ADVERTISEMENT

North Surry Punter All American D2 Wingate

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
National recognition continues to pour in for Ethan Evans.

Evans is a 2019 graduate of North Surry High School and a Dec. 2022 graduate of Wingate University. The punter/placekicker built up an impressive resume during his time as a Greyhound as well as a Bulldog, and his football career isn’t over yet as Evans has the NFL in his sights.

The All-American will have a chance to further prove himself in front of NFL scouts when he takes part in two of the most prestigious post-season events for college football players: the 77th annual Hula Bowl and the 98th annual East-West Shrine Bowl.

“My time playing at Wingate was the best four years of my life,” Evans said after being selected for the nationwide Shrine Bowl. “I’m blessed to be able to wear the Wingate helmet one last time and to show the world what it truly means to be a Wingate Bulldog.”

In 39 career games, Evans recorded the following stats as a punter: 186 punts for 8,027 yards (43.2 average) with a career long of 72 yards, as well as 47 fair catches, 89 punts inside the 20-yard line and 53 punts of 50 yards or more.

As a placekicker, Evans finished his career with: 213 kickoffs for 13,230 yards (62.1 average) and 120 touchbacks.

As a senior, Evans recorded: 67 kickoffs for 4,180 yards (62.4 average) with 44 touchbacks, 77 punts for 3,518 yards (45.69 average) with a long of 67 yards, 39 punts inside the 20-yard line and 30 punts of at least 50 yards.

Ethan’s mark of 45.69 yards per punt ranked No. 2 in the NCAA’s Division II. Only 11 kickers in the NCAA in any division averaged more yards per punt: nine in DI-FBS, one in DI-FCS and one in DII.

I keep posting about local players making impressive accomplishments at various D2 schools trying to educate our friends and parents that going to D2 Universities is many, if not most, times the wisest choice if they want their sons and neighbors the true opportunity to participate at the college level.

And if they are good enough, they will be seen and have future opportunities. Most high school players that "sign somewhere great" never get the opportunity to see the field of play on game day. I have nothing against D1 and all their scholarship offers......except when one of those big name schools give a scholarship offer to one, they have also given another and another and another the same spill. Maybe that works for the Donovan Greene's, Sam Howell's, and Drake May. But I could name a couple hundred that it has not worked for.

I am not sure I am oppose to the portal in college because when finally the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th running back, or quarterback or DB or LB etc realize they were just a number in that schools "factory" they now have a chance to not ruin all of their eligibility while never getting a chance.

The story that some of these D2 players tell is really up lifting and fantastic.

Ethan as a punter may be one of the best I've ever seen. There are a lot of good players at D2. Some are just late bloomers.

As to Wingate, it doesn't hurt that they are led by one of the truly class acts in the college ranks in Joe Reich.

He's a great fellow, one of my favorite players in all the years I've been at North. He had a rough adjustment period to getting used to playing for us but he really woke up in 2017 and 2018. That CSD game in 2018 was insane. The weather was crap and Swartz was hurt but he came through for us with that record FG he had. Gave us momentum when we needed it.

Still seem him a lot when he comes home. He and his family are good people. I hope he makes it. Even in the CFL or USFL that would be freaking cool.

Reactions: used2coach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT