ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain Athletic 4A/3A Week 1 Predictions and Preseason Power Rankings

Titanman27

Sep 4, 2019
Football season is finally here! The MAC should be top-heavy once again with Asheville and Reynolds having solid teams battling for first. Roberson should be improved while Erwin and McDowell could take small steps back. Can Enka move into the middle of the conference? Will North Buncombe be a little more competitive? Buckle up!

Week 1 Predictions-

Robbinsville @ Asheville- This was one of the biggest upsets of the season last year (or was it really an upset?) Asheville should come into this one with a little extra motivation and returns most of their nasty defense from last season. The cougars do have a freshman QB who will take some lumps but is very talented. Robbinsville will look to dominate the line of scrimmage like last year but I don't see it happening so easily at Asheville High this time around. Expect a good game with Asheville pulling away late.

Asheville 27
Robbinsville 14

Mitchell @ Erwin- Talk about a gauntlet. Erwin opens the season with preseason 1A state title favorite Mitchell before traveling to usually tough Mountain Heritage. Mitchell destroyed the warriors pretty easily last season and Erwin has to replace a lot of starters from last year's team. If Erwin can keep it closer than last season it could mean good things for this year's team. I don't see it happening,

Mitchell 41
Erwin 13

McDowell @ RS Central- As is often the case, this game will determine a lot about how this year's season will go for both teams. McDowell had a decent year last year but was throttled by top teams Reynolds and Asheville. The titans have to replace much of their offensive and defensive lines but have some interesting players at RB and DE. RS is also replacing most of their teams and this game will surely be a close one.

McDowell 21
RS Central 20

Swain @ North Buncombe- Can the Blackhawks keep it competitive this season? Last season was a rough one with blowout loss after blowout loss. Swain is looking to get back to being a power in the SMC after struggling recently. Swain should win.

Swain 28
North Buncombe 13

West Forsyth @ Reynolds- Reynolds took it on the chin last season in this matchup but this year West Forsyth has to make the long trip up the mountain. Reynolds should be improved from last season and this is likely to be a close battle. I like Reynolds to take back the conference title this year and this could be a statement game for them that they are back. I expect a low scoring defensive game with Reynolds pulling it out late.

Reynolds 20
West Forsyth 14

Watauga @ Roberson- There has been chatter about how Roberson should be much improved this season after a rough 2021. This game should tell us a lot more about how much. Watauga is always solid and should be quite good once again this fall. they have an NC State commit on the d line and a tough running game. Last season Watauga won 33-0 at home, lets see if its any closer at TC this year,

Watauga 28
Roberson 14

Enka- BYE

Preseason Power Rankings

1. Asheville
2. Reynolds
3. Roberson
4. Erwin
5. McDowell
6. Enka
7. North Buncombe

Here are my week one guesses!

- Asheville rolls over Robbinsville
- Mitchell wins easily
- RS Central because their at home
- Swain handles poor ole NB
- West Forsyth in a close one, ACR offense might struggle early this year with new QB (hope I’m wrong), defense and special teams for ACR will be strong again this year.
- Watauga wins a hard fought game
- Enka will handle Bye easily this year!

- Mitchell wins easily
- West Forsyth in a close one, ACR offense might struggle early this year with new QB (hope I’m wrong), defense and special teams for ACR will be strong again this year.
😂😂

Reactions: Maiden Creek

- Mitchell wins easily
I agree RR but I think we pull out a win at the end. WF graduated a lot but will be coached well.

Asheville 26
Robbinsville 14

Good game in Asheville. The cougars had a good test from a solid Robbinsville team. These type of games will help them later in the season.

Mitchell 42
Erwin 19

Erwin hung pretty tough against powerhouse Mitchell and could finish 3rd.

Swain 21
North Buncombe 0

Well at least the North defense may have improved. May be another long season for NB.

McDowell 39
RS Central 36

What a game. McDowell fought and clawed their way to a big road win. Special teams were a disaster for the Titans with a kickoff return TD allowed, blocked PAT, and another long kickoff return that resulted in 7. Offensively, McDowell was balanced and has a good stable of RBs and a great TE who bailed them out a few times.

Reynolds 37
West Forsyth 0

Statement made by the rockets. They look to be the team to beat in the MAC and could make noise in the state playoffs if they improve throughout the season like they normally do

Watauga 42
Roberson 13

Roberson has been getting a lot of praise and was humbled by a solid Watauga team that is good on both sides of the ball.

ACR played a very good game in all aspects. Defense dominated, 3 forced TO, offense moved the ball fairly well against a much bigger DL, and special teams played great, no big returns allowed, a blocked FG returned for TD, recovered fumble of punt and 3 FG’s (40,30,31 yards), and all extra points made. As good an all around performance as we’ve had in awhile and against a very big and talented team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT