ADVERTISEMENT

MAC picks week 8......

BD Warrior

Sep 20, 2006
Well since the MAC title has already been decided barring a injury to Dowdle, we are all playing for 2nd place and playoff seeds now. Here are this weeks games. What you got?

Roberson at North Buncombe
Mcdowell at Erwin
Enka at Asheville

My picks..

Roberson 28 NB 24....Roberson seems to be playing a little more inspired these days and they have the athletes to play with most if they just gave a crap. NB has murderers row coming up in a few weeks so they better win now.

Erwin 45 Mcdowell 14...Erwin played the most pathetic I have seen them play in many years last week vs Enka. I have a friend that is a coach and he said it will not be a pretty week of practice. They cant expect to win by just walking out on the field. Mcdowell has a decent passing game and qb, but that seems to be about it.

Asheville 55 Enka 7....Asheville will rebound with a big win this week after their big loss to ACR. I have a feeling they show no mercy to Enka unless they decide to not show up like Erwin did..

NB 28 Roberson 27... Should be a good game. I give NB the edge in this one as they seem to be playing better now that they are healthy again.

Erwin 42 McDowell 20... Erwin plays better this week. McDowell gets a couple 4th quarter td's to make it look closer.

Asheville 49 Enka 7... Asheville comes out and plays solid and puts them away in the first half. Wilkins calls off the dogs in the third quarter. We have to take it week by week at this point and try to improve each game to get where we need to be in order to compete with Reynolds and Weddington. I believe we have the roster to compete with them, but there has to be some changes made and a fire lit on the defensive side. If we improve and get better as it goes as most Asheville teams do, then there's no reason why we can't win out the regular season and make a solid playoff run.

Roberson/North Buncombe- This game should be the best one of the week. Both teams seem to be playing better than what they were early in the year. The North Buncombe passing attack wins this one for them. NB 24-21.

Erwin/McDowell- Erwin shocked me with how bad they must've played at a very bad Enka last Friday. Sexton & Co. won't let that happen again. Dry weather makes for a long night for the Titans. Erwin 49-13.

Asheville/Enka- What a snoozer this one is going to be.... Reggie Battle has a field day for a half. Racks up close to 200 yards and 4 TDs. AHS 48-6

Erwin/McDowell- Erwin shocked me with how bad they must've played at a very bad Enka last Friday. Sexton & Co. won't let that happen again. Dry weather makes for a long night for the Titans. Erwin 49-13.

Shocked me too. It was pathetic.

North Buncombe by 7 21-14
Erwin by 40 45 - 3
Asheville by 21 42 - 21

Heard Enka had like 15 players walk out and quit a couple weeks ago and had to pull up most of the JV team. Got that from one of the players dad so it's pretty reliable. Either way, they have new helmets so they're good for 21 points.

North Buncombe by 7 21-14
Erwin by 40 45 - 3
Asheville by 21 42 - 21

Heard Enka had like 15 players walk out and quit a couple weeks ago and had to pull up most of the JV team. Got that from one of the players dad so it's pretty reliable. Either way, they have new helmets so they're good for 21 points.

Don't worry, Enka is really bad. Erwin just made them look much better then they really are..

Enka has the "quttingest" bunch I've ever heard of. Remember a few years ago they had a bunch quit. What is it with them? Why can't they quit by themselves instead of taking others with them?

Last edited:
Reactions: AHSDYNASY
TCR wins:
NB's WR Matthews is averaging 30 yards per catch, 8 TDs, and just had 2 pick 6s. He is their only chance to beat TCR. Meanwhile, the "All-State" WR averages 10 yards a catch and has 0 TDs.

Erwin wins
Asheville wins

Having gotten beat down last week, this isn't as fun predicting games. I am still in shock at how awful we looked last Friday. I think that Reynolds loss last week was the second worst loss in the Danny Wilkins era.

In my opinion, the worst loss in the Wilkins era was the 2012 loss to Enka. But at least that team just sucked and Enka had a really good runningback. Still no loss to Enka is ever acceptable under any circumstance and this was definitely the worst loss.
Last Friday against Reynolds was the second worst I have ever seen an Asheville team look. Absolutely an embarrassing display of football and overall competitiveness to see what I believe to be a talented roster completely lay down and take that beating.
The 3rd worst loss in the Wilkins era was the 2003 South Point game in the 4th round. We were undefeated and got taken to the woodshed at home in the snow by 47 points. That was another game where we quit in the 3rd quarter. At least we waited until the second half and that was one of the best teams 3A has ever seen in South Point. As for this week...

Roberson at North Buncombe- North Buncombe because I don't know
McDowell at Erwin- Erwin wins 49-14 because they will improve on last weeks performance that looked almost as bad as ours.

Enka at Asheville- I am going to be very curious to see how this team responds to that ass kicking on Friday. I still think we are a very TALENTED team, but that doesn't mean anything when you think all you have to do is show up and you will win. There are several seniors that need to look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if they want to go home in the 2nd round in their last year. Several of our fans have predicted the game this week saying "Asheville will blow Enka out in the first half and then put the backups in the second half". Based on what I saw last week, I strongly reject that strategy. Think about what Reynolds did last year when they played the cupcakes of the MAC. They scored 76 points on Enka, 72 on McDowell, 42 on TC Roberson and 62 points on North Buncombe. They averaged 63 points a game against the bottom dwellers. So basically they said, "we are going to do what we want and get some game practice in no matter how many points we score". And I remember everybody during that stretch was like "oh my god Reynolds is playing lights out, they are gonna make a deep run". We (Asheville) cant waste any game reps just getting up on a team in the first half and then not working on anything in the second half and letting our starters rest. You know why? First, we arent that good and secondly because we do the same thing in the playoffs. We get a lead and then try to just hang on and let the clock run out because for the previous 5 weeks that's what we practiced. Get up, take your foot off the break and don't work on anything. This game against Enka, we should run every single play in the playbook, so when we actually need to run it against playoff teams, it wont be the first time we have run it. I think we get Reggie 10-12 carries, Aquila 5-8 carries, get a 14 point lead and then run every single play we have and if we end up scoring 72 points then so be it, but we aren't good enough to decide we are going to rest our starters in the Enka, NB, Roberson and McDowell games. Our starters need to improve in all 4 quarters, not just 2 because the other team is inferior. Asheville 72-6.

Ahscougar, don't you forget the 61 points my Warriors dropped on you guys a few years ago.;)

We deserve to be on that list...lol

That was 2012 and that was the worst ashevile high team Danny Wilkins ever coached. Even Enka beat that team so to beat them was like beating a middle school team.

Bd you wanna hear another joke? Our defense this year.

And I think we blow so many leads ahsdynasy because we practice it during the season against the 5-6 teams on our schedule we typically blow out. Franklin this year, we let them hang around took our foot off the gas, pisgah we did the same thing, newton conover we did the same thing. Even the Erwin game last year we got up double digits and started coasting and it actually got somewhat interesting there late. The Reynolds game last year we got up 27-0 and won 27-13. In 2002 we were up 16-3 with 3 mins left in the 4th round to ashbrook and lost in OT. In 2004 we blow a 20 point lead in the 4th round with 5 mins to go against concord. In 2012 we got up 18 at Erwin in the first half and blew that lead too.
We basically practice our guys to play 2 and a half quarters and then coast during the regular season and not coincidentally we do it in the playoffs too. You can see a pattern.

No one runs the Prevent Offense better than Wilkins. Put 11 players in the box and he still won't throw the ball.

Last edited:
I saw Rico dowdle just went over 3,000 career rushing yards. Does anybody know if Reggie battle has that many? I think he has 3,000+ yards.

Just goes to show you how incredible Johnny white and Crezdon butler were to be teammates and both end up with 5,100+ yards being the same age splitting carries

I would say Rico will have over 5000 if he stays healthy and they last in the playoffs. It is not unheard of. Martese Jackson from Erwin had close to 3000 yds in one season

Those 2 were unstoppable
Agreed, so keep in mind that Rico has yet to play a full season in the backfield at ACR. Last year he missed 4 games, his Sophomore season he had only 67 carries and played mostly JV, so this will be his first full year in the varsity backfield if he remains healthy. He has had a lot less carries than White and Butler....but yes Butler and White were amazing in their own right.

Reactions: mbdfan
Rico's yards will depend on how long Coach Laws wants to leave him in in the closing weeks. He has missed close to a game and a half because of big blowout wins. Didn't play a majority of the second half against Owen and did not see the field against Hendersonville in the second half. No fourth quarter against Asheville and Watauga. It amazes me every week what this kid can do.

If Dowdle remains healthy he may get close to the 3000 yard mark for the season. Reggie has right around 3000 career yards. He had 700-800 his sophomore year after getting moved up to varsity in conference play, 1500 last year, and 800 so far this season. Crezdon and Johnny rarely played past the third quarter their junior and senior seasons. I doubt Dowdle sees the fourth quarter until maybe the second round of the playoffs.

The fact that both Johnny and Crezdon had over 5,000 yards as teammates is the crazy thing. To have 5,000 career yards being "the man" is incredibly impressive, but to be sharing the backfield for 2+ years with another runningback and you both do it is amazing. Keep in mind Crezdon and Johnny in 2003 played on a 13-0 team, in 2004 they played on a 12-2 team in 2005 they were 15-0, so think about how many games they didnt play in the second half or fourth quarters. If Wilkins wanted to get them over 6,500 yards each it would have been very easy. There were at least a dozen games where Asheville would be up 40 points and Johnny and Crezdon wouldn't even have their pads on coming out of halftime.
Rico dowdle is a hell of a talent, the best player I have seen in wnc since Johnny and Crezdon at a skill position. I think Rico will be right around 5,000 career rushing yards when he's done, but now imagine he had a guy in the backfield with him who also had 5,000+ yards. THAT'S unreal.

As incredible as Dowdle was last Friday night, and as much as he's been and being talked about all over NC, I have to be honest and say the most impressive thing about him to me is the interview he did right after the Asheville game. Everything was "yes sir", "no sir", "thank you sir". When you can combine God given talent with good coaching you have a spectacular athlete. When you add in a dose of good old fashion respect and decent upbringing you have the makings of a kid with a very bright future. He strikes me as a well rounded young man. Very humble.

Erwin 34, McDowell 23...

Great effort and game plan by the Titans tonight. Erwin's speed was the difference.

McDowell played great. Their offensive line dominated us all night and our defense couldn't get off the field. It look like a completely different offensive set compared to what they ran against NB. Ray was deadly accurate as well.

McDowell played great. Their offensive line dominated us all night and our defense couldn't get off the field. It look like a completely different offensive set compared to what they ran against NB. Ray was deadly accurate as well.

McDowell accumulated around 400 yards offense and I would say 25 or more first downs. The performance from Ray was very similar to that of the Tuscola game. That said the run game has evolved some for McDowell in the past couple weeks. They did well against NB earlier in the week in that facet as well.

When it came down to it, the speed of Erwin was overwheling. They got big plays, I think 3 of them for 50+ yards...it was the quick strike and athletes on their part that was enough to overcome great execution of a great gameplan.

Well since the MAC title has already been decided barring a injury to Dowdle, we are all playing for 2nd place and playoff seeds now. Here are this weeks games. What you got?

Roberson at North Buncombe
Mcdowell at Erwin
Enka at Asheville

My picks..

Roberson 28 NB 24....Roberson seems to be playing a little more inspired these days and they have the athletes to play with most if they just gave a crap. NB has murderers row coming up in a few weeks so they better win now.

Erwin 45 Mcdowell 14...Erwin played the most pathetic I have seen them play in many years last week vs Enka. I have a friend that is a coach and he said it will not be a pretty week of practice. They cant expect to win by just walking out on the field. Mcdowell has a decent passing game and qb, but that seems to be about it.

Asheville 55 Enka 7....Asheville will rebound with a big win this week after their big loss to ACR. I have a feeling they show no mercy to Enka unless they decide to not show up like Erwin did..
Nice picks this week BD, you was right on most games, even had the AHS score right on point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT