested in officiating who would meet those standards, so all games couldn't be played on a Friday night. Even then, guys such as myself have no interest in giving my entire weekend to football for 12 weeks. That's what would happen when you start creating all these standards. We have trouble covering all the games on some Fridays as it is.

Very few calls are missed because officials are out of position. We put them in the best position with the mechanics we use. Are players faster than officials? Absolutely and always will be. But very few calls are made on the run. Calls are missed because of inexperience and training more than anything. But even with advanced training and veteran experience calls are still missed every Sunday.

6 man crews are a start but they're not the answer. Leaves the middle of the field wide open. 7 man crews are the best answer but schools have no interest in spending an extra $150 a game on two additional officials. The state supervisor had to fight for the $6 increase we received 4 years ago.

So while it may seem that a few ideas would improve things greatly, know that the same ideas have been discussed and other issues become more apparent when those discussions occurred.
FC Ref I hear you but is it too much to ask a guy to be able to have a minimum level of conditioning. No one is asking for a bunch of 20 year old ex players running sub 5.0 forty yd dash. I'm just asking for a guy to be able to get down field on a pass play to make the right call or to come up to the LOS to determine if a lineman is down field. Not trying to regulate officiating with unattainable standards but if players and coaches are held accountable refs should be to. That's really all I'm saying "you are cheating the game if you are not in the best shape you can be to do the job"! In the end I have no beef I know a lot folks that want no part of being a ref but they complain about them daily.

Reactions: FBRef
And this is not an isolated problem in just one area of the state. It is everywhere.
This is rhetorical but has the question why been asked? What is the recruitment like for officials? I know when I started I saw a notice in the local paper. Not sure that is the best way to get more folks out. It is a significant time commitment if you are doing middle school games, 9th grade, JV, Varsity and then like you said many guys are doing small college ball as well. Again I truly understand its not easy because if it was then everyone would be doing it.

Reactions: FBRef
My point is that no matter what standard you set, you're going to have people who can't meet them. In fact, we already have standards that prevent some from working varsity contests. You can always create more stringent standards and improve the product. But you're still going to eliminate people and push us closer toward the scenarios I stated earlier

We've created a recruiting video that we use. We have a website and a brochure with sign up information. We ask to speak at the high school sports banquets and talk to the players about the opportunities officiating presents but many schools turn down our requests. We post flyers at local colleges and universities and ask to meet with student athletes but don't get much positive cooperation.

We had almost 20 new officials this year in football. We'll be lucky to have 5 of them still with us in 5 years.

Last edited:
He was the difference that fumbled punt gave us a short field for the first td. Besides that he did very little
Ok - See you friday as we punch you all right in the snack box. Let's see how you fair then. If you think #4 did nothing you know very little about football. The kid was playing OLB then switched to safety and based on your horrible offensive production he had to be doing something. Again see you Friday don't let those two freight trains from SC truck you!

Reactions: swett2victory
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT