ADVERTISEMENT

North Moore

NM88

Aug 29, 2014
Siler City, NC
I've not seen this team play, but did live near Moore County back in the late 80s and 90s when James Hicks was the coach there and they had a ten year run of success. That was over 25 years ago. Now they're undefeated and have a shot at a top seed should they upset Cummings in Burlington Friday (which I feel is a longshot). So, can anyone fill us in on what's going on in Robbins??? I mean, North Moore has been a doormat for their conferences for as long as this board has been up. Looking over their school on Google Maps, they have a beautiful campus and facilities, but little to speak of in athletic success (that I could find). Anyway, if they should go undefeated this regular season, this appears to be one of the damndest unforseen turnarounds I know of. I love turnaround stories and pulling for the underdog, but just am having some difficulty finding more out about this team/school.

I saw North Moore compete against Carver the first week of the season. They are a fundamentally sound group of kids and well coached. The offense they run is very time conservative and if you don't get the ball first and score quickly its gonna be a tough game. They got the ball at Carver and literally took about 8 mins off the clock with their first drive of the game. They will be in a dog fight this week against Cummings but if they pull this win out I don't see why that won't have the #1 seed in the East for the playoffs.

North Moore is a good team.

They are definitely a play from ahead team. They will not come very far from behind against a quality opponent.

They are also pretty small generally speaking.

I can see them winning up to possibly three playoff games.

They wouldn’t have a prayer against Tarboro however.

It’s great to see the Mustangs playing so well.

Of course they would have Tarboro full attention because they will prepare for NM…and by that Tarboro would destroy them…east is weak again,not disrespecting Tarboro but it is what it is

Is this coach from the area? Will he stick around or move on??
Prior to coming to NM in 2019, Carrouth was DC at Asheboro HS and has had previous head coaching expereince at Southern Alamance (2013-2017). Presently, Carrouth has a 14-11 overall mark at NM. Was 3-7 in his first season (2019) and finished 4-4 last spring. Currently, 7-0 this fall season.

Last edited:
Prior to coming to NM in 2019, Carrouth was DC at Asheboro HS and has had previous head coaching expereince at Southern Alamance (2013-2017). Presently, Carrouth has a 14-11 overall mark at NM. Was 3-7 in his first season (2019) and finished 4-4 last spring. Currently, 7-0 this fall season.
Wasn’t there success at SA?

North Moore is a good team.

They are definitely a play from ahead team. They will not come very far from behind against a quality opponent.

They are also pretty small generally speaking.

I can see them winning up to possibly three playoff games.

They wouldn’t have a prayer against Tarboro however.

It’s great to see the Mustangs playing so well.
I saw them play WC. If N. Moore is #1 team football is really in trouble.

Surreal, improbable, but would be the coolest thing to happen to highway 22 in awhile.
I can see the Dollar General state championship items in my head now!!
Hmmm. Never thought of that. Hwy 22 championship game. How far apart are those two schools anyway? I do know Eastern Randolph captured a 2A state title (was it their first??) under Donnie Baxter, a graduate of North Moore.

Hmmm. Never thought of that. Hwy 22 championship game. How far apart are those two schools anyway? I do know Eastern Randolph captured a 2A state title (was it their first??) under Donnie Baxter, a graduate of North Moore.
About 30 minutes on activity bus. 1983 Baxter’s team, lead by Alan Hooker, won first state title in ER history. (3A though)
1981 baseball team finished second in 3A, despite having a slow footed shortstop😂

About 30 minutes on activity bus. 1983 Baxter’s team, lead by Alan Hooker, won first state title in ER history. (3A though)
1981 baseball team finished second in 3A, despite having a slow footed shortstop😂
You didn’t have to bring up 1983, Kidd. I got to the game two hours early and the best I could do was four deep standing room in the end zone. It was that game that made me glad to see neutral sites. And besides, you broke my Bulldogs‘ hearts!

^^^ I’ve been trying to say the same thing about NM,great story but wouldn’t stand a chance against Tarboro,the east is weak year after year,must be pretty boring going to FB games out east

Reactions: Griddie
Ok guys maybe they will not have a chance. We might or might not find out.
However a knowledgeable poster on here had BY beating them as well as Cummings blowing NM away.
Neither happened.
No matter what rest of season holds the Mustangs are a force to be reckoned with…
I don’t believe I have ever said that?

Reactions: TVILLEDAWG2370
Ok guys maybe they will not have a chance. We might or might not find out.
However a knowledgeable poster on here had BY beating them as well as Cummings blowing NM away.
Neither happened.
No matter what rest of season holds the Mustangs are a force to be reckoned with…
I don’t believe I have ever said that?
I disagreed with him on BY beating Cummings, not sure what he was thinking on that one. But I was 100% on board with him with BY beating NM. And I was wrong so kudos to the Mustangs

Reactions: thekidd12
NM shocked me when they pounded Elkin. Was surprised when they beat BY. But, I thought Cummings had the edge over the Mustangs since they had not played a game since beating BY on 9/24. NM will go far and host a few games in the 1A East playoffs. Mustangs should pound Graham and Chatham Central.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT