ADVERTISEMENT

NIL for HS Kids

Horrible. The essence of youth sports are the amateur nature of it. Once you start paying HS athletes u gonna have to pay MS, then youth ball. In a sport like football/basketball it will turn into the highest bidder and what i can get to maximize profit while doing least amount of work. NIL college cool. PRO sports cool.

Folks already bet and pay kids in youth ball. NIL will only make it worse. Sometimes we come up with the dumbest ideas and dont think the consequences out. Do these people really look at these athletes instagrams/twitter or pay attention to culture?

Reactions: raiderstud
And now the betting scandal that is hitting college baseball. And once again, our legislators think betting on college sports is a good thing. After all, somebody’s making money, so it must be good.

And now the betting scandal that is hitting college baseball. And once again, our legislators think betting on college sports is a good thing. After all, somebody’s making money, so it must be good.

They'll pass sports gambling, they just haven't found a legal or backdoor way to cash out on it yet in NC.

Someone tell me why Jadyn Davis who is one of the top QBs in the Country in the 2024 class shouldn’t be able to make money off his NIL.

Someone tell me why Jadyn Davis who is one of the top QBs in the Country in the 2024 class shouldn’t be able to make money off his NIL.
Whos going to pay him? Does he sign a binding contract as a minor? Then what happens when athletes from another state move in to get paid? 🤔 what happens when school X can pay more and he decides to hold out? NCHSAA is for amateurs IMHO. When you start paying prep players the entire system will breakdown given the sheer numbers playing. Athletes already get money from family, boosters and friends at these highschools........ Cash App is king now.

Where's the money going to come from?
Whos going to pay him? Does he sign a binding contract as a minor? Then what happens when athletes from another state move in to get paid? 🤔 what happens when school X can pay more and he decides to hold out? NCHSAA is for amateurs IMHO. When you start paying prep players the entire system will breakdown given the sheer numbers playing. Athletes already get money from family, boosters and friends at these highschools........ Cash App is king now.
You got to remember this want be for just football players. There are several states that allow this now.

ON3 shows a players NIL Value

OK here is what's going to happen. Here is a scenario of how things may unfold across the state. Let's say you are once in a generation DL at say South Stokes. Now those kids are always being recruited by teams in Winston Salem but let's say that some "booster" from West Forsyth says hey transfer to West Forsyth and there is $25K in it for you. That kid will be gone. Also If I am a kid say at Vance county , Harnett county ect and a school in Raleigh that might be able to have NIL donors shows up those kids will be gone. I feel that some of the private schools will have donors that will steal kids from other schools now not just from paid tuition(and we know who they are ) but through NIL $$$$$. So if you are a coach at Parkland, SE Raleigh, Smith, West Charlotte, you now may lose even more of your kids because you can not pay them.

Add on post. I also think that this will open up so much that will destroy high school sports. Just get rid of high school sports and make it travel teams, that's where we are headed. 10-15 all star teams
“But Sammy, my kid’s gonna be the next Michael Jordan! My travel team coach told me so.”😂

• Haha
Reactions: btango
Athletic departments will go broke. The NIL will be competing with the same people and business that are supporting and buying advertisement with the athletic departments now. Like taxes you can't stretch a dollar but so far!!

The schools won’t be paying for this Businesses and booster groups will. Doesn’t mean some schools won’t be involved. But there are still a lot of limits on what schools can do directly. Some will get caught. Penalty?

I'm more optimistic about a high school model than college. The problem with college athletics is there is no "order". There is no commissioner of college sports and no real governing body that any sport can look at for guidelines. For example, look at the NFL and its yearly order to its sport. They have a commissioner, they have firm guidelines and a set calendar in which the regular season, the playoffs/coach firings, Super Bowl, then free agency/combine/draft all happens in a specific timeframe. In college football, you have EVERYTHING happening at once. In the months of December/January alone, you have bowl games, coach hiring/firing, kids entering the portal and early recruiting signing period all at once. The NFL NEVER allows this kind of chaos. With that being said, the NIL model is also new and not perfect and hopefully the NCHSAA, which has a commissioner and an organizational body, can actually lay down guidelines. There's 27 states (NC and VA soon to be added) allowing it in some way, and I don't think high school sports have been destroyed in all of them.

I'm sure there'll be an occasional exception, but I don't expect we will see multiple kids raking in $20K a year. This allows for something like say, a kid running a YouTube account of his basketball highlights and monetizing his views/subscribers. Or a kid appearing in a commercial for a local car dealership. As is the case for NIL, the kid is required to do something other than just play the sport to get compensation.

Last edited:
Just plain STUPID if they pass this deal for NIL for high school kids ..It has ruined college ball and I hope we are not that STUPID TO ALLOW IT IN NC.......

It's going to happen and happen everywhere. The conservative Supreme Court ruiling against the NCAA was just the tip of the iceberg for this.

Quite frankley why shouldn't people be able to profit off their name?

Last edited:
Who is going to monitor this ????????????????????????????????????????? Guys this is going to be bad

Does anyone else find it bizarre that our legislature is spending so much time and energy with bills relating to high school athletics? They don’t have more pressing issues to address?

It's absolutely bizzare. It's a vendetta against Que Tucker.

The NCGA is out of control and now that they cut that backdoor deal with whatever her name is, things are about to get ugly.

It's absolutely bizzare. It's a vendetta against Que Tucker.

Yes, it is. But it isn't bizzare, She showed her @$$ over the endowment fund issue to a bunch of powerful politicians and they are out to take her down a notch or twelve. I said then that she was expected to fall on the sword and wouldn't. At some point she either resigns, retires, or they take it all away from her anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT