ADVERTISEMENT

Page High School is open

Hearing some pretty big news coming out of the Page camp recently. Enthusiasm is building. More on this later in the summer!

Edit: I will clarify that what I heard did not come from anyone at Page.

Last edited:
Hearing some pretty big news coming out of the Page camp recently. Enthusiasm is building. More on this later in the summer!
Id like to see page come back and run guilford…..any transfers? Enthusiasm is great but great players win. When I watched that Grimsley vs page game the talent difference was not close

Reactions: PagePirate1989
Pirate44

Listen...I was able to meet your new coach this weekend. I can see the excitement that he brings to the table. Kids will play for him at first. I worry, though, that when it comes to ball, he may not have any idea what he is getting into. I hear all about the recruiting, etc...Kids want to win, and there is a BIG difference between Page and Grimsley and it starts with coaching.

Pirate44

Listen...I was able to meet your new coach this weekend. I can see the excitement that he brings to the table. Kids will play for him at first. I worry, though, that when it comes to ball, he may not have any idea what he is getting into. I hear all about the recruiting, etc...Kids want to win, and there is a BIG difference between Page and Grimsley and it starts with coaching.
I agree....don't know if he is an X and o's kinda guy. Grimsley even got exposed coaching wise vs weddington imo

Pirate44

Ive seen plenty of teams with a HC that was out of touch and clueless but had the assistants to make up for it.

From what I hear from Page camp, the staff seems to be shaking up with a bunch of rah rah guys, with not a whole lot of x's and o's. Pirate44, can you expand on this? Heard a couple of the hires are questionable.

From what I hear from Page camp, the staff seems to be shaking up with a bunch of rah rah guys, with not a whole lot of x's and o's. Pirate44, can you expand on this? Heard a couple of the hires are questionable.
I literally have no clue what you're talking about. It sounds like you know a lot more than I do. The only guy who I heard is on his staff is Summers. Why don't you tell me?

Last edited:
Also, they ran a middle school offense when they won the state title in 2011 he was just a heck of a athelete surrounded by a group of good athletes. everyone knows that the defense won that title for them....Norman Weeks ain't no joke.
That tells me very little to back up your argument. You have zero clue what he did while at ECU, in the NFL, and in his semi-pro career... or what he does in his spare time. youre just assuming based off what he did in high school? come on man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pirate44, I just thought you would be able to clue us in. I know what I know, and most of that is what I have heard. I do know only two veteran coaches he had in the building are not coaching for him. Hate to be a skeptic, but do you think that this was a rush hire?

Also, they ran a middle school offense when they won the state title in 2011 he was just a heck of a athelete surrounded by a group of good athletes. everyone knows that the defense won that title for them....Norman Weeks ain't no joke.
They beat a very loaded Butler and Mallard Creek, back to back that year in the playoffs. Both teams were loaded with way more talent than Page. Coaching was on point.

They beat a very loaded Butler and Mallard Creek, back to back that year in the playoffs. Both teams were loaded with way more talent than Page. Coaching was on point.
Couldn’t agree more!! I was at the mallard creek game…..I think they ran into Richmond county as well

You're, from what I gather, a fan/alum of Northwest. Why would you want Page to " run " Guilford County ?
P.S. Are you related to Alma ?
Coach Kirby was friends with my grandpa and was a super class act……also met Frank starling and ken Paige and both were super guys….I know they are long gone but I still have a lil pirate in me. Also, my dad told me stories of traveling around watching page in the 80,s when Dunn, Ellis, welborne, moving Marvin Johnson and others were playing….page is a special place

Also I have grown to accept northwest guilford is not a football school

Good Morning,
I am wishing all of the new coaches for a successful up coming season. I hope the board is doing good and I hope you can give me some intel on some talent around the area. Every coach that is in a new position will have a new learning curve. I have read some comments but I will just say this, it is not how much you know, but how much you get your players to know. I have seen some simple schemes that have brought great results and I have also seen great schemes bring nothing.
Please understand that the coaching field is getting really scarce. The Coaches that we think won't do well usually will depending on the support. I hope everyone have a great day!

How do you figure that?
We can sometime under estimate the mentorship when it comes to coaching. X and O's is not everything that it seems to be. In 2005 we scrimmage Southern Durham and they were in Power I and had 8 d-1 kids. They did not win it! So, sometimes its the right fit for who can rally the troops. If you can't keep the kids, you will turn the tide.

Reactions: PagePirates44
Pirate44, I just thought you would be able to clue us in. I know what I know, and most of that is what I have heard. I do know only two veteran coaches he had in the building are not coaching for him. Hate to be a skeptic, but do you think that this was a rush hire?
I can answer that one for you. Administration have a job to do. Please understand that first, the kids is the most important thing for any school. My buddy at Millbrook got that job and first thing that I told him was to trust no one! Page is the same type of job for coaches who will play for position AKA( jocking for position). Think of like this, you can't hire everyone one want because you have coaches that are teaching in the building so the hire makes sense. Every school is a victim of their availability. Some people can interview well don't mean that they fit the culture. Although we talk about experience that is not always the case. I have seen some coaches with less experience get jobs and because the schools pedigree they look like genius's. I truly believe that this is a situation that they understand and when someone is connected to the community, it is a hard push not to make the decision that means that it looks negative for the program. I my other post I stated that the mentorship is underestimated. If or when coach Hann gets the kids from the middle schools in three years then you can say that this was a questionable hire or not. Every Coach has to start somewhere. Nick Saban wasn't the coach that he was without the trial and error. Every program goes through it! If I can give Coach Hann any advise, I would tell him that he will be only as good as his assistant coaches. Don't be afraid to get rid of any coaches that can't handle the expectations and don't hire your friend.

Last edited:
I can answer that one for you. Administration have a job to do. Please understand that first, the kids is the most important thing for any school. My buddy at Millbrook got that job and first thing that I told him was to trust no one! Page is the same type of job for coaches who will play for position AKA( jocking for position). Think of like this, you can't hire everyone one want because you have coaches that are teaching in the building so the hire makes sense. Every school is a victim of their availability. Some people can interview well don't mean that they fit the culture. Although we talk about experience that is not always the case. I have seen some coaches with less experience get jobs and because the schools pedigree they look like genius's. I truly believe that this is a situation that they understand and when someone is connected to the community, it is a hard push not to make the decision that means it look not good for the program. I my other post I stated that the mentorship is underestimated. If or when coach hand gets the kids from the middle schools in three years then you can say that this was a questionable hire or not. Every Coach has to start somewhere. Nick Saban was the coach that he was without the trial and error. Every program goes through it! If I can give Coach Hann any advise, I would tell him that he will be only as good as his assistant coaches. Don't be afraid to get rid of any coaches that can't handle the expectations and don't hire your friend.
Very true

no attacks just facts

I watched that game. Now to be fair to Page they were not respected at all. Page was very good on defense. They were average on offense. Summers was the difference maker. Mallard Creek had a at best average offense and to be honest under achieved with that team. That coach went on to start his legacy and Butler in my opinion that year was the better team but once again sometimes being styles makes fights. Butler had the number 1 or 2 QB in the country at the time. I say all that so say this, when the talent levels is some what the same or equal the decision of the coaching does play a part but only a small percent. Kids still have to play and that is facts! The other facts are staffs are not coaching together like they did back them either. If I could say right now whoever puts together a super staff just like those older days, we would see that same results!

Reactions: PagePirates44
I watched that game. Now to be fair to Page they were not respected at all. Page was very good on defense. They were average on offense. Summers was the difference maker. Mallard Creek had a at best average offense and to be honest under achieved with that team. That coach went on to start his legacy and Butler in my opinion that year was the better team but once again sometimes being styles makes fights. Butler had the number 1 or 2 QB in the country at the time. I say all that so say this, when the talent levels is some what the same or equal the decision of the coaching does play a part but only a small percent. Kids still have to play and that is facts! The other facts are staffs are not coaching together like they did back them either. If I could say right now whoever puts together a super staff just like those older days, we would see that same results!
That average offense averaged almost 50 points a game,13-0 going into that game, along with one of the best OC’s to ever come through Charlotte. (Aaron Brand) Defense allowed 9.6 points a game. They also beat Butler that year. School was only 4 years old. Page was well coached and very prepared. Page staff did an outstanding job.

Because of the under pay in Charlotte. 85% of the Head coaches wouldn’t be head coaches if the pay was like South Carolina. An overwhelming number of Elite coaches are not coming to Charlotte, because of the horrible pay. 6 figure salaries draw different guys. Building a long-term super staff, will be a difficult task. Eventually guys will move on to their big pay day in SC, or GA. Which has become a norm in Charlotte

Last edited:
That average offense averaged almost 50 points a game,13-0 going into that game, along with one of the best OC’s to ever come through Charlotte. (Aaron Brand) They also beat Butler that year. School was only 3 years old. Page was well coached and very prepared. Their staff did an outstanding job.

Because of the under pay in Charlotte. 85% of the Head coaches wouldn’t be head coaches if the pay was like South Carolina. An overwhelming number of Elite coaches are not coming to Charlotte, because of the horrible pay. 6 figure salaries draw different guys. Building a long-term super staff, will be a difficult task. Eventually guys will move on to their big pay day in SC, or GA. Which has become a norm in Charlotte
You are correct, I was offered a huge job in GA, and the pay is great! What that don't tell you about GA is the pay is good but so is the blame. My friend G is great coach and he will go down in the history books. I consider myself one of the elite OC's if you are talking about 50 points a game. I did that at Andrews high school which is still the record till this day. I also have a Ring so I do understand the pay and how everything is weighed. I will say that being on the college level is better but I miss the high schools. SC is also a hot-bed for coaching too but no matter what the school the fit must be right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT