ADVERTISEMENT

New Attendance Limits for Football Games?

That would allow 2000 at Phil Padgett Stadium for SWO. Good crowd for this mess. I think 1700+ on home side with the Coastal 8 teams. Richlands is the only one that will push the limits as its one of only 2 home games for us this spring.

Reactions: UNC91
That would be about 2500 for Reidsville.

It should happen. We allowed fan during Indoor sports during the "peak" season, now we should allow a lot more for outside sports now there is a down turn in c19 cases with vaccines and common sense.

That would be about 2500 for Reidsville.

It should happen. We allowed fan during Indoor sports during the "peak" season, now we should allow a lot more for outside sports now there is a down turn in c19 cases with vaccines and common sense.
Frank, you were dead on until you included those last two words😀

Reactions: SWO-#1 and dogs79
Mule...got my first dose of vaccine on monday the 15th (pfizer)...had to go to Alamance county to get it....Rockingham county is a joke with this roll-out....think we can go to thomasville next week...you planning on going if allowed?????

Mule...got my first dose of vaccine on monday the 15th (pfizer)...had to go to Alamance county to get it....Rockingham county is a joke with this roll-out....think we can go to thomasville next week...you planning on going if allowed?????
Thomasville is allowing only home fans for conference games, but I understand there may be a few tickets set aside for Reidsville. The number I heard wouldn’t be enough for one parent per player. Of course, that could change if the Governor increases the capacity number significantly.
Think of it this way. If there are 100 players between the teams and twenty cheerleaders, two parents per kid would be 240. And that’s not even counting any band parents. So it will take a significant increase to allow non-family fans. I don’t plan on being able to attend.

Both my mother and my sister were able to get the vaccine in Wentworth. Mary Lynn and I got ours in Chapel Hill through UNC Hospitals at the Friday Center. Got second doses a week ago yesterday - Moderna.

Thomasville is allowing only home fans for conference games, but I understand there may be a few tickets set aside for Reidsville. The number I heard wouldn’t be enough for one parent per player. Of course, that could change if the Governor increases the capacity number significantly.
Think of it this way. If there are 100 players between the teams and twenty cheerleaders, two parents per kid would be 240. And that’s not even counting any band parents. So it will take a significant increase to allow non-family fans. I don’t plan on being able to attend.
OC, could you find someone who will be at the game to give us a report on how both teams looked? I expect Reidsville to be without WR/DB Breon Pass and several other starters because of basketball playoffs.

Looking like the Guv may not change attendance numbers until March 1 - if so, too late for this game.

OC, could you find someone who will be at the game to give us a report on how both teams looked? I expect Reidsville to be without WR/DB Breon Pass and several other starters because of basketball playoffs.

Looking like the Guv may not change attendance numbers until March 1 - if so, too late for this game.
I’ll sure try. There is one parent who may be able to if he’s not doing the PA announcing. I’ll ask around.
Not sandbagging at all. But I think you’ll be fine even without the basketball players. This isn’t the Thomasville vs. Reidsville potential from ten to twenty years ago. I hear we have 43 kids with no jv team. I think that’s the right move but a lot of those freshmen are nowhere near ready to play a team like Reidsville.
I’ll also check into any streaming coverage. You may be able to get audio coverage online through ProTeam Sports. I’m gonna want a way to watch or at least hear it too.

I’ll sure try. There is one parent who may be able to if he’s not doing the PA announcing. I’ll ask around.
Not sandbagging at all. But I think you’ll be fine even without the basketball players. This isn’t the Thomasville vs. Reidsville potential from ten to twenty years ago. I hear we have 43 kids with no jv team. I think that’s the right move but a lot of those freshmen are nowhere near ready to play a team like Reidsville.
I’ll also check into any streaming coverage. You may be able to get audio coverage online through ProTeam Sports. I’m gonna want a way to watch or at least hear it too.
Great! Let us know. Also, reidsvilleradio.com may carry the game.

Its going to be a close game without the basketball players.

Why are you so negative??? You had a rough life??? Please keep your negative to your self. The game will go on and fans WILL attend the games. I know you and the crazies don't want it.

Why are you so negative??? You had a rough life??? Please keep your negative to your self. The game will go on and fans WILL attend the games. I know you and the crazies don't want it.
What is negative about that? Simply stating the facts of the current allowed numbers and what would be necessary to get more than just parents in the gate.
Do you disagree that players’ families should come first? I agree that games will be played. And some will be postponed. Already have. If refusing to stick your head in the sand and pretend this virus doesn’t exist is a negative, so be it.
You have chosen to attack me a couple of times. Not sure what that’s about, but it’s not my style.
Just like you, I have every right to post my opinion. You can choose to disagree or ignore it. But you know nothing about my life. I’ve been blessed. Apparently you see it as negative.. I see it as realistic. We’ll just agree to disagree.

OC, I remember doing a football game at Thomasville and I was mic’d up for radio broadcast. About how many years ago was that?
That’s cool! Not sure when that would have been, but wish they’d do it more often. Helps the listener to better know what’s going on and gives it a little realism.

What is negative about that? Simply stating the facts of the current allowed numbers and what would be necessary to get more than just parents in the gate.
Do you disagree that players’ families should come first? I agree that games will be played. And some will be postponed. Already have. If refusing to stick your head in the sand and pretend this virus doesn’t exist is a negative, so be it.
You have chosen to attack me a couple of times. Not sure what that’s about, but it’s not my style.
Just like you, I have every right to post my opinion. You can choose to disagree or ignore it. But you know nothing about my life. I’ve been blessed. Apparently you see it as negative.. I see it as realistic. We’ll just agree to disagree.

Your not posting anything logical. You sound like Biden son to be honest. You see after the election, every new station stop with the covid deaths, it was all a plan. Your up here preaching no one should be aloud at a outside event, but the parents. I don't care, l be at every SWO game if they let me in or not, I'll back the truck up to the fence.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Your not posting anything logical. You sound like Biden son to be honest. You see after the election, every new station stop with the covid deaths, it was all a plan. Your up here preaching no one should be aloud at a outside event, but the parents. I don't care, l be at every SWO game if they let me in or not, I'll back the truck up to the fence.
I haven’t said that no one should be there. I’ve simply said that, with limited capacity, I believe players’ families should come first. I think most schools will do it that way. But some may not.
I no longer have kids in school, so choose to not compete with players’’ families for limited tickets. Not every stadium is configured to allow what you plan to do. If your school of choice allows it, that’s great. I hope you enjoy the games.
Nothing would make me happier than this virus being controlled well enough to allow normal fan attendance. I just don’t think this season will allow unlimited fans. Hopefully, by the fall season.
I won’t get into the politics of it out of respect for what the administrators have requested.

Reactions: SCRballer
Got my second dose of Moderna this morning, along with a bunch of my friends and relatives from our church. Everybody doing well so far. Get another two weeks behind us and hopefully we’ll be as protected as we’ll be. Still gonna wear my mask at least through the spring. But it’s a relief knowing that, even if I get it, the likelihood of that whole ICU, ventilator experience are very slim. Been there, done that.

Reactions: SWO-#1
Got my second dose of Moderna this morning, along with a bunch of my friends and relatives from our church. Everybody doing well so far. Get another two weeks behind us and hopefully we’ll be as protected as we’ll be. Still gonna wear my mask at least through the spring. But it’s a relief knowing that, even if I get it, the likelihood of that whole ICU, ventilator experience are very slim. Been there, done that.

The wife and I will get our 2nd Moderna shot Tuesday the 23rd. No reaction what so ever from the first one. Like you we will still continue to 99% stay at home and wear mask when we do go somewhere. We really want to make a trip back east this fall to NC, SC. My sister in TN passed away in Jan but not from covid so wont be going there any more.

Actually Fox 8 of High Point posts Covid numbers, hospitalizations, deaths, new cases and percentages of positives every morning. I check it out each day. I think Friday positive rate was 5.7%. Which is great considering the boosts caused by both Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings.
I guess they weren’t made aware of the post election plan?

Attaboy :)

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Both my mother and my sister were able to get the vaccine in Wentworth. Mary Lynn and I got ours in Chapel Hill through UNC Hospitals at the Friday Center. Got second doses a week ago yesterday - Moderna.

TheMule: I know OC Davis has a connection to the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and I wondered if you did, too. I recall you mentioning something called the "blue zone", while attending a game at Kenan Stadium. I assumed the blue zone to be a reserved section.
Here you talk about going to the UNC hospital for a vaccination; also you mentioned the Friday Center. I would think it is named for William Friday. I always wanted to meet him. I knew his brother who lived here. He (his brother) is buried across the street from my parents in Lincolnton's public cemetery.

ocdavis31: TheMule, SWO-1 and you said your vaccines were made by Moderna. I go in in early and late March for mine, but here, I've been told they are made by Pfizer. Have either of you heard if there is a difference in effects or side effects ?

Lincolnton,
Don’t think there’s a lot of difference, other than the time between doses. Moderna is four weeks, Pfizer is three.
For what it’s worth, my wife and daughter (healthcare front line folks) got Pfizer and I got Moderna.
First doses about the same but the Moderna second dose hit me a little harder. But I suspect that’s more about the difference in ages.
The blue zone is a good place to watch a game, though a lot of folks spend a lot of time inside with good food and cold beverages than outside watching the game. Makes that end zone section look empty. Hopefully some success will change that dynamic once fans are back in full force.

TheMule: I know OC Davis has a connection to the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and I wondered if you did, too. I recall you mentioning something called the "blue zone", while attending a game at Kenan Stadium. I assumed the blue zone to be a reserved section.
Here you talk about going to the UNC hospital for a vaccination; also you mentioned the Friday Center. I would think it is named for William Friday. I always wanted to meet him. I knew his brother who lived here. He (his brother) is buried across the street from my parents in Lincolnton's public cemetery.

ocdavis31: TheMule, SWO-1 and you said your vaccines were made by Moderna. I go in in early and late March for mine, but here, I've been told they are made by Pfizer. Have either of you heard if there is a difference in effects or side effects ?
Yes, I have a lot of connections to UNC-CH. I have both undergrad and grad degrees from UNC and both of my sons graduated from UNC. One of my sons holds one of the top administrative positions at the University.

Yes, the Friday Center is named for William Friday.

We have seats for football games both in the Blue Zone and midfield on the home side. I like the Blue Zone when it is hot as blue blazes (no pun intended) because us old types can go inside the air conditioning when the heat is unbearable.

Two things I have read (by doctors and not social media wing nuts) about reaction to the second dose. It goes for both brands also.

1. Older people seem to have less reaction than younger. They say as we age our immune system becomes less effective. A reaction is the system battling against the What ever is in the shot.

2. a stronger reaction to the second shot shows that after the first the second one triggers a bigger reaction, and thats expected. After the first your immune system more rapidly and more aggressively tries to fight it off and it knows what it is now.

I have not heard of anyone with a severe reaction to either 1st or second. Worse I know of is not feeling well, kind of like coming down with the flu, upset stomach, body aches, ect. But they only lasted a day or so. The wife and I will find out Tuesday. My brother gets his second tomorrow (Monday) and he is getting the Pfizer. He is a year younger than me and had no reaction to the first either.

I think what ever discomfort is had is well worth it.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Thanks for the information, fellers. TheMule, asking if you have connections to UNC Chapel Hill is an understatement. My hat is off to you. I was forty years old the first time I was on the campus, there... Lincolnton was playing Cummings for the 2A (combined) title in 1993.

It was a little overwhelming just looking around at the campus. One of the first things which really got my attention was the bell tower. I'd seen pictures in books but they looked unremarkable. What struck me was the size of it. I thought, "it must be two hundred feet high". It was tall enough that it had an aerial light on top of the spire.

I've been back a number of times since then, and it's always amazing, just a magnificent place. I congratulate you and your sons and anyone else fortunate enough to have studied there. People on every continent knows about UNC Chapel Hill.

SWO-1, OC, and TheMule, I made an appointment back in late January to get the vaccine after one of you said it might be available. As a matter of routine I sometimes drive around the hospital, here. It's relatively new and is a pretty place, and once in awhile I'll get to see the helicopter light or take off. In the back there are two reservoirs that have been designed like ponds with geyser type fountains in the middle of them and benches around them. A sidewalk encompasses the buildings which people use for walking routines.

Last week, I drove out to the hospital just to see if vaccines were being given. I saw a sign at the front saying vaccines only, but I thought I could maybe still drive completely around the building. When I got to the back of the building I noticed several barricades and large tents.

There were some cars in front of me. Sure enough, here came a hospital police officer who asked, "are you here for a vaccine". I told her that I wasn't and my appointments are in early and late March. I guessed by her bewildered expression she was not happy with me and why did I not heed the "vaccines only" sign at the front.

She said "you'll have to turn left, sir" and for some reason I began to pull forward. She calls out to me again "left, sir, turn left". Frankly, I'm pretty good with directions and I really don't know why I pulled forward after she told me to turn left. Then, she came over to my window, which I put down. She said "you're still in the vaccine line and you have to turn left, here, and go through the parking lot".

I wonder if this has ever happened to either of you. Right then, something popped to mind and came right out of my mouth. It was though I didn't have any control of it, and I knew full well it would probably infuriate this poor officer who had been standing outside on a noticeably cold, windy day, and was having to negotiate traffic with many of our aged friends, like me; I asked her, "is it so they're giving everyone over sixty-five a drink of liquor and a drink of sundrop just before being vaccinated"?
I figured she would cuss me out or detain me but she didn't. She came out with a big laugh and I'm glad she found some humor in it. Actually, I'm looking forward to getting this vaccine. Like SWO-1, even with side effects it's worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
Yes, I have a lot of connections to UNC-CH. I have both undergrad and grad degrees from UNC and both of my sons graduated from UNC. One of my sons holds one of the top administrative positions at the University.

Yes, the Friday Center is named for William Friday.

We have seats for football games both in the Blue Zone and midfield on the home side. I like the Blue Zone when it is hot as blue blazes (no pun intended) because us old types can go inside the air conditioning when the heat is unbearable.
Well that university asked me to vacate from the campus after 2 1/2 years. Something about attendance and grades? My wife graduated in 85 from UNC. She went to class...
My three children were all accepted but chose to go to Catawba, Elon and now I have one at Wingate. Needless to say I am a poor old man. Still go back some but not as much as used to.

Thanks for the information, fellers. TheMule, asking if you have connections to UNC Chapel Hill is an understatement. My hat is off to you. I was forty years old the first time I was on the campus, there... Lincolnton was playing Cummings for the 2A (combined) title in 1993.

It was a little overwhelming just looking around at the campus. One of the first things which really got my attention was the bell tower. I'd seen pictures in books but they looked unremarkable. What struck me was the size of it. I thought, "it must be two hundred feet high". It was tall enough that it had an aerial light on top of the spire.

I've been back a number of times since then, and it's always amazing, just a magnificent place. I congratulate you and your sons and anyone else fortunate enough to have studied there. People on every continent knows about UNC Chapel Hill.

SWO-1, OC, and TheMule, I made an appointment back in late January to get the vaccine after one of you said it might be available. As a matter of routine I sometimes drive around the hospital, here. It's relatively new and is a pretty place, and once in awhile I'll get to see the helicopter light or take off. In the back there are two reservoirs that have been designed like ponds with geyser type fountains in the middle of them and benches around them. A sidewalk encompasses the buildings which people use for walking routines.

Last week, I drove out to the hospital just to see if vaccines were being given. I saw a sign at the front saying vaccines only, but I thought I could maybe still drive completely around the building. When I got to the back of the building I noticed several barricades and large tents.

There were some cars in front of me. Sure enough, here came a hospital police officer who asked, "are you here for a vaccine". I told her that I wasn't and my appointments are in early and late March. I guessed by her bewildered expression she was not happy with me and why did I not heed the "vaccines only" sign at the front.

She said "you'll have to turn left, sir" and for some reason I began to pull forward. She calls out to me again "left, sir, turn left". Frankly, I'm pretty good with directions and I really don't know why I pulled forward after she told me to turn left. Then, she came over to my window, which I put down. She said "you're still in the vaccine line and you have to turn left, here, and go through the parking lot".

I wonder if this has ever happened to either of you. Right then, something popped to mind and came right out of my mouth. It was though I didn't have any control of it, and I knew full well it would probably infuriate this poor officer who had been standing outside on a noticeably cold, windy day, and was having to negotiate traffic with many of our aged friends, like me; I asked her, "is it so they're giving everyone over sixty-five a drink of liquor and a drink of sundrop just before being vaccinated"?
I figured she would cuss me out or detain me but she didn't. She came out with a big laugh and I'm glad she found some humor in it. Actually, I'm looking forward to getting this vaccine. Like SWO-1, even with side effects it's worth it.
Looks like I made it to Chapel Hill about 45 years or so before you . When I was 5 or 6 years old two of my uncles took me to a UNC football game. They told me that they wanted me to be able to say I saw Charlie Justice play football when I got to be an old man. Well, I am officially an old man and I can say that I saw Choo Choo play. Strange thing is the only thing I remember about the game is one of my uncles telling his brother "Now you remember where we park at the hospital". I have zero memories about the game. Nothing.

TheMule: I met Charlie Justice, once. He was a partner at Crews-Justice Insurance in Cherryville which is about ten miles away. I asked him to sign a book for a friend from Buncombe County. He was a down-to-earth person and even humble. He was an average size man, maybe 5'10, and at that time he would have been around seventy years old.

TheKidd12 One of the smartest individuals I have known had been kicked out of college. He said he was dismissed for heresy. That would have been in the 1940s.
Speaking of Wingate, my cousin's granddaughter graduated from there a few years ago. I went with her for orientation. That campus is so well kept. It looked like someone had went through the grass with a comb. It was as though the buildings, campus and athletic facilities sparkled.
Sending three kids to college is what one calls taking care of business.

TheMule: I met Charlie Justice, once. He was a partner at Crews-Justice Insurance in Cherryville which is about ten miles away. I asked him to sign a book for a friend from Buncombe County. He was a down-to-earth person and even humble. He was an average size man, maybe 5'10, and at that time he would have been around seventy years old.

TheKidd12 One of the smartest individuals I have known had been kicked out of college. He said he was dismissed for heresy. That would have been in the 1940s.
Speaking of Wingate, my cousin's granddaughter graduated from there a few years ago. I went with her for orientation. That campus is so well kept. It looked like someone had went through the grass with a comb. It was as though the buildings, campus and athletic facilities sparkled.
Sending three kids to college is what one calls taking care of business.
Yeah I thought I could do better farming. And did for a long time. Wife retirement from teaching is a pretty good chunk though.
Three children are best thing I ever did. Wingate boy, the one that played WR that cold night at Lincolnton, could actually graduate a semester early. Made one B so far in college.
Good thing he took after his momma huh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT