ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA Gives Schools The Opportunity To Vote On Seven Classifications for Sports beginning with the 25-26 Season.

I would say it’s up to each LEA. Not 100% sure, but do know some do.
Just wondering. I know TN county kids can go to City school in most places. I’ll use Elizabethton, TN as a example. There are 4 county schools in the county. When Elizabethton won back to back state championships a lot of the best players were county kids. One of them won 4a Mr Football. Wonder if any city schools in NC benefit from getting county kids

Reactions: BK13T-$
Just wondering. I know TN county kids can go to City school in most places. I’ll use Elizabethton, TN as an example. There are 4 county schools in the county. When Elizabethton won back to back state championships a lot of the best players were county kids. One of them won 4a Mr Football. Wonder if any city schools in NC benefit from getting county kids
Absolutely, always heard, not confirmed by anyone, but a border school to Va. use to get some.

Can you pay a tuition if you are a county kid and go to a city high school in NC.
Yes. If a student is in the system such as a single county school system he would not pay tuition. If they live outside the county of the school they are allowed to attend the student would pay tuition to that system.

Charter schools would not require a tuition.

I think a perfect example is Forsyth County with county wide open enrollment. Not as much an issue with the larger schools but they have several schools that are smaller classification numbers along with other criteria. WS Prep has been in dominant in 1A basketball for years beating very strong teams that were denied a state title due to Prep's 4A like roster. Total BS. To make it worse, they portray the school as a college prep and academics alternative and their test scores were always very low when I checked them in the past.

Yes. If a student is in the system such as a single county school system he would not pay tuition. If they live outside the county of the school they are allowed to attend the student would pay tuition to that system.

I think a perfect example is Forsyth County with county wide open enrollment. Not as much an issue with the larger schools but they have several schools that are smaller classification numbers along with other criteria. WS Prep has been in dominant in 1A basketball for years beating very strong teams that were denied a state title due to Prep's 4A like roster. Total BS. To make it worse, they portray the school as a college prep and academics alternative and their test scores were always very low when I checked them in the past.
Is the tuition thing a local decision?

I took my son across county lines the first two years he was in school, away from one traditional county system to another. Our reasoning was based on where I worked, as I worked right next to the elementary school I took him to. We didn't pay any tuition, all we did was get a letter of release from the superintendent of one school system and a letter of acceptance by the principal of the school that received him.

I do think that these schools with no defined boundaries, at least in 1A or 2A, need to have a multiplier of some kind involved in their ADMs. This could include charter, parochial, or prep schools. The proof of need is in the results.

Reactions: btango and Mbulld

Perfect example of why I suggest setting classification by the population a school gets to draw from

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$

I took my son across county lines the first two years he was in school, away from one traditional county system to another. Our reasoning was based on where I worked, as I worked right next to the elementary school I took him to. We didn't pay any tuition, all we did was get a letter of release from the superintendent of one school system and a letter of acceptance by the principal of the school that received him.

I do think that these schools with no defined boundaries, at least in 1A or 2A, need to have a multiplier of some kind involved in their ADMs. This could include charter, parochial, or prep schools. The proof of need is in the results.
Yes, it’s an LEA decision. Pretty much stopped now, but for decades Davidson County students could get a release from the county, get accepted by the city of Thomasville, and pay $75 per year. Keep in mind that most of these were students in kindergarten who lived in the city limits but not in the school district. Most were much closer to the corresponding city school than the county counterpart.

My own two attended Thomasville from the time they were five. It was purely for academic reasons and I had no idea if they would even play sports.

I only recall one year when there were several transfers from East Davidson and Ledford. Those involved played sports. Left a bad taste in the mouth for many fans and hasn’t happened since.

There are quite a few students, both city and county who take a specific class at another school. ROTC draws a lot from East and Ledford. But those students spend most of the day at their home schools and play sports there.

With advanced manufacturing curricula becoming increasingly important, there needs to be more of that cooperation between schools, but it could muddy some areas in athletic. As long as the student spends the bulk of their day and play sports at the home school , it shouldn’t matter.

Davidson County gets kids from both Thomasville and Lexington. TCS district is literally 5-6 square miles but the town limits are much bigger. Buses roll past both schools picking up kids to take them to county schools everyday.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Davidson County gets kids from both Thomasville and Lexington. TCS district is literally 5-6 square miles but the town limits are much bigger. Buses roll past both schools picking up kids to take them to county schools everyday.
Very true, Wow. About 12,000 population in the Thomasville school district. Over 27,000 in the city limits. And with the at least 600 more houses and apartments to be built in the next 12-24 months in the city limits (but not in the city district) that will add another 1500 people. Likely another 200 kids crammed into Pilot, Fair Grove, Brown Middle and East Davidson. Yet TCS has lots of vacant classrooms.

It is totally up to the LEA.

Normally the school system you think ok your son to would get paid tuition. That county puts X amount from their budget per student to the school budget. That is the “tuition” that is paid. It may not have been required by that system.

Example: Cherokee County 30,000 ppl.
Murphy draws from their own district. So that population in the district would be 16,000.
Andrews 8,000.
HD. 6,000
You wouldn't count 30,000 for all.
Using enrollment only isn't going work anymore.

My thoughts on free lunch/ Cup being used.

It was good because it pushed charters up because charters usually have low numbers of
reduced/free lunch while also being good at Cup results.
It was bad because it pushed bigger schools with high reduced/Free lunch down while also usually having low Cup Results.
All other sports it's ok but not football

Charters having less free and reduced lunch. It's like those schools are only intended to give parental choice in certain demographics. Amazing.

So a 1A school in a county with four 1A schools would have them all playing 4A but with 1A ADM. Does not work. Need something just that us not the answer.
No in that example the 4 1a schools should have district lines with equal populations for each school
If one or more of the schools excepts students out of district they should be moved to classification of the appropriate population size

No in that example the 4 1a schools should have district lines with equal populations for each school
If one or more of the schools excepts students out of district they should be moved to classification of the appropriate population size
Forsyth County is open enrollment. All schools that have space take students from out if the actual home district. WS Prep is a 1A county wide magnet. Their district is the county so they do not take any students outside of “their district” unless it is a non county resident.

We need a multiplier or some way to adjust but straight population does not work.

Graystone Day, a very strong academic school, can pull from probably eight counties but they have 450 students. They should play 4A sports?

I may be wrong. But I believe the general assembly has essentially told the NCHSAA that charters are not to be treated any differently than regular public schools as far as athletics are concerned. Not saying I agree with this. I don’t. But. The NCHSAA hands are largely tied. I would imagine this control extends from when the General Assembly nearly shut down the NCHSAA and to stay in control the NCHSAA basically had to give up some of its power.

I may be wrong. But I believe the general assembly has essentially told the NCHSAA that charters are not to be treated any differently than regular public schools as far as athletics are concerned. Not saying I agree with this. I don’t. But. The NCHSAA hands are largely tied. I would imagine this control extends from when the General Assembly nearly shut down the NCHSAA and to stay in control the NCHSAA basically had to give up some of its power.
Giving up some of their power was not all bad. But the General Assembly taking over certainly not the answer though. The BOD of NCHSAA rarely went against Que.

The nchsaa was being push by the legislature in that direction long before the “take over.”

Call it a hunch but this is not going to pass. Too many schools not wanting this. I think NWG is voting against it

Sounds to me, the Great state of Meck and Wake will NOT vote, or vote for it, to keep the status quo and dominate the majority of our state. There should be a requirement to vote up or down!

Reactions: sammyk
Sounds to me, the Great state of Meck and Wake will NOT vote, or vote for it, to keep the status quo and dominate the majority of our state. There should be a requirement to vote up or down!
In the past Meck County has voted as a block. If their choice outcome would be achieved without a vote the system did not cast a vote.

Reasoning behind that being not wanting to cast a no vote?
My understanding was why cast the vote if voting no and not voting result in the same.

This is over a decade ago that happened so different times and different people.

The legislature should require each school to vote or the system vote for their member schools. If a school does not vote they can be fined...oops, the legislature said schools can no longer be fined monetarily. Unreal.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
My understanding was why cast the vote if voting no and not voting result in the same.

This is over a decade ago that happened so different times and different people.

The legislature should require each school to vote or the system vote for their member schools. If a school does not vote they can be fined...oops, the legislature said schools can no longer be fined monetarily. Unreal.
Well then just say no vote turned in means NO PLAYOFFS...SIMPLE...

Reactions: KW23
I am hearing a big school in Guilford county is voting against the proposal. Not to call them out but come on

Thunder you disappoint me. I thought you'd be up in arms. No pun intended 😂

You thought you'd hooked a lunker this morning.

The permit process was a farce and wasted step. Whoever the seller is just needs to do the background just like it was a rifle. I'm sure there are aspects we wouldn't agree about with gun purchasing but on this one I don't take issue with. It was just a way for Sheriffs to make money.

I personally don't mind it but some sheriffs might would abuse it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT