ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy vs. Pisgah @ WCU .... 8/17

I went to the Pisgah scrimmage Friday night. Very few starters played that night for Pisgah. A few here and there. Mtn. Heritage played as if the world was on fire. Like they had something to prove. Swain looked good at times.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
No matter what happens the first couple of weeks
I'm sorry nole, I can't get behind that line of thinking. Murphy should be expected to win both of these games and anything less should be viewed as disappointment with what the 'Dogs brought back and the overall talent on hand.

Yes, both Pisgah and Franklin are bigger schools and certainly have talented teams in their own right. But if this Murphy team is truly a special "one of the all time greats" Murphy team, as some have said they could potentially be, then they will find a way to win both of these games.

With that said losing to Franklin would be much more excusable because: A) Franklin returns more talent from last year than Pisgah and B) The Franklin game is at the Pit, while the Pisgah game is at a neutral venue.

To win a game at Franklin is a tall task, even with a super talented team, but Murphy really needs to get that Franklin monkey off their backs, and this year is probably their best opportunity since 2010 (a game they had no business losing). The Panthers have racked up quite a winning streak against Murphy, dating back almost ten years now.

If there were a Murphy team capable of going into the Pit and beating a good Franklin team, this one is it. We will stay tuned to see if that comes to fruition, but the talent is there, despite the beatdown the Panthers put on the 'Dogs last year (the worst performance I've ever seen from a good Murphy team).

Last edited:
I went to the Pisgah scrimmage Friday night. Very few starters played that night for Pisgah. A few here and there. Mtn. Heritage played as if the world was on fire. Like they had something to prove. Swain looked good at times.
lol maybe they just have passion for the game nothing wrong with that, but why didn't pisgahs starters play? sounds a little like an excuse to me.

Scrimmages are basically used to get all the kids time. 2's and 3's have earned the opportunity to play, good for coaches to reward these kids for their blood, sweat, and tears through the summer. Scrimmages are also used to work on what you are not doing well, Get BETTER at that which you are struggling with!! Why put your best on film to be viewed by your opponent? Also, this is not the time of year to be putting your 1's at risk of a season ending injury!

Some starters did play but not all. Guessing coach wanted to see others in action. But at no time during the entire scrimmage was the entire 1st string O or D on the field together. See y'all at WCU.

Cougars45, why would one make excuses for a scrimmage? I simply stating what I seen since I was there. Mtn Heritage came to hit and get after people. That's exactly what they did. They looked ready good and sharp. Swain looked good and they'll get plenty better I'm sure. Pisgah put every player on the field. Even put some jvs in with varsity. So they looked a little out if sorts at times. That is to be expected when players haven't took a whole lot of snaps together.
Nobody is making excuses here.

lol maybe they just have passion for the game nothing wrong with that, but why didn't pisgahs starters play? sounds a little like an excuse to me.
The bears lost the scrimmage game just like last year Mountain Heritage won.I am sure after Thursday night we will all be talking about a scrimmage game.Why make an excuse for losing a scrimmage game .

Then why even say anything about Heritage playing like their life depended on it? Why does that matter

Because Heritage is a goofy name for a high school. If I went there I would play extra hard too just so people would stop making fun of me for going to a school with a goofy name.

Reactions: cougars45
Cougars45, I simply meant they were flying to the ball and getting after it. Don't get your panties in a wad.

That's why Pisgah normally play hard. Goofiest name of a high school in the mountains, means we have to play twice as hard

Cougars45, how come M.H. won't schedule Pisgah in the regular season? Heard coach Chappell called em and they didn't want to play Pisgah.

I expect Pisgah to win by a touchdown. Murphy is talented but I think Pisgah is too much to handle. Sounds like Murphy is the only team that plays football in this state according to their fans.

Last edited:
Cougars45, how come M.H. won't schedule Pisgah in the regular season? Heard coach Chappell called em and they didn't want to play Pisgah.
I guess they thought Hendo would be a better match up since they're picked to win that conference

This is a loaded Murphy team and I expect nothing less than another State Championship for this team. Unless they have key injuries which God forbid happens. I always think of the year and the team when Cox had that season ending injury. That team was loaded. Anyway, my only concern about Murphy playing Pisgah & Franklin will be in the trenches. I believe both games IMO will be a war but with Murphy losing their big man to graduation it will be a tough challenge. I pick Murphy to win over Pisgah but i'm hesitant to pick who will win the Franklin game until this week is over

Murphy is right where they want to be. Defending 1A State Champions playing in a televised 2017 Kickoff game on a neutral field. By all accounts this years Bulldogs team could be one for the history books. Murphy slaps the Bears around in front of a huge crowd under the lights at WCU on Thursday night!!!

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
ITS GAMEDAY!!! WOOOO! I'm ready to watch my rip roaring Bears scoring in the Whee and throwing up the DX "Suck It" at all the Murphy Bullfrogs in attendance. Bears 500 Murphy 2

Murphy needs to do something about the FGS. That could cost the dogs when thy play Plymouth or MICROSOFT.

Almost 200 yds in penalties against Murphy so far. Damn BK i about spit my coke out on that one lol

I'm a Pisgah alum and fan... But, gotta give Murphy huge props! They are VERY good. They could have and should have beat us a lot worse tonight. 200 plus yards in penalties against them and they still dominated the game and had probably 600 plus yards of offense. If they continue to get even better during the season, which they will, and always do then I definitely see them repeating as 1A state champs right now. (I know it's just one game, but still.) Classifications aside, I would say they're the 2nd best team in the Mtns. behind A.C. Reynolds. JMO. Pisgah, on the other hand, I'd say they will be a .500 or maybe a game better this year with their schedule. They're slow. They're predictable. They're lacking any real skilled playmakers. Pass secondary is weak. Any good passing team we play will pick us apart. I love my Bears as much as anyone else, but if we're being honest we're just less talented overall than just about any team that we've fielded in the last 10-15 years that I can remember. With that being said, Chappell can and will get the absolute best out of them though. So, who knows? Hopefully they will prove me wrong! We'll see. Not being a hater, just trying to be unbiasedly honest. Looking forward to seeing what happens next week when Murphy plays Franklin. I just don't see a repeat of what happened last year again this time...

Last edited:
Cause we wanted you to have a chance to make the playoffs this year lol

Last edited:
Milltown defense....LMAO.....gave up 600 yards to a 1A team. I bet Coach Chumpell is crying a river. He said P on that hat stood for physical, yeah right. Congrats Dogs. Best three hours of TV I have seen in awhile.

Pisgah was not impressive at all. An extremely vanilla offense, and a defense that can't cover a pass. Overall Murphy ran circles around the Bears tonight and was just simply better. The lack of athletes and speed for Pisgah is pretty noticeable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT