ADVERTISEMENT

LR Graduate & New England Patriot Kyle Dugger

FOXBORO, Mass. — Most defensive players would be thrilled to score one touchdown in an entire season. Kyle Dugger? He’s now scored two and had a hand in another in the last month alone.

The New England Patriots’ superb third-year safety delivered the most important play in Sunday’s 23-21 win over the Miami Dolphins, intercepting a third-quarter pass from Teddy Bridgewater and returning it 39 yards for a touchdown.

Two weeks earlier, Dugger undercut a Derek Carr throw for a pick-six against the Las Vegas Raiders. The week before that, he forced an Arizona Cardinals fumble that linebacker Raekwon McMillan returned for a touchdown.

Dugger also had a scoop-and-score during New England’s Week 5 win over the Detroit Lions. His three defensive touchdowns this season are the most by a Patriots defender since 1970.

“You don’t get a lot of Kyle Duggers in your locker room,” cornerback Jonathan Jones said after Sunday’s win. “He’s a special guy.”

Boasting a rare blend of size, athleticism, versatility and physicality, Dugger has shown enthralling potential ever since the Patriots selected him in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft. But his play over the last month has turned him into a full-blown superstar in the eyes of his Patriots teammates.

I know this is a high school site but everyone of us talks about our D1 players on our high school teams. And I keep saying that while most of these players are certainly very good, most are not D1 players. Wish they all were, but they are not for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps they have not physically matured yet, or they are fast for high school but not fast for college, or any of a thousand other reasons.

And I keep pounding out that most of these outstanding players might, just might ought to consider D2 Programs where their chances of getting to play is greater. Take Jefferson Boaz from East Surry a few years ago. May simple be the best high school QB I have ever seen play including Sam Howell. Yes he went to Carolina. Getting a very good education for free.

But,,, his playing time has been next to zero. At Appalachian, East Carolina, or Lenoir Rhyne I have no doubt he would have set ever passing record those school have and would be hiring an agent for the NFL draft.

Parents and supporters may like to see that announcement of "my son is going to", but what is next? As a parent of 2 former college athletes, I am mighty glad my sons went to excellent schools where they actually had a chance to participate and got the experiences of a lifetime along with a great education.

Looks like Parsons made a good decision to go to LR. He always seemed like division 1 athlete and he has the desire to be good.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Think he concentrated on basketball prior to LR.
My understanding is that he was 5'9" tall playing basketball with a size 11 shoe. He stole two different passes and went for dunks. Two LR recruiters talked with him after the game and made the football pitch to come to LR. He had played football and the reason the recruiters were at the basketball game to see him as an athlete. The size of his shoes, length of his arms and the height of his Mother, Father, brother and sister convinced the recruiters he would get another growth spurt. The rest is history.

I may have him confused with another player but I thought he was tall, like well over six feet, and skinny when he showed up at LR. Filled into the frame over the years. Impressive player.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT