ADVERTISEMENT

Page High School is open

What is your thoughts?
Just a known fact and I really want to hear your thoughts about this. In most schools we talk about the coach and the coaching experience but can we really say that this is the case for Page. Hear me out! 300 hundred kids are coming from Swann Elementary and will be at Mendenhall next school year. My question you is this; Should Page hire a known coach? Or should they hire someone that the kids already know. I say for a number of reasons. Walkertown did the same thing and did hire within and brought in someone and they are naked now. There is one coach on staff that they could hire but the question that I also ask now is when do we give chances to coaches that have paid their dues? This is just a question. I have seen many different coaches get jobs and kids just don't mesh. Tell me your thoughts?

Reactions: nwguilford007
Just a known fact and I really want to hear your thoughts about this. In most schools we talk about the coach and the coaching experience but can we really say that this is the case for Page. Hear me out! 300 hundred kids are coming from Swann Elementary and will be at Mendenhall next school year. My question you is this; Should Page hire a known coach? Or should they hire someone that the kids already know. I say for a number of reasons. Walkertown did the same thing and did hire within and brought in someone and they are naked now. There is one coach on staff that they could hire but the question that I also ask now is when do we give chances to coaches that have paid their dues? This is just a question. I have seen many different coaches get jobs and kids just don't mesh. Tell me your thoughts?
Its a pretty fine line, but I think hiring a coach from a lower level of ball is probably not going to work out at a place like Page. It doesn't matter how many kids they "know". It really comes down to being able to sell who they are genuinely to parents from the get go. If a coach can do that, they will want their kid to play for them. But, it truly doesn't matter where they come from, as long as Page gets a proven program builder, someone who can make something out of nothing, so-to-speak (although the cupboard is not bare). Someone who can build genuine relationships where the young men will run through brick walls for him.. but also be a disciplinarian and hold kids accountable.

Coach Rob was a great fit for Page when it came to the characteristics, we as fans, look for in a coach. It just didn't work out with regards to maintaining his staff and, more notably, roster. Maybe he was a bit too abrasive for some.

Its a pretty fine line, but I think hiring a coach from a lower level of ball is probably not going to work out at a place like Page. It doesn't matter how many kids they "know". It really comes down to being able to sell who they are genuinely to parents from the get go. If a coach can do that, they will want their kid to play for them. But, it truly doesn't matter where they come from, as long as Page gets a proven program builder, someone who can make something out of nothing, so-to-speak (although the cupboard is not bare). Someone who can build genuine relationships where the young men will run through brick walls for him.. but also be a disciplinarian and hold kids accountable.

Coach Rob was a great fit for Page when it came to the characteristics, we as fans, look for in a coach. It just didn't work out with regards to maintaining his staff and, more notably, roster. Maybe he was a bit too abrasive for some.

Depends on who you get from the lower level. Crest struck good with their coach.

Reactions: PagePirates44
I believe Doug has had several assistants leave to become head coaches. Wonder how much effect that had.
Yeah, one went to Walkertown, one to Eastern Guilford (he left to be an assistant and is now the head coach) and one took the AD job at Page. The others left to be assistants elsewhere. It had a big effect. The offense has looked too uncoordinated the past couple of years, and many kids left this summer because some coaches departed.

You have a great opinion. This is why I like this site. I have been coaching my entire life and sometimes we all know that there are different mindsets when it comes to staff and promotions and so on but I am not sure if we can really put any emphasis for building because that also comes with administrations factoring in would you agree? Coach Rob was a wonderful fit but do think that maybe the demographics may not be as diplomatic for his orthodox philosophies. I am also an old school guy who understand the ways and morals that should be taught but when you don't bend a little bit, this generation won't stick around for the ending story. Just a thought and how everything is coming into the coaching world. I am so happy that I am not coaching on the high school level anymore simply because of that. Thank you for your reply!

For example, Coach Gillespie came from Trinity and only had 5 years of head coaching experience when he came to Page. He took a Trinity program that isn't traditionally good and made a playoff run in his 2nd year. This is what I mean by "turn something out of nothing." He had a old school sort of "country boy" mentality that took no crap and gave kids tough love. He was also an offensive mind and knew how to develop a QB and offensive line.

Reactions: FootballThanos2023
For example, Coach Gillespie came from Trinity and only had 5 years of head coaching experience when he came to Page. He took a Trinity program that isn't traditionally good and made a playoff run in his 2nd year. This is what I mean by "turn something out of nothing." He had a old school sort of "country boy" mentality that took no crap and gave kids tough love. He was also an offensive mind and knew how to develop a QB and offensive line.
I am good friends with Coach G. Great person!

For example, Coach Gillespie came from Trinity and only had 5 years of head coaching experience when he came to Page. He took a Trinity program that isn't traditionally good and made a playoff run in his 2nd year. This is what I mean by "turn something out of nothing." He had an old school sort of "country boy" mentality that took no crap and gave kids tough love. He was also an offensive mind and knew how to develop a QB and offensive line.
And he had Norman Weeks running the D

Reactions: PagePirates44
For example, Coach Gillespie came from Trinity and only had 5 years of head coaching experience when he came to Page. He took a Trinity program that isn't traditionally good and made a playoff run in his 2nd year. This is what I mean by "turn something out of nothing." He had an old school sort of "country boy" mentality that took no crap and gave kids tough love. He was also an offensive mind and knew how to develop a QB and offensive line.
And I do believe that one running back that just happens to be at Trinity was the only reason
i think it comes down to college connections….if they can find a coach that has a history of getting kids committed to colleges page will be back

Let him swing the bat

Kinda ironic that Kevin and Doug more or less swapped jobs. Not directly, but eventually. Knew them both well at Thomasville and their styles are very similar when it comes to interaction with players.
The demographics at Thomasville are certainly not old school country boy, but both coaches commanded the respect of their players.
The Bulldogs are fortunate to have had both of them.

Been watching Page since moving to Charlotte in 2011, when they gave the teams down here all they wanted. Coach G had them moving in the right direction for sure. He built a dominant program during his tenure. With the next coach, it fizzled out, and you started to rarely hear anything about them. Then Coach R came in and I think everyone expected him to be the savior. Unfair to him, for where the program was at that time, but it is what he walked into. From afar it looks as if there has been little to no improvement on their part. Can one question if the program is further behind than when Coach was hired?

Been watching Page since moving to Charlotte in 2011, when they gave the teams down here all they wanted. Coach G had them moving in the right direction for sure. He built a dominant program during his tenure. With the next coach, it fizzled out, and you started to rarely hear anything about them. Then Coach R came in and I think everyone expected him to be the savior. Unfair to him, for where the program was at that time, but it is what he walked into. From afar it looks as if there has been little to no improvement on their part. Can one question if the program is further behind than when Coach was hired?
He wasn't fired. he resigned. Page just like Grimsley has a opportunity window and when it closes that is it! Coach G. did an excellent job and I Think the current coach saw the kids and the pedigree of the program. Sometimes it just don't pan out the we we want it too. I have also seen coaches walk into a situation and the program was right in the mist of being good. I have seen what they have personally they are a sleeping giant.

Page just like Grimsley has a opportunity window and when it closes that is it! Coach G. did an excellent job and I Think the current coach saw the kids and the pedigree of the program. Sometimes it just don't pan out the we we want it too. I have also seen coaches walk into a situation and the program was right in the mist of being good. I have seen what they have personally they are a sleeping giant.
Donkey ears for me....Hired....sorry!

I agree it is unfair to him and it did seem like he was bought in to be a savior(although this was said to have been a dream of his) especially how things went with the prior coach being fired. I still say that had he not been hit hard by the transfer bug(I don't mean for this to be a shot at anyone) he would have Page looking like Page of the old and this conversation may not even be being had! I strongly believe that but I also know that my opinion is just an opinion!

Kinda ironic that Kevin and Doug more or less swapped jobs. Not directly, but eventually. Knew them both well at Thomasville and their styles are very similar when it comes to interaction with players.
The demographics at Thomasville are certainly not old school country boy, but both coaches commanded the respect of their players.
What was the browns way cause obviously that worked

You have to be really careful with this new generation. You really can't even get mad. When I am at practice I can't even keep the player's long because they will report your to the compliance department. These new guys won't even let you keep them in the weight room longer then the time needed. If you go over they will report you.

Im assuming he's speaking of Benjie and Allen from Thomasville since that's what was mentioned above and i'll just say since I played for the Browns that their way very closely resembled Robertson's from what i can see
There was a thread that ran from Cushwa through the Browns to Robertson and Gillespie. All coaches who instilled discipline and commanded respect.

I wasn't referring to the demographics of the school being country boy, I was talking about coach g's persona being like that.

Rob lives in southeast rockingham county. I don’t think he will move. Southern will be an easier drive than some of the other jobs he has taken. Teague is in the southern alamance hall of fame. If rob applies for the job, I think it’s his. He will come in as an outsider and will not have any enemies in the sheriffs department.

Reactions: RammanuelKant
Coach Rob's son was a starting OL and a senior ... that may have played into the scenario. Who knows, he may take a few years off. He's been doing a lot of commuting all these years after leaving Reidsville, where he still resides.

Reactions: btango
Coach Rob's son was a starting OL and a senior ... that may have played into the scenario. Who knows, he may take a few years off. He's been doing a lot of commuting all these years after leaving Reidsville, where he still resides.
I understand.

Yeah, one went to Walkertown, one to Eastern Guilford (he left to be an assistant and is now the head coach) and one took the AD job at Page. The others left to be assistants elsewhere. It had a big effect. The offense has looked too uncoordinated the past couple of years, and many kids left this summer because some coaches departed.
You know I know something about this next hire but I am going to keep this one close to the vest. Just know it’s going to be a power shift within a few years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT