ADVERTISEMENT

MAs Tyler Mason

Tyler is a player that you really musty see to realize he is just a cut above. But he is not the only Rb at Mt Airy. Our number 3, 4 and 5 running backs would start at almost any other school and all run sub 4.6 times. I did not mention our #2 Back because he is out and we are not sure for how long but he is another "OMG" in speed, strength and power.
Mt Airy may not win another game this year, but believe me that I have not seen another 1A or 2A or 3A team, top to bottom, like Mt Airy. East Surry with Jefferson Boaz and that Championship team would be comparable but their strength came from passing.

The closest that I have seen might be the 1967 Statesville team with Eddie Gamble and Lynn Davenport in the backfield.

Tyler is a player that you really musty see to realize he is just a cut above. But he is not the only Rb at Mt Airy. Our number 3, 4 and 5 running backs would start at almost any other school and all run sub 4.6 times. I did not mention our #2 Back because he is out and we are not sure for how long but he is another "OMG" in speed, strength and power.
Mt Airy may not win another game this year, but believe me that I have not seen another 1A or 2A or 3A team, top to bottom, like Mt Airy. East Surry with Jefferson Boaz and that Championship team would be comparable but their strength came from passing.

The closest that I have seen might be the 1967 Statesville team with Eddie Gamble and Lynn Davenport in the backfield.
The 2011 Tarboro State Championship team was like that as well. Todd Gurley, Ricky Dozier, Quinton Roberson, and Larry Jones. Gurley went on to play at Georgia and Roberson could've played at a power 5 school as well, he was that good. Ricky Dozier was a fullback that ran a 4.5. 3 of those guys in the backfield at one time is crazy.

Mt Airy may not win another game this year, but believe me that I have not seen another 1A or 2A or 3A team, top to bottom, like Mount Airy
You need to watch more 3A football then. As 2A goes Mount Airy and Clinton would be a very interesting matchup, would pay to see that one.

As for the subject of the thread, Tyler Mason is a very special talent and seems like a really nice young man on top of that.

Last edited:
You need to watch more 3A football then. As 2A goes Mount Airy and Clinton would be a very interesting matchup, would pay to see that one.

As for as the subject of the thread, Tyler Mason is a very special talent and seems like a really nice young man on top of that.
Just a follow up and it is a general comment not beating our chest. Most 3a and even 4a schools have way more kids dress out than we do. And most of them don’t play both ways. But as far as the 11 on the field our overall team speed both offensively and defensively can match or beat anyone. I have never seen this before in a mount airy team. We have had one or two very fast guys but our overall speed in all 11 is unreal. Defensively side line to side line we are very fast. Now that may not mean we win another game but it is fun to watch. Tyler Mason is a smart and very fast guy but as I said before he is probably the third fastest on the team. Wow.

• Haha
Reactions: therealsquid

As for as the subject of the thread, Tyler Mason is a very special talent and seems like a really nice young man on top of that.
I think y’all broke South Pittsburg last year. I like to see this years South Pittsburg team play Mount Airy. They went out and got some 3 stars and have been rolling teams this year. It would be a great game to watch. Collins transferred from Georgia. Wallace transferred from a private school in Chattanooga.

Last edited:
If my numbers are correct, Tyler's last 20 carries, across last 3 regular season and 1st playoff game, resulted in 15 touchdowns.
No body on here from Mt Airy is saying this is "the only place" greater players or teams comes from or even that we are the greatest every or even that the Bears will win another game this year.

What we are saying, I believe, is this group of young men, from this small town is very special and unique in both speed, size, strength, talent and single minded focus to accomplish the goa.

Plus, I for one, am so thankful that we have a coaching staff to match and lead this group.

Certainly there are other places and staffs such as Tarboro, Eastern Randolph, Mitchell, Shelby, Reidsville, Kings Mountain, etc. that are just so outstanding and have been for years.

It really makes high school football fun.

If my numbers are correct, Tyler's last 20 carries, across last 3 regular season and 1st playoff game, resulted in 15 touchdowns.
No body on here from Mt Airy is saying this is "the only place" greater players or teams comes from or even that we are the greatest every or even that the Bears will win another game this year.

What we are saying, I believe, is this group of young men, from this small town is very special and unique in both speed, size, strength, talent and single minded focus to accomplish the goa.

Plus, I for one, am so thankful that we have a coaching staff to match and lead this group.

Certainly there are other places and staffs such as Tarboro, Eastern Randolph, Mitchell, Shelby, Reidsville, Kings Mountain, etc. that are just so outstanding and have been for years.

It really makes high school football fun.
You guys definitely have a great team. Is Mason still hearing from other schools to get him to visit before he signs with VT. You get unlimited official visits now has Mason used any at other schools

As for the subject of the thread, Tyler Mason is a very special talent and seems like a really nice young man on top of that.
No disrespect because Mt Airy is a VERY GOOD football team, but Clinton would destroy them. Clinton would destroy almost anyone this year. They haven't played a game within 35 points, and they've beat some really good teams, really bad. Mt Airy could beat probably 90% of 2A this year no doubt in my mind but Clinton is just different man.

No disrespect because Mt Airy is a VERY GOOD football team, but Clinton would destroy them. Clinton would destroy almost anyone this year. They haven't played a game within 35 points, and they've beat some really good teams, really bad. Mt Airy could beat probably 90% of 2A this year no doubt in my mind but Clinton is just different man.
I think Mount Airy would give Clinton a better game than anyone else Clinton has played so far this season. Princeton was Clinton's closest game (a 26 point win) and I definitely think MA could play Clinton closer than Princeton. But yes my money would be on Clinton in a hypothetical matchup with Mount Airy.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan
I think Mount Airy would give Clinton a better game than anyone else Clinton has played so far this season, but yes my money would be on Clinton in that one.
I almost agree with you, but Wallace Rose Hill is very good every year, and Clinton made them look pitiful. I'd say I'd like to see a Mt Airy and Wallace Rose Hill matchup.

Reactions: sbbbfan and mbdfan
As a football fan would have really enjoyed seeing Mt Airy play an elite school from a larger classification or the private schools or a solid 4A team (West Forsyth or Reagan). I know they only have one game to work with but Ashe County is not a game that offers much. Winning state titles is the main focus so cannot fault the coach/AD for it.

I think Mount Airy would give Clinton a better game than anyone else Clinton has played so far this season. Princeton was Clinton's closest game (a 26 point win) and I definitely think MA could play Clinton closer than Princeton. But yes my money would be on Clinton in a hypothetical matchup with Mount Airy.
Computer on Massey ratings predicts a MA win over Clinton.

With the line players he has had blocking for him and the other dangerous threats on the team, just image if he had 20 to 25 carries per game. But in Mt Airy, team comes first and he bought into that 100%.

Two weeks ago at Allegheny, Martin took the handoff and came around the right side. A Trojan had him dead to rights until Mason took him out allowing Martin to do the rest for a touchdown. Want to guest who was the first to reach Martin for a high five? Mason.

I appreciate the MA coach not running Mason more than he has. It keeps him fresh and gets other players involved plus Mason plays defense also.
May have something to do with his commitment to VT already. May be trying to avoid injury at all cost. Great player though, he can do about whatever he wants when the football is in his hands.

Reactions: Bearmod1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT