5-1 NW Guilford 7-2
4-2 Page 5-4
3-3 SE Guilford 6-3
3-3 SW Guilford 5-4
2-4 N Guilford 4-5
1-5 Ragsdale 1-8
0-6 W Guilford 0-9

Week 7 Matchups
SE Guilford @ Page - Big playoff implications on the line in this match up. Basically whoever wins gets in, whoever loses has a significantly lower chance of getting in (but probably still gets in with a low seed). I was a bit surprised SE wasn't able to score more points against NW on Friday. Does anyone know why? I think this match up is going to be another close one, last year it came down to Page going for 2 in OT and coming up short. I like Page's defense here but it all hinges on if the offense can get TDs instead of FGs.

SW Guilford @ NW Guilford - SW is middle of the road and has had a pretty decent season. If they can somehow get into a shootout and walk away with a win, they could possibly sneak into the playoffs (small chance, and they would need a lot of outside help elsewhere). Northwest has played themselves into a team that can get into the post season and possibly send some higher seeded teams packing in a few weeks. They can pass the ball all over and score in bunches quickly. I think NW is favored in this one, but maybe SW can keep it interesting, since they have a fighters chance of sneaking in somewhere with a win..?

W Guilford @ Ragsdale - This has to be that game where Ragsdale finally gets another one in the win column, right? Wrong.. Western has been knocking on the door a lot recently, and I think has a really good chance of finally getting their first win of the season. Nothing going on here in terms of playoff picture, but a really solid match up brewing. We could see another low scoring game in the single digits, or both teams might score 4+ TDs, hard to tell. Should be a good one.

N Guilford @ Grimsley - Grimsley is a clear cut favorite in this one. NG has struggled to put up points lately, and the Whirlies will have an axe to grind after Page was able to trip them up a bit late on Friday. Grimsley looking to go undefeated in the regular season, and looking for a top seed.

Last edited:
What is the problem at W. Guilford? Seems like they have been simply awful for years. As they are 4A, seems like they could get at least 50-60 kids out for football and at least field a competitive team. I don't get it when 4A teams are that awful for years on end as it is not about a lack of numbers as it can be at smaller 1A schools. The administration there simply not care?

What is the problem at W. Guilford? Seems like they have been simply awful for years. As they are 4A, seems like they could get at least 50-60 kids out for football and at least field a competitive team. I don't get it when 4A teams are that awful for years on end as it is not about a lack of numbers as it can be at smaller 1A schools. The administration there simply not care?
First off, Western has never had a rich football history, but that school does have talent in the halls and if developed correctly, we've seen in the past that they can compete and churn out some D1 footballers. That being said, it takes a solid coaching staff to come in, weather the storm and stay long enough to see the fruits blossom. Coach Causey stayed for a while but couldn't really get things going enough, and they started bringing in new guys recently, that didn't stay for very long. Same situation with Ben L. Smith -- the talent is there, they find a good person to lead them, but can't quite get over the hump, culture and results wise, and then subsequent hires stay for a year or 2 and then resign, and it kind of snowballs. I think the administration at these schools care, it's just finding the right guy to come in and lead for long enough.

Reactions: fitguync30
The current head coach at Western (in his first year), from interviews I've heard, seems like he has the ability to lead the young men over there. It's still to be determined if they can be developed, but signs are pointing to yes, as they've already started to compete in some of these games this year.

First off, Western has never had a rich football history, but that school does have talent in the halls and if developed correctly, we've seen in the past that they can compete and churn out some D1 footballers. That being said, it takes a solid coaching staff to come in, weather the storm and stay long enough to see the fruits blossom. Coach Causey stayed for a while but couldn't really get things going enough, and they started bringing in new guys recently, that didn't stay for very long. Same situation with Ben L. Smith -- the talent is there, they find a good person to lead them, but can't quite get over the hump, culture and results wise, and then subsequent hires stay for a year or 2 and then resign, and it kind of snowballs. I think the administration at these schools care, it's just finding the right guy to come in and lead for long enough.
Yeah, that is usually problem #1. When a school is that bad for that long losing and not caring is the dominant mind set. It take a special coach to come in and get that culture turned around and the mind set changed. Usually, coaches that can do that are already at successful programs and don't want leave where they are. And if a coach that can turn things around ends up at a place where they have to deal with meddlesome parents and boosters that usually makes them want to leave after a few years. The good thing about places like Smith and W. Guilford is that a coach likely gets time and a long leash. The administration will not run him out after 2-3 losing seasons if they see that progress is being made.

Yeah, Causey at Western, and Wiggins at Smith, both stayed for a while and had long leashes, but ultimately weren't able to get over the hump. I think there is a good chance that Western found their guy. Smith is still going through the coaching carousel. Coach Bell came over from High Point Christian Academy, and many thought was the right hire for Smith, but he ended up resigning after the 3rd game of this season and going 4-6 last year (which many saw as a step in the right direction), and is currently working with an interim. Smith has had 7 coaches the last 13 years. Western has had a bit more luck seeing 4 coaches since 2004. Causey had an 8-4 year and two 7-6 years with a 5-7 in there too early on, but wasn't able to sustain and grow from that.

After further review, the Metro 4A has a good chance of seeing 5 teams make the playoffs. SW Guilford is currently 31st in RPI. A lot hinges on what those teams do down there in the 27-37 range.

For some reason I was still in the old format mode, where teams are seeded by where they finish in their conference. The Metro gets 2 berths and then the rest are seeded by RPI. Page and SE Guilford are #22 and #23 currently. Grimsley #1, and NW Guilford #16. Northern Guilford at #35.

Last edited:
Reactions: cimsies
Yeah, Causey at Western, and Wiggins at Smith, both stayed for a while and had long leashes, but ultimately weren't able to get over the hump. I think there is a good chance that Western found their guy. Smith is still going through the coaching carousel. Coach Bell came over from High Point Christian Academy, and many thought was the right hire for Smith, but he ended up resigning after the 3rd game of this season and going 4-6 last year (which many saw as a step in the right direction), and is currently working with an interim. Smith has had 7 coaches the last 13 years. Western has had a bit more luck seeing 4 coaches since 2004. Causey had an 8-4 year and two 7-6 years with a 5-7 in there too early on, but wasn't able to sustain and grow from that.
Smith’s admin has been terrible even though they say they want the football program to flourish. The coaches have not been any better, for example… game day and a kid makes a mistake one coach tells the kid, “Take your sorry ass back to (school they came from)” and that’s a mild example!
Correct about WG and the admin there now is better but before Causey allowed a lot of stuff to go on such as a former player turned HC who was doing things at practice and on game day that is against the law! There was a reason for these schools to lose a ton of kids! Now WG is in total rebuild mode with a new HC and new principal.

Reactions: New3ra
Western Guilford use have good football programs in the 90s?

Western Guilford use have good football programs in the 90s?
Yes, they were pretty darn solid in the 90s, but didnt win the big games. They did win a 3A state title in 1977.
02 0-12
01 2-9
00 1-10
99 2-8
98 8-4 lost 27-24 to Williams 2nd round
97 10-3 lost 28-14 to Dudley 3rd round
96 10-3 lost 28-17 to S Columbus 3rd round
95 13-2 lost 21-19 to Clinton 4th round
94 12-2 lost 30-14 to Wallace-Rose Hill 4th round
93 7-4 lost 23-0 to Clinton 1st round
92 8-3 lost 28-24 to E Alamance 1st round
91 10-2 lost 46-21 to HP Andrews 2nd round
90 5-5
89 2-8

Reactions: fitguync30
Yes, they were pretty darn solid in the 90s, but didnt win the big games. They did win a 3A state title in 1977.
02 0-12
01 2-9
00 1-10
99 2-8
98 8-4 lost 27-24 to Williams 2nd round
97 10-3 lost 28-14 to Dudley 3rd round
96 10-3 lost 28-17 to S Columbus 3rd round
95 13-2 lost 21-19 to Clinton 4th round
94 12-2 lost 30-14 to Wallace-Rose Hill 4th round
93 7-4 lost 23-0 to Clinton 1st round
92 8-3 lost 28-24 to E Alamance 1st round
91 10-2 lost 46-21 to HP Andrews 2nd round
90 5-5
89 2-8
Yeah, I seem to remember WG having a very solid RB back in the mid to late 90s when they had those good records.

Yeah, I seem to remember WG having a very solid RB back in the mid to late 90s when they had those good records.
That running back was Anthony Saunders of Western Guilford, and during his senior season , set the NC all time rushing record in 1996. He later played at UNC, and while not exactly settin' the woods on fire, he played quite a bit at Carolina.

93-96 Anthony Saunders, transferred from Asheboro after his freshman year, still in the record book for 6th most touchdowns at 103 total. Tied 8th for most TDs in a single game at 7 TDs, and 8th for overall rushing yards with 7,782. 4th in most 100 yard rushing games with 40. 2nd in rushing attempts, with 1,132.

93-96 Anthony Saunders, transferred from Asheboro after his freshman year, still in the record book for 6th most touchdowns at 103 total. Tied 8th for most TDs in a single game at 7 TDs, and 8th for overall rushing yards with 7,782. 4th in most 100 yard rushing games with 40. 2nd in rushing attempts, with 1,132.
Off the subject but Saunders senior year was probably one of the best seasons for RB's in the triad. You had Carlos Doggett at Page, Brian Williams at SW Guilford and Art Brown at Mt Tabor. I'm sure that i missed someone else but those are the best that i can remember.

That running back was Anthony Saunders of Western Guilford, and during his senior season , set the NC all time rushing record in 1996. He later played at UNC, and while not exactly settin' the woods on fire, he played quite a bit at Carolina.
Yes, thanks! That is the guy I vaguely remembered that played at WG!

WG had a good team around 2003/04. One of the best games I've ever watched was when WG beat Ragsdale 43-42 at WG (I believe that was Toney Baker's senior year).

After that year, I don't ever remember WG being relevant again.

Guilford County guys, correct me if I'm wrong...........wasn't it around 2004 when NW Guilford's population started exploding? I remember NWG being rather mediocre until Woodruff got there. That might also be another reason for WG's decline.

WG had a good team around 2003/04. One of the best games I've ever watched was when WG beat Ragsdale 43-42 at WG (I believe that was Toney Baker's senior year).

After that year, I don't ever remember WG being relevant again.

Guilford County guys, correct me if I'm wrong...........wasn't it around 2004 when NW Guilford's population started exploding? I remember NWG being rather mediocre until Woodruff got there. That might also be another reason for WG's decline.
Around that time yeah. Since 1962, NW Guilford was pretty terrible (best season was 8-4 in 1987) until Rusty LaRue played QB from 89-92. Even then the best record they had when he was there was 8-5 in 1989. 8-4 in 1996, and 2010 they finally broke the 8 win curse and went 9-4.

What has happened to Ragsdale. What was one of the power house teams and now is struggling.

That is right, Tommy Norwood was a very solid coach and had that program humming. I specifically remember him giving Gillespie fits early on in his tenure at Page.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
What has happened to Ragsdale. What was one of the power house teams and now is struggling.
You see that a lot with teams who used dominant like AL Brown or Ragsdale or whoever then fall down in years after for 1 reason or another I mean Ben L Smith use to be way better at one point I believe

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Smith is very hot and cold. They have had some spells of success sprinkled here and there amidst a lot of mediocrity and a lot of times just plain sorry. Early on, first season in 1964 to 1974, they had a combined record of 73-38-5. Then from 1975 to 1997, they went 75-161-1. Starting in 1998, they went 7-4, 9-4, 9-3, 7-5, and in 2002 they went 0-12 on forfeiture and then 5-7, 2-9, 1-10, 1-10, 0-11, 0-11, 5-7.

Then comes 2010 Smith had TE/WR Eric Ebron and QB Jeff Sims, when they went 10-0 their first 10 games of the season, beating Dudley 28-0, Page 27-18, which was James Summers Junior year and many thought Smith was for real after that win... then last game comes along Southern Alamance, who at the time wasn't one of the strongest programs in the Metro 4A, and Smith either got cocky or rested starters for the playoffs, and lost 20-17. Which everyone was super surprised about, ruining their chance for a first ever undefeated regular season at Smith. Then they get into the playoffs, and lost in the first round 28-22 against High Point Central, who they had beat 35-29, 4th week of non-conference play earlier that same year.

Last edited:
I think it was 1973 when Vince Evans was quarterbacking Smith ( he went to college at University of Southern California ) , Joe and Jeff Bostic, as they both attended Clemson before both had long NFL careers sturdied the line for Smith.. That year they played Sanford Central, ( Lee County ) AT Smith for the championship, with Sanford winning 14-6.
Bob McAdoo also went to Smith.
Smith won the 4-A baseball championship in 1969.

I think it was 1973 when Vince Evans was quarterbacking Smith ( he went to college at University of Southern California ) , Joe and Jeff Bostic, as they both attended Clemson before both had long NFL careers sturdied the line for Smith.. That year they played Sanford Central, ( Lee County ) AT Smith for the championship, with Sanford winning 14-6.
Bob McAdoo also went to Smith.
Smith won the 4-A baseball championship in 1969.
Yup, 1973 was for sure their most successful year in terms of success in the playoffs.

197317-SepThomasvilleN07L
1973214-SepNortheast GuilfordN278W
1973321-SepGreensboro PageC190W
1973428-SepGreensboro GrimsleyC220W
197355-OctNorth ForsythC720L
1973612-OctHigh Point CentralC130W
1973719-OctGreensboro DudleyC100W
1973826-OctWinston Salem ReynoldsC07L
197392-NovEast ForsythC200W
1973109-NovLynchburg, VAN635L
19731116-NovHigh Point AndrewsP97W
19731223-NovGastonia AshbrookP30W
19731330-NovSouth MecklenburgP120W
1973147-DecSanfordP614L95

The High Point Andrews squad that Smith beat in the first round in seventy three featured Johnny Evans at quarterback, a position he played at NC State and a few years with the Cleveland Browns and a few more in the Canadian Football League. Andrews also had Ted Brown, a first round pick for the MInnesota Vikings , and he also played at NC State. Mister Brown played in the NFL for Minnesota for years.

34-17 SEG Final, SEG went up 14-0 very early, Page had a tough time getting into the endzone. I hope they can find a new offensive coordinator for next year.

N Guilford (4-6) – 14
Grimsley (10-0) – 56

SW Guilford (5-5) – 15
NW Guilford (8-2) – 49

SE Guilford (7-3) – 34
Page (5-5) – 17

W Guilford (0-10) – 3
Ragsdale (2-8) – 28

I remember NWG being rather mediocre until Woodruff got there. That might also be another reason for WG's decline.
We had a couple. 500 seasons under Coach King in the early 2000s. When he left for Reagan HS when it opened we were flat out awful. Joe Woodruff was hired in 07. 2007 we won 3 games but beat Top 10 Ragsdale, & Top 5 Mt Tabor. We knew we had a heck of a coach. 2008 we won 6 games made the playoffs for the 1st time in years and our reward was a 1st round beat down by that year's State Champ Richmond County. 2009 We won 5 games but lost 3 or 4 by less than a FG. 2010 we won 9 games beat Scotland in the 1st rd won a share of the conference championship. Under Woody we would win 3 conference championships in 4 seasons. It's great to see Kevin Wallace win because he reminds me alot of Woody. Go Vikings!

Final Standings (** denotes playoff berth, #seed/RPI)

7-0 Grimsley 10-0 ** #1
6-1 NW Guilford 8-2 ** #14
4-3 SE Guilford 7-3 ** #19 (Edges Page on Head-to-Head)
4-3 Page 5-5 ** #25
3-4 SW Guilford 5-5 ** #31
2-5 Ragsdale 2-8 #45 (Edges N Guilford on Head-to-Head)
2-5 N Guilford 4-6 #32 (misses playoff berth because of Head-to-Head loss against Ragsdale)
0-7 W Guilford 0-10 #51

The Metro 4A was 1 point away from getting 6 teams into the playoffs, a 38-37 Ragsdale win over Northern Guilford.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT