ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy vs. Pisgah @ WCU .... 8/17

GreyGod623

Nov 24, 2012
Less than 3 weeks away. I know Pisgah lost some talent from last year, but don't know what they added. Thoughts? Anyone seen either team in 7-on-7 action?

Less than 3 weeks away. I know Pisgah lost some talent from last year, but don't know what they added. Thoughts? Anyone seen either team in 7-on-7 action?
The Bears looked alright. Don't learn a lot from 7-7. QB back from last year,big line,defense looked o.k.Will learn more in the scrimmages. Looking forward to the Murphy game .Don't believe Pisgah have ever played Murphy.Should be a really good game to open up the prep season in WNC.with for a good crowd.

Murphy played Canton High school in the mid 60's before it was called Pisgah..... Ive heard Murphy is involved in a 7 on 7 tonight at WCU with Maiden and RJ Reynolds from Winston salem....on paper probably a size advantage to Pisgah, speed and quickness heavily in favor of Murphy... turf field at WCU should favor speed.....could be close game

This game should draw a huge crowd, considering the two programs involved and the location, and it being the only game that night.

Got this game circled on my calendar. Ready to see some big plays from both sides. Think both offenses are going to come out of the gate strong with a lot of scoring. Should be a great start to the season. I think people are going to be surprised with our offense. It's going to be a handful, but Murphys will be too! Most excited I've been for an opener in a while.

I think Murphy will take it but dogs start the season slow so who knows. If it was week 5 or 6 I would 4 sure pick murphy.

I think Murphy will take it but dogs start the season slow so who knows. If it was week 5 or 6 I would 4 sure pick murphy.

No a dog man. But I don't think they start slow. Most years the toughest part of their schedule is the nonconference slate.

No a dog man. But I don't think they start slow. Most years the toughest part of their schedule is the nonconference slate.
No, they do start slow. The non conference opponents being the majority of their toughest games is part of it, but only part of it. One reason they seem to start slow is because it's partially intentional, sounds kind of absurd on the surface but it's because they don't want to peak too soon. If you don't believe me ask Coach Gentry, they like to build towards a peak, they want to start out in a lower gear and gradually shift into overdrive over the course of the season, preferably right around the time the playoffs start. I think that's helped along by the fact that they tend to keep the playbook relatively basic in the early going and add layers and wrinkles as the season progresses. Murphy also tends to rack up a lot of penalties in the non conference but it's generally worked through well enough by the time they get into the meat of the conference schedule.

This year could be an exception to the norm though because: A) they return a lot of starters that know the playbook and have a QB who is smart, experienced and a great leader. B) I believe the coaching staff definitely knows this team is a special one talent wise and thus this year's team may look to come out of the gates with a bang, ready to prove how good they are against Pisgah, and especially Franklin, a team they've struggled with for a while now.

I think most expect Murphy to win another title this year with what they bring back, but to truly cement their place as one of the all time best Murphy teams they will need to beat both Pisgah and Franklin, I don't think there's much question of that. It doesn't matter if it's by one point or by twenty, they need those two wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketman101
Just an opinion, mind you, but I think the Murphy Offensive line will be the key to the game because I think that Pisgah will try to exploit it early an often to see if the Bulldogs can handle the pressure since that is where they may be the most inexperienced when the season begins?....The Murphy QB is a big plus in that he can run and throw, and has the experience to make plays with his feet and arms, and his backfield mates will also have the experience and talent to hurt the Bears if they miss defensive assignments, or miss a lot of opportunities to make plays at or behind the line of scrimmage because the Bulldogs are blessed with speed at those positions, and can turn a busted play into big gains in a hurry....Don't really know much about the Pisgah offense, but the Bears are said to be big up front which means that they may try to establish a run game early to try and slow down the tempo of the game until they better evaluate the tendencies of the Murphy LBers and Secondary to see if they can throw the ball on the Bulldogs....Very intriguing first game of the season since it will be played on a neutral field and turf at Western Carolina which Pisgah will be more familiar with since the Bulldogs practice and play on natural grass, and the Bears play on Artificial Turf....The game is scheduled to be televised on My40, but my brother and I have already talked about checking this game out on that Thursday night before checking out our Tigers' home opener against East Henderson on Friday....

Should be entertaining to say the least!

Thanks goodness football is finally here!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: Rocketman101
You guys are in a for a rude awakening with our offense. It's gonna gash you guys from everywhere. At the same time, you guys also have an explosive offense so I'm guessing this game will be a basketball score, with one team making a big stop at the end to win it, and the other team left blaming the refs for the loss.

Kinda like Pisgah blamed the refs when a average Robbinsville team with 350 kids beat Tha Bears!

Reactions: BravesGWY
I think what was most telling about that game is how your team canceled the game at Canton the next year!

What was most telling was how many yards and points we had on you guys. Didn't you have over 3 times the enrollment of us back then.

What was also telling was how much trash your fans threw on the field during the game, or how many of our car windows was busted out. How many of your fans got removed from the stadium?

Who could blame us for cancelling the next year after such thuggish acts as that.
I would change the subject to a different year if I was u also.

So in your first post you say we canceled, then in your second one you say you guys canceled? You might wanna get your story straight lil' buddy. You guys just wanted to keep that 1-0 and knew you would take that loss outside of Graham County. Personally, I'm glad you guys canceled because the stench of Robbinsville fans would be twice as bad as the mill on its worst day. So Thank you guys for canceling and saving my sense of smell.

Your team has NEVER done anything and that includes beating The Robbinsville Black Knights. You couldn't even do it on a down year for us. Enough said. Lmao.

Hmmm that's a little extreme... I mean I think making it to the third round last year is pretty good (3A) and winning some titles is good (even though they were back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) but then again, since we didn't play Robbinsville those years I guess it doesn't matter. Granted the year Robbinsville beat Pisgah was the year before Chappell came, and we were also down. But I'm grateful for you, because it reminds me how much it means to people to beat Pisgah, apparently even more so for the Robbinsville stinkies. You know, instead of scheduling the defending state champion Bulldogs, maybe we should have canceled the rest of the season, and just played Robbinsville every week because apparently beating Robbinsville is the largest accomplishment in the history of the world.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Why can't you just say those Pisgah fans were wrong in how they acted. That is what the respectful Pisgah fans did. But no you threw personal attacks at a whole town. You might be the one throwing thrash. Carry on talking about ur thirf round exit.

Did I ever say those fans weren't wrong? Nope. And I never personally attacked anyone, all I did was say Robbinsville fans smell like a mix of White Oak Recycling Center and a dead skunk. Now unless you personally smell like this, you should not be offended and this would not be a personal attack. But if you do smell that bad, I am sorry for calling you out on a public forum, and will start a Go FundMe page to buy you some soap.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Why can't you just say those Pisgah fans were wrong in how they acted. That is what the respectful Pisgah fans did. But no you threw personal attacks at a whole town. You might be the one throwing thrash. Carry on talking about ur thirf round exit.
Pisgah lost to a lot of teams that year and finished 6-7.So you beat us ,big deal six other teams beat us that year.As for fans damaging your cars never heard anything about that .If they did they should of been arrested. Now BK you know and I know that the ref's in the SMC are among the worst in the state.Even the other teams in your conference know that.If I remember they were over 500 yards in penalties that night..With the majority against the bears

Reactions: AlbinoPolarBear
23 flags on Pisgah, 21 on robbinsville.

They are bad. For us too.
Albino you are a little fellow talking big. Waynesville stinks like $h*t and you talk about someone smelling bad? All that stink is killing your brain cells. I can't get through one day working out there. How could anyone live in that place. #350>1100.

23 flags on Pisgah, 21 on robbinsville.

They are bad. For us too.
Albino you are a little fellow talking big. Waynesville stinks like $h*t and you talk about someone smelling bad? All that stink is killing your brain cells. I can't get through one day working out there. How could anyone live in that place. #350>1100.
Since you know the number of flags what was the total penalty yards for each?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbinoPolarBear
A couple things for the Stinky Knight. Tuscola is in Waynesville. Pisgah is in Canton. If you work in Waynesville, I'm very surprised you don't know this (albeit it does explain your hatred of Pisgah). It also explains how you are so self conscious about being called stinky, since you supposedly work in a smelly town and the smell might cling to you. I will start the GoFundMe page immediately and hopefully get you some soap and maybe even some deodorant. No need to thank me, it's the least I can do.

I work out of Franklin. Sometimes we work in Waynesville-canton. Very rare.

Pisgah had 2 more flags for 30 more yards. That nothing. Hard to listen to someone blame the outcome of the game on the refs when it's that close.

Interested to hear from some Murphy fans what you guys have on defense returning. We return all but one of our starting O line, which was a strength of ours last year. If we can establish the run and then play action out of that I think we will have a great opportunity. What's your D line/linebacker situation looking like?

Interested to hear from some Murphy fans what you guys have on defense returning. We return all but one of our starting O line, which was a strength of ours last year. If we can establish the run and then play action out of that I think we will have a great opportunity. What's your D line/linebacker situation looking like?
Murphy returns 3 starters on the defensive line (but lose their best defensive player and the best defensive player in 1A at defensive tackle), 'Dogs also returns 3 starters at linebacker.

Defensive tackle will be a bit of a question mark replacing a stud like Powell, but should be strong at defensive end and very very strong at linebacker.

Can someone post the my40 schedule? I thought they didn't air any games until week 2 just like every other year.

Some said that for weeks after the game.
Every team has people that blame the ref for every loss.I will say this about that game .Those ref's were ridiculous.Some like these guys want everyone to know they are there.In High School football you could probably throw a flag every play.I like to watch the kids play and like a ref that let's the kid play and you don't even know they are there.

I agree. They are bad but that wasn't the norm. Usually not that bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT