ADVERTISEMENT

Morehead

I agree there was always a baseline of talent at Reidsville but I think you are also forgetting to see is that with the closing down of the American Tobacco company pretty much dried up the town which had a huge effect on people leaving the city for work etc.....This had a direct affect on the football program dropping them in classifications (less people less kids) making it easier for them to compete year in and year out because there enrollment during the 70's and 80's I believe Reidsville was 3a and even 4a a time or to. Now they are consistently 2a and have heard they were close to 1a (dont quote me) In otherwords getting to 2a helped them as much as any player ever did.

I feel like we can compete at the 3a level as well. Probably have a few less titles. But I think we'd have some championships.

At the end of the day transferring is something to deal with. It’s not going anywhere. Every school has to deal with it. Reidsville has football and basketball, Morehead has wrestling and baseball etc. there is also reclassifying. It is what it is. The difference between Reidsville and Eden is the community behind them, all 3 levels of team working together, coaching. The prowlers and middle school do not mirror the high school. That needs to change. Replying to what happened to Crouch. He was ran out of town because parents couldn’t take kids being coached. He was a no nonsense kind of guy. My favorite coach of all time. He coached a tough smash mouth brand of football. Hopefully this new hire will reinvigorate the program. The next question is once Reidsville gets the new field in how long till the remove it because of injuries?

I agree there was always a baseline of talent at Reidsville but I think you are also forgetting to see is that with the closing down of the American Tobacco company pretty much dried up the town which had a huge effect on people leaving the city for work etc.....This had a direct affect on the football program dropping them in classifications (less people less kids) making it easier for them to compete year in and year out because there enrollment during the 70's and 80's I believe Reidsville was 3a and even 4a a time or to. Now they are consistently 2a and have heard they were close to 1a (dont quote me) In otherwords getting to 2a helped them as much as any player ever did.
No doubt about it. Same could be said for Morehead with Miller leaving. None of the towns in Rockingham County, including Madison-Mayodan, are what they were 30 years ago but this has happened all over America.

Placement in a class is all relative. When they were 4A & 3A their enrollment put them there. They were a small 4A and it was tough during those years but in 3A they were rightly placed and competitive. Many schools could claim this as a reason for their lack of success.

During most of the 90's when they were 3A they had some good teams. It seems they had a number one ranked team that was undefeated until losing to eventual state champion W. Brunswick in early 90's. During this period the Rams became a regular playoff participant but state championships eluded them. They could never quite get over the "hump." There was something missing.

The void was filled when a mobile QB transferred from McMichael HS in 2002. Reidsville had produced some good QB's but nothing like this kid. He was not only a good thrower he could beat you with his legs. His appearance on the scene coincided with the NCHSAA splitting the 4 divisions into 8 for football championships. Not only was Reidsville now a 2A school they were placed in a division opposite traditional state powers like Shelby.

Many things in life is timing. The timing could not have been better for the Rams in 2002. Winning a state championship that season was, IMO, the springboard for what has become a true dynasty but it's come about in part because there have been many who have followed in the footsteps of that QB transfer.

This is the truth. Reidsville has a great program. No one can argue that but the truth is also that they have become the beneficiary of quite a bit of talent that was/is not necessarily homegrown. It's going to be interesting to see if young coach Teague will be able to keep the pipeline open. I suspect keeping his dad around may allow them to continue their dominance for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwguilford007
I feel like we can compete at the 3a level as well. Probably have a few less titles. But I think we'd have some championships

No doubt about it. Same could be said for Morehead with Miller leaving. None of the towns in Rockingham County, including Madison-Mayodan, are what they were 30 years ago but this has happened all over America.

Placement in a class is all relative. When they were 4A & 3A their enrollment put them there. They were a small 4A and it was tough during those years but in 3A they were rightly placed and competitive. Many schools could claim this as a reason for their lack of success.

During most of the 90's when they were 3A they had some good teams. It seems they had a number one ranked team that was undefeated until losing to eventual state champion W. Brunswick in early 90's. During this period the Rams became a regular playoff participant but state championships eluded them. They could never quite get over the "hump." There was something missing.

The void was filled when a mobile QB transferred from McMichael HS in 2002. Reidsville had produced some good QB's but nothing like this kid. He was not only a good thrower he could beat you with his legs. His appearance on the scene coincided with the NCHSAA splitting the 4 divisions into 8 for football championships. Not only was Reidsville now a 2A school they were placed in a division opposite traditional state powers like Shelby.

Many things in life is timing. The timing could not have been better for the Rams in 2002. Winning a state championship that season was, IMO, the springboard for what has become a true dynasty but it's come about in part because there have been many who have followed in the footsteps of that QB transfer.

This is the truth. Reidsville has a great program. No one can argue that but the truth is also that they have become the beneficiary of quite a bit of talent that was/is not necessarily homegrown. It's going to be interesting to see if young coach Teague will be able to keep the pipeline open. I suspect keeping his dad around may allow them to continue their dominance for years to come.
What was that fellas name because I thought Erik Teague was the qb then....Obviously I am wrong but just wondering because you seem to know your history.

Its been some Reidsville teams that have been complete homegrown. 2018 comes to mind. 2002 Reidsville was the absolute champion remember burlington cummings was the other 2a champion reidsville beat. Also remember everyone said Reidsville could not come out of the west in a unified bracket.

Not saying your wrong, but some of the stuff I do disagree with.

Its been some Reidsville teams that have been complete homegrown. 2018 comes to mind. 2002 Reidsville was the absolute champion remember burlington cummings was the other 2a champion reidsville beat. Also remember everyone said Reidsville could not come out of the west in a unified bracket.

Not saying your wrong, but some of the stuff I do disagree with.
Who was the QB in 2018?

Was hoping to avoid naming anyone but I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge. Anthony Crews was that QB. He was a good one. Eric was a good QB in his own right but he came a bit later
pretty cool i just looked up the news and record article on crews and said that before that season no one had heard of crews. Bet he is thankful to his folks for making that move now

pretty cool i just looked up the news and record article on crews and said that before that season no one had heard of crews. Bet he is thankful to his folks for making that move now

He actually committed to elon as well. I know some people run their mouth about Reidsville and college, but I think this instance was great for him to get an offer to Elon.

He actually committed to elon as well. I know some people run their mouth about Reidsville and college, but I think this instance was great for him to get an offer to Elon.
yes thats what the article said

Reactions: tarheel fan1
yes thats what the article said

If they didnt know who he was before he came to Reidsville that is their fault. Dude was a beast at McMichael. He and Cornigans (huge RB, but they had a few like him.... Jeff Neal anyone?) put up 33 points back to back years against the Rams.

Reactions: shtndark
Yes, I scouted Crews in a game versus a pretty good Alamance County team his junior year. As usual McMichael could not stop the other team on defense but AC threw for about 200 and while running for his life, he probably gained another 75+ on the ground. There was no doubt when it was confirmed he would attend Reidsville that the program there would move to a different level.

Yes, I scouted Crews in a game versus a pretty good Alamance County team his junior year. As usual McMichael could not stop the other team on defense but AC threw for about 200 and while running for his life, he probably gained another 75+ on the ground. There was no doubt when it was confirmed he would attend Reidsville that the program there would move to a different level.

When I started following the rams in 2000 they went to the 3rd round. That team wasn't really supposed to make a run like that. 2001 was supposed to be better, they may have been a qb away from making a deep run.

Looking at old scores, my son asked how did mcmichael score 35 against reidsville in 2001. I simply said….Anthony Crews.
The presumed qb for 2002 did win it in 2003 so you may say we would have won it in 2002 without Crews.

Looking at old scores, my son asked how did mcmichael score 35 against reidsville in 2001. I simply said….Anthony Crews.
The presumed qb for 2002 did win it in 2003 so you may say we would have won it in 2002 without Crews.
would you say crews was beter than ray ray butchee ?

My source says interviews start next week and pickings are slim.
I’m sure I mean What school wants go to any school that has high turnover I mean If they could get a coach that Willing be there in long haul n actually get everyone buy in who knows what they could do

IMO, the best coach for MHS is already in the building. He hasn't coached in a few years but he is highly qualified. He was a starting offensive lineman at a small college and has coached that position in high school so he knows OL play. He has been a defensive coordinator so he is plenty knowledgeable on that side. He has run a weight room. He is an Eden guy and still lives there so he isn't going anywhere.

Part of Morehead's problem is they don't know their own identity. This guy knows who they have been, who they are, and who they can be. He's been passed over a few times in the past. One of those times he probably wasn't ready. He got screwed the last time so I don't think he bothered to apply this go round.

If anyone associated with the Morehead administration is reading this, and they are as smart as I think they are, they know who this person is and I'm wondering; what the hell are y'all waiting for? Call a meeting tomorrow.

Reactions: FBallGuy82
He would be a great choice but he doesn’t want it. He has a young son and wants to watch him grow up. As a coach those long hours would not allow that. One thing is for certain it needs to be someone who wants to live in the community.

He would be a great choice but he doesn’t want it. He has a young son and wants to watch him grow up. As a coach those long hours would not allow that. One thing is for certain it needs to be someone who wants to live in the community.
I'm certain you are mistaken. Has he been approached? After being passed over and pissed on like he has been I would be leery of applying too but that doesn't mean he isn't interested. Yes, he has a young family but I predict that this fall if he is not an administrator he will be doing something with football somewhere and it will be Morehead's loss. He loves the game, loves kids and deep down inside loves his alma mater. Someone should at least have had a conversation with him.

Reactions: FBallGuy82
On the Banks of Old Dan River
In a Field of Rye
Stands an old Deserted Outhouse
Know as Morehead High.

Popular tune from the 1950s chanted by Reidsville High students at game between teams.

Last edited:
They gotta make a hire that make sense. They gotta do a local guy - I know I bring up ton but look Mooresville n South Iredell both “Hired” the wrong guy at times but They finally got them right but South n Mooresville passed up on Qualified guys and all so - U have know sometimes the Outside hire doesn’t work and seem at Morehead that’s the case and seem they need a alumni or someone who knows that town/area inside and out to be successful

It is time for Morehead to make the "Right" hire. They have had multiple coaches from area schools and none of them have worked out. They tried to bring someone in from outside the county with no ties and you guessed it that didnt work. Hopefully they do the program right and hire someone that wants to be here and wants to see Morehead succeed and not just use it as a stepping stone.

It is time for Morehead to make the "Right" hire. They have had multiple coaches from area schools and none of them have worked out. They tried to bring someone in from outside the county with no ties and you guessed it that didnt work. Hopefully they do the program right and hire someone that wants to be here and wants to see Morehead succeed and not just use it as a stepping stone.
I keep telling you the guy they need is there and he would do as well if not better than anyone that's headed the program in recent memory.

EB got a lot of credit and deservedly so for what he accomplished in 2015 but even he would tell you that was a special class. He knew when they left it was time to move on.

A man with ole school, blue collar work ethic that is homegrown will rally the support of the community and re-instill pride back in the program. It can't be someone that has left town and is brought back for this purpose because Eden has changed. It isn't the place it was 20-30 years ago. The hire needs to be someone that has stayed in town and weathered the changes. Again, only one person I know fits that description.

People always assume they know but they really don't know. I just wonder if anyone that matters has sat down with this individual and talked to him?

We will see what happens. I think he would be a good hire but there are several people that have applied that would be good hires. Only time will tell. No matter what whoever gets it will have to do the little things and begin pulling talent out of the hall way. Reestablishing relationships with the middle school and with the Prowlers. They should all 3 be on the same page. They also need to keep the kids from Eden in Eden. Whoever the new coach is. If he can do those things he is headed in the right direction.

Reactions: PEallStar

What exactly is homegrown talent?

What coach generated the most excitement in Morehead: best seasons, etc.?
Clayton Johnson, early 90's with 2 conference championships, playing Cummings in the playoffs when they were awesome. Crouch in 2005 when they beat the rams and went to the second or third round, Bates in 2015, third round, and the last Stadler in his third year at MHS 2018 6-6. Out of all of the coaches that have been in this county, the only coach who has come close to beating the rams was Stadler. They had a few chances at Rockingham and the blocked FG that kept his Morehead team from winning in 2018. No other coach has come close.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
What exactly is homegrown talent?
I think we all know but for the record it's anyone who is born in a place and basically grows to adolescence or spends the majority of their formative years in that place. We somehow have justified transfers if they take place in middle school. If the kid has grown up since birth in a place and participating all through grade school with the same people that's "homegrown."

Reactions: Eaglemeister
Since 2000 Mickey Crouch who had 3 or 4 straight playoff appearances. His first year we beat Reidsville 34-28. Earl Bates making it to the 3rd round. Prior to 2000 Clayton Johnson.

Clayton Johnson, early 90's with 2 conference championships, playing Cummings in the playoffs when they were awesome. Crouch in 2005 when they beat the rams and went to the second or third round, Bates in 2015, third round, and the last Stadler in his third year at MHS 2018 6-6. Out of all of the coaches that have been in this county, the only coach who has come close to beating the rams was Stadler. They had a few chances at Rockingham and the blocked FG that kept his Morehead team from winning in 2018. No other coach has come close.
I like the way you talk about yourself in the "third person" coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT