ADVERTISEMENT

Morehead

It could be a good job, with time and patience. The youth program has gotten better in the past 3 or 4 years with the Prowlers. Good community support as well, even with a not so good product.

Reactions: SWO4EVEr91
I like Morehead. Nice community and a good location IMO. They've always been known as a Wrestling school. That doesn't always equate to success in football. I don't remember seeing the weight room, but I'd expect it's nice.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Morehead high school has also won several state titles in basketball in the 50's 60's and 90's........believe it or not.......also they were know as Tri-City high school for a few years in the early 50's before being known as Morehead in the late 50's.....won a couple of basketball titles as Tri-City.........won back to back 3A basketball titles in the early 90's.....................

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
7 different coaches in 22 years. Turnover will continue at that place as long as the administration hires people who use it as a stepping stone for other jobs.
True. Find someone who is ready to stay there for the long haul. They have nice facilities.

I would love to see a previous player such as Antico Dalton. At the end of the day it has to be someone that wants to be here. Dont know much about Baker but still in the past coaches from other county schools has not worked out in Eden. The one exception being Bates. The last coach with sustained success was Crouch. Its a tough job to take but with the right person they can be successful. The youth program has been pretty successful and with the right coach they can keep those kids in Eden playing.

I would love to see a previous player such as Antico Dalton. At the end of the day it has to be someone that wants to be here. Dont know much about Baker but still in the past coaches from other county schools has not worked out in Eden. The one exception being Bates. The last coach with sustained success was Crouch. Its a tough job to take but with the right person they can be successful. The youth program has been pretty successful and with the right coach they can keep those kids in Eden playing.

What happened to crouch? He had some really good teams

One area coach nicknamed him coach "grouch" but he got results. His smash mouth style fit the personality in Eden. Not sure Eden is same place today.

100% Correct on a lot of your points. The Prowlers are the best thing to happen to Eden football, getting these kids playing together at an early age with a common goal when they get to Holmes and JM Morehead. There is some talent on those teams for sure. And yes, need a coach that will take the time to build something special. There are athletes in Eden, just gotta get them motivated and wanting to play.

100% Correct on a lot of your points. The Prowlers are the best thing to happen to Eden football, getting these kids playing together at an early age with a common goal when they get to Holmes and JM Morehead. There is some talent on those teams for sure. And yes, need a coach that will take the time to build something special. There are athletes in Eden, just gotta get them motivated and wanting to play
I agree with you that the prowlers have had a good impact on the youth. I would say that the adults involved with the prowlers organization with the exception of a few are in it for themselves. they promote what they do but have no dedication to the middle or high school in Eden.

Another issue has been that there is no connection from the prowlers, middle, and high. The turnover rate at the high school is beat by the turnover in coaching at the middle school. The inability of having coaches who all have a common goal has hurt Morehead in my opinion. Each level is out to do things their own way instead of teaching kids what they will need to know going forward. Each level coaches feel like they know what's best and they do not work together. From what I have seen those youth programs in Reidsville work well with the middle and high school programs and those kids learn success their whole playing career.

Reactions: nwguilford007
I agree with you that the prowlers have had a good impact on the youth. I would say that the adults involved with the prowlers organization with the exception of a few are in it for themselves. they promote what they do but have no dedication to the middle or high school in Eden.

Another issue has been that there is no connection from the prowlers, middle, and high. The turnover rate at the high school is beat by the turnover in coaching at the middle school. The inability of having coaches who all have a common goal has hurt Morehead in my opinion. Each level is out to do things their own way instead of teaching kids what they will need to know going forward. Each level coaches feel like they know what's best and they do not work together. From what I have seen those youth programs in Reidsville work well with the middle and high school programs and those kids learn success their whole playing career.
If I have a kid who is good at football at Morehead ....Im moving 15 mins down the road to Reidsville ASAP lol common sense

I agree with most of the former coach's points. I do think the turnover rate at MHS has had some affect on there being coordination between programs but it hasn't always been because the high school coach hasn't wanted it.

I'm sure Torain wanted the youth program and middle school to mirror his program. Other coaches before him also tried. I think the Prowlers leadership was/is all in. A lot of them have witnessed the success at Reidsville and understand why it is.

The weak link in the chain at Morehead, going back many years, has been at the middle school. The number of different coaches at Holmes through the years is staggering. The turnover there is worse than at Morehead and unlike Reidsville where coach Chestnut fully embraces the high school system, there has been little effort to do the same at Holmes. When there is a different coach every 2 or 3 years it makes it even more difficult.

As far as good players moving 15 min south.........that's been happening. Two cases in point are current Rams Flippen & Redd. Both are Eden natives.

I would say that the adults involved with the prowlers organization with the exception of a few are in it for themselves. they promote what they do but have no dedication to the middle or high school in Eden.

Wouldnt be talking about a certain elected official would you? LOL

I agree with most of the former coach's points. I do think the turnover rate at MHS has had some affect on there being coordination between programs but it hasn't always been because the high school coach hasn't wanted it.

I'm sure Torain wanted the youth program and middle school to mirror his program. Other coaches before him also tried. I think the Prowlers leadership was/is all in. A lot of them have witnessed the success at Reidsville and understand why it is.

The weak link in the chain at Morehead, going back many years, has been at the middle school. The number of different coaches at Holmes through the years is staggering. The turnover there is worse than at Morehead and unlike Reidsville where coach Chestnut fully embraces the high school system, there has been little effort to do the same at Holmes. When there is a different coach every 2 or 3 years it makes it even more difficult.

As far as good players moving 15 min south.........that's been happening. Two cases in point are current Rams Flippen & Redd. Both are Eden natives.
Hard to find a prowlers person wearing a Morehead shirt on Friday nights, they only advertise themselves, with the exception of the new leader of the prowlers who helped coach the high school for many years.

I know the coach before Torain had meetings that were open to all youth and middle school programs where they would get together and discuss the way to get everyone on the same page as far as system, values, numbering systems, but like I said when everyone returned to their program they thought they knew best.

Middle school had opportunities to have consistency but the former principal played the buddy system instead of hiring the right people.

Reactions: shtndark

Yeah, I get it. Flippen has been with the rams since middle school though. Redd did come in during hs.

Yes, Flippen has been there since middle school but he grew up in Eden. As a matter of fact, I believe he was once a member of the Prowler organization. Not trying to stir the transfer pot here. Just stating facts. I've heard more than one person say that the way to stop the transfers is to compete. I don't disagree. I do think it is made more difficult when schools have to take a knife to a gun fight.

Reactions: tarheel fan1
I agree with the former coach and nwg guy but I can't say I think that makes it right. Listen, we passed the point of no return on this issue a long time ago and it goes on everywhere. My problem is that since we know it exists give coaches at some of these schools a break. You can be a hell of a football coach in Rockingham County right now but you are not going to beat Reidsville and it's been that way for awhile. No need to beat around the bush. The same could have been said for the wrestling coaches at schools other than Morehead a few years ago and for most of the last 30 years RC was the baseball school.

To me it speaks to a greater issue in culture and society which in my opinion can no longer be resolved. I am becoming an old person quickly as I often find myself reminiscing about times gone by and growing nostalgic for a simpler time when people took pride in their small hometown high school. Loyalty to anything other than one's self is rare today and in my opinion selfishness is one of the reasons why we continue to devolve.

Reactions: Naquedskwirrels
I agree with the former coach and nwg guy but I can't say I think that makes it right. Listen, we passed the point of no return on this issue a long time ago and it goes on everywhere. My problem is that since we know it exists give coaches at some of these schools a break. You can be a hell of a football coach in Rockingham County right now but you are not going to beat Reidsville and it's been that way for awhile. No need to beat around the bush. The same could have been said for the wrestling coaches at schools other than Morehead a few years ago and for most of the last 30 years RC was the baseball school.

To me it speaks to a greater issue in culture and society which in my opinion can no longer be resolved. I am becoming an old person quickly as I often find myself reminiscing about times gone by and growing nostalgic for a simpler time when people took pride in their small hometown high school. Loyalty to anything other than one's self is rare today and in my opinion selfishness is one of the reasons why we continue to devolve.
I just think as parents you want to put your kid in the best place to succeed in whatever it is. No different than here in guilford if you are gifted in the arts you go to weaver. If your gifted in math and science you go somewhere for that. If you are interested in military you go to school with ROTC. etc. Sports should be no different in my opinion. Go where the school is that has the coach/coaches to give you the best experience in high school and have you prepared once you leave and are in college.

There's the rub my friend. IMO we try to fix too many things for our young people in society today. Is that really what's in their best interest and preparing them for the harsh realities of life? Instead of encouraging them to make the best of everything we want to inject into a situation that is already the best and they don' have to work as hard. Every generation of Americans has wanted to give their children a better life than they themselves experienced but somewhere we have crossed a line an spoiled them. We have given too much. Few earn their way anymore. Again, I'm old. Lol I've seen a major shift in societal norms in a lot of areas and if we are honest a lot of them have not been for the best.

There's the rub my friend. IMO we try to fix too many things for our young people in society today. Is that really what's in their best interest and preparing them for the harsh realities of life? Instead of encouraging them to make the best of everything we want to inject into a situation that is already the best and they don' have to work as hard. Every generation of Americans has wanted to give their children a better life than they themselves experienced but somewhere we have crossed a line a spoiled them. We have given too much. Few earn their way anymore. Again, I'm old. Lol I've seen a major shift in societal norms in a lot of areas and if we are honest a lot of them have not been for the best.
I get what your saying but to say we inject a place where they don’t have to work is not true imo….if you are at a current school and you have a slap for a coach who doesn’t push you or the team and he or she is just going through the motions what’s wrong with sending your kid to a coach who puts a lot into it and goes the extra mile for his team and the kids? And probably pushes your child and makes them work harder and who is surrounded by possibly more talent that pushes them even more at practice. Idk guess I’ll have to agree to disagree on this one

I must address a couple of things though. One, at least in the piedmont triad, I don't know of many "slappy" coaches. There are a lot of very competent, hard working men leading programs. Few if any are just going through the motions to protect their check. Knowing the schools in Rockingham County like I do I can tell you the coaches at Reidsville don't outwork the other county coaches. They have simply had more to work with over the last 20 years.

On the other hand, I've never not given them credit either. A lot of people think they win on talent only. That's a falsehood too. They work but they don't necessarily outwork their opponents. They work because that is what a high school football coach does. Anyone that has coached knows what I'm talking about.

Your arguments sound valid and a couple are. I agree that where there is talent a player has to work hard to keep up and get PT but I also know that the expectation of winning is a big motivator. How much harder will a kid that knows he has a chance to win a state championship work compared to a kid that knows his school may win 4 games at best.

Reidsville didn't win a state championship and had some lean years between 1970 and the 2000's. They weren't all bad though. Through the 70's & 80's they had some 7-3, 8-2 and maybe even a 9-1 team but for many of those years you didn't make the playoffs unless you won your conference. With the arrival of Mark Barnes and eventually Jimmy Teague in the early 90's the program started to rise back up. In other words, there has always been a baseline of talent in Reidsville.

There was a cataclysmic shift in talent that started in the early 2000's. Whether by hook or crook the majority of football talent has wound up in Reidsville these last two decades. It has created an imbalance that may never be overcome. Case in point; the Rams outscored their county opponents 161-20 this past season. This won't change as long as football parents are allowed to keep sending their children to the "best football" school. Note: I don't condone wrestling parents, baseball parents, girls b-ball parents, etc. doing the same.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree

Last edited:
I must address a couple of things though. One, at least in the piedmont triad, I don't know of many "slappy" coaches. There are a lot of very competent, hard working men leading programs. Few if any are just going through the motions to protect their check. Knowing the schools in Rockingham County like I do I can tell you the coaches at Reidsville don't outwork the other county coaches. They have simply had more to work with over the last 20 years.

On the other hand, I've never not given them credit either. A lot of people think they win on talent only. That's a falsehood too. They work but they don't necessarily outwork their opponents. They work because that is what a high school football coach does. Anyone that has coached knows what I'm talking about.

Your arguments sound valid and a couple are. I agree that where there is talent a player has to work hard to keep up and get PT but I also know that the expectation of winning is a big motivator. How much harder will a kid that knows he has a chance to win a state championship work compared to a kid that knows his school may win 4 games at best.

Reidsville didn't win a state championship and had some lean years between 1970 and the 2000's. They weren't all bad though. Through the 70's & 80's they had some 7-3, 8-2 and maybe even a 9-1 team but for many of those years you didn't make the playoffs unless you won your conference. With the arrival of Mark Barnes and eventually Jimmy Teague in the early 90's the program started to rise back up. In other words, there has always been a baseline of talent in Reidsville.

There was a cataclysmic shift in talent that started in the early 2000's. Whether by hook or crook the majority of football talent has wound up in Reidsville these last two decades. It has created an imbalance that may never be overcome. Case in point; the Rams outscored their county opponents 161-20 this past season. This won't change as long as football parents are allowed to keep sending their children to the "best football" school. Note: I don't condone wrestling parents, baseball parents, girls b-ball parents, etc. doing the same.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree
I agree there was always a baseline of talent at Reidsville but I think you are also forgetting to see is that with the closing down of the American Tobacco company pretty much dried up the town which had a huge effect on people leaving the city for work etc.....This had a direct affect on the football program dropping them in classifications (less people less kids) making it easier for them to compete year in and year out because there enrollment during the 70's and 80's I believe Reidsville was 3a and even 4a a time or to. Now they are consistently 2a and have heard they were close to 1a (dont quote me) In otherwords getting to 2a helped them as much as any player ever did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT