ADVERTISEMENT

MAC picks......

BD Warrior

Sep 20, 2006
Erwin at Enka
North Buncombe at McDowell
Asheville at Reynolds

Erwin 62 Enka 21....I remember last year when Reynolds started their season playing a schedule similar to what Erwin has this year. When they got to the MAC's bottom teams they punished them. I look for Erwin to do the same and take out some serious frustration.

NB 35 McDowell 28..The Hawks showed some life last week but it was vs hapless Enka. I think they will have enough to beat the Titans.

Reynolds 35 Asheville 28....biggest game of this year in the mountains. I have not seen Asheville play but they seem to be pretty darn good. As for Reynolds I know they are for real. You want to beat the Rockets, it's simple. Stop Rico...lol..Good luck.

Last edited:
Erwin/Enka- Erwin dominates from the opening kickoff and hangs however many points Sexton lets them on the boys from Candler. Erwin 55 Enka 14.

North Buncombe/McDowell- McDowell bounces back against North Buncombe and gets a conference win. Call it an upset if you must. McDowell 28-24.

Asheville/Reynolds- THE game of the week. So much rides on this game for ACR. A season is defined in the second week of conference play. A possible 1-seed in the playoffs, a shot to win the conference championship. Emotions will be running high in this one. Hope there is a big crowd for these kids to play in front of. Both teams know what the other is going to do. Asheville is going to pound you between the tackles and lull you to sleep until Danny Wilkins decides to throw one of his many trick plays at you. For ACR it's very simple, Rico Dowdle. But can you stop him? Probably not. ACR wins a tight one and sets themselves up for a championship run barring a meltdown. 31-21.

Is it Friday yet?

Erwin at Enka - I don't care.

North Buncombe at McDowell - I don't care.

Asheville at Reynolds - Asheville by 1 because I believe we can shut Rico down. Asheville by 1 because I'm a Cougar fan and always have been. Asheville by 1 because we will control the clock. Asheville by 1 because we're playing on Reynolds field which is always good for us. Asheville by 1 because our kicking game sucks and we can't kick field goals which means we can't win by 3. Asheville by 1 because even though we're undefeated we are still slipping in the state polls and it pisses us off. Asheville by 1 because we are by God Asheville! I'll be friendly to everyone next week but this week is all out war. Good luck to Reynolds....much respect from me, but hell hath no fury like what ya'll are about to experience this week.

Our kicking game is an embarassment. I don't see why we don't just go for 2 everytime. We have a 50/50 chance of getting 2 points and we have a 50/50 chance of making a PAT

Erwin at Enka: Terrible game, Erwin will do what Reynolds did last year and score 95 points a game against the worst teams in the MAC from here on out. Erwin 76-0

North Buncombe at McDowell: Might be a good game, unfortunately it doesn't mean a damn thing. McDowell 21-20.

Asheville at Reynolds: Rico Dowdle is more than half the Reynolds offense. Asheville wont stop him, nobody will stop him, but if we contain him that severely hampers Reynolds offense. They depend on him to get 200+ yards a game and if there was ever a game they are going to put the ball in his hands maybe even more than usual, its this one. It sounds odd to say, but if Asheville holds him to under 200 yards rushing, Reynolds could be in trouble because they rely on him so much. Reynolds offense is geared around getting Rico rushed and creating lanes that he can take off on. Playing Carver last week was a GREAT help to Asheville because of their team speed. I actually think Asheville may have been caught off guard a little by Carver's speed because we hadn't seen it in Franklin Pisgah and Newton Conover. If I had to choose one other thing that concerns me other than Dowdle, its the Reynolds defense. It seems like for whatever reason, maybe familiarity, that Reynolds knows our plays. There have been multiple Reynolds games where we will get in a formation and you can literally hear the Reynolds sideline screaming the play we are going to run before the ball is snapped. Reynolds has played a very tough schedule so far, but their defense has given up a ton of points.

The Asheville offense averages 31.2 ppg
The Asheville defense gives up 13.6 ppg

The Reynolds offense averages 42.6 ppg
The Reynolds defense gives up 26.7 ppg.

So thus far through 5 games Asheville beats their opponents by an average of 17.6 points and through 6 games Reynolds beats their opponents by an average of 15.9 points per game.

Obviously Reynolds has lost a game and won one on a field goal with nearly no time left.
Asheville is undefeated and hasn't played a cupcake schedule, but it hasn't been against as tough of competition as what Reynolds has played.

The bottom line is Asheville's defense is more than capable of causing big problems for Rico Dowdle and company. A year ago, Reynolds didn't get into the endzone until the 4th quarter when it was already 27-0. The Asheville defense responsibility will have to be, "If they run an option, make Rico pitch it, if they drop back to pass, make him pass it, not take off and run". The Asheville defense is bigger than the Erwin defense last week and based on the highlights I saw, that really hurt Erwin trying to bring Dowdle down. I look for Jose Daniels, a 3 year starter at 200 pounds to have a big game as well as all state linebacker Christian green. Also, if I were a coach, which Im not, I would let Makauis Brewer spy Dowdle. He is a hell of an athlete and big enough to bring anybody down alone.

I think Reynolds has the best player on the field, I think Asheville has the better team. Get Rico on the ground and you win. Easier said than done. Ive been waiting to be impressed by our great roster. Maybe this will be the week we start seeing our potential.

1412445634012-AVLReyFootball-012JPG.jpg

Reactions: CougarsOfAHS
Erwin at Enka: Terrible game, Erwin will do what Reynolds did last year and score 95 points a game against the worst teams in the MAC from here on out. Erwin 76-0

North Buncombe at McDowell: Might be a good game, unfortunately it doesn't mean a damn thing. McDowell 21-20.

Asheville at Reynolds: Rico Dowdle is more than half the Reynolds offense. Asheville wont stop him, nobody will stop him, but if we contain him that severely hampers Reynolds offense. They depend on him to get 200+ yards a game and if there was ever a game they are going to put the ball in his hands maybe even more than usual, its this one. It sounds odd to say, but if Asheville holds him to under 200 yards rushing, Reynolds could be in trouble because they rely on him so much. Reynolds offense is geared around getting Rico rushed and creating lanes that he can take off on. Playing Carver last week was a GREAT help to Asheville because of their team speed. I actually think Asheville may have been caught off guard a little by Carver's speed because we hadn't seen it in Franklin Pisgah and Newton Conover. If I had to choose one other thing that concerns me other than Dowdle, its the Reynolds defense. It seems like for whatever reason, maybe familiarity, that Reynolds knows our plays. There have been multiple Reynolds games where we will get in a formation and you can literally hear the Reynolds sideline screaming the play we are going to run before the ball is snapped. Reynolds has played a very tough schedule so far, but their defense has given up a ton of points.

The Asheville offense averages 31.2 ppg
The Asheville defense gives up 13.6 ppg

The Reynolds offense averages 42.6 ppg
The Reynolds defense gives up 26.7 ppg.

So thus far through 5 games Asheville beats their opponents by an average of 17.6 points and through 6 games Reynolds beats their opponents by an average of 15.9 points per game.

Obviously Reynolds has lost a game and won one on a field goal with nearly no time left.
Asheville is undefeated and hasn't played a cupcake schedule, but it hasn't been against as tough of competition as what Reynolds has played.

The bottom line is Asheville's defense is more than capable of causing big problems for Rico Dowdle and company. A year ago, Reynolds didn't get into the endzone until the 4th quarter when it was already 27-0. The Asheville defense responsibility will have to be, "If they run an option, make Rico pitch it, if they drop back to pass, make him pass it, not take off and run". The Asheville defense is bigger than the Erwin defense last week and based on the highlights I saw, that really hurt Erwin trying to bring Dowdle down. I look for Jose Daniels, a 3 year starter at 200 pounds to have a big game as well as all state linebacker Christian green. Also, if I were a coach, which Im not, I would let Makauis Brewer spy Dowdle. He is a hell of an athlete and big enough to bring anybody down alone.

I think Reynolds has the best player on the field, I think Asheville has the better team. Get Rico on the ground and you win. Easier said than done. Ive been waiting to be impressed by our great roster. Maybe this will be the week we start seeing our potential.

1412445634012-AVLReyFootball-012JPG.jpg
Couldn't have said it better.

You beat Reynolds the same way you beat Erwin. Don't let their offense on the field. If you can hold them to only a few first downs in the game and sprinkle in some 3 & outs, that is the key.
On a side note, check out the Great American Rivalry story on the Citizen Times. Look at the caption under the picture. I wasn't aware that Reynolds beat us last year. lol
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...y-series-returns-asheville-reynolds/72982674/

Just hope we can keep it close.....
I know it Reynoldsrocks, what are Asheville fans thinking picking Asheville to win against your mighty rockets! We are all just stupid! I will apologize to you for any other Asheville fans that pick Asheville to win! When you go back and look the only people picking Asheville to win are Asheville fans! We should be the ones saying we hope we can just keep it close!

Reactions: AhsCougar1
Wow guys take things way too personal and way out of context. I was serious, if we can keep it close we will have a chance in the end since we have a good kicker and an offense that can move the ball with big plays. Wasn't trying to offend anyone, just relax, I expect Asheville to be a favorite, you are ranked 3rd in the AP polls.

Reactions: ai1015
Wow guys take things way too personal and way out of context. I was serious, if we can keep it close we will have a chance in the end since we have a good kicker and an offense that can move the ball with big plays. Wasn't trying to offend anyone, just relax, I expect Asheville to be a favorite, you are ranked 3rd in the AP polls.

Shut up or I'll kill your dog and beat you to death with it's carcass. I hate the color green. It makes me think of a sinus infection.....the kind that makes you pinch one nostril and blow snot out of the other side. The only bad thing about this coming Friday night is that after we destroy Reynolds there is nothing in Fairview worth burning and looting. Better hide your weakling children and lock up your ugly wives cause the Cougars are coming and hell is coming with us. Bwaahaaaa!

ps: Remember, the nice Cougar-90 will be back Saturday. :)

It seems like both teams want to be considered the underdog in this one. Asheville is ranked higher in most polls, but most people outside of Asheville High think that Reynolds is the better team and picking them to win.

lol.....somebody at the ACT must read these boards. Yesterday the story "Great American Rivalry Series" had a pic of AJ Logan being tackled by Battle with the caption "Reynolds beat Asheville High last year in the series" and today the same pic has a new caption stating "Reynolds' A.J. Logan and the Rockets are home for Friday's football game against Asheville High."

Until someone knocks off the defending champ, they are the favorite in my eyes. They've proven they deserve to be over the past 4 years against us so I'm showing them the respect they have earned!

There's no clear cut favorite in this one. Two very different styles of play, but still two heavy weights slugging it out for the top spot. Should be a helluva game. Both teams have the ability to make a good run in the playoffs. Could be a third or fourth round game in the playoffs if both stay hot.

Shut up or I'll kill your dog and beat you to death with it's carcass. I hate the color green. It makes me think of a sinus infection.....the kind that makes you pinch one nostril and blow snot out of the other side. The only bad thing about this coming Friday night is that after we destroy Reynolds there is nothing in Fairview worth burning and looting. Better hide your weakling children and lock up your ugly wives cause the Cougars are coming and hell is coming with us. Bwaahaaaa!

ps: Remember, the nice Cougar-90 will be back Saturday. :)

:D

I wonder if there will be any game postponement since the weather forecast is worse for this Friday than last. According to the news there is a chance for life threatening flooding for WNC beginning Friday thru Sunday.

I wonder if there will be any game postponement since the weather forecast is worse for this Friday than last. According to the news there is a chance for life threatening flooding for WNC beginning Friday thru Sunday.

They messed up canceling games last week. It barely rained Friday night. This week looks rough though. I wish they would cancel the Erwin game so I can check out the Asheville game.

As long as it is not a downpour Thursday night and all day Friday I bet they still have it.

They messed up canceling games last week. It barely rained Friday night. This week looks rough though. I wish they would cancel the Erwin game so I can check out the Asheville game.
Come on over to Reynolds BD, Erwin will blow enka out.

Come on over to Reynolds BD, Erwin will blow enka out.

This is the first time this year I will be able to go to a Erwin game and know we are going to win by a bunch. I had a hunch at the Heritage game but they are no pushover. Erwin needs this Enka game bad!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT