ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy @ Andrews

Andrews had some kids banged up against Mountian Island Charter, but I think they’ll be back next week. That team played dirty, diving for the shins every play.

Reactions: Swain97
Team discipline and not turning the ball over will go a long way in this game for Murphy. They will need to bring their A game to beat Andrews. I think they can go to toe to toe with Andrews if their heads are right.

Wish Andrews would have rubbed their faces in it a little more after the way MIC ran up the score last time against Andrews.
We had one Td called back and about 3 big plays nullified because of penalties. In all accounts we could have scored 50 but just wasn’t as crisp last night. We are a little spoiled thinking we should score 40 points every game but that’s not how it happens in playoffs as you get deeper. As usual our defense was very good last night. As far as penalties I’ve rewatched the game and seen 3 penalties that had no warrant at all. I just don’t see why officials are throwing flags for picky things after the play is down field 30 yds. Unless it’s a unsportsmanlike leave it alone. These calls didn’t start till we got into conference play. Don’t get me wrong, if it’s a solid call then throw it. If not you have to let the kids play. You could throw a flag every single down and destroy the flow of the game

Tough to beat Murphy twice in one year! Not saying Andrews is overlooking Murphy but..everyone else is already looking at how Andrew's matches up with Draughn, Mt.Airy, and ER...just saying..

We had one Td called back and about 3 big plays nullified because of penalties. In all accounts we could have scored 50 but just wasn’t as crisp last night. We are a little spoiled thinking we should score 40 points every game but that’s not how it happens in playoffs as you get deeper. As usual our defense was very good last night. As far as penalties I’ve rewatched the game and seen 3 penalties that had no warrant at all. I just don’t see why officials are throwing flags for picky things after the play is down field 30 yds. Unless it’s a unsportsmanlike leave it alone. These calls didn’t start till we got into conference play. Don’t get me wrong, if it’s a solid call then throw it. If not you have to let the kids play. You could throw a flag every single down and destroy the flow of the game
I saw the worst call I've seen all year and one I've never even seen last night. Mitchell threw a TD pass and when the flag came out I thought another hold call but it wasn't or any contact penalty but unsportsmanlike well okay that's a non-contact dead ball foul so TD and 15 on the kickoff but they call it as if was during the play and took away the TD and backed them up 15. That's a dead ball penalty if you want to call some kinda personal foul during the play fine but you can't call unsportsmanlike where do they get some of these people?

Last edited:
I listened to the game on WTOE and the guys were talking about several different calls last night. Evidently the official calling most the penalties was on the Draughn sideline.
Well we've all seen games where you have bad calls or missed calls or kinda one sided calls but this I'm not even saying someone didn't preform some kinda illegal act in this case but you can't call unsportsmanlike during the play if it's something like a illegal hit or something like hand to face whatever fine but I don't know when or for what he threw the flag but unsportsmanlike is a dead ball foul the dumbest ref should know that.

It didn’t beat us but it was the typical nchsaa playoff crew
Right it didn't I do believe Mitchell missed some opportunities to score more besides this one but would have just made it closer D didn't play well enough to win but I believe this wasn't even as good as a typical crew.

I will take Andrews. They don't beat themselves with turnovers and penalities. On a side note, will the officials be from the SMC? Protocol is that the officials be from a neutral association starting in the 3rd round.

Man if it wasn’t such a trip, I would love to see this one. Murphy must play better defense than Thursday night to have a chance. BUT never count the Dogs out in the playoffs.

Andrews by 7

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I will take Andrews. They don't beat themselves with turnovers and penalities. On a side note, will the officials be from the SMC? Protocol is that the officials be from a neutral association starting in the 3rd round.
Only if both teams agree since bost teams are from same conf.

If Murphy can cut down on penaltys they will do better than last game.
Not just penalties, QB play has to be way better this go round. #14 is a good QB when he's on his game but inconsistent, has a bad habit of putting too much loft on the ball with deep throws at times. You can't beat anyone with a pulse throwing 6 interceptions. If he plays like he's capable of Murphy will have a shot, otherwise forget it, penalties or not.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Not just penalties, QB play has to be way better this go round. #14 is a good QB when he's on his game but inconsistent, has a bad habit of putting too much loft on the ball with deep throws at times. You can't beat anyone with a pulse throwing 6 interceptions. If he plays like he's capable of Murphy will have a shot, otherwise forget it, penalties or not.
It’s going to be a war in The Valley !! Both teams will be ready but need to keep their emotions in tact. You can get to up for a game

I hope my dogs get the job done but I don’t know if they’ll be able to. The cats are the REAL DEAL! Andrews 42-24

From the NCHSAA handbook....

SELECTION OF OFFICIALS: For the first two rounds of the state playoffs, officials are
to be assigned by the regional supervisor of the higher seeded team. The NCHSAA Supervisor of Officials will assign a regional supervisor to assign crews to games in the quarterfinals and NCHSAA regionals. Clock operators may be assigned starting with the second round, but this is strictly optional for schools. The Supervisor of Officials will assign crews to all state cham-pionship games. A seven-man crew will be used in the championship games.

Outside of the home team paying the officials and the opinion on clock operators I don't see anything about the schools being involved or having to agree on officials during the playoffs.
Looks like in the 3rd round the supervisor officials will choose the regional supervisor who will choose the official crew apparently then his/her choice and doesn't meationed they have to chose from any particular conference.

From the NCHSAA handbook....

SELECTION OF OFFICIALS: For the first two rounds of the state playoffs, officials are
to be assigned by the regional supervisor of the higher seeded team. The NCHSAA Supervisor of Officials will assign a regional supervisor to assign crews to games in the quarterfinals and NCHSAA regionals. Clock operators may be assigned starting with the second round, but this is strictly optional for schools. The Supervisor of Officials will assign crews to all state cham-pionship games. A seven-man crew will be used in the championship games.

Outside of the home team paying the officials and the opinion on clock operators I don't see anything about the schools being involved or having to agree on officials during the playoffs.
Looks like in the 3rd round the supervisor officials will choose the regional supervisor who will choose the official crew apparently then his/her choice and doesn't meationed they have to chose from any particular conference.
NCHSAA does asighn after 2nd round. Most time it is officials from different areas. But officials shortage has made it nessecary to do this. Im just going by what my local supervisor told us when this happened.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I have worked 4th rd in softball and it was our association and the teams were ones we covered. we were told that both teams agreed on it. I know this past season in baseball our association had to cover a 3rd rd playoff game that was a team we covered against a team we didnt bc shortage of officials.
Football and basketball are different. I knew you were going to say baseball. It does happen in it and softball. I have heard that some schools have even requested the umps they want from the assigned association.

Also, new sheriff in town at NCHSAA, who knows what he will do.

May help him get that 4th round game again.
Wasn't bragging by any means was just letting uk was 4th rd bc its past rd2. 20 seasons in I get what I earn. I love being around the game and the kids. Kids work so hard in practice everyday and deserve the best out of all officials. And NC has some great offical's.
I have seen you work at few MA games over the years and you do a great job.

Watched some of the first half from the game a couple weeks ago on YouTube and it looked like Murphy could move the ball they were just plagued by turnovers - and Andrews made the turnovers hurt like a good team is supposed to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT