ADVERTISEMENT

NIL for HS Kids

It's absolutely bizzare. It's a vendetta against Que Tucker.

Yes, it is. But it isn't bizzare, She showed her @$$ over the endowment fund issue to a bunch of powerful politicians and they are out to take her down a notch or twelve. I said then that she was expected to fall on the sword and wouldn't. At some point she either resigns, retires, or they take it all away from her anyway.
This is what I thought the GOP was against. Big Government overreach. Again I think that with all of this noise nothing will get done and sports will suffer. Look I am not the biggest fan of QT but there has to be a better way than this right?

This is what I thought the GOP was against. Big Government overreach. Again I think that with all of this noise nothing will get done and sports will suffer. Look I am not the biggest fan of QT but there has to be a better way than this right?
Tell me you never worked in state government without telling me you never worked in state government.

This is all about raw, political power. Both sides do it, did it and will continue to do it. Que thought she had protection. That went away with the super majority. She needs to retire. That won't stop it but it will tamp it down a bit.

Remember when virtually everyone on these forums bitched about the amount of money that was piled up in the endowment fund? They should be cheering the Leg on now. The NCHSAA is spending it like a drunken sailor on shore leave compared to ten years ago.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
So I’m hearing legislators have already stepped in, and shut this down. ??????

Tell me you never worked in state government without telling me you never worked in state government.

This is all about raw, political power. Both sides do it, did it and will continue to do it. Que thought she had protection. That went away with the super majority. She needs to retire. That won't stop it but it will tamp it down a bit.

Remember when virtually everyone on these forums bitched about the amount of money that was piled up in the endowment fund? They should be cheering the Leg on now. The NCHSAA is spending it like a drunken sailor on shore leave compared to ten years ago.
Raw power???? I am not sure that I want to trade one set of fools for another. I again I am no fan of Que Tucker and would like to see someone else in charge of the NCHSAA. But I have zero confidence in the state super or school board. Not sure this will be a good trade.

Actual photo of NC implementing NIL for HS students.

5880871_web1_5878987-7f69b6b8db8e4c96bfe1cfda1dd44f79.jpg

Raw power???? I am not sure that I want to trade one set of fools for another. I again I am no fan of Que Tucker and would like to see someone else in charge of the NCHSAA. But I have zero confidence in the state super or school board. Not sure this will be a good trade.
Yep. Pure raw power move. Que didn't play nice and tried to buck when they wanted to take a look at their finances so now they are showing her what they can do. Pretty simple, really.

It initially started when McInnis told Que to put Anson (from his district) back in the football playoffs after being expelled for fighting. Que told him no. He then requested info. She stated the NCHSAA could not give it to him directly without a request from a member. At that point it escalated further.

I expect the end result will be the NC DPI taking over high school sports without the needed personnel and funding. The legislators think a few people can do what the nchsaa admin did. Once they figure it out a few classes of student athletes will have lost out on aspects of their high school sports experience.

It initially started when McInnis told Que to put Anson (from his district) back in the football playoffs after being expelled for fighting. Que told him no. He then requested info. She stated the NCHSAA could not give it to him directly without a request from a member. At that point it escalated further.

I expect the end result will be the NC DPI taking over high school sports without the needed personnel and funding. The legislators think a few people can do what the nchsaa admin did. Once they figure it out a few classes of student athletes will have lost out on aspects of their high school sports experience.
Again I have zero faith in the NC General assembly doing anything well when it comes to public education or athletics

NIL is ruining College sports, now it is leading down to the high school level. It will be a nightmare for every coach out there. VERY BAD IDEA!
Zero evidence it's ruined college athletics. Viewership and attendance up. Still a huge revenue driver for the institutions, coaches still getting paid millions.

I get people don't like the kids getting paid and the freedom of the transfer portal but it hasn't done anything to hurt college football.

Whos going to pay him? Does he sign a binding contract as a minor? Then what happens when athletes from another state move in to get paid? 🤔 what happens when school X can pay more and he decides to hold out? NCHSAA is for amateurs IMHO. When you start paying prep players the entire system will breakdown given the sheer numbers playing. Athletes already get money from family, boosters and friends at these highschools........ Cash App is king now.
Bigdadd, you would know better than me but didn't this all grow out of the O'Bannon suit at the college level? Isn't this just a proactive move to stay out of litigation once little Johnny realizes he can make a couple hundred $$ selling t-shirts in the parking lot?

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Zero evidence it's ruined college athletics. Viewership and attendance up. Still a huge revenue driver for the institutions, coaches still getting paid millions.

I get people don't like the kids getting paid and the freedom of the transfer portal but it hasn't done anything to hurt college football.
Too soon to know. Give it five to ten years and then measure the impact. Can’t speak for anyone else, but it’s already caused this once diehard to stop watching and find better things to do with my time.

Too soon to know. Give it five to ten years and then measure the impact. Can’t speak for anyone else, but it’s already caused this once diehard to stop watching and find better things to do with my time.
So, players profiting from NIL has caused you to stop watching college football?

Just curious! How does a diehard stop watching because of an NIL? That’s a different take. 🤷🏾‍♂️😀

Every college coach that comes in the door to talk about future recruits will tell me it is ruining sports. They are saying that kids have no loyalty, dedication, and feelings of home. Players are transferring because School B is going to pay them more than school A.

Every college coach that comes in the door to talk about future recruits will tell me it is ruining sports. They are saying that kids have no loyalty, dedication, and feelings of home. Players are transferring because School B is going to pay them more than school A.
Lmao, I'll remember that the next time Saban, Lincoln, Kelly, Brown etc,etc cut out of town for the extra $$ in the middle of the night.

Loyalty....Unreal

Next time, ask that coach if school B offered him more financial gain or better facilities and support, would he/she leave their school A.

Just curious! How does a diehard stop watching because of an NIL? That’s a different take. 🤷🏾‍♂️😀
The combination of the constantly shifting landscape of conference affiliation, the transfer portal, NILand the general me first attitude of entitlement among so many players did it. Wasn’t just NIL, but the lack of any loyalty whatsoever. Years ago, I stopped watching the NFL because teams started getting rid of team leaders solely for money. I’m looking at you, Jerry Richardson ( can you say Wesley Walls and Steve Smith?).

Reactions: mrhonda
Lmao, I'll remember that the next time Saban, Lincoln, Kelly, Brown etc,etc cut out of town for the extra $$ in the middle of the night.

Loyalty....Unreal
I agree. Coaching contracts should all have more severe penalties for bailing. But that’s a good example of “what-about-ism”.

Good article by Greg Barnes on tarheeltimes.com on the unintended consequences of NIL. Could it eventually hold true for high school?

It's going to happen and happen everywhere. The conservative Supreme Court ruiling against the NCAA was just the tip of the iceberg for this.

Quite frankley why shouldn't people be able to profit off their name?
There's a very good story out there called "The Shame of College Sports" which explains, in part, how the NCAA used its very deep pockets to intimidate student athletes from pursuing cases against them in court because they knew that they were making policies which placed illegal prior restraint on those kids. It deserved to get smacked around by the courts.

The combination of the constantly shifting landscape of conference affiliation, the transfer portal, NILand the general me first attitude of entitlement among so many players did it. Wasn’t just NIL, but the lack of any loyalty whatsoever. Years ago, I stopped watching the NFL because teams started getting rid of team leaders solely for money. I’m looking at you, Jerry Richardson ( can you say Wesley Walls and Steve Smith?).
True Story! Charlie Weis came down to visit DJ Humphries from Mallard Creek, who had committed to Florida, who now plays for the Cardinals. Told him he was excited about his commitment to the Gators 🐊 as he was the OL coach. The next day he was on a podium excepting the Head Coaching job at Kansas. There is no such thing as loyalty in college football. Head coaches thought us that. The NIL has opened up opportunities of entitlement, which players have earned. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
So, players profiting from NIL has caused you to stop watching college football?
I can’t think of many cases where kids jumped for NIL to different schools. Jordan Addison left Pitt for USC for NIL. If remember correctly collectives came after Zay Flowers at Boston College and he stayed put. Drake Maye could of left UNC for big money but stayed. You might lose high school recruits to NIL. When I was watching Tennessee beat Alabama in Neyland that game had nothing to do with NIL. South Carolina beating Tennessee NIL didn’t cause that. Utah beating USC twice. App St. beating Texas A&M

Bigdadd, you would know better than me but didn't this all grow out of the O'Bannon suit at the college level? Isn't this just a proactive move to stay out of litigation once little Johnny realizes he can make a couple hundred $$ selling t-shirts in the parking lot?
Correct. Obannon was based on video game usage and EA sports, which lead to NIL issues. His likeness was used in a video game and the athletes were uncompensated. EA tried to fix this in later games by mixing up the rosters some, but making it possible to still know which players are who. Then they allowed roster share in which you could create your on rosters to circumvent EA box rosters and NIL issues.

The issue on the HS level is guys like Mikey Williams or Lebron while in HS. They were very marketable but would lose eligibility by accepting gifts, signing autographs, or basically marketing themselves for profit. LBJ was suspended for accepting a throwback jersey and a hummer in his mothers name led to investigation. OSHA rules which are similar to NC "capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value" For 95% of athletes in HS this is no issue. For 75% of College athletes no issue. But for some this is an issue. While I dont think NIL is good for HS or college as a whole, its not fair for schools and businesses to reap all the profits while the athletes don't get paid. When you think of #9 or #2 at FSU you think Peter Warrick or Deion. USC has Reggie Bush, UF Tebow and Percy harvin. Cam Newton. Some guys are just bigger than the game.

Take Hollywood for example. He would have done excellent numbers NIL wise at West Charlotte had he been eligible. Elijah Hood, Drake Maye, Mike Waddell, Leak Bros, Maurice Staley, Keith Matkins, Carlos Doggett, Titus Ivory, Joe Cox, Dyami Brown, Zamir White, and quavari Crouch All IMHO would have done good in HS NIL. The teams they played for and the popularity of the HS definitely helped. RC, MC guys would have done well. Who should tell these athletes they cant make money. Most were well known and popular before HS

Why is the NCHSAA expecting coaches to report NIL deals?

Coaches have enough on their plate without adding more work to a job that they are already drastically underpaid for. If a private business or private person wants to pay a high school student money for the right to use their NIL, that has nothing to do with the school or the athletic program.

The NCHSSA wants schools and coaches to stay away from acting as agents or promoters of these deals, which is good, but asking them to keep track of something that they have no control over is crazy. Not to mention that any decent NIL deal will pay the athlete more than the coach is making.

Just let the players make money if someone is willing to pay them or don’t let them make money. I don’t care either way. Just don’t ask high school coaches to be in charge of keeping track of the deals. If the NCHSAA wants to know what the deals are, then let them keep track.

Reactions: btango

Coaches have enough on their plate without adding more work to a job that they are already drastically underpaid for. If a private business or private person wants to pay a high school student money for the right to use their NIL, that has nothing to do with the school or the athletic program.

The NCHSSA wants schools and coaches to stay away from acting as agents or promoters of these deals, which is good, but asking them to keep track of something that they have no control over is crazy. Not to mention that any decent NIL deal will pay the athlete more than the coach is making.

Just let the players make money if someone is willing to pay them or don’t let them make money. I don’t care either way. Just don’t ask high school coaches to be in charge of keeping track of the deals. If the NCHSAA wants to know what the deals are, then let them keep track.
Because that's what top does, make more work for the people under them.

Here are the complications as I see them.

Many of the athletes will be minors and need someone to sign for them for an agreement to be legally bindable.

The athlete can’t use the image, name or jersey of the school. So for the vast majority of athletes, where is the value?,creating team morale issues.

The athlete would be responsible for reporting the agreement to the school and thus to the NCHSAA or suffer a penalty.

Would there be a penalty to the school if they don’t report because the athlete failed to report to the school?

There will absolutely be some parties who will abuse this system to recruit players. Maybe not coaches, but boosters.

If the open enrollment bill passes, it’s game on. Full fledged transfer portal and the end of any pretense of amateur athletics.

Can you explain your logic?
Well if you give everyone in your LEA a choice of what school they can attend then it should limit the "need" for charters. If you provide a choice then parents can pick and choose schools.

Charter schools won't be eliminated because of curriculum. The percentage of parents that send kids to a charter for athletics or athletics alone, is very small.
I would think some may be eliminated due to logistics and geography. If a family lives ten miles from a charter but five miles to a public school that is a good fit for their child they may now choose the non home district public school.

Instead of charter schools NC should have been trying to improve the standard public schools. Hard to put the toothpast back in the tube.

Charter schools won't be eliminated because of curriculum. The percentage of parents that send kids to a charter for athletics or athletics alone, is very small.
I get that but lets be honest boys, some schools are perceived as "better" schools in every county that has more than one high school. If you open it up you will have parents moving kids for "academic" or "safety " reason. Lets look at Charlotte for example. If you are at HS A and its rated a C or D high school and 16 min away is HS B which is rated an A or B you can move your student. Now you will have to provide transportation just like a charter but the choice to move your kid is there.

Reactions: btango
I also think what's happening is this. Many charter schools hurt smaller districts. Most smaller/rural districts are Republican led. I think that the reps from these districts are hearing it from the local school, so the Reps are trying to change some things

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT