ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Hales Leaving Butler

How could you say Palmieri was “set up” for early success when he was taking over a new situation. Sounds to me he was setting up the program. Secondly when opening a school typically it sucks students/talent from other schools. What juggernaut did MC pull from that set them up for success? Back in those days the best talent was in Matthews and Mint Hill. Butler and Indy was routinely rolling everyone over in the city.

Even if Coach P got all star talent which I don’t know if I believe. This was still a new school with no football history or foundation and to turn things around quickly is still impressive.
They got talent from West Charlotte, Indy, Hopewell, and North Meck. Those areas were zoned for those schools prior to MC. Indy, WC historically has pulled players from East and north Charlotte that went to MC. Also WC had a larger group of affluent blacks, that they lost to other schools and became a low income school. Most migrated to the university/MC area and MC was a big recipient. During that time frame if a poll were taken MC would be almost 50% affluent blacks. which was a huge benefit. Then the apt market near the school was booming.

-The biggest myth is that that Mint Hill/Matthews area had more talent than the north. FALSE. Indy had Knotts and Butler opened in 97 which drew alot of talent over from other areas of the city. RIGHT now the talent in the MC/Chambers area is incredible. The northend/ University/MC area has been super talented the past 20-25 years. MC and Chambers Football definitely benefitted from that. MC has a pipeline of talent.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
You said that a bunch of players transferred in to keep the dynasty going. That is false. He started winning after the 1st year. You also mentioned support. Karen Mckaig (AD) was not a fan of Palmieri or Football, so I'm curious where that support was coming from. She was the one that self-reported a kid that hardly played that forfeited the entire season. 9th grade residency is not a trick. Mallard Creek didn't invent family's moving into the area because of the success of the program. That's been going on for decades. Ardrey Kell had growth with New Homes that exploded with growth. What happen with their perfect storm? They have top 5 enrollment in the state. They've never been a State Championship contender. Those are facts.

You downsized his accomplishments to make an argument for Ferebee being some type of guru great coach. Although he was given a much better hand than Palmieri. He built nothing from scratch.
Your opinion. MC talent base area is great. Never said Palmieir wasn't a great coach, never said KNotts was the the GOAT he is. Just stating that Palmieiri didn't go to Harding, or Garinger, or even NM. MC was a sleeping giant with tons of talent assigned to the school. And it was easy to get into MC to play football through residency.

YOu are down playing Ferebee cause you dont like the guy. Be he is a helluva coach and will do very well at Butler if he goes there.

Btango! To my understanding it was because of a problem with reclassification. He was a Special Ed kid entered in the system incorrectly at NM. He moved from VA, Never played football before arriving to MC.

120% sure he was not the best player on the team, and definitely played sparingly.. I confirmed that.
He was a transfer IIRC. But MC didn't get transfers let you tell it. All home grown. LOL Just a few off the top of the doom. Wont dig too deep......

Dustin Noller?
Casey Kelly?
Quasean Holmes?
Isaiah Lassiter?
Takahre Donaldson?
Horton?
Lawrence Pittman?
Marquez North?
Jordan Davis?
Thad Moss?
Nafese Lyon?
Cam Lowery?
Jacobe Clement?
Charles Mincy?
Omari Alexander?

Last edited:
Your opinion. MC talent base area is great. Never said Palmieir wasn't a great coach, never said KNotts was the the GOAT he is. Just stating that Palmieiri didn't go to Harding, or Garinger, or even NM. MC was a sleeping giant with tons of talent assigned to the school. And it was easy to get into MC to play football through residency.

YOu are down playing Ferebee cause you dont like the guy. Be he is a helluva coach and will do very well at Butler if he goes there.
Never met Ferebee. I'm not in the business of not liking a person. That's Juvenile. I'll fight you and have a beer with you 15 minutes afterwards. 😂 That's not how I move. Why would I not like him? Guy came into Vance in sealed a deal. COME ON MAN! You're reaching.

Last edited:
LJ was in support of Stone.
LJ is cool for waiting it out. He’s still young (think he’s 38?) and he’s having fun teaching, spending more time with his family and not having the responsibility of OC/HC title right now. Got to know him really well and that year at Chambers took a toll on him. I’m a Vance/Big Chambo man through and through, but our community put a lot of unrealistic expectations on LJ and B Wiggs going into that 2022 season. We had so many injuries, ran up on that really good AC Reynolds team in the mountains, and with the star power and talent that that Chambers team had, came with a lot of finger pointing. Unfortunately, LJ got a lot of it because he was in charge of the offense.

Never met Ferebee. I'm not in the business of not liking a person. That's Juvenile. I'll fight you and have a beer with you 15 minutes afterwards. 😂 That's not how I move. Why would I not like him? Guy came into Vance in sealed a deal. COME ON MAN! You're reaching.
Let me correct the statement. Not a dislike, but you are pro Brand// Palmieri. You are discounting the job Ferebee did at Chambers. He is a very methodical coach that breaks down sections of a game and sets up for future plays/situations better than any I've seen besides Knotts. You cant just drop "any" coach at Chambers and they win 2 ships. If not for the rain they get 3 IMHO.

MC is the epitome of HS football. The supporters and fans there are top notch. The talent that has played at MC in less than 20 years is comparable to schools with 50-75 years of history. Absolutely remarkable. Coached alot of those guys and know their parents. Absolute class acts!

We should have a NC Preps get together. Would be fun.

LJ is cool for waiting it out. He’s still young (think he’s 38?) and he’s having fun teaching, spending more time with his family and not having the responsibility of OC/HC title right now. Got to know him really well and that year at Chambers took a toll on him. I’m a Vance/Big Chambo man through and through, but our community put a lot of unrealistic expectations on LJ and B Wiggs going into that 2022 season. We had so many injuries, ran up on that really good AC Reynolds team in the mountains, and with the star power and talent that that Chambers team had, came with a lot of finger pointing. Unfortunately, LJ got a lot of it because he was in charge of the offense.
That's where I think Ferebee excelled at Chambers. He was very level headed in a pressure cooker type environment. Wiggins, and Tinsley are really good coaches in tough situations replacing championship coaches. Parents need to be careful in running these coaches off. WC parents ran Brand off and it set the program back a decade.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Let me correct the statement. Not a dislike, but you are pro Brand// Palmieri. You are discounting the job Ferebee did at Chambers. He is a very methodical coach that breaks down sections of a game and sets up for future plays/situations better than any I've seen besides Knotts. You cant just drop "any" coach at Chambers and they win 2 ships. If not for the rain they get 3 IMHO.

MC is the epitome of HS football. The supporters and fans there are top notch. The talent that has played at MC in less than 20 years is comparable to schools with 50-75 years of history. Absolutely remarkable. Coached alot of those guys and know their parents. Absolute class acts!

We should have a NC Preps get together. Would be fun.
I’m not discounting his achievements. That staff was loaded with Chiefs. Incredible job to manage that staff. Although towards the end, there was mutiny amongst the ranks starting.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Here’s my question, if this drags on, who is running Spring Ball at Butler?
The longer it goes doesn’t help. Do programs like PD/Weddington swoop in and try to bring a few players over to their teams? With no HC as we approach May in today’s landscape it’s a valid question

Reactions: MagisterO
Here’s my question, if this drags on, who is running Spring Ball at Butler?
The longer it goes doesn’t help. Do programs like PD/Weddington swoop in and try to bring a few players over to their teams? With no HC as we approach May in today’s landscape it’s a valid question
4-5 of the core staff have moved on to other schools. I would imagine Stone is not involved anymore and he was the one keeping things together.

Those guys are already talking about it and trying to get Chambers players over to Butler. It is probably going to be weeks to get Ferebee through HR and then I guess a BMT job since he isn't certified.
Yeah that’s messed up. Those kids love Wiggins and he’s been extra solid to the coaching staff. Hate that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT