ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Hales Leaving Butler

Coach Greiner would be excellent at Butler. A great fit. Lives close, alum, and a great football mind. He has had to build at every school he went to. Going to Butler he could take them higher. He also has a run based offensive type of thinking and is defensive oriented which is Butler to a tee.

However WC has the top 2027 class, 2026 was great. 2028, and 2029 will be loaded also. From a talent standpoint WC will be super talented the next 3-5 years. Would he want to leave? While he would be a great fit at Butler, personally think he's a better fit at WC and destined for great success. Right now its easier getting talent into WC than Butler. IMHO.

Also the best choice is Tripp Stone. The announcement being this time of year lets me know its already his job or he is being seriously considered for it. He is the optimal choice. If Greiner did go to Butler. Stone should go to WC. Both would fit very well at either place IMHO. But Stone is better for Butler long term and Greiner better for WC long term. Hales had never been a HC before Butler and was on staff when hired. Stone has never been a head coach and is on staff.....
If I was a betting man, knowing everything I know about butler, the job is probably Stone’s if he wants it. Butler likes to go in house with their hires in the past with football and basketball. Stone is a great fit and if you pair him with Littlejohn as OC, that pair can build a solid staff with an already good roster.

Greiner would be a home run hire in my opinion but some of the coaches on here disagree. I can admit, I’m only a fan. If Greiner was to be hired, and was able to retain Stone, they would be hard to stop. Greiner has had to build everywhere he has gone, at butler he will be handed a state title contender day #1 and a very solid program going forward that’s never really short on talent. Wc is loaded in 2027, but butler has shown they don’t need an uptick in talent as they consistently get kids in that area. Plus, going forward, how does gentrification affect WC? Beatties ford area is changing drastically. I know gentrification has killed some strong athleitic programs already in metro DC, atl, and Los Angeles. LA Times had an article about some of the most consistent powerhouses declining bc of demographic shifts and locals being pushed out…is that too early to discuss for Charlotte metro? Is that too early to even discuss for WC? I’m genuinely asking. I think on a surface, butler is a better job than WC if someone had to choose going forward.

Reactions: nepsy7
Idk why folks would bad mouth Littlejohn..superb coach!!!! Big fan of his work at butler and definitely at mallard creek where he was part of several state titles. & who cares where he attended high school as a student lol, just win baby!
I was just joking about the indy aspect. He has fit in with that staff very well.

I think Greiner is a good coach too. I just don't see much upside to him making that move. Just off what has been said on this thread alone; when you talk about WC situation, it's all about what he has built, but when some talk about him going to Butler it's about what he will be handed.

Reactions: Champ_24
Butler is in a good place no matter who they choose out of the 3 names that have been mentioned prominently. If I had to choose, given the timing they probably would prefer to stay in house.

Greiner would do a great job at Butler, he is passionate about that program still. I know for a fact he was on the sidelines for a playoff game over there at least once after West Charlotte was eliminated. Plus I'm sure he would be motivated being in a different scenario and to prove he can win in that scenario after Hickory Ridge.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
What does that mean? They are undefeated in State title games.

I think the West Final Grimsley game and the loss to Indy in the playoffs this past season would be considered choke jobs.
Calling those choke jobs is discrediting how good those two teams are.

Calling those choke jobs is discrediting how good those two teams are.
When someone says can’t win the big game I think of the Butler teams that had a legit chance of winning a championship and blew it. Those two Butler teams come to mind in recent history. I personally think those games were choke jobs based on the talent and the game itself. Butler lost to AC Reynolds and Mallard Creek in the playoffs within the last four seasons but I never felt they were on the level of some of the other elite teams during those years. It all depends on how you interpret not winning the big game

Reactions: BigCharlieHayes
Butler is in a good place no matter who they choose out of the 3 names that have been mentioned prominently. If I had to choose, given the timing they probably would prefer to stay in house.

Greiner would do a great job at Butler, he is passionate about that program still. I know for a fact he was on the sidelines for a playoff game over there at least once after West Charlotte was eliminated. Plus I'm sure he would be motivated being in a different scenario and to prove he can win in that scenario after Hickory Ridge.
Butler is a lot closer, today, to being a comp to WC than HR.

Idk why folks would bad mouth Littlejohn..superb coach!!!! Big fan of his work at butler and definitely at mallard creek where he was part of several state titles. & who cares where he attended high school as a student lol, just win baby!
Littlejohn always seems to land at a state title-contending school. Mallard Creek, Chambers, South Pointe, Butler…dude knows what he’s doing when he jumps jobs :cool: Pretty easy to be considered a “Top Coach” when you go to a school filled with talent before you even step foot on campus. Not saying he can’t coach or is even a bad one at all - but it’s pretty hard to screw things up when you always land at the kind of places that he does - just saying.

Littlejohn always seems to land at a state title-contending school. Mallard Creek, Chambers, South Pointe, Butler…dude knows what he’s doing when he jumps jobs :cool: Pretty easy to be considered a “Top Coach” when you go to a school filled with talent before you even step foot on campus. Not saying he can’t coach or is even a bad one at all - but it’s pretty hard to screw things up when you always land at the kind of places that he does - just saying.
Venting about Littlejohn, and his career path. You do realize in order to land at these places, he’s actually interviewing and they’re hiring him. It’s pretty normal for people to want to work for successful companies in picking their career path. Just saying! 🤷🏾‍♂️ I don't believe he's applying for the Job.

Last edited:
Venting about Littlejohn, and his career path. You do realize in order to land at these places, he’s actually interviewing and they’re hiring him. It’s pretty normal for people to want to work for successful companies in picking their career path. Just saying! 🤷🏾‍♂️ I don't believe he's applying for the Job.
I think you're right. My guess is he will defer to Stone.

If I was a betting man, knowing everything I know about butler, the job is probably Stone’s if he wants it. Butler likes to go in house with their hires in the past with football and basketball. Stone is a great fit and if you pair him with Littlejohn as OC, that pair can build a solid staff with an already good roster.

Greiner would be a home run hire in my opinion but some of the coaches on here disagree. I can admit, I’m only a fan. If Greiner was to be hired, and was able to retain Stone, they would be hard to stop. Greiner has had to build everywhere he has gone, at butler he will be handed a state title contender day #1 and a very solid program going forward that’s never really short on talent. Wc is loaded in 2027, but butler has shown they don’t need an uptick in talent as they consistently get kids in that area. Plus, going forward, how does gentrification affect WC? Beatties ford area is changing drastically. I know gentrification has killed some strong athleitic programs already in metro DC, atl, and Los Angeles. LA Times had an article about some of the most consistent powerhouses declining bc of demographic shifts and locals being pushed out…is that too early to discuss for Charlotte metro? Is that too early to even discuss for WC? I’m genuinely asking. I think on a surface, butler is a better job than WC if someone had to choose going forward.
Agree its probably Stones job, but Butler would be crazy not to entertain Greiner. And Greiner would be crazy not to entertain Butler. Hopefully Stone gets Butler, and Greiner stays at WC. Win win for both. Stone and Greiner both have a lil soul in them. LOL

As to gentrification and WC. Gentrification would be a BIG positive for WC. When WC was the premier sports program in the state it was about 40% white and very strong academically. When CMS got rid of busing and removed WC from being an open school it went almost 99% black/minority/low income in a couple of years as a neighborhood school. Historically WC has had a big and very successful white population that love the school and a very affluent black population. With the CMS crackdown, growing IB program, new school, and changing area WC is destined for great success. Venture to say the majority of WC top athletes don't live in WC neighborhood attendance zone now. They are in the violet school zone and can get athletes from MC, Chambers, and North zones. Then the IB schools fed them. Randolph, JMA, Ranson, and Piedmont. 3 of 4 were in the MS football final four meaning WC is getting great students and talent right now.

Wonder how many butler kids will transfer and go Private and get NIL $$

That is a good question. I wonder how many Private schools can generate enough NIL money or support for the NIL to make it meaningful for players to go?

You make some good points, absolutely. But a lot of the times, it's more about who you know in the coaching world more than anything.

About the Butler job though specifically - the more I think about it, the more I think Stone would be who they offered it to if they decide to keep it in-house. With Greiner, I know he is an alum but I think I would much rather stay 3A and build on to what he's building at West Charlotte at the moment. But who knows, the chance to coach at your alma mater doesn't come around every year, or even every 10 years.

When someone says can’t win the big game I think of the Butler teams that had a legit chance of winning a championship and blew it. Those two Butler teams come to mind in recent history. I personally think those games were choke jobs based on the talent and the game itself. Butler lost to AC Reynolds and Mallard Creek in the playoffs within the last four seasons but I never felt they were on the level of some of the other elite teams during those years. It all depends on how you interpret not winning the big game
Thought the 50-49 loss to Chambers in 2016 was a year that Butler would have been in the title game after avenging the Mallard Creek loss in the third round. Chambers was not prepared at all for Page the next week. Still shocked by that title game score.

Thought the 50-49 loss to Chambers in 2016 was a year that Butler would have been in the title game after avenging the Mallard Creek loss in the third round. Chambers was not prepared at all for Page the next week. Still shocked by that title game score.
Oh lord I almost erased that one out my memory. I think that was the game Hales was suspended, Butler was at the six yard line in Chambers territory and a field goal could have won the game. Butler calls a pass and it gets intercepted by Chambers and lose in overtime. Davis Cheek threw it a bit late but played a great overall game

Oh lord I almost erased that one out my memory. I think that was the game Hales was suspended, Butler was at the six yard line in Chambers territory and a field goal could have won the game. Butler calls a pass and it gets intercepted by Chambers and lose in overtime. Davis Cheek threw it a bit late but played a great overall game
Cheek was way underrated. Coming after Lemay and Ferguson is tough to live up to.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
Cheek was way underrated. Coming after Lemay and Ferguson is tough to live up to.
Anthony Ratliff Williams was after Ferguson, and Butler changed the offense to a uptempo spread offense to utilize his speed and running ability. When Cheek became the starter Butler went back to more of the wing t based offense they run now. His senior year his anticipation on his throws was beautiful to watch

Anthony Ratliff Williams was after Ferguson, and Butler changed the offense to a uptempo spread offense to utilize his speed and running ability. When Cheek became the starter Butler went back to more of the wing t based offense they run now. His senior year his anticipation on his throws was beautiful to watch
I forgot ARW was in the middle, was thinking he was after Cheek. Getting old is rough.

Another example of Hales and the offense doing good things. They, starting with Shuford, kept it really simple but effective.

Really wished Hales could have got a couple of more titles, they were really close a few times to the title game and then it is house money.

Reactions: MagisterO
Doing a second round of interviews. Has anyone heard who has interviewed other than Stone?

Heard Glenwood Ferebee brother is in the mix for a second interview.
I know Glenwood took the Darlington Wilson HS job in January but is it him or his brother?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT