ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy @ Andrews

Congrats on the win Andrews, a well coached, well oiled machine, Weaver is something else.

If the high school consolidation falls through as expected then this will probably be my last post on Preps and if so I just want to say I've enjoyed my 15 years on here, a lot of fun times and a lifelong friend or two made along the way, it's been real ya'll 🤟

Congrats on the win Andrews, a well coached, well oiled machine, Weaver is something else.

If the high school consolidation falls through as expected then this will probably be my last post on Preps and if so I just want to say I've enjoyed my 15 years on here, a lot of fun times and a lifelong friend or two made along the way, it's been real ya'll 🤟
Shoot me an email sometime if you’re done for real. Always enjoyed talking sports with you.

Maybe I missed something but why will this be your last post if consolidation doesn't happen?

I thought the consolidation was a done deal this time around?

Last edited:
Shoot me an email sometime if you’re done for real. Always enjoyed talking sports with you.
Will do man and yes I'm really am done if they vote to give that 50 million grant back. I enjoy talking ball with you as well, always good to converse with an intelligent, objective and informed sports fan such as yourself. If anyone still wants to talk ball or whatever hit me up via e-mail at stpdaf1@yahoo.com

Maybe I missed something but why will this be your last post if consolidation doesn't happen?
Because if a majority of our county commission and/or school board are petty enough or ignorant enough to send 50 million back to the state that's earmarked to build a new high school, while Murphy High is crumbling to the ground, my children aren't going be a part of Cherokee County Schools when high school rolls around. As much as I don't want that to happen, as much as I love Murphy High, I have to stick to my principles on the matter and do what's best for mine, which means a new school system for high school and thus a break from the school I've supported all my life. A man has his line in the sand and this is my line crossed, I'll still hope and wish the best for our school of course but active support will end if this happens.

I though the consolidation was a done deal this time around?
It should have been, the funding is secured, but the makeup of the commission and school board has changed post election, personal agendas are now at play.

Will do man and yes I'm really am done if they vote to give that 50 million grant back. I enjoy talking ball with you as well, always good to converse with an intelligent, objective and informed sports fan such as yourself. If anyone still wants to talk ball or whatever hit me up via e-mail at stpdaf1@yahoo.com

Because if a majority of our county commission and/or school board are petty enough or ignorant enough to send 50 million back to the state that's earmarked to build a new high school, while Murphy High is crumbling to the ground, my children aren't going be a part of Cherokee County Schools when high school rolls around. As much as I don't want that to happen, as much as I love Murphy High, I have to stick to my principles on the matter and do what's best for mine, which means a new school system for high school and thus a break from the school I've supported all my life. A man has his line in the sand and this is my line crossed, I'll still hope and wish the best for our school of course but active support will end if this happens.

It should have been, the funding is secured, but the makeup of the commission and school board has changed post election, personal agendas are now at play.
If it's built, are they going to build it adjacent to the new early college? I thought that was the plan but I dont see how a new school and athletic fields can go there?

If it's built, are they going to build it adjacent to the new early college? I thought that was the plan but I dont see how a new school and athletic fields can go there?
There was an article in the paper this week saying athletic fields not currently within the scope of the $48M price tag on the table for the project. Cherokee County has a tendency to confuse being conservative with being cheap, so who knows how this will play out…

There was an article in the paper this week saying athletic fields not currently within the scope of the $48M price tag on the table for the project. Cherokee County has a tendency to confuse being conservative with being cheap, so who knows how this will play out…
Sweet Moses!!!! 48 million and that doesnt even include the fields?

They’re supposed to talk athletic facilities and what that would add at the January meeting. Personally I think it would be a terrible idea if they were to just play at Murphy’s current fields (if the school happens). Besides being 5 miles away, there needs to be a new start and a new identity.

If you’re going to do something do it right !
If you build a house you are going to build the sidewalks and driveway. Why in the world would you make plans to build one United school and not put athletic facilities in that plan. If you do it go big. What in the world were they thinking

They’re supposed to talk athletic facilities and what that would add at the January meeting. Personally I think it would be a terrible idea if they were to just play at Murphy’s current fields (if the school happens). Besides being 5 miles away, there needs to be a new start and a new identity.
Sometimes you can do all you can do. When Mitchell county consolidated Harris and Bowman from 1975 ( school actually opened in 1978) to 1982-83 season Mitchell played on Harris's football field 11 miles from Bakersville.
Do you think the Bowman boys like my brother in 75 he's senior year he was co-captain they made one from each school liked playing on the Harris feild? Rivalries today don't come close to the Bowman - Harris rivalry they HATED each other there was fights all the time once in the 1960's there was such a fight that the state banned them from playing each other for two years. So if Bowman kids could play at Harris for a few years so can the new Cherokee county team play at Murphy for awhile.

Reactions: sbbbfan

I'll chime on this topic since I'm heavily involved with this school grant, and the capital budget for the entire state here in Raleigh, and I have very strong feelings on this entire situation. If the new commissioners, and new school board members for that matter, are dumb and petty enough to send back millions of dollars that have been appropriated by the State in the last two budgets to the county I can guarantee you it will be the last time they appropriate grant funds to the county for a while. I've had it communicated to me personally that now the commissioners may not follow through with the EMS stations that the State appropriated grant funds for (and no one there knows that I vouched for personally during budget development to have included in the damn budget) so I have some very strong feelings on the shenanigans of a few members for both boards. I'm trying to work out my schedule so that I can make the trip from Raleigh for an upcoming commissioners meeting when I know these topics will be on the agenda because I am done remaining silent. Bring your popcorn 😎

Mbd, I have the same personal feelings as you. Were I still residing there, with my little one on the way, I would be looking to relocate as well. I love Murphy, but there is a point where you have to take a stand and draw that line in the sand like you said.

Since everyone else posts their star players stats here I go.
Weaver had 318 yds rushing
430 yds total yardage
5 tds
1 interception
Both teams played a clean game especially compared to the SMC Championship game
Having said that got to give props to the Officials who were not from our Association. Personally I thought they did a great job !

The average cost to build just the high school is well over $50 million now after construction costs spiked so dramatically this year (~14.1% for 2022). The last two high schools built in the state were in 2020 for a total of $86.3 million.

Elementary/middle schools are costing roughly $30-$40 million now depending on the sq footage. Just to show how crazy prices have jumped since 2020 - last year a 97,000 sq. ft. school was built for $27.8 million ($286 cost/sq.ft); in 2020 a 107,000 sq. ft school was built for $23.0 million ($215 cost/sq.ft).

• Wow
Reactions: therealsquid
Since everyone else posts their star players stats here I go.
Weaver had 318 yds rushing
430 yds total yardage
5 tds
1 interception
Both teams played a clean game especially compared to the SMC Championship game
Having said that got to give props to the Officials who were not from our Association. Personally I thought they did a great job !
Weaver is the best back in the Smc. It’s not even close. Love the way that kid plays the game. Broke off big runs for touchdowns and he just hands the ball back to ref. Same thing with the interception. Hate Murphy lost but no shame in losing to that Wildcat team.

I share strong sympathies with you. We are over here in Franklin trying to replace the least secure school in the state and we can't even pass the referendum for a 0.25% sales tax because people are morons. I'm not leaving Franklin or the school system but I can't in good faith tell people to come here and bring their kids.

If you’re going to do something do it right !
If you build a house you are going to build the sidewalks and driveway. Why in the world would you make plans to build one United school and not put athletic facilities in that plan. If you do it go big. What in the world were they thinking
Agreed. It's obviously a 50 year investment. Bite the bullet while there's a $50 million dollar down payment not coming from our property tax base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT