ADVERTISEMENT

Open enrollment

Originally posted by T Roy C:
Nothing about the Hoggard QB residency situation will make the team ineligible at this point. Once a player has completed a whole season (last year 2013) then starts a 2nd season it's a no issue. It's happened before and always seems to involve Topsail. If everybody has in issue with it they need to speak up the FIRST season the player is on the roster, but nobody seems to care until said player is doing well. Lastly, all the posters throwing mud around on here need to do your research next time.
Actually it can be an issue if the player, parent, or legal guardian is providing falsified documentation. Example would be a family showing documentation that they live in School District A but actually live somewhere else. Regardless of his years there he should be deemed ineligible.

If a player has lived at an address in the school district for over one year there is a grandfather clause that is reveiwed if there is no fraud involved. This was used in 2007 for the running back at Hoggard, Shawn Sidbury. I think his mother lived in Topsail district but he had lived with his grandmother which was not his legal guardian for a period of time that he was eligible to play at Hoggard. Think he returned to Topsail the next season. Do not know the exact particulars but he had some legal issues that caused the questions. The case that seemed to be the biggest issue was the lineman that went to UNC (not Jon Cooper but the kid that came after him). This was investigated by the Wilmington paper but the school system did not seem to be interested.

Hoggard was real quick to try and throw a NH player under the bus in the last couple of seasons stating he was not living in county and therefore he was ineligible, until the proper paperwork and evidence was provided to prove he was legit. If my memory serves me correctly it was just before the NH Hoggard game that year, maybe even the morning of that game. Hmmm

IBleed
You are wrong. It was "anonymously" reported that the player was illegal the week of the 1st round of the playoffs. Instead of it being investigated by our Administration they called the NCHSAA and reported it to them and called NH and told them they had to forfeit all their games and season was over.
Funny how that's not happening when Hoggard is being investigated. The Adminstration wants to keep it in-house so they can do damage control it appears.
So much for fair play.

A student can attend a school in another county (another state, ie SC to NC, VA to NC, GA to NC, TN to NC) and play sports. They must be approved by the local school system to attend. In some cases tuition is required.

Btango
You are correct but they must meet the requirements of the school system they wish to attend.

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:

Btango
You are correct but they must meet the requirements of the school system they wish to attend.
I would think that would be obvious. All students must meet the set guidelines of the school and LEA in order to play sports.

Btango,
That would seem obvious but in this instance it appears the LEA is not interested in enforcing the existing Policy.

T Roy C
You are correct nothing was going to be done. However it was reported to last year to NCHSAA and the NH Co School Administration and they were supposed to look into it. Just waiting to see if the QB moves back to Topsail now that the football season is over.
My concern is that the administration has set a precedent in how to attend school in NH County and not live here. So if there are any stud players that want to play the how-to-do-it has been established.

T Roy C
You are correct nothing was going to be done. However it was reported to last year to NCHSAA and the NH Co School Administration and they were supposed to look into it. Just waiting to see if the QB moves back to Topsail now that the football season is over.
My concern is that the administration has set a precedent in how to attend school in NH County and not live here. So if there are any stud players that want to play the how-to-do-it has been established.
The QB will be graduating in January. Im sure this disappoints you but maybe you can find someone else to follow. If you can't find anyone else at Hoggard you might try looking at NH, there is a dozen or so kids there.

So then there is no reason for the father to keep his apartment here and he can pack up and move back to Hampstead?

So then there is no reason for the father to keep his apartment here and he can pack up and move back to Hampstead?

I am a family man so I am hoping so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT