ADVERTISEMENT

Open enrollment

As I understand it, open enrollment is available to all high schools in New Hanover County. I have copied some info from the county website. Although this info is for 2012, I believe it still applies.

HIGH SCHOOL OPTIONS

Open Choice - A school outside a student's assigned school area for which the student may apply for a lottery assignment as an "open choice" placement if there is space available at the school within the student's grade level.

Applications accepted March 12 through April 20, 2012Random Lottery will be held to select students for available spacesApplications submitted after April 20 will be considered a Click here for an Open Choice Application"
I think the point of contention is the phrase "if there is space available" because some schools are at capacity.

Also note the random lottery language. Not all applicants, athlete or non-athlete, are guaranteed admittance.

Btango,
I would choose to disagree that more Footballers get into NH vs Hoggard by Open Choice. However, still waiting on Port's investigation as to how many applied for Open Choice at each school, how many got in and what class they were in. Until then it is shear speculation on anyone's part.

The Star News has a section called My Reporter ... Where people ask the paper questions and reporters find the answers.

The question of open enrollment for grades 9-12 in New Hanover was asked in July 2014.

As of April 15, 2014 ....

- 314 kids applied for open enrollment
- 250 kids were granted open choice
- 12 students denied
- 4 appeals were reversed

As far as the number of those kids granted a transfer that are athletes are unknown ... That information is not maintained in the open choice database

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:

Btango,
I would choose to disagree that more Footballers get into NH vs Hoggard by Open Choice. However, still waiting on Port's investigation as to how many applied for Open Choice at each school, how many got in and what class they were in. Until then it is shear speculation on anyone's part.
Note that I am not agreeing nor disagreeing.

Port,
I still seem to misunderstand your original post stating that NH is the only school with open enrollment, and that is why these 10 or 12 transfers are at NH. Just as some of the other posters have said, the county is now a level playing field when it comes to transfers. Other schools cannot be upset that despite these rules being equal for all schools, students still choose to come to NH. All of the "recruiting" nonsense that constantly circles NH is just the other schools way of justifying in their own head why their own players have to find a way out. I know of numerous "recruiting" acts all over the county that have been kept quite for the most part from ALL schools. Yes the almighty JTH, LHS and AHS have done the dirty as much as anyone accuses NH of doing.

Also, you would not believe how many students would come to NH but were denied because they play sports. You can say what you want, but most of the students who have "transferred" had to move in order to do so, OR transfer legal guardianship to a family member in district. No one is just "let in" because they decide they want to go there. If anything, it is harder for students to transfer to NH. After Kadeem Allen transferred to NH and won a state championship, the hoops that have to be jumped through to come here are ridiculous.

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
What are the sizes of the 4A schools in Meck County as well as the schools in FC?
Myers Park - 2897
South Meck - 2822
Ardrey Kell - 2563
Olympic - 2456
Mallard Creek - 2401
Independence - 2323
Hough - 2313
Butler - 2125
West Meck - 2108
West Forsyth - 2108
Providence - 2023
East Meck - 1925
Vance - 1905
East Forsyth - 1897
West Charlotte - 1883
North Meck - 1846
Reagan - 1838
Rocky River - 1790
Harding - 1783
Hopewell - 1769
Berry - 1615
Garinger - 1536
Catholic - 1417

Note that Meck Co has some significantly larger schools than those found in Forsyth Co, but that those schools are not the football juggernauts that terrorize the rest of the state.

West Forsyth is similar in size to Butler, East Forsyth is similar in size to Vance, and Reagan is similar in size to Rocky River.

Forsyth Co does not have a 4A school nearly as large as Mallard Creek (2401) nor one nearly as small as Catholic (1417).

This post was edited on 10/23 4:23 PM by hokiemtc

Originally posted by IBleedOrange40:
Port,
I still seem to misunderstand your original post stating that NH is the only school with open enrollment, and that is why these 10 or 12 transfers are at NH. Just as some of the other posters have said, the county is now a level playing field when it comes to transfers. Other schools cannot be upset that despite these rules being equal for all schools, students still choose to come to NH. All of the "recruiting" nonsense that constantly circles NH is just the other schools way of justifying in their own head why their own players have to find a way out. I know of numerous "recruiting" acts all over the county that have been kept quite for the most part from ALL schools. Yes the almighty JTH, LHS and AHS have done the dirty as much as anyone accuses NH of doing.

Also, you would not believe how many students would come to NH but were denied because they play sports. You can say what you want, but most of the students who have "transferred" had to move in order to do so, OR transfer legal guardianship to a family member in district. No one is just "let in" because they decide they want to go there. If anything, it is harder for students to transfer to NH. After Kadeem Allen transferred to NH and won a state championship, the hoops that have to be jumped through to come here are ridiculous.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You still do? As if we have spoken before. Interesting that 2 brand new NH posters join NCPreps just for this thread. I attend as many games in the wilmington area as just about anyone. I am born and raised here and know a lot of people and follow their kids as they make their way thru HS. I know many coaches and media. I go to the games. I see and recognize these kids playing at one school one year and a different school the next. I know that happens everywhere but I guess it's just me that finds it a little off for NH to have 10-12 guys on this years team that live in a diff district. They didn't move, they just transferred. That's a big blow for a school to take and this isn't the first year. I started this thread to get the word out, if it isn't already. For others to take a look. Laney has a new coach and I wish him well but, he will not be able to overcome these type numbers. I spoke with a coach from Laney this week and he isn't aware of 1 player on their team that has come in from another district. I have spoken with coaches from Hoggard in the past and very few kids get in there without having to move. All I'm saying is if it smells bad and it tastes bad, it's probably bad.

IBleed,
You left out that some students that talked about transferring to NH were "threatened" that they would not be eligible if they tried to transfer. One that transferred into NH this year was told he was ineligible due to grades and then SURPRISE the other school admitted they made a "mistake" and he was then eligible.
As far as recruiting middle schoolers, High School coaches have been told that they cannot visit the Middle Schools or even talk to the kids until the end of the school year. However, this past Monday one of the Head Football coaches in the county was addressing 2 Middle School teams after they played each other.
But NH is accused of being the school that recruits.

I think there needs to be state wide rules put in place. Obviously there will be some issues that will need to be addressed but I think the following is needed:

1. Transfers allowed to play sports immediately if the system approves the transfer (not a change of primary residence by the legal guardian) and the student is starting freshman year.

2. I would probably be ok with the above if the student has not started first day of tenth grade. There would need to be a time frame for the request to be put in.

3. If a student is allowed to do a non residency move transfer after first day of either freshman or sophmore year (which ever is in place) a 365 day sit out period is required for all sports from the time the student attends first day at the school. Student transfers in day one junior year he cannot play in an athletic contest until day one senior year.

4. Either all school systems have a 2.0 rule or no school system has one. This one issue has created an un level playing field.

CMS instituted 2.0 for the 1993-94 school year.

I do not think a rising freshman should be held to that. Fresh start. District can require some type of remedial help.

Appears the NCHSAA is moving away from things like this with the LEA's taking over the attendance requirements.

Port,

You are not the only person who is born and raised in Wilmington and who has been to and followed athletics all throughout the county, and just so it's clear I have posted on this message board quite a bit in the past and after reading this nonsense I couldn't bite my tongue anymore! I know the system and I know that NH does the same as every other school! Instead of the "woe is me" act do something to make your program enticing to the players to the point that they do not want to leave. It sounds to me like the problem lies with these programs that the supposed 10-12 players are leaving! If your proof is parents and coaches of the schools these kids are transferring from, then I think it's safe to say they are a bit biased and can't be taken to serious! My problem is the constant ganging up on NH when the same things are done all over the county!

Port,
Just a couple of quick questions for you. Why were you at the Laney-NH game when your beloved Hoggard was playing Ashley? Are you concerned about what is happening in the county or just at New Hanover and how they are messing up Hoggard's recruiting? Since you know all things Hoggard Blue can you just answer how many kids are on the Hoggard Football team presently who open choiced as rising 9th graders from Noble Middle School? That alone is probably hurting Laney football more than any other thing. It hurts when you have to look in the mirror.

Port,
Just a couple of quick questions for you. Why were you at the Laney-NH game when your beloved Hoggard was playing Ashley? Are you concerned about what is happening in the county or just at New Hanover and how they are messing up Hoggard's recruiting? Since you know all things Hoggard Blue can you just answer how many kids are on the Hoggard Football team presently who open choiced as rising 9th graders from Noble Middle School? That alone is probably hurting Laney football more than any other thing. It hurts when you have to look in the mirror.
It's spelled Ashley but it's pronounced bye week

Originally posted by Screamin' Monk:
Port,

It's spelled Ashley but it's pronounced bye week
Now that's pretty good.

Ibleed and wildcat,
You guys don't read very well. I have not bashed NH. I have stated repeatedly that I don't blame the school or the kids. If you know so much about local football you would not ask me why I didn't go to the Hoggard-Ashley game. I have not mentioned recruiting or threatening. You say NH has built something that most of the kids want, well I'm not sure what that is. NH has really turned things around but they haven't won anything. As for Hoggards accomplishments, I'm sure I don't need to post all of them for you. So if large number of kids want to go to NH because of what they have done, just imagine how many kids would try to go to Hoggard. I think something is wrong for a team to have as many transfers as NH has this year. They can play on either side of the ball with all of their transferred players, that's alot to me. You don't thonk that's alot, that's fine. However, I have not spewed any hatred or bashing towards NH. Someone is letting the kids in and it's not the coaches. My concerns are and have been directed to those people. I'm not worried about my Vikings. Their records speak for themselves.

This post was edited on 10/24 11:41 AM by portcity FB

It is not "bashing" NH in a literal sense, it is however one more attempt at stating that they get preferential treatment in this county and that is just plain false. This issue you have brought up spans all athletics not just football, so while our football program may not have won the championships that Hoggard has in football, I think it is pretty obvious that in overall athletics NH is a place athletes want to come. Despite what you may think, championships is not the only factor that causes students to want to transfer. Tradition has a lot to do with it, and if you want to know what that is come to Brogden Hall and look in the rafters! You may not have said anything about recruiting or threatening, but the fact of the matter is these two subjects are intertwined. I am not in the business of singling out individuals or throwing specific people under the bus, but I guarantee you there is some shady stuff going on. I will agree that the basis for students being accepted into the school at which they filed for open choice is not consistent, but that inconsistency goes for all schools. Do some research on how many kids were denied open choice admittance to NH over the last few years. I think you will astounded at that number. Just so you know I read just fine, but I would advise you to check ALL the facts before starting this war of words.

I think any kind of enrollment plan that allows the administration to pick and choose is total BS. There should be set criteria based on socio-economic and educational statistics.

If a school is a majority African American, government subsidized meals, lower grades, and test scores the first students admitted should be the exact opposite. If a school is mostly caucasian with a low percentage of subsidized meals, a lot of advanced class students and high test scores the first students admitted should be the opposite. Creating schools that are diverse should be the number one goal of non district enrollment plans.

I bleed
What was I thinking? Thanks for helping me see things as they really are. NH has more transfers playing FB this year than the other schools combined but that is equal. Got it!
I was talking FB but if you want to bring in another sport like BB that's fine by me.

Maybe I'm just slow but I am asking why you chose to Attend the NH-Laney game instead of the Hoggard game. As you are obviously the appointed mouthpiece for Hoggard Football it doesn't make sense unless you were there to count transfers.

Maybe I'm just slow but I am asking why you chose to Attend the NH-Laney game instead of the Hoggard game. As you are obviously the appointed mouthpiece for Hoggard Football it doesn't make sense unless you were there to count transfers.
I have never made that claim nor has anyone else, except for you of course.

Originally posted by portcity FB:
LTB,
You prove year after year that you don't read well either.
Yeah, ok port. You prove every time you post that you nothing about football
chairshot.r191677.gif

Keep trying bro.

So ;you never claimed what? That you were at the game. Or that you are the self appointed mouthpiece of Hoggard football?

Why are students allowed to attend out of the district they live in? Seems to me with open door policies one could go to school he chooses regardless of reasons to transfer. All NH schools offer same classets I guess so the only reason to transfer would be sports. I'm sure Hoggard has transfers too,PC. If NHC has this policy its fair To all students.

All 4 High Schools have the same open choice policy. Hoggard has transfers, NH has transfers. But Port City seems to think NH has more without saying what the true numbers are. It appears he is not happy they are not getting all the transfers!!

When did the system that allows transfers to all New Hanover schools go into effect?

Due to attendance numbers NH used to be open enrollment. Only problem was they couldn't refuse any of the problem kids even if they got in trouble at another school. I think it was 2-3 years ago it was switched to open choice like the rest of the schools. I know it has been several years but don't know the exact time this was enacted.

My understanding is open enrollment is any student in the county can attend the school with no restrictions.

Exactly what is open choice for New Hanover County?

Thanks.

I took this from the school system website and although it is dated 2012, I think the same rules are in place today.

HIGH SCHOOL OPTIONS

Open Choice - A school outside a student's assigned school area for which the student may apply for a lottery assignment as an "open choice" placement if there is space available at the school within the student's grade level.

As far as non-athletic open choice requests, NH has the Lyceum Academy which is a very well thought of College Prep Program. Only for Juniors and Seniors and there are a lot of non-NH students that apply to get in. Also they are trying to start a Marine Science (if I'm correct) Similar program at Ashley. Laney and Hoggard were supposed to have been starting a Program that would attract certain students.
Most of the open choices occur for incoming freshman and the percentages of getting in a school not in your district is much higher.
There is not supposed to be a discrimination between athletic and non-athletic open choice requests and the lottery is the equalizer if there are more requests than openings in a class for each school.

Open choice simply means ANY student can apply for enrollment at a school out of their district. They must fill out the application and turn it in by a given deadline. The students accepted are chosen in a lottery style fashion and transportation is not provided for students who are accepted. A couple of years ago there were something like 200 incoming freshman apply for open choice at NH and half of those were originally accepted in the "lottery." Oddly enough NONE of those accepted were athletes. It was also said that rising 10,11 and 12th graders who applied for open choice would be accepted in a "one out one in" format, meaning if someone chose to leave NH then someone of the same grade could then be accepted by open choice. This "lottery" format is nothing short of sketchy. Trust, me there may be 10 guys out of district on the football team, but I promise there could have been A LOT more had some randomly been denied. It is fishy to me that one kid can move from laney to hoggard to play basketball, but another kid is denied that wants to transfer from laney to NH to play basketball. Im not denying that NH has transfers, but the real problem is the random process at which students are accepted or denied.

Port,
Would you mind explaining how the Hoggard quarterback was able to transfer from Pender County/Topail High School?

Port,
Would you mind explaining how the Hoggard quarterback was able to transfer from Pender County/Topail High School?
I already did.

Port,
I apologize. You did say that the "Topsail players had to move into the district". The correct answer is the parents, per the NHCS policy, have to establish a domicile in the Hoggard district. Was that done?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT