ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is Back Part 2

The one and done and most likely the eventual move to more players skipping college is going to take the college basketball down further. Football is now generating the money from the non donor sources much more than basketball. We will see.

The one and done and most likely the eventual move to more players skipping college is going to take the college basketball down further. Football is now generating the money from the non donor sources much more than basketball. We will see.
I think the new non donor, NIL rules are keeping kids in school longer these days. Ironically it affects high school athletes looking for scholarships as coaches want experience. NCAA needs to expand scholarship numbers per team to help kids coming out of high school

Reactions: beamer24
I think the new non donor, NIL rules are keeping kids in school longer these days. Ironically it affects high school athletes looking for scholarships as coaches want experience. NCAA needs to expand scholarship numbers per team to help kids coming out of high school
I was referencing basketball players. The elites want to get in the NBA due to the friendly, high dollar contracts. Football players seem to stay longer. COVID year and the portal caused huge logistical issues for high schoolers.

Can make the money argument all you want. Carolina is all about basketball and their alums/fans will continue to focus on that sport. Given the gut punches I’ve seen their football program take over the years, I don’t blame them.

Can make the money argument all you want. Carolina is all about basketball and their alums/fans will continue to focus on that sport. Given the gut punches I’ve seen their football program take over the years, I don’t blame them.
I totally agree with the gut punches.

Which is why I respect the heck out of legit UNC football fans.
I remember walking out of the fieldhouse (The Alamo) after losing bad to South Carolina in 1981. 6-0 ranked third nationally and beat down by a team that would lose to Pacific (CA) two weeks later. (Same Saturday a bad call in the Clemson game led to a 10-8 loss. ) An old timer told me, "that's the way we do it." Some things never change.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 LOCK IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!
WOLFPACK!!!!

I remember when Mack's first DC Jay Bateman was going around NC high schools running his mouth that they were going to get Doeren fired (not exaggerating, exact words). But now it's been the same thing for the last 3 years. UNC comes in with all the "recruiting wins", hyped to be "CFP darkhorse", wearing the flashy Jordans... yet they continue to roll out the same soft players that break when a tough team hits them in the mouth. Hope Mack never retires

I remember when Mack's first DC Jay Bateman was going around NC high schools running his mouth that they were going to get Doeren fired (not exaggerating, exact words). But now it's been the same thing for the last 3 years. UNC comes in with all the "recruiting wins", hyped to be "CFP darkhorse", wearing the flashy Jordans... yet they continue to roll out the same soft players that break when a tough team hits them in the mouth. Hope Mack never retires
What are your thoughts on DD? Seemed a lot of State fans wanted him gone after the Duke debacle. How are they feeling about him now?

What are your thoughts on DD? Seemed a lot of State fans wanted him gone after the Duke debacle. How are they feeling about him now?
I think not having the truly great "breakout" 10-2/11-1 type of season on his resume (yet anyways) has probably been the one thing that makes fans frustrated (although I think State would've beaten UCLA had that bowl not gotten canceled). I think those type of grumblings are also probably expected for a coach that's been in the same job for as long as he has because many fans just want to be "right" instead of him winning and proving them wrong. That being said, he's raised the floor for State football, pushed for most of our major facility improvements, done a much better job than his predecessor at recruiting the state, and managed to make winning 8-9 games something that's almost expected, which is better than almost any State coach in my lifetime.

Last edited:
I think not having the truly great "breakout" 10-2/11-1 type of season on his resume (yet anyways) has probably been the one thing that makes fans frustrated (although I think State would've beaten UCLA had that bowl not gotten canceled). I think those type of grumblings are also probably expected for a coach that's been in the same job for as long as he has because many fans just want to be "right" instead of him winning and proving them wrong. That being said, he's raised the floor for State football, pushed for most of our major facility improvements, done a much better job than his predecessor at recruiting the state, and managed to make winning 8-9 games something that's almost expected, which is better than almost any State coach in my lifetime.
People have said we need to take that next step. Well that next step is winning 10-11 or more games. That is really difficult to do. Take a really good look at the teams that win 10 games a year. State has been handcuffed in the UNC system and there only so much they can do in that. UNC has the journalism school and that is a huge weapon that is used against us. Each year they are preseason favorites and get a nice preseason ranking that the faithful thinks is justifiable and then when the collapse comes they can’t understand it. But each year it gives them a recruiting bump. One of these days they are going to get lucky and actually hire a real coach. I hope I’m dead and gone before that happens. Hopefully FSU and Clemson can break the stranglehold on getting out of the ACC. Hopefully State can then get out.

Reactions: mtnpack
People have said we need to take that next step. Well that next step is winning 10-11 or more games. That is really difficult to do. Take a really good look at the teams that win 10 games a year. State has been handcuffed in the UNC system and there only so much they can do in that. UNC has the journalism school and that is a huge weapon that is used against us. Each year they are preseason favorites and get a nice preseason ranking that the faithful thinks is justifiable and then when the collapse comes they can’t understand it. But each year it gives them a recruiting bump. One of these days they are going to get lucky and actually hire a real coach. I hope I’m dead and gone before that happens. Hopefully FSU and Clemson can break the stranglehold on getting out of the ACC. Hopefully State can then get out.
Definitely agree. NC State becoming like an Oklahoma State/Iowa level of program in terms of results (I.e. win 8-9, occasionally threaten for a BCS bowl, stay ranked around the 15-25 range) is a huge first step and maintaining it is even trickier. Feel like he does a great job considering the history of State football and seems like he maxes out what he has more often than not

Definitely agree. NC State becoming like an Oklahoma State/Iowa level of program in terms of results (I.e. win 8-9, occasionally threaten for a BCS bowl, stay ranked around the 15-25 range) is a huge first step and maintaining it is even trickier. Feel like he does a great job considering the history of State football and seems like he maxes out what he has more often than not
I agree as well. I would like to see the Wolfpack strengthen up there early season nonconference schedule. This year I would have liked to have seen one of UConn, VMI or possibly even Marshall with a stronger opponent.

I agree as well. I would like to see the Wolfpack strengthen up there early season nonconference schedule. This year I would have liked to have seen one of UConn, VMI or possibly even Marshall with a stronger opponent.
2nd game of the year Tennessee in Charlotte. Be the 1st big game for Nico Iamaleava for TN

Well I don’t fault State for mixing in UConn. VMI and Marshall. You already have ND, Louisville, Clemson, VT on the schedule.

I was surprised he didn’t go to TE from the get go. I don’t think these kids in high school realize how many QBs are across the country that are just as good as they are.
Most all the young guys in high school that play sports all think they are going to be a pro. If they only knew what those odds are. My wife when she was teaching school would try to show them but they didn’t want to hear it. How many colleges in this country have football? There’s not very many openings for qb’s when you get right down to it. Or any other position.

Most all the young guys in high school that play sports all think they are going to be a pro. If they only knew what those odds are. My wife when she was teaching school would try to show them but they didn’t want to hear it. How many colleges in this country have football? There’s not very many openings for qb’s when you get right down to it. Or any other position.
My son plays D3 football he is 6’2 280lbs and has short arms. I told him you may be just a scout team player. If you are that’s your job then. He has been lucky enough to start some games and he is in the 2 deep on the OL. Couldn’t be more proud of him for accomplishing that.

My son plays D3 football he is 6’2 280lbs and has short arms. I told him you may be just a scout team player. If you are that’s your job then. He has been lucky enough to start some games and he is in the 2 deep on the OL. Couldn’t be more proud of him for accomplishing that.
I have two daughters. My youngest now 23 played volleyball starting out in rec and all the way through high school. She camped at State and got to play volleyball there in camps and had a great time. I enjoyed going to her games and supporting her. She did the travel ball thing to for about 4 years. We got good at that. When I was in high school and wrestled and played football I have no memory of my parents going. So it was important to me that she knew we were there for her.

Reactions: OptionFreak
State - Carolina has produced some memorable moments over the years. This will be another. Enjoy but while I’m posting in this thread let me say as a diehard wolfpacker and firm support of Dave Doeren I do not share his views or beliefs calling Carolina players a piece of sh$t. It’s wrong wrong wrong on so many levels and I’m sad so few fellow wolfpackers are not speaking out on it. It’s a rivalry and I’ll give you heck. If you are cheating I’ll say it. But what he did was wrong I don’t care if he thought it was a private moment with the team or not.

Kinda meh on it. Yea, his stats are good but he is stuck in quicksand in the pocket where the last 5 years they've drawn up hundreds of QB runs for Sam and Drake. UNC is needing to replace 3 starters on the OL and you'll have a QB that doesn't escape the pocket. Feel like they rushed it with Max but maybe they're trying to show their current guys they have a guy to keep them from leaving while also showing guys in the portal they have a plan to get some new guys. They'll need to upgrade at OL/DL/DB if they want to continue being mediocre to avoid going back to 2017/2018.

Kinda meh on it. Yea, his stats are good but he is stuck in quicksand in the pocket where the last 5 years they've drawn up hundreds of QB runs for Sam and Drake. UNC is needing to replace 3 starters on the OL and you'll have a QB that doesn't escape the pocket. Feel like they rushed it with Max but maybe they're trying to show their current guys they have a guy to keep them from leaving while also showing guys in the portal they have a plan to get some new guys. They'll need to upgrade at OL/DL/DB if they want to continue being mediocre to avoid going back to 2017/2018.
Wonder if his brother will come to that’s a pretty good TE

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
He’s a JAG. (Just another guy) I think Harrell will replace him at some point next year.

Reactions: Champ_24
Is the brother coming since he planing to portal now

Best of luck to Drake Maye as he enters the NFL Draft. I do wish he could stayed another year.
Pa I cant wait for the moment. Recon the fella will go to them Panthers?lol. I likes my Dolphins but i'll root for two teams. Actually 3. Ive been looking for some Zamir White action. Think the fella is hurt.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT