ADVERTISEMENT

Owen @ Shelby

Just wondering what Owen has this year, strength and weaknesses.
Seems like we meet up alot last few years
This game will get UGLY fast. Owens’s strengths they have nice uniforms and some good kids. Weaknesses this year is most every other aspect of the game compared to Shelby. Would like to see Owen get back to being Owen.

Go Mountaineers

Unfortunately before the season started our 2 best players quit. 1 transferred and the other is just focusing on bball. Then the injury bug hit. We played Mitchell without 4 starters including our QB. When Owen protects the football they play pretty well. Not a lot of speed but they play hard. Don’t know a true count but I wouldn’t be surprised if we had 50 turnovers this season. Hard to win like that. They run the triple option which was just installed this year. None of our kids had ever ran it. They have gotten better with it so I guess we will show up and see what happens

We lost Mountain Heritage, Mitchell and Chase which should have been losses all the way but we were seriously banged up vs Draughn and West Henderson and just flat out gave away the game vs North Henderson. Those 3 games saw like 15-17 turnovers by us. That’s just to hard to overcome for an average team

We lost Mountain Heritage, Mitchell and Chase which should have been losses all the way but we were seriously banged up vs Draughn and West Henderson and just flat out gave away the game vs North Henderson. Those 3 games saw like 15-17 turnovers by us. That’s just to hard to overcome for an average team
No that's hard to overcome for any team I don't care how good they are.

Series All-Time: Shelby 7-0
1985 - Shelby 42-7 (3A 2nd Rd)
1986 - Shelby 23-7 (3A 3rd Rd)
1997 - Shelby 34-6 (2A 3rd Rd)
2000 - Shelby 17-14 (2A 1st Rd)
2004 - Shelby 27-7 (2A 3rd Rd)
2008 - Shelby 33-7 (2A 1st Rd)
2010 - Shelby 37-21 (2A 2nd Rd)

Series All-Time: Shelby 7-0
1985 - Shelby 42-7 (3A 2nd Rd)
1986 - Shelby 23-7 (3A 3rd Rd)
1997 - Shelby 34-6 (2A 3rd Rd)
2000 - Shelby 17-14 (2A 1st Rd)
2004 - Shelby 27-7 (2A 3rd Rd)
2008 - Shelby 33-7 (2A 1st Rd)
2010 - Shelby 37-21 (2A 2nd Rd)
2000?…I’ll have to look at that later. 😜

The 2000 game was a very good game. We were 5-5, but had won the last 4 games of the season. Shelby was 14-0 at the half, we tied it up in the 4th, and shelby kicked a field goal late to win it. Not long ago I found someone on youtube who had posted every Shelby game from the mid 80's all the way through the mid 2000's.
That was Coach Jones. He posted the game films.

1997 was my senior year and that game was 13-6 in the 4th and Shelby broke it open late
I had a bad punt snap late in that game. Sent it over my punters head. Only bad snap I had all year. I also remember getting a great pancake block on a defensive tackle. We ran a buck trap and I went backside and he didn't see it coming. Helped him up and he was talking about how I "got him". I was laughing.

Shelby final record/results these seasons, plus a few other tidbits:
1985 - Shelby 42-7 (3A 2nd Rd) - Owen QB was Brad Johnson (Super Bowl XXXVII winner with TB)
1986 - Shelby 23-7 (3A 3rd Rd) - Shelby won first of back-to-back 3A titles, 9-6 over Havelock (at Shelby High)
1997 - Shelby 34-6 (2A 3rd Rd) - Shelby's first year in 2A - was undefeated until losing in championship game to Clinton and Willie Parker (Pittsburgh Steelers RB)
2000 - Shelby 17-14 (2A 1st Rd) - Shelby lost in 2nd Rd to North Rowan and finished 9-3
2004 - Shelby 27-7 (2A 3rd Rd) - Shelby lost in the 2AA championship to Kendrick Burney (UNC CB) and SW Onslow...the first of 4 straight championship game appearances
2008 - Shelby 33-7 (2A 1st Rd) - Shelby lost in the 2nd Rd to Bandys, 22-21, finishing 9-4
2010 - Shelby 37-21 (2A 2nd Rd) - Shelby lost in Western Final to Salisbury, 21-14, losing a 14-pt 4th quarter lead, and giving up an onsides kick and TD to lose a heartbreaker - many feel the onsides kick did not travel 10 yards before being touched, but the call and result will never change. Shelby started that season 2-4, and made a run to the Western Final.

This game will get UGLY fast. Owens’s strengths they have nice uniforms and some good kids. Weaknesses this year is most every other aspect of the game compared to Shelby. Would like to see Owen get back to being Owen.

Go Mountaineers
@wncbowhunter I do think Owen was on the right track with two decent seasons 7-5 (2019) and 4-3 (2020)….Padgett was no Kenny Ford but he did start to turn things around before he left. After this season (likely finish 4-7) be lucky to win a game the next few years. It will be really bad.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
@wncbowhunter I do think Owen was on the right track with two decent seasons 7-5 (2019) and 4-3 (2020)….Padgett was no Kenny Ford but he did start to turn things around before he left. After this season (likely finish 4-7) be lucky to win a game the next few years. It will be really bad.
Spot on. Their JV team was dreadful this year.

Rocket, I don’t understand what your problem is. Go to the 4a board. You have less seniors on the Rockets than Owen has. Youre twice the size we are. That shouldn’t be. Padgett inherited a team that went 12-1 the year before to go 1-9 for 3 straight seasons afterwards and under his leadership the Youth league went from winning the Midget Super Bowl to hardly fielding teams. What Brint inherited is far less than what Padgett did. So now go away. You know absolutely nothing!

Also Owen didn’t have a middle school team the last 2 seasons. Guess who the head football coach was then too. Brint is having to start from scratch. Not his fault. Those kids on Jv had never played outside of a couple. What do you expect? We do have some good youth on Varsity so they should be ok next year. Our best back is a sophomore and QB is a Junior along with another good Junior back plus some good underclassmen linemen. If Brint works the halls he can do just fine. Still a ways from winning conference etc but he can compete

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
What I think ultimately cost that team was the starters literally played the first half of every game then carried their pads out second half except vs ACR and Pisgah. They had only 2 games that were remotely close and weren’t ready for a game. Obviously 5 turnovers doesn’t help

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Some off the top of my head that went to the next level was Marcus Myers and Brad Thurman- Mars Hill, Christian Myers Ben Davies and Michael Randolph Western Carolina, Jasmon Carpenter went to Catawba and Twan Twitty and Chad Wiley went to NC A&T

• Love
In all the time spent attending Owen game I have watched Owen blow 3 touchdown leads to both Erwin and Mountain Heritage with 5 minutes left in both games but the most devastating loss ever to me was the Whiteville loss. We would have had Shelby at home the next week and I just knew we would win the state title that year. Most dominate and talented team to come through Owen in my opinion

Our kids may have been caught up in the chatter among us fans looking ahead to the following week and didn’t give full attention to the task at hand. I truly don’t know but likely

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT