ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy freshman running back

I think his name is Cameron Clem. He is 6'0 and 160lbs maybe according to Max Preps but I watched the Franklin game on Youtube and he looks a lot bigger then 160lbs. He is fast and also reads his blockers and has great agility. He does look to be a superstar. Anyone know anything else about him? @mbdfan (if you are still on here)

I think his name is Cameron Clem. He is 6'0 and 160lbs maybe according to Max Preps but I watched the Franklin game on Youtube and he looks a lot bigger then 160lbs. He is fast and also reads his blockers and has great agility. He does look to be a superstar. Anyone know anything else about him? @mbdfan (if you are still on here)
You're right he is bigger than that, he's put on about 15 lbs since middle school, 175 lbs and probably closer to 6'1 now. The kid has been one to watch since elementary school, he's a track star too; was part of Murphy's 4x200 team that won the middle school state championship two years ago and finished 2nd in the 4x100.

He comes from strong athletic stock, Cameron's dad was a wide receiver at the University of Miami (FL) and Grambling State. It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next 4 seasons but he's a kid with a legitimate college football future if he works hard and can stay relatively healthy.

It's a shame his age group lost Turner (Rabun Gap) and Pinkerton (North Cobb Christian) to transfer, talent wise that was lining up to be Murphy's most talented group in a while.

Here is Clem's 8th grade highlights:

You're right he is bigger than that, he's put on about 15 lbs since middle school, 175 lbs and probably closer to 6'1 now. The kid has been one to watch since elementary school, he's a track star too; was part of Murphy's 4x200 team that won the middle school state championship two years ago and finished 2nd in the 4x100.

He comes from strong athletic stock, Cameron's dad was a wide receiver at the University of Miami (FL) and Grambling State. It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next 4 seasons but he's a kid with a legitimate college football future if he works hard and can stay relatively healthy.

It's a shame his age group lost Turner (Rabun Gap) and Pinkerton (North Cobb Christian) to transfer, talent wise that was lining up to be Murphy's most talented group in a while.

Here is Clem's 8th grade highlights:
Thanks for sharing. Watching his highlights and seeing him against Franklin, he reminds me a lot of JC Brown in 2001. JC was also a freshman stud who started as a freshman and was a star throughout high school. I was a senior on that 01 team and JC played WB until he was moved to QB when Kent went down. They looked to be the same height and size. If he is anything like Brown or better, he will keep Murphy in a lot of games throughout the next 4 years, if he doesn't transfer that is.

Reactions: mbdfan
@mbdfan…It is a bummer about Turner and Pinkerton, but the JV team this year has an 8th grade RB (29) that is super good and a big freshman OL (55) that played alongside Pinkerton last year in some AA bowl. Murphy is gonna be stacked in the coming years.

I’m going to eat crow because I thought this would be a rebuild year ! Dang I was wrong. Young Sophomore Qb looked very poised in the pocket. The Freshman Rb looked very good and of course Stalcup was doing his thing. The Offensive line looked better than last year’s team even though smaller at Guard but much quicker. The line and Qb was what I thought would be the weakness but boy was I wrong.

@mbdfan…It is a bummer about Turner and Pinkerton, but the JV team this year has an 8th grade RB (29) that is super good
#29 Davis is going to be a star. In my opinion he was the best looking kid on the field for either team against a good Mitchell squad, considering he's an 8th grader that is big deal. I didn't see a ton of skill talent out there for Murphy besides him though, if I'm being honest. Murphy had a lot of size but Mitchell was just as big and controlled both lines of scrimmage I thought. I guess it depends on how old a lot of those kids were for Murphy, if there were other 8th graders starting for Murphy like #29, then its a bit different. 8th versus 9th makes a big difference at that age.

I don't understand why Pinkerton transferred, it's proven you can get Power 5 D1 offers in the SMC as a lineman. The kid was the best 8th grade d-lineman I've personally seen at Murphy, if not the best I've seen in the SMC period. It's a huge loss, no way around it. Turner transferring at least makes some sense to me if he's going all in on baseball. Turner probably would've quit playing football had he stayed at Murphy, kid is a D1 level athlete though so it's a big deal. You can't lose 2 kids of that level of talent and not feel it, it's the difference between being a legitimate state title contender in 2025 and not I'd say.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
#29 Davis is going to be a star. In my opinion he was the best looking kid on the field for either team against a good Mitchell squad, considering he's an 8th grader that is big deal. I didn't see a ton of skill talent out there for Murphy besides him though, if I'm being honest. Murphy had a lot of size but Mitchell was just as big and controlled both lines of scrimmage I thought. I guess it depends on how old a lot of those kids were for Murphy, if there were other 8th graders starting for Murphy like #29, then its a bit different. 8th versus 9th makes a big difference at that age.

I don't understand why Pinkerton transferred, it's proven you can get Power 5 D1 offers in the SMC as a lineman. The kid was the best 8th grade d-lineman I've personally seen at Murphy, if not the best I've seen in the SMC period. It's a huge loss, no way around it. Turner transferring at least makes some sense to me if he's going all in on baseball. Turner probably would've quit playing football had he stayed at Murphy, kid is a D1 level athlete though so it's a big deal. You can't lose 2 kids of that level of talent and not feel it, it's the difference between being a legitimate state title contender in 2025 and not I'd say.
Good points. I agree that for Murphy to win state titles nowadays, the best kids are gonna have to stay and keep playing. Just too many good teams in the playoffs today.

As for the Davis kid, he is only 12 and actually could have played another year of rec league. One of the youngest kids in his class. If he continues to work hard, develop, and stay healthy, he has a chance to be special. Him and the Clem kid will have a few years together. That should be fun to watch!

I wish you all were playing South Pitt again. Was glad y’all beat them last year. They reloaded this year. Got transfer from a Private School and a kid from Georgia that is committed to Auburn.

Reactions: CherokeeKid

D1 level athlete in baseball?

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Most likely. I heard that he transferred to Rabun Gap to concentrate on baseball. He was a very good basketball and football player at Murphy too.
I coached against him last year. It’s kind of hard to imagine him at D1 level and I mean that with no disrespect. He was impressive but didn’t seem anywhere in the same ballpark as Michael Curry. I know they play different positions but man Curry was on another level. I wish him the best though and hope he does go D1. Itd be good for another local boy to represent.

I coached against him last year. It’s kind of hard to imagine him at D1 level and I mean that with no disrespect. He was impressive but didn’t seem anywhere in the same ballpark as Michael Curry. I know they play different positions but man Curry was on another level. I wish him the best though and hope he does go D1. Itd be good for another local boy to represent.
Michael was an awesome baseball player and just a very good athlete all around. He transferred to Gainesville Ga after his sophomore year to concentrate on baseball, then went on to play baseball at UGA. He led Murphy all the way to the state title game (they lost 2015 to Plymouth) as the starting QB his sophomore year. Never played football again after that.

Maybe Rabun Gap can get Turner ready to play for a major D1 school. Most private school players stand a very good chance of playing somewhere at the next level.

Michael was an awesome baseball player and just a very good athlete all around. He transferred to Gainesville Ga after his sophomore year to concentrate on baseball, then went on to play baseball at UGA. He led Murphy all the way to the state title game (they lost 2015 to Plymouth) as the starting QB his sophomore year. Never played football again after that.

Maybe Rabun Gap can get Turner ready to play for a major D1 school. Most private school players stand a very good chance of playing somewhere at the next level.
Yes Curry No-Hit us as a freshman. The funny thing is, he wasn’t even a pitcher. I think Turner will be fine glove wise. Seems to be a solid fielder. Batting is what will have to come around in my opinion. A growth spurt should help him in the power department some. That will help him a lot.

I coached against him last year. It’s kind of hard to imagine him at D1 level

Perfect Game sees him as a future Power 5 D1 baseball player and drafted player.

I mean it's all kind of besides my main point anyway, which was to convey what a supreme all around athlete he is.

He was the fastest and quickest kid in the conference in JV football last season, which was saying something with Clem and Payne on the team. He averaged 15 point per game in JV hoops. He would've been the best wing/slot Murphy has had since at least Deion Johnson, a game changer on the football field.

Last edited:

Perfect Game sees him as a future Power 5 D1 baseball player and drafted player.

I mean it's all kind of besides my main point anyway, which was to convey what a supreme all around athlete he is.

He was the fastest and quickest kid in the conference in JV football last season, which was saying something with Clem and Payne on the team. He averaged 15 point per game in JV hoops. He would've been the best wing/slot Murphy has had since at least Deion Johnson, a game changer on the football field.
Wow. That’s crazy. The game of baseball has changed so much just since I graduated 9 years ago. I played against the Coker brothers, Taylor Cordell, Michael Curry, Josh Cook, Jessie Bates. I guess playing against those guys and seeing how good they were and then coaching against a kid like Turner just shows you how much it has changed.

Clem ran an electronically timed 11.4 100 at SMC track championships in Cherokee to finish 2nd ahead of the likes of Cuttler Adams. 11.4 is blazing for a freshman, I've looked back through all the posted SMC track records on MileSplit and Athletic.net and there hasn't been a faster 100 time posted in the SMC by a 9th grader in the last 20 years minimum and that includes hand timed. Even at known "speed" schools in 1A an electronically timed 11.4 is a very high level 100 time for a 9th grader.

Now speed is one thing but when you combine that with the fact Clem is already 6'1" 175 lbs and you're looking at a kid with a bright future ahead of him in football if he continues to work hard in the weight room and improve on the details: like pad level (probably his biggest weakness right now), etc.

Last edited:
Outstanding time and definitely a great athlete! Not taking anything away from it at all. Just wish Cuttler was healthy to make it a better race. Clem will have a monster season imo.

Plus 11.4 ain't dookie.
MA has only had two 9th graders on record (Cordell France and Jonathan Smith) run better than 11.4 and only France's was electronic.

11.4 is faster than Donovan Greene's fastest time as a 9th grader (11.52) and faster than Tyler Mason (11.82) and Mario Revels (11.78) ran as 10th graders, so try again with a 11.4 ain't crap for a freshman, it's blazing for a 14/15 year old kid.

Last edited:
Yeah no shit. Kid got mashed when he had to perform.
No one said he was, the kid that was mentioned as D1 in this thread is a baseball player and unless he gets hurt between now and senior year Turner will go D1 in baseball.

As far as Clem and football goes, way too early to say or even be thinking about that. A lot of growth and improvement necessary for something like that to ever be on the table. But it certainly doesn't hurt that his dad was a D1 athlete though.

Last edited:
Signed with University of Miami (FL) out of high school and later transferred to Grambling State, played WR.
Oh yeah. Btw 11.4 don't really tell anyone a thing about football speed. Only top end speed. Give me his shuttle and his 20 30 40 that's why track doesn't transfer to football except for the kid to learn technique. Shoot this guy may be the best dude since Pickens.

Reactions: nwguilford007
Btw 11.4 don't really tell anyone a thing about football speed. Only top end speed.
Yes that's true, but when you have that kind of top end speed to go with that size you have a pretty good foundation for success. I would agree you with that top end speed is much less important at runningback than say free safety. At runningback quickness, agility and vision are paramount.

Clem does have good agility but needs to improve his quickness and burst, given his height he's probably always going to be more fast than quick though.

Even if you play at the FCS level that’s still D1
FCS applies only to football. Basketball, baseball they all go to the same NCAA tournament. 2016 the D-1 baseball national championship was won by Coastal Carolina. The non power 5's are D-1.

FCS applies only to football. Basketball, baseball they all go to the same NCAA tournament. 2016 the D-1 baseball national championship was won by Coastal Carolina. The non power 5's are D-1.
Well this is the football forum and a RB from Murphy is being discussed. Wasn’t really concerned about the other NCAA D1 sports that don’t have subdivisions like D1 football does.

Well this is the football forum and a RB from Murphy is being discussed. Wasn’t really concerned about the other NCAA D1 sports that don’t have subdivisions like D1 football does.
For comparison purposes, Cuttler as a senior was 6’ 1 195 and set the school record as a junior with a 10.75 100 meter. His times were down a bit this year and he missed most of track season with a hammy but came back and gutted it out for his team at the end. He also put on another 10-15 lbs of muscle from jr to sr year which might have slowed him down a little as well.

For comparison purposes, Cuttler as a senior was 6’ 1 195 and set the school record as a junior with a 10.75 100 meter. His times were down a bit this year and he missed most of track season with a hammy but came back and gutted it out for his team at the end. He also put on another 10-15 lbs of muscle from jr to sr year which might have slowed him down a little as well.
That’s awesome for Adams. Jaylen Wright that played for TN and that just got drafted by the Dolphins fastest time in High School in NC was a 10.85 when he committed to TN. This was Wright track times in High School

Reactions: BlackCat93
The D1 comment was pertaining to a kid that left Murphy for Rabun Gap in baseball. It was the last post from August '23 until the post about the RB the other day. That's caused several of the comments to get jumbled together.

That’s awesome for Adams. Jaylen Wright that played for TN and that just got drafted by the Dolphins fastest time in High School in NC was a 10.85 when he committed to TN. This was Wright track times in High School

He was a stud and went to the perfect offense for his talents! The guys in front of him(albeit a small sample size from Achane) have history of injury, so he may get some quality time as a rookie.

MA has only had two 9th graders on record (Cordell France and Jonathan Smith) run better than 11.4 and only France's was electronic.

11.4 is faster than Donovan Greene's fastest time as a 9th grader (11.52) and faster than Tyler Mason (11.82) and Mario Revels (11.78) ran as 10th graders, so try again with a 11.4 ain't crap for a freshman, it's blazing for a 14/15 year old kid.
As I read this again I find out who knows this much about track. Makes me wonder who won the 100 meters in the Smoky mountain this year? I bet it was a basketball player wasn't it.

As I read this again I find out who knows this much about track. Makes me wonder who won the 100 meters in the Smoky mountain this year? I bet it was a basketball player wasn't it.
I'm not sure who won their conference but it looks like Zeke Glaspie had the highest regional finish at 11.3. He does play basketball but also football. I'd imagine that's pretty common especially in 1A. You only have so many athletes.

and set the school record as a junior with a 10.75 100 meter.
I'm not trying to be argumentative at all but he's got 7 listed times from his junior year, all are in the 11.2- 11.3 range with one throw away of 11.5. To go from consistently running 11.2 - 11.3 to a 10.75 is a huge jump. He was running 11.2-11.3 again this spring before he got hurt and then his times tailed off at the end of the season.

Zeke Glaspie 10th grader at Swain, plays football and basketball. Ran an 11.18 at SMC track championships and an 11.3 at regionals. All this is readily available information on the internet.

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all but he's got 7 listed times from his junior year, all are in the 11.2- 11.3 range with one throw away of 11.5. To go from consistently running 11.2 - 11.3 to a 10.75 is a huge jump. He was running 11.2-11.3 again this spring before he got hurt and then his times tailed off at the end of the season.
It’s on the record board at the track. I doubt they made it up, we definitely take our sports seriously 😎 His times were definitely higher but I’m betting it was due to the extra mass he put on for football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT