ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating in the SMC

W.I.R.

Nov 30, 2014
Yes THE SMC has a rich tradition in athletics..however the SMC officials maybe the bottom of the barrel..it matters not which game you go to you will see officials act unprofessional and take there job very lackadaisical..this post could go forever..but maybe someone should tell them the fans don't pay to see the guys in stripes the pay to see kids play a game ..coaches spend hours and hours upon hours in preparation and kids spend an entire week preparing for 48 minutes only too often to have some guys show up with no time invested but with a hidden agenda and try to ruin a ball game..its a travesty..officials now days have the "power trip " mentality and thin skin beyond belief....coaches and players watch film and evaluate themselves and are held accountable..NO WAY the SMC officials do that..it starts at the top with the booking agent and filters to the "white hats" who have no control..maybe they should realize it's not the adult coaches there childish unprofessional behavior hurts but your hurting kids simply playing a game...

getting good, qualified people to officiate sports is at an all-time low.....it's a collection of things ($$, travel) but the real kicker is the abuse they take; the old school officials are nearing there end and unless something changes, it will not get better

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Yes THE SMC has a rich tradition in athletics..however the SMC officials maybe the bottom of the barrel..it matters not which game you go to you will see officials act unprofessional and take there job very lackadaisical..this post could go forever..but maybe someone should tell them the fans don't pay to see the guys in stripes the pay to see kids play a game ..coaches spend hours and hours upon hours in preparation and kids spend an entire week preparing for 48 minutes only too often to have some guys show up with no time invested but with a hidden agenda and try to ruin a ball game..its a travesty..officials now days have the "power trip " mentality and thin skin beyond belief....coaches and players watch film and evaluate themselves and are held accountable..NO WAY the SMC officials do that..it starts at the top with the booking agent and filters to the "white hats" who have no control..maybe they should realize it's not the adult coaches there childish unprofessional behavior hurts but your hurting kids simply playing a game...

I have coached for a long time. Yes, there are bad officials but there are a lot of good, dedicated officials. This holds true not just in the SMC but everywhere. The bad ones just standout, we don't notice the good ones. No one will ever be pleased with all officials. I will admit that I dreaded seeing some officials get out of their car, but it is part of the game. I do have a solution. Instead of watching the problem become part of the solution. Signup and become an official, help solve the problem.

There's nothing worse than hearing fans boo a ref after the ref makes a gutsy and correct call. The fans have really gotten worse in this age.

Reactions: recycled2
getting good, qualified people to officiate sports is at an all-time low.....it's a collection of things ($$, travel) but the real kicker is the abuse they take; the old school officials are nearing there end and unless something changes, it will not get better
I have coached for a long time. Yes, there are bad officials but there are a lot of good, dedicated officials. This holds true not just in the SMC but everywhere. The bad ones just standout, we don't notice the good ones. No one will ever be pleased with all officials. I will admit that I dreaded seeing some officials get out of their car, but it is part of the game. I do have a solution. Instead of watching the problem become part of the solution. Signup and become an official, help solve the problem.
There's nothing worse than hearing fans boo a ref after the ref makes a gutsy and correct call. The fans have really gotten worse in this age.
Lol that's funny ...

If you only knew the time and money invested for the paltry little pay. It would be below minimum wage. Before the season even starts an average official will have around 40 hours of required attendance in clinics and scrimmages (no pay) and close to $200 in fees and insurance. This does not include uniforms and any travel money. A varsity official is required to be onsite 1 1/2 hours before kickoff. Dress and have a pregame in places that are so nasty you are afraid to step in, much less dress in. Numerous times not even given a bottle of water at halftime in 90 degree weather. There is not enough words for me to describe all things. Bareman stated below, that young officials are not coming in. He is absolutely correct. Within 10 years in this state, there will be varsity games on Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday and Friday nights because of shortage of officials. It is happening in other states already.

Oh by the way and get bashed on message boards.

All this for a whopping sum of $76.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/sports/referee-shortage-tied-to-lack-of-respect.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...02a016-499a-11e7-a186-60c031eab644_story.html

http://nfhs.org/articles/the-officiating-crisis-what-can-i-do/

Reactions: The Lake Man
If you only knew the time and money invested for the paltry little pay. It would be below minimum wage. Before the season even starts an average official will have around 40 hours of required attendance in clinics and scrimmages (no pay) and close to $200 in fees and insurance. This does not include uniforms and any travel money. A varsity official is required to be onsite 1 1/2 hours before kickoff. Dress and have a pregame in places that are so nasty you are afraid to step in, much less dress in. Numerous times not even given a bottle of water at halftime in 90 degree weather. There is not enough words for me to describe all things. Bareman stated below, that young officials are not coming in. He is absolutely correct. Within 10 years in this state, there will be varsity games on Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday and Friday nights because of shortage of officials. It is happening in other states already.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/sports/referee-shortage-tied-to-lack-of-respect.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...02a016-499a-11e7-a186-60c031eab644_story.html

Has that $76. even changed in the last 20 years. When I was Photographer for the Newspaper for around 10 years in the late 80s till 1998 and always heard the ref. pay then was $75.00. That is one job I would not have even for $150.. a game ! A Ref. would have to love his job for what they go through and the pay.

Last edited:
Did it for

No doubt there's good officials and bad ...and yes I'd say the majority are of high moral character..i spent 12 years as a high school official and had several officials I simply would not work with not due to lack of judgement but for lack of moral integrity...and yes at some places dressing arrangements are better than others..but your missing my point..so because you pay fees and put in time...lol COACHES put in 30 times the hours and most of them would be below minimum wage if paid hourly...all I'm saying is there is NO EXCUSE for being unprofessional and for having an agenda or holding a grudge..show up do your job and go home...and if this post offends you then yep I'm talking to you...i watch football from Charlotte to Spartanburg to Knoxville...seen many good officials and plenty not so good...but never have I seen more lack of professionalism and attempted screw jobs than from the SMC association..no wonder Cherokee petioned state to use WNC OFFICIALS...so the next time I have the misfortune of seeing a SMC CREW I'll gladly get on here and post positive things if I can see a professional acting crew and to the officials who simply show up and do your job regardless of the schools the score or if the coach yelled at you last time...THANKS YOUR WORK AND DEDICATION ARE APPRECIATED.. (MR.BRYSON MR MCNABB.MR SNYDER) ..May not agree w all your calls but I know your unbiased

Bring your own water...hell are you coming to officiate or for the refreshments

Bring your own water...hell are you coming to officiate or for the refreshments
I do take my own water, don't have time to argue with, off to go get screamed and yelled at by several thousand people. Place Will be packed, but that one head coach or assistant coach or fan that quietly says good job makes it all worth while.

I do take my own water, don't have time to argue with, off to go get screamed and yelled at by several thousand people. Place Will be packed, but that one head coach or assistant coach or fan that quietly says good job makes it all worth while.
Must have murphy Robb...enjoy your game

majority of the officials you never pay any attention to; what gets people stirred are those that use the yellow flag like piece work...and you do get a crew from time to time that throw more than others...but it's rare

majority of the officials you never pay any attention to; what gets people stirred are those that use the yellow flag like piece work...and you do get a crew from time to time that throw more than others...but it's rare
Correct

Well I've been very outspoken about this. I know they are some good ones in the SMC but they are also some bad ones. Like any job I suppose. I have seen officials who are athletic directors for a school and I have seen officials who have family who are playing. Are these people good guys. Absolutely ! But you should never have a official who is a Athletic Director of a school. No they might not call a game which involves their school but they could sway a game which could help their school in the standings. Same thing if you have a family member playing on a team. I've seen opposing teams best players get in foul trouble in the first 5 minutes of a game ! I've seen said family member score 18 points just shooting foul shots. Say what you want or think what you want but if you know anything about sports at all you can see their motive by their calls or non calls. It might get better when the good ole boys retire and a younger generation takes over ! I've seen a official call a game two nights in a row. The first night was well called and the second night he was as dirty as you could get. He had a agenda and he accomplished it. I'm not a sour grape but you would have to be blind not to see the bias they show. It's not the rowdy fans that they are cheating but the very ones they are there for, THE STUDENT ATHLETES. Thank God my kids no longer are in school. I think this is the only thing I agree with W.I.R on

No doubt there's good officials and bad ...and yes I'd say the majority are of high moral character..i spent 12 years as a high school official and had several officials I simply would not work with not due to lack of judgement but for lack of moral integrity...and yes at some places dressing arrangements are better than others..but your missing my point..so because you pay fees and put in time...lol COACHES put in 30 times the hours and most of them would be below minimum wage if paid hourly...all I'm saying is there is NO EXCUSE for being unprofessional and for having an agenda or holding a grudge..show up do your job and go home...and if this post offends you then yep I'm talking to you...i watch football from Charlotte to Spartanburg to Knoxville...seen many good officials and plenty not so good...but never have I seen more lack of professionalism and attempted screw jobs than from the SMC association..no wonder Cherokee petioned state to use WNC OFFICIALS...so the next time I have the misfortune of seeing a SMC CREW I'll gladly get on here and post positive things if I can see a professional acting crew and to the officials who simply show up and do your job regardless of the schools the score or if the coach yelled at you last time...THANKS YOUR WORK AND DEDICATION ARE APPRECIATED.. (MR.BRYSON MR MCNABB.MR SNYDER) ..May not agree w all your calls but I know your unbiased

WIR, why only 12 years?

Well I've been very outspoken about this. I know they are some good ones in the SMC but they are also some bad ones. Like any job I suppose. I have seen officials who are athletic directors for a school and I have seen officials who have family who are playing. Are these people good guys. Absolutely ! But you should never have a official who is a Athletic Director of a school. No they might not call a game which involves their school but they could sway a game which could help their school in the standings. Same thing if you have a family member playing on a team. I've seen opposing teams best players get in foul trouble in the first 5 minutes of a game ! I've seen said family member score 18 points just shooting foul shots. Say what you want or think what you want but if you know anything about sports at all you can see their motive by their calls or non calls. It might get better when the good ole boys retire and a younger generation takes over ! I've seen a official call a game two nights in a row. The first night was well called and the second night he was as dirty as you could get. He had a agenda and he accomplished it. I'm not a sour grape but you would have to be blind not to see the bias they show. It's not the rowdy fans that they are cheating but the very ones they are there for, THE STUDENT ATHLETES. Thank God my kids no longer are in school. I think this is the only thing I agree with W.I.R on
Lol thanks

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Give credit where credit is due. The officials for the Andrews - Rosman game were great tonight. Very few flags and no questionable ones. In my opinion a very good called game

Reactions: TigerDen1
Most officiating grades are based on team preference. But you cannot excuse some of the performances the refs have giving, no matter what side of the field you're rooting for. Consistency is a lot to ask for but it is something that has to be addressed. Do you let them play or do you hammer the rules? One of the biggest concerns is helmet to helmet hits. You'll see that call some nights but if it is called you'd think it'll apply the whole game. I rarely see it called more than once. This is a player safety issue but again we do not have fines or suspension because of it. So I think if you are going to enforce calls make sure they are enforced.

Dear OFFICIALS of the Swain Cherokee game...please remember fans are paying to see kids play not you dictate a game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT