ADVERTISEMENT

Legislature Challenges Onslow, Carteret, Craven, Pitt Conferences!

btango

Nov 5, 2003
Looks like we have politicians wanting to determine the realignment process.

Sounds great if you are the Onslow schools but what happens to the schools in the other three counties? What would their conferences look like?

Sounds great if you are the Onslow schools but what happens to the schools in the other three counties? What would their conferences look like?

First impulse would be to tell elected politicians to stick to what they are good, but that is a loaded statement. I often find myself asking what that is beyond meddling and creating headlines with issues that should be outside the scope of their jobs. Perhaps they should stay away from things that they are definitely not good at which might explain why not a lot of meaningful activity goes on at state capitals. No plan is going to make everyone happy. Letting this group determine the realignment plan is a train wreck in slow motion but perhaps a noisy diversion from doing the tasks they should be doing.

The legislature has a gentleman’s agreement that local bills will always pass. It’s their way of meddling in local issues that are none of their business. Hopefully, this will be an exception. The minute they get elected to state office, they’re experts on everything. If you don’t believe it, just ask one.

I have read that Onslow county schools will not ask NCHSAA to change conferences regardless of what they vote.
If it becomes law, the county wouldn’t have to ask. I don’t think the NCHSAA wants to violate a newly passed law, especially with the legislative scrutiny on the endowment fund.

JHS and Northside are going to Pitt and Craven Counties regardless of the vote. Great article in JDN about it. Few people griping,but I think we will be part of the best 3A football conference in the East. I'm excited about it.

Reactions: ncjeff and Otis4411
Bill has been pulled. Maybe our elected officials can get back to the econony and leave high school sports to the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT