ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

Good, 28 States are already allowing NIL deals, like Tennessee, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Maryland, Louisiana, Kansas, Utah, North Dakota, Washington, New York, Illinois.

You can either get out in front and try to manage it or sit back and look like the NCAA did by NOT being afraid of lawsuits.

North Carolina isn't afraid of a lawsuit either. I think the NCHSAA knew the state would try and block it, but going ahead and passing it, knowing it may go into effect before any bill goes into effect and allowing athletes to start having NIL deals before the state brings it to a hault is a clever play on the NCHSAA's part. What happens once Billy Touchdown scores a deal with the local pizza buffet, then the state says no you can no longer do that a few months later? The litigation begins.

North Carolina isn't afraid of a lawsuit either. I think the NCHSAA knew the state would try and block it, but going ahead and passing it, knowing it may go into effect before any bill goes into effect and allowing athletes to start having NIL deals before the state brings it to a hault is a clever play on the NCHSAA's part. What happens once Billy Touchdown scores a deal with the local pizza buffet, then the state says no you can no longer do that a few months later? The litigation begins.
Sorry, I was trying to reply to ocdavis' claim that NC was afraid of lawsuits. This latest stunt by the Leg is just a pimp slap to the NCHSAA. They will turn around and let the SBE "craft" a policy that will suspiciously look like the one the NCHSAA voted in. The NCHSAA read the writing on the wall- the same ruling that was forced on the NCAA would eventually apply to HS kids too.

Part of this mess now is too many different factions trying to divy up the NCHSAA pie. Every area that has an axe to grind over some local issue with the NCHSAA is getting their punches in now while they can. That's why we're seeing the incongruity. If the House and Senate leadership cared much about any of this legislation, they'd put a stop to the competing interests. Right now, they are still showing the NCHSAA who the boss is. When Que finally figures it out; it will calm down. Eventually, the bills will go to joint conference and that is where it will get hammered out.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
So me and my sons were talking (they just graduated in the last 2 years ) and they brought up a good point …. So 1 or 2 kids get a little money and the rest of the teams going to end up getting salty because they work just as hard if not harder and they get zero for what they also bring to the team. They feel like it’s going to cause a lot of problems within teams and I agree

So me and my sons were talking (they just graduated in the last 2 years ) and they brought up a good point …. So 1 or 2 kids get a little money and the rest of the teams going to end up getting salty because they work just as hard if not harder and they get zero for what they also bring to the team. They feel like it’s going to cause a lot of problems within teams and I agree
Same point was made in NCAA. At HS level, I doubt the windfall will be that great. For those that do, the smart ones will spread the wealth or start seeing a lot of lookout blocks.

Second, I don't think kids are that "hard" these days.

Reactions: beamer24
What about kids in poor counties like several in Eastern North Carolina. You could have the best athlete in the state at such a school, and he will never see a dime. While good athletes from Charlotte, Raleigh and other high populated areas get paid. In my opinion this is a bad idea, for both college and high school athletes. In this era of “FAIRNESS” I can’t believe somebody ain’t out there saying pay them all, even the water boy!

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I look at it more like a top recruit not being used by his coach/school to entice kids to a camp by advertising said kid will be there.....the Kid deserves to be paid if thats the case.

I look at it more like a top recruit not being used by his coach/school to entice kids to a camp by advertising said kid will be there.....the Kid deserves to be paid if thats the case.
Yeah I don't seeing it be a big deal outside of top recruits.

I hope they keep it out of High Schools honestly… If a school has 1-2 athletes that might be able to move on and only they are getting paid it is going to cause some problems in the locker room especially if/when they are given preferential treatment by a coaching staff… These are 15-18 year old kids and sports is supposed to be a teaching method in my opinion… And there will be many schools that can that will pay their athletes NIL money and because of that you will see kids from other schools near them that will end up transferring to that school if their school/community doesn’t pony up!!!

Reactions: Mopar forever
I hope they keep it out of High Schools honestly… If a school has 1-2 athletes that might be able to move on and only they are getting paid it is going to cause some problems in the locker room especially if/when they are given preferential treatment by a coaching staff… These are 15-18 year old kids and sports is supposed to be a teaching method in my opinion… And there will be many schools that can that will pay their athletes NIL money and because of that you will see kids from other schools near them that will end up transferring to that school if their school/community doesn’t pony up!!!
Schools don’t pay NIL money. That would be highly unethical. NIL money is supposed to come from businesses in the community that use names, images and or likeness as an advertisement for said business.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Schools don’t pay NIL money. That would be highly unethical. NIL money is supposed to come from businesses in the community that use names, images and or likeness as an advertisement for said business.
Sorry I meant the money would come from the community and not the school itself.. But the main thing I was saying is some schools have better support then others and could be more effective in the overall idea of NIL

Very true. Without business support from the community there will probably not be any NIL money, regardless how good the players are. This system is unjust.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT