Murphy at Robbinsville round 4.

The next year
Robbinsville
Murphy
Swain
Cherokee
Andrews
Hayesville

I don’t think it will honestly. A lot of times facilities are not a deciding factor. In college, yes it does with some players. Drive time is a huge factor in that too. Topton/Granny Squirrel kids can get to Robbinsville in 25 minutes. To the new school in Peachtree, almost 45
You might be right about Topton/Granny Squirrel kids going to Robbinsville but most of the athletes in the Andrews district live in or around Andrews though and not in Topton/Granny Squirrel. Robbinsville may get a bunch of the Topton/Granny Squirrel kids but the vast majority of the Andrews ones will end up at the new school. The most support for consolidation of the current three schools comes from Andrews district actually from what I've seen, a lot of people there will be happy when this happens. I'm obviously a Murphy guy but I'll be happy when it happens too, not that I don't love Murphy High but I love my kid(s) more and a consolidation will be the best opportunity for them academically and athletically IMO.

Last edited:
Cherokee County Wild Dam Dawgs High School will be an absolute FORCE in 2A and nobody around Cherokee County will care about Robbinsville anymore. I think that is why Rville is so against the consolidation. It destroys the SMC.

Can you show me anyone from Robbinsville that is against it?
Your funny.

I bet Cherokee county will never have a title in 2a.
I'll take that bet, if Cherokee County was consolidated in 2011 they wouldve won a 2A state title in football. If they are 2A they will win a state title eventually when they have a great team and the two traditional heavyweights Shelby and Reidsville has a bit of down season by their standards. They won't be as dominate as Murphy has been in 1A but with the right coaching staff there's zero doubt they will be one of the top handful of programs in that division.

Plus there's more to athletics than football, Cherokee County will be a force in baseball, girls basketball, softball etc. if they're 2A. The county has talent in a lot of sports, not one or two. Murphy is always a major player in the Wells Fargo Cup, at least as far as the non charters go. HD traditionally puts out good baseball/softball and basketball players, Andrews doesn't have too many consistently good programs but they always have some good individual athletes. The consolidated school will do just fine athletically, whether they're 1A or 2A.

Last edited:
Can you tell me how Robbinsville benefited from a school that was supposed to be 2a those 4 years.
If Murphy had been 2a like they should Robbinsville still wine in 1992. The only team that benefited was Murphy in 1991.
You do realize what you just said?
Lmao.
This is how Murphy folks think.
Robbinsville benefited from you moving down. Lol lol lol 😂😆😂
Murphy numbers were only 2a 1n 1988, but that was the year they counted for alignment.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I’m The Godfather of a Coach therefore he will be the Head Football Coach ! I’m the AD therefore I will pick my good friend as the Head Coach of the Varsity boys basketball ! See how it goes. We will see how the next chapter plays out. Truth

I'll take that bet, if Cherokee County was consolidated in 2011 they wouldve won a 2A state title in football. If they are 2A they will win a state title eventually when they have a great team and the two traditional heavyweights Shelby and Reidsville has a bit of down season by their standards. They won't be as dominate as Murphy has been in 1A but with the right coaching staff there's zero doubt they will be one of the top handful of programs in that division.

Plus there's more to athletics than football, Cherokee County will be a force in baseball, girls basketball, softball etc. if they're 2A. The county has talent in a lot of sports, not one or two. Murphy is always a major player in the Wells Fargo Cup, at least as far as the non charters go. HD traditionally puts out good baseball/softball and basketball players, Andrews doesn't have too many consistently good programs but they always have some good individual athletes. The consolidated school will do just fine athletically, whether they're 1A or 2A.
I see what you’re saying. You always seem to be a straight shooter. Talking about the other sports my concerns are basketball, baseball, softball usually only keep 15 players but I guess it will be ok seeing there will be 3 separate Athletic programs on the same campaus. If you don’t make the A team you can enter the Transfer portal and move to the B or C team and never leave campus. Lol. What a mess

I see what you’re saying. You always seem to be a straight shooter. Talking about the other sports my concerns are basketball, baseball, softball usually only keep 15 players but I guess it will be ok seeing there will be 3 separate Athletic programs on the same campaus. If you don’t make the A team you can enter the Transfer portal and move to the B or C team and never leave campus. Lol. What a mess
Well, two on the same campus and one in downtown Murphy. Is the charter school going to have gym space for basketball/volleyball, etc in that old hotel? I could see them just having stuff like cross country and golf, especially with less than 100 students.

I remember a year or so ago there was a quote in the paper trying to sell the new high school by saying the kids who can't play basketball or baseball or whatever at the new school because of lost roster spots will be OK, because the school will be big enough to add new sports like lacrosse. But I'm skeptical. Who would they play? I don't see other schools that size in the mountains (Brevard/Hendersonville/Owen) being big enough to have stuff like that.

Well, two on the same campus and one in downtown Murphy. Is the charter school going to have gym space for basketball/volleyball, etc in that old hotel? I could see them just having stuff like cross country and golf, especially with less than 100 students.

I remember a year or so ago there was a quote in the paper trying to sell the new high school by saying the kids who can't play basketball or baseball or whatever at the new school because of lost roster spots will be OK, because the school will be big enough to add new sports like lacrosse. But I'm skeptical. Who would they play? I don't see other schools that size in the mountains (Brevard/Hendersonville/Owen) being big enough to have stuff like that.
I remember that quote also.

I'm trying to put down any Andrews coaches but who from up here do you believe is good enough to coach at the new school?
I’m not saying anything about any of the coaches from our 3 county schools and we have some fine coaches. But you could also attract, in my opinion, great coaches from all over the State. Who wouldn’t want to come Coach a new school with all the athletes and history of the prior programs. Of course I want to keep our local coaches but if that doesn’t work out I feel like we need to look at others through a fair process knowing that will never happen !!

I’m not saying anything about any of the coaches from our 3 county schools and we have some fine coaches. But you could also attract, in my opinion, great coaches from all over the State. Who wouldn’t want to come Coach a new school with all the athletes and history of the prior programs. Of course I want to keep our local coaches but if that doesn’t work out I feel like we need to look at others through a fair process knowing that will never happen !!
I think that football and girls basketball coaches are done set in stone. Unless something drastically happens in the next 4 years. Boys basketball and baseball/softball could be up for grabs.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
This might bug some of my fellow Mitchell people from Spruce Pine but the thing you have to watch about using coaches from one of the consolidate former rival schools is favoritism.
When Mitchell county consolidated Bowman ( Bakerville) and Harris ( Spruce Pine) who as far as sports hated each other that makes any rivalry in the SMC look like a love fest once I believe in the 1960's a fight broke out at a football game so bad ( not just players the stands emptied) that the state ban us from playing for two years.
But after the consolidation the Harris coaches became the Mitchell coaches my brother was co-captain on that team one from Bowman one from Harris but he said there was obvious favoritism like the QB were the Bowman QB was head and shoulders above the Harris one not even close but guess who started ,my brother was the center and nosegaurd and the defense coach wanted his guy at nose guard but was over ruled by the head coach but he finally found some flimsy excuse to replace him with his guy.
Of course now they couldn't care less which side of the county you're from infact our QB now is a Bakerville boy.

Last edited:
Well we have tried and for what Cherokee County pays their Coaches ,no high profile coaches for that money.

From what I saw this year Murphy has the least amount of coaches on the sideline that I can remember. Andrews only had 4. It looks like it's hard to find coaches in the school system.

This might bug some of my fellow Mitchell people from Spruce Pine but the thing you have to watch about using coaches from one of the consolidate former rival schools is favoritism.
When Mitchell county consolidated Bowman ( Bakerville) and Harris ( Spruce Pine) who as far as sports hated each other that makes any rivalry in the SMC look like a love fest once I believe in the 1960's a fight broke out at a football game so bad ( not just players the stands emptied) that the state ban us from playing for two years.
But after the consolidation the Harris coaches became the Mitchell coaches my brother was co-captain on that team one from Bowman one from Harris but he said there was obvious favoritism like the QB were the Bowman QB was head and shoulders above the Harris one not even close but guess who started ,my brother was the center and nosegaurd and the defense coach wanted his guy at nose guard but was over ruled by the head coach but he finally found some flimsy excuse to replace him with his guy.
Of course now they couldn't care less which side of the county you're from infact our QB now is a Bakerville boy.
That’s really my purpose of this discussion. Yes I’ve had fun getting my digs in but truthfully it’s exactly what a lot of Murphy fans are saying on the street. I’m sure it will be tough the first few years and favoritism will be there. If they are favoritism now you know it will be there when they consolidate.

Reactions: RealStihl
Well we have tried and for what Cherokee County pays their Coaches ,no high profile coaches for that money.
If we’re going to go big we need to go big on the pay also. All kidding aside I will support this new adventure and give it a chance. Im still against it but I will support it when it happens. If it goes astray I will be the first to make my feelings known at a school board hearing. People all over the county will be watching

I think that football and girls basketball coaches are done set in stone. Unless something drastically happens in the next 4 years. Boys basketball and baseball/softball could be up for grabs.
Nothing should be set in stone but the girls basketball coach. A lot can happen in 4 years

Reactions: Smokymntfan
That’s really my purpose of this discussion. Yes I’ve had fun getting my digs in but truthfully it’s exactly what a lot of Murphy fans are saying on the street. I’m sure it will be tough the first few years and favoritism will be there. If they are favoritism now you know it will be there when they consolidate.
From what I understand Cherokee county will be building a middle school as well? That's a mistake I believe Mitchell county made by NOT building a middle school and keeping the rivalry alive through the middle schools playing each other so the accusation of even when bringing in coaches from outside the county of favoritism wether true or not to the other side. The best thing recently I believe they did while not a building yet putting the teams together though it was basically because they got especially Bowman to small to support a football team separately they should have done it years earlier giving the players in all sports an opportunity to play together and know each other as team mates instead of coming to high school and suddenly having to play your main rivial.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
From what I understand Cherokee county will be building a middle school as well? That's a mistake I believe Mitchell county made by NOT building a middle school and keeping the rivalry alive through the middle schools playing each other so the accusation of even when bringing in coaches from outside the county of favoritism wether true or not to the other side. The best thing recently I believe they did while not a building yet putting the teams together though it was basically because they got especially Bowman to small to support a football team separately they should have done it years earlier giving the players in all sports an opportunity to play together and know each other as team mates instead of coming to high school and suddenly having to play your main rivial.
As far as I can tell our teams get along very well. I’ve seen great sportsmanship over the last decade. This years game was well played and I didn’t see any chippiness at all. Shoot some of my good friends were from Murphy and we hung out together but come game time we were warriors

As far as I can tell our teams get along very well. I’ve seen great sportsmanship over the last decade. This years game was well played and I didn’t see any chippiness at all. Shoot some of my good friends were from Murphy and we hung out together but come game time we were warriors
Well I didn't meant they disliked each other like back in the old high school days I mean the two towns are just 11 miles apart and off the field yeah I'm sure some where good friends but also your usually going to make most your best friends you hang around with at school you attend now once in high school some that probably changed as well but a lot of the Spruce Pine kids my daughters didn't even know until high school.
But there still was a more I guess friendly rivalry there was no bad sportsmanship between the middle schools but if you played at Bowman the one team in the conference you wanted to beat was Harris county bragging rights, plus that's two years lost were you could have been teamates learning to play and work together instead of learning how to do that once in high school.

Well the good news is once the school is built you won't have to pay 2 different football coaches, 3 different basketball coaches, 3 different baseball coaches, etc. That money will be pooled together and they can offer better pay for these positions. Locals will always be the lifeblood of the coaching fraternity here but there will be the opprtunity to bring a few people in.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Well the good news is once the school is built you won't have to pay 2 different football coaches, 3 different basketball coaches, 3 different baseball coaches, etc. That money will be pooled together and they can offer better pay for these positions. Locals will always be the lifeblood of the coaching fraternity here but there will be the opprtunity to bring a few people in.
But then where does the money for the lacrosse coach come from? JK

Ray won't still be coaching the girls by the time the new school opens. So the girls job will probably be in play.

I fully expect Ray to be the varsity boy's coach at Murphy by the time the schools consolidate. Ray's two boys will both be in high school in a couple of years and I think he wants the opportunity to coach them. Plus Murphy finally has some really good boys basketball talent on the way for the first time in a long time, while the talent in girls is about to fall off for a while. It just makes too much sense to not happen in my opinion.

Last edited:
I bet Cherokee county will never have a title in 2a. Also your wrong, I hope they go 2a.
Bye bye
I don't like that they will move 200 kids and be 1a. That's the problem.
Of course you hope they go 2a! Because you don’t want any competition. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. How can anyone argue with you bk? I mean you’re gonna be right no matter what. When Robbinsville beats Murphy the knights are the best thing since sliced bread and no mention of numbers. When Murphy beats Robbinsville it’s because Murphy cheated. Maybe I’ll join you in fantasy land one day.
Oh and in case you forgot: 1992 Murphy Bulldogs (SMC Champs) 41 State “champs” 0. That season has always and will always have one of these * next to it! 😂

Last edited:
Of course you hope they go 2a! Because you don’t want any competition. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. How can anyone argue with you bk? I mean you’re gonna be right no matter what. When Robbinsville beats Murphy the knights are the best thing since sliced bread and no mention of numbers. When Murphy beats Robbinsville it’s because Murphy cheated. Maybe I’ll join you in fantasy land one day.
Oh and in case you forgot: 1992 Murphy Bulldogs (SMC Champs) 41 State “champs” 0. That season has always and will always have one of these * next to it! 😂

1991 is the season with the *.

Funny you think an * belongs by the 92 season because the state didn't allow Murphy to play down without any repercussions.
You think I'm in fantasy land? Lmao.
Look at what you just said.
Unbelievable.

Gogo. Tell me something.
Why did you call me out when Cat started this and probably responded as much as me but you said nothing to him?
I'll wait.

Lord, if all the non-Murphy Cherokee Co students went to Robbinsville... one of the biggest 1a's in the state. Their heads would explode.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT