ADVERTISEMENT

Maroon Devils visit the Black Knights

KnightyKnight63

Oct 22, 2018
Didn't see last night's game at Swain where Murphy pulled out a win, but was just looking at Swain's stats on Maxpreps. Of the 63 tackles that Swain made, 57 were made by Seniors. Also saw that their top rusher was held to 66 yards, with 26 of those coming on one rush. To the best of my recollection, this was the senior class at Swain that went undefeated as a 9th grade JV team. If they can't pull off an upset Friday in Robbinsville, will this be the most disappointing class to come through the halls of Swain County ever, considering their potential three years ago? In my opinion, yes. Have we seen the last of a dominating Maroon Machine for a while considering they are senior dominated? In my opinion, yes. Next year they will probably be underdogs against Andrews and Hayesville.

I am going to disagree with all of this . Imo Swain isn't an underdog Friday night they are an equal and if you take them lightly you will be defeated .

As far as their star running back he is dangerous and can take it to the house at any given time in space. Last night they faced the best defense they will see in conference. Much like last year in the playoffs your running backs didnt put up those 200 yard games against that defense.

No way they lose to Andrew's and Hayesville next year. Swain will always be Swain.

Dont disrespect a big physical team that doesnt make alot of mistakes .Dont give them more motivation coming into Friday because they are a much improved football team from last year .

Goodluck to both teams friday night .

Reactions: therealsquid
We can pass on murphy.
Thats going help our running game.

Swain will be tough. I'm going with home field and the Gambler

Reactions: Mhsneer
One big lineman like Murphy has can change a game. Their strength is up front as always. I think these games and teams are best in little 1a this year. Likely home field advantage at stake for a state title. Good luck

I hope both teams the best of luck ! IMO Swain had not seen defense like they saw last night . Robbinsville has a good defense too I don’t think it can dominate a game like Murphy but I haven’t watched them play except on film. On film Swain looks better but all that doesn’t really matter it all comes down to what team wants it more and who doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. Like I said hope the best for both teams!

I am going to disagree with all of this . Imo Swain isn't an underdog Friday night they are an equal and if you take them lightly you will be defeated .

As far as their star running back he is dangerous and can take it to the house at any given time in space. Last night they faced the best defense they will see in conference. Much like last year in the playoffs your running backs didnt put up those 200 yard games against that defense.

No way they lose to Andrew's and Hayesville next year. Swain will always be Swain.

Dont disrespect a big physical team that doesnt make alot of mistakes .Dont give them more motivation coming into Friday because they are a much improved football team from last year .

You might want to take a lesson of your advice and not overlook teams like Hayesville and Andrews next year. I'm still surprised Swain lost to Murphy. Murphy is a good football team but I felt like Swain is the better team. Wasn't there, don't know if they were outcoached, outplayed, or what. To Knightyknight's point, loaded with seniors if Swain don't get it done this year it probably ain't gonna get done for awhile - while Murphy, Robbinsville, and yes even lowly Hayesville and Andrews are young teams and will only get better. Sure, Swain will always be Swain but they might be the 7-6/8-5/6-7 Swain they've been for several years now...

I dont disagree with anything you said. I just thought it was very unwise to throw insults at an opponent the week before they play. It hasn't worked out too well in the past.

I dont have a dog in this fight I wish both of them good luck and hope that they both come out injury free.

Robbinsville will need to score 30 ish on offense to win and a few turnovers in our favor would be nice. On defense we’ll need to be very very disciplined, Murphy didn’t cover the pitch a few times and it almost cost them. My Knights will need to play mistake free football pair that with a little luck and we could get the W. Hopefully both squads avoid injury’s and can play 100% for the rest of the season. Go Knights

Reactions: CherokeeKid
I dont disagree with anything you said. I just thought it was very unwise to throw insults at an opponent the week before they play. It hasn't worked out too well in the past.

I dont have a dog in this fight I wish both of them good luck and hope that they both come out injury free.
There are dumb fans on here from every town, that talk trash and insult rival schools. I'm sure any team worth its salt doesn't need any motivation from some cafe coach on a message board trying to stir the pot. I've read comments from fans from Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy, that were classless and arrogant.

There are dumb fans on here from every town, that talk trash and insult rival schools. I'm sure any team worth its salt doesn't need any motivation from some cafe coach on a message board trying to stir the pot. I've read comments from fans from Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy, that were classless and arrogant.
Oh dear Lord! Why don't you go hang out on CNN.com so you can read things that don't hurt your itty bitty little feelings? I re-read my post and I don't see anything in it that was disrespectful to anyone. The statistics in it were factual and didn't mention any kids by name. If Swain fans are honest, they'll agree that they have expected a lot more out of this group than has played out on the field. Whose fault is it? I don't know. Someone closer to the program could better judge whether it is the athletes or the coaching staff. In my opinion, a lot of is the fact that the Knights and Murphy have been way up the last few seasons. Dee and Coach Gentry are no doubt the two best coaches in the conference, they always have their teams ready to play. I'll take my Knights by 14 this Friday. 35-21.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Actually, I prefer the way Swain’s offense is being ran now under the new OC. That’s the main reason I see a light at the end of the tunnel!
I agree with that. I've sang Scottie McMahan's praises since BEFORE he was hired. With a year under his leadership and most all of your skill players back next year, you'll still have a formidable team.

Swain will be ready!

Saying this class is the most disappointing Swain group to walk the halls is something your going to have to eat after the game Friday night.
Are you predicting a W at the BIG OAKS Friday night? If so.... just saying it might be something you have to eat. Seems like you have gotten pretty good at eating your words the past few years...

Reactions: KnightyKnight63
Also saw that their top rusher was held to 66 yards, with 26 of those coming on one rush..
That was a game high 66 yards. More yards than any other back in this game. Thats what happens when there are two championship caliber defenses in a game. IMO we certainly left some points on the field Friday. We should have capitalized on four forced murphy turnovers. I feel if we would have spread them out more we could have had more success. The plays most successful this year were not used. Not sure why but maybe that was the strategy going into the Murphy game.

Last edited:
Are you predicting a W at the BIG OAKS Friday night? If so.... just saying it might be something you have to eat. Seems like you have gotten pretty good at eating your words the past few years...

Im saying our Swain boys are going to be ready for this game! That first post has been circulated around social media and messaged out to all the players. Seems like someone from Robbinsville has already stirred it up!

Im saying our Swain boys are going to be ready for this game! That first post has been circulated around social media and messaged out to all the players. Seems like someone from Robbinsville has already stirred it up!
Should some fan from robbinsville message your tripe and bragging to their players? No real competitor needs message board banter for motivation...its built in to a winner!

We expect Swain to be ready to play. They shouldn’t have to have message board material to be ready to play

So which fans are guilty of saying something on here that is considered bulletin board material?
I would say referring to Swains senior class as the most disappointing to walk the halls of the school is bulletin board material. If I were a senior at Swain it would piss me off if some keyboard warrior made that statement. All I am saying is it's stupid to give our opponents anything extra.

Last edited:
I would say referring to Swains senior class as the most disappointing to walk the halls of the school is bulletin board material. If I were a senior at Swain it would piss me off if some keyboard warrior made that statement. All I am saying is it's stupid to give our opponents anything extra. K Odom's sr class, now there is a disappointing class. Tons of talent and no rings. Won a lot of games but few that really mattered.

Agree that was a completely stupid statement about Swains senior's...but there are some others on here that act like they are clueless about sportsmanship from several different towns. Silly stuff.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Agree that was a completely stupid statement about Swains senior's...but there are some others on here that act like they are clueless about sportsmanship from several different towns. Silly stuff.
And most of the ones talking BS were probably bench warmers at best. They know and we know which ones never participated in the battle unless their team was up by 40. True warriors of the game don’t get on here and spew crap about the opposition

Reactions: Untothesehills
Swain has fumbled 9 times 6 lost.
And 3 ints

Robbinsville had 3 fumbles/3 lost early in the season.
None after that and zero ints.

That was a game high 66 yards. More yards than any other back in this game. Thats what happens when there are two championship caliber defenses in a game. IMO we certainly left some points on the field Friday. We should have capitalized on five forced murphy turnovers. I feel if we would have spread them out more we could have had more success. The plays most successful this year were not used. Not sure why but maybe that was the strategy going into the Murphy game.
5? 2 interceptions, one which led to your 2nd TD. A fumble at the 10, which cost us a TD. Fill me in on the other two turnovers.

Murphy dominated the 1st half. Three trips into the red zone, one TD, one TD negated by a ghost holding penalty, and the fumble at the 10 costing the other. I would give Swain the over all advantage in the 2nd half, but the Dogs came up big under pressure; down a TD with 5 to go looking at a long field. Overall the game was as even as the score. Don't act like you GAVE ONE AWAY. A road win by one of the Big 3 against one of the Big 3 should always be credited to the winner. That is a real accomplishment. Same for Swain this week ... if they win at Robbinsville, they should get the credit. If Robbinsville wins at Murphy, credit to the Black Knights.

5? 2 interceptions, one which led to your 2nd TD. A fumble at the 10, which cost us a TD. Fill me in on the other two turnovers.

Murphy dominated the 1st half. Three trips into the red zone, one TD, one TD negated by a ghost holding penalty, and the fumble at the 10 costing the other. I would give Swain the over all advantage in the 2nd half, but the Dogs came up big under pressure; down a TD with 5 to go looking at a long field. Overall the game was as even as the score. Don't act like you GAVE ONE AWAY. A road win by one of the Big 3 against one of the Big 3 should always be credited to the winner. That is a real accomplishment. Same for Swain this week ... if they win at Robbinsville, they should get the credit. If Robbinsville wins at Murphy, credit to the Black Knights.
I was there at the game GG and I agree 100% with everything you have said. It was a good game and Swain didn’t hand the game to Murphy. Murphy came up big when they needed to and that’s all there is to it. I felt like swain should have tried getting a few yards at the end to at least try and attempt a FG instead of chunking it for 4 plays in a row. I mean if you are not taking a shot at the end zone on the final play what’s the use?

Reactions: GreyGod623
That was a game high 66 yards. More yards than any other back in this game. Thats what happens when there are two championship caliber defenses in a game. IMO we certainly left some points on the field Friday. We should have capitalized on four forced murphy turnovers. I feel if we would have spread them out more we could have had more success. The plays most successful this year were not used. Not sure why but maybe that was the strategy going into the Murphy game.
As far as that then, you talkn bout points left on field, i can say then Murphy left plenty of point on field, should of been 21-0 at half, so you say what you want

Reactions: Gps62
I was there at the game GG and I agree 100% with everything you have said. It was a good game and Swain didn’t hand the game to Murphy. Murphy came up big when they needed to and that’s all there is to it. I felt like swain should have tried getting a few yards at the end to at least try and attempt a FG instead of chunking it for 4 plays in a row. I mean if you are not taking a shot at the end zone on the final play what’s the use?

You didn't go to Cherokee? I went watched Anderson pass McCracken and Brett. He could pass Wood from Cherokee friday.

Congrats to Murphy on a hard fought win. As far as the "ghost" holding call on Murphy's TD, I had a a pretty good view and saw your wide receiver holding Swain's Safety #33. It was a tough play because the running back bounced it outside and you could see #33 fighting to keep outside containment and was very clearly held.

Last edited:
You didn't go to Cherokee? I went watched Anderson pass McCracken and Brett. He could pass Wood from Cherokee friday.

I love my Knights but I also love watching good high school football. No disrespect to Cherokee but why go waist my money on a game that was over after the first quarter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT