ADVERTISEMENT

Just how good is Cherokee

Alleghany84

Feb 22, 2011
To get to 11-0, you have got to be pretty dang good. Are these guys the real deal? Or the beneficiary of a soft pre conference schedule? Or both? They were obviously competitive in the SMC last year. Did they return everyone or have some young kids move up or what?

I had expected Hayesville/Robbinsville to be the class of that conference this year, but maybe I was wrong.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

To get to 11-0, you have got to be pretty dang good. Are these guys the real deal? Or the beneficiary of a soft pre conference schedule? Or both? They were obviously competitive in the SMC last year. Did they return everyone or have some young kids move up or what?

I had expected Hayesville/Robbinsville to be the class of that conference this year, but maybe I was wrong.
I thought they would be good, but didn't realize they'd be as good as they've been. I think I picked them third.

They went 17-10 or so and were in the 3-way tie for the conference title before losing in the second round last year. They lost some good players, but returned probably their most important players--a great point guard who averages over 20 ppg and makes their offense go, and a big 6-4 center who can play, which everybody knows is valuable at the 1A level. They also returned another guard who averaged double figures last year, and picked up a wing who transferred in from Greeneville (TN) after being sixth man on a team that went to the AA state semis in TN last year.

As for whether their success is the product of a soft schedule, they beat East Rutherford, a 2A power year in and year out, although the Cavs are a little down this year. They also won at Asheville AC Reynolds--a 3A team with a winning record--and they won an out of state Christmas tournament. So their schedule has been pretty tough for a 1A. They did have to come from behind to beat a bad 2A Franklin team, but everybody has their off nights.

Overall, in hindsight, good guardplay wins games in high school basketball, and they certainly have that, so picking them third in the league preseason might have been wrong-headed. But Hayesville and Robbinsville are good, too, so who knows. I just know it's a tough league this year.

I notice that they are referred to on here as being 11-0 yet on Max preps they are listed as 11-1 with a loss their first game of the year. Which one is correct?

Cherokee is the real deal. They beat Hayesville girls and the boys tonight. I don't think Hayesville ever had the lead in either game! Cherokee boys team were very impressive winning by about 12 points.

Tell you what. The boys are legit. They beat a team that had two 6'8 monsters and a 6'4 shooter that was as good as anyone Cherokee has seen.

Wow who did they play that had 2 monsters that were 6'8 and how did they get this good this quick. I had thought they graduated their best player last year

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

Wow who did they play that had 2 monsters that were 6'8 and how did they get this good this quick. I had thought they graduated their best player last year
A private school from KY in a Christmas tourney final. And Cherokee's best player last year, IMO, was their PG, who is back this year and tearing it up. Big center also returned and a few other guys and they got a good transfer from TN.

They also won the last 5 games with out their second best player who will be back soon..

Improvement can happen pretty quick at the 1A level, particularly when you get a transfer of significance, but it can even happen without a transfer. My numbers may be off by 1 or 2 but getting close. Alleghany won 7 games in the 2012-2013 season then turned around and won 22 in 2013-2014, and this improvement was without a transfer. So having one move in that is meaningful and growth among your existing players can result in lots of improvement in a short period.

Happy to see a traditional school having success.

I think they'd still be very good without the transfer. He's a starter, but not a star. And they split the conference title last year, so it's not out of the blue that they're good this year.

HAHAHAHAHAHA if anyone has any doubts as to how good The Braves and Lady Braves are, they just need to read some of this crap. You know a team is good when all the haters can say is crap about the anouncer and cracks in walls hahahaha. I suppose the good thing for the haters is Cherokee cant take their announcer on the road with them so Im sure your team will easily handle the Braves on your home court hahahahahaha.

sorry posted my last on the wrong thread but still when you get complaints about stupid stuff you must be for real

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT