ADVERTISEMENT

Javonte williams

STOP with this bs narrative. NC State, like literally every other school in the country, had no clue who Javonte was. He never plays a single down for UNC if that state title game isn’t in Kenan.

It’s an incredible success story. Even diehard pack fans, like myself, can appreciate Javonte’s feel-good story.

If WRH/those around him had taken him to college camps (summer months between junior/senior year), Javonte would’ve had numerous P5 offers going into his senior year. Those camps are crucial for player exposure.

Much like Javonte, Nate Irving wasn’t on anyone’s radar either. WRH HC personally drove Nate to NC State’s camp the summer after his junior year. He left Raleigh a couple of days later with a scholarship offer and the rest is history.
That's your opinion but it wasn't like that. Javonte was going to Carolina anyway. I like the path he took. Got education and nice contract in Denver. Doing it his way.

Reactions: Chargers#1
STOP with this bs narrative. NC State, like literally every other school in the country, had no clue who Javonte was. He never plays a single down for UNC if that state title game isn’t in Kenan.

It’s an incredible success story. Even diehard pack fans, like myself, can appreciate Javonte’s feel-good story.

If WRH/those around him had taken him to college camps (summer months between junior/senior year), Javonte would’ve had numerous P5 offers going into his senior year. Those camps are crucial for player exposure.

Much like Javonte, Nate Irving wasn’t on anyone’s radar either. WRH HC personally drove Nate to NC State’s camp the summer after his junior year. He left Raleigh a couple of days later with a scholarship offer and the rest is history.

Very true brother

Reactions: strikerHHS
I can assure you NC State knew who Javonte Williams was. We discussed him on the premium boards all year long. Recruiting is a fickle business. You take a chance on a small town kid and sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. The running back from Princeton comes to mind. Frasier. Everyone knew Javonte only wanted that one offer. Hell he could have gone to Harvard with his grades.

Williams had zero, I repeat zero, d1 scholarships before title game. He wasnt going to unc? Without a scholarship, he wasnt going to play football at unc or even go period. He would've taken his best option to play college ball, whomever at the time had offered.

He definitely should've had many scholarships before the title game, but that's the downfall playing 2a ball. He made his impression when it counted. The kid is a warrior, he will succeed in anything he chooses in life.

Come on dude, put down the koolaid. If he went out and fumbled 4 times and finished with 16 rushing yards, no way he plays at UNC
Williams had zero, I repeat zero, d1 scholarships before title game. He wasnt going to unc? Without a scholarship, he wasnt going to play football at unc or even go period. He would've taken his best option to play college ball, whomever at the time had offered.

He definitely should've had many scholarships before the title game, but that's the downfall playing 2a ball. He made his impression when it counted. The kid is a warrior, he will succeed in anything he chooses in life.

I heard he had an offer from ECU but as a LB. I’ve heard that announced during games on TV talking about him and how lightly he was recruited.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Again, you spouting off things you know nothing about. Fedora had been in contact for a long time with the WRH staff. He knew who he was and the offer was there. As another posted pointed out, it was no coincidence WRH used the Carolina locker room, the only team there that was afforded that luxury. Keep in mind the eastern teams were the visitors in 2017. Williams was going to Carolina regardless. He would have walked on if needed but didnt have to. It is true there was no offer or interest from NC State. Wrong again.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
Come on dude, put down the koolaid. If he went out and fumbled 4 times and finished with 16 rushing yards, no way he plays at UNC.
Javonte hardly ever fumbles. That's what makes it so great that he could do this from a small community and all those national interest didnt get a chance to influence his mind.

Again, you spouting off things you know nothing about. Fedora had been in contact for a long time with the WRH staff. He knew who he was and the offer was there. As another posted pointed out, it was no coincidence WRH used the Carolina locker room, the only team there that was afforded that luxury. Keep in mind the eastern teams were the visitors in 2017. Williams was going to Carolina regardless. He would have walked on if needed but didnt have to. It is true there was no offer or interest from NC State. Wrong again.

What dude? Fedora was in contact with who? The waterboy at wrh? See, maybe you dont understand, I've got family in the wrh area, nephew who played with Williams, and one of his closest classmates. Again I repeat he had zero offers on the table. Fence boy, you can talk all sideways if you want, I'm just telling you how it went. Don't sit up here act like you have inside knowledge on wrh. YOU NEVER EVEN WORE the uniform, relax stay in your lane.

Javonte hardly ever fumbles. That's what makes it so great that he could do this from a small community and all those national interest didnt get a chance to influence his mind.
Didn’t get a chance? Fedora offered Javonte 9 days before National Signing Day. A recruiting battle was never going to ensue.

I can assure you NC State knew who Javonte Williams was. We discussed him on the premium boards all year long. Recruiting is a fickle business. You take a chance on a small town kid and sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. The running back from Princeton comes to mind. Frasier. Everyone knew Javonte only wanted that one offer. Hell he could have gone to Harvard with his grades.

He didn’t even have a profile in any of the major recruiting services (247, Rivals, ESPN) until AFTER he committed to UNC. That’s how far off the radar he was.

It’s nearly impossible to “master” football recruiting. Way too many players to effectively evaluate everyone and football doesn’t have an AAU platform like basketball where the best players in the country compete against each other on the same court. Very rare to see a 5 star bust in basketball recruiting. 5 star busts happen all the time in football (1A-6A, small towns, big cities, all across the board). On the flip side 2/3 star guys turning into first round NFL draft picks shocks nobody these days.

The Johnny Fraiser situation still leaves me scratching my head. It was a big coup for Doeren to flip JF from Jimbo/FSU. Way Way Way different situation than Javonte. 1A ball was never a knock on him during his recruitment. JF was a top 100 national recruit — coast to coast, everyone knew him. He played in the US Army HS All-American game. Offers from every major college football program in the country. Nick Saban personally made the trip to Princeton visit Johnny Fraiser.

NC has produced elite running back talent over the years (1A-4A). Hell, UGA has made a living off some of our best (Keith Marshall, Todd Gurley, Zamir White). TA Mclendon was a STAR coming out of 1A Albemarle.

I have no trouble believing UNC was his childhood favorite team/dream school. That’s the case for probably 70%+ of high school kids growing up in this state — but when Javonte walked off that field in Kenan, he was sure his football playing days were over. ZERO OFFERS. He would’ve accepted an offer ON.THE.SPOT. from Duke, WF, or State just the same.

I always felt he was a silent commit. But that is just an assumption I had. But State Carolina ECU all knew who Javonte was. Only they could answer as to why they didn't offer. We argued about it on wolfpacks premium board. I believe @Wizard of the East commented in it. I told them what they would see was Javonte scoring touchdowns against us in Carter Finley. It wasn't a case of Javonte being an unknown. There had to be something recruiters didn't like or didn't think would work at the college level. I have no idea what that would be since I don't know Dave Doreen or his assistants. I do know the guy that use to head the video department. I'll have to ask him if he knows why. But Javonte wasn't an "unknown". He's the best rb I have seen since Lee Becton. My heart will not let me say he was better than Lee. But it's the greatest compliment I can give.

I always felt he was a silent commit. But that is just an assumption I had. But State Carolina ECU all knew who Javonte was. Only they could answer as to why they didn't offer. We argued about it on wolfpacks premium board. I believe @Wizard of the East commented in it. I told them what they would see was Javonte scoring touchdowns against us in Carter Finley. It wasn't a case of Javonte being an unknown. There had to be something recruiters didn't like or didn't think would work at the college level. I have no idea what that would be since I don't know Dave Doreen or his assistants. I do know the guy that use to head the video department. I'll have to ask him if he knows why. But Javonte wasn't an "unknown". He's the best rb I have seen since Lee Becton. My heart will not let me say he was better than Lee. But it's the greatest compliment I can give.

i’m sure our recruiting operations director knew of him. it’s essentially his job to know about everyone. that’s where it all starts. ops staff evaluates film and puts player big-boards/target lists together for doeren and coordinators to further evaluate.

we already had two rb commits in the 2018 class (person and penix). the staff really loved ricky person who was a top 100 recruit, us army all-american game selection, and the consensus 2nd best rb in the state behind zamir white. we were also heavily invested in bam knights recruitment for 2019.

there’s no doubt we missed on javonte … but EVERYONE missed (including unc). happens all the time. doeren makes a trip down to charlotte to check out a mallard creek player he thinks has potential and while there the head coach tells him he should also look at mc’s running back — “we’ve got the best rb/play maker in the state that no ones ever heard of”. that player was jaylen samuels. lol how’d that work out for us?! you win some, you lose some

you always felt he was a silent commit? that wouldn’t line up with the whole feel-good fairytale story of how fedora meets with javonte/his family and offers him (either that same night or the next day) after watching him go off in the state title game.

** he was impressive in his only game at carter-finley, no doubt — but remember we had an unprecedented number of players on the season-ending injury list. everything went wrong in 2019. we had scout team players running around on defense trying to cover clemson in front of a national tv audience (the ultra desired saturday night 8pm ABC game). so embarrassing.

he carved us up good last season. that kid clearly has a knack for putting on a show in kenan stadium 🙂

Didn’t get a chance? Fedora offered Javonte 9 days before National Signing Day. A recruiting battle was never going to ensue.
In
He didn’t even have a profile in any of the major recruiting services (247, Rivals, ESPN) until AFTER he committed to UNC. That’s how far off the radar he was.

It’s nearly impossible to “master” football recruiting. Way too many players to effectively evaluate everyone and football doesn’t have an AAU platform like basketball where the best players in the country compete against each other on the same court. Very rare to see a 5 star bust in basketball recruiting. 5 star busts happen all the time in football (1A-6A, small towns, big cities, all across the board). On the flip side 2/3 star guys turning into first round NFL draft picks shocks nobody these days.

The Johnny Fraiser situation still leaves me scratching my head. It was a big coup for Doeren to flip JF from Jimbo/FSU. Way Way Way different situation than Javonte. 1A ball was never a knock on him during his recruitment. JF was a top 100 national recruit — coast to coast, everyone knew him. He played in the US Army HS All-American game. Offers from every major college football program in the country. Nick Saban personally made the trip to Princeton visit Johnny Fraiser.

NC has produced elite running back talent over the years (1A-4A). Hell, UGA has made a living off some of our best (Keith Marshall, Todd Gurley, Zamir White). TA Mclendon was a STAR coming out of 1A Albemarle.

I have no trouble believing UNC was his childhood favorite team/dream school. That’s the case for probably 70%+ of high school kids growing up in this state — but when Javonte walked off that field in Kenan, he was sure his football playing days were over. ZERO OFFERS. He would’ve accepted an offer ON.THE.SPOT. from Duke, WF, or State just the same. Oh,Johnny Frazier had the body but lacked other traits. Camps, national recruiting, other chatter didn't help that young man. Always believed
Not true with Javonte or Micheal Jordan. They both are/were meeting their goals and doing it their way. They not influenced by others that only has themselves in mind. People like Javonte are rare.

• Haha
i’m sure our recruiting operations director knew of him. it’s essentially his job to know about everyone. that’s where it all starts. ops staff evaluates film and puts player big-boards/target lists together for doeren and coordinators to further evaluate.

we already had two rb commits in the 2018 class (person and penix). the staff really loved ricky person who was a top 100 recruit, us army all-american game selection, and the consensus 2nd best rb in the state behind zamir white. we were also heavily invested in bam knights recruitment for 2019.

there’s no doubt we missed on javonte … but EVERYONE missed (including unc). happens all the time. doeren makes a trip down to charlotte to check out a mallard creek player he thinks has potential and while there the head coach tells him he should also look at mc’s running back — “we’ve got the best rb/play maker in the state that no ones ever heard of”. that player was jaylen samuels. lol how’d that work out for us?! you win some, you lose some

you always felt he was a silent commit? that wouldn’t line up with the whole feel-good fairytale story of how fedora meets with javonte/his family and offers him (either that same night or the next day) after watching him go off in the state title game.
Not true.

• Haha

I have no trouble believing UNC was his childhood favorite team/dream school. That’s the case for probably 70%+ of high school kids growing up in this state — but when Javonte walked off that field in Kenan, he was sure his football playing days were over. ZERO OFFERS. He would’ve accepted an offer ON.THE.SPOT. from Duke, WF, or State just the same.

Thanks brother, tried to explain it these dudes. With all your information and knowledge on this subject, they still cant believe anything you're saying lol Said now hes a silent commit lol but was well known lol.

Side note, what a suprise to see BJ Emmons looking got in the preseason. Very happy for that kid, has overcame a lot last few years.

Thanks brother, tried to explain it these dudes. With all your information and knowledge on this subject, they still cant believe anything you're saying lol Said now hes a silent commit lol but was well known lol.

Side note, what a suprise to see BJ Emmons looking got in the preseason. Very happy for that kid, has overcame a lot last few years.

Very happy for BJ. Super Super talented kid. Dripping with God given abilities. Proud to see he’s matured and persevered over the years.

“The journey has not been easy, but it has made me better, stronger, and more determined than ever to succeed” — love it. love the mental mindset. he’s gotten himself back to a good place.

In

Not true with Javonte or Micheal Jordan. They both are/were meeting their goals and doing it their way. They not influenced by others that only has themselves in mind. People like Javonte are rare.

LOL. Did you seriously just compare Javonte to Michael Jordan?

Pro Tip: go watch the Last Dance documentary. Roy talks about getting a call from the New Hanover County Public Schools AD. “I’ve got a kid down here who I think has a chance” Roy invites him up to Carolina’s camp. “We had heard the name, but not a whole lot more. When he left Chapel Hill a few days later, we thought he was the best player in the country”

MJ went to camp! went.to.camp. Gained a national profile and ended up the #1 recruit in his class (some had MJ and Patrick Ewing tied 1st)

Javonte sounds like a great kid. Talented, Strong work-ethic, Emphasis on Academics, Strong Religious Faith — under recruited, killed it in college, off to the NFL

you think he’s a rare breed (and i get it, you’ve got an emotional/personal attachment to him) — i think his journey/story/makeup is very similar to russell wilson

p.s. russell came to camp 🙂

Sometimes I think its too much emphasis on camp, I get its important though

you’re showcasing your athletic abilities, character, and personality directly in front of the decision makers. i can’t think of a better way to sell yourself and establish relationships.

are you thinking there’s too much emphasis because camps will never be able to simulate those invaluable real game situations/environments? it’s a valid point

Sometimes I think its too much emphasis on camp, I get its important though
Sometimes I think too many colleges are looking around to see who others are looking at. I've watched football my whole life. As a young fella 7-10 years old I was a Packer fan when Lombardi was the coach. They had some great teams. But I have always loved high school ball and there are not many years that I missed spending friday nights at a game. I had a 8 year stretch I missed but those were rough times. I got involved helping coach little league in the late 80's for a few years after I got my life turned around. Since that time all my Friday Nights have been high school football when the season began. When Jesse Campbell played at West Craven ( I helped coach in LL) all attention was on him and we had George Koonce on the same team. I could never understand why coaches didn't want him also. He refused to accept no and went to Chowan for 2 years then transferred to ECU leading them in tackles both years. He has a couple of Superbowl rings to show for his efforts. We have one at West Craven right now that is a man child on defense. He went to State and Carolina Camps this year. Coach Doeren took him inside for a private talk. We hoped an offer was coming. It didn't. They told him they had someone on their board they were waiting on. He may or may not get a State offer down the road. I don't know how the Carolina camp went. I don't have any contacts on that nor do I want any. ECU has given him and offer and he has accepted. He has too. This is a kid with Yale and Harvard grades that wants to play football. He will probably be the nose guard at ECU. CJ Mims. Remember the name. He will just be another in a long line of local talent NC State has looked past as they struggle in mediocracy.

Reactions: dogs79
you’re showcasing your athletic abilities, character, and personality directly in front of the decision makers. i can’t think of a better way to sell yourself and establish relationships.

are you thinking there’s too much emphasis because camps will never be able to simulate those invaluable real game situations/environments? it’s a valid point
There are a lot of kids that can't do the camps for varying reasons. I'd rather know what a kid is doing come game time.

Reactions: dogs79

That's the point!

sure. if only we lived in a perfect world…

college coaching staffs don’t get many opportunities to get out to a high school football game on friday nights. friday night is a work night, getting ready for saturday.
I'm glad Javonte didn't have all that recruiting crap in his head.

Reactions: Otis4411
Sometimes I think too many colleges are looking around to see who others are looking at. I've watched football my whole life. As a young fella 7-10 years old I was a Packer fan when Lombardi was the coach. They had some great teams. But I have always loved high school ball and there are not many years that I missed spending friday nights at a game. I had a 8 year stretch I missed but those were rough times. I got involved helping coach little league in the late 80's for a few years after I got my life turned around. Since that time all my Friday Nights have been high school football when the season began. When Jesse Campbell played at West Craven ( I helped coach in LL) all attention was on him and we had George Koonce on the same team. I could never understand why coaches didn't want him also. He refused to accept no and went to Chowan for 2 years then transferred to ECU leading them in tackles both years. He has a couple of Superbowl rings to show for his efforts. We have one at West Craven right now that is a man child on defense. He went to State and Carolina Camps this year. Coach Doeren took him inside for a private talk. We hoped an offer was coming. It didn't. They told him they had someone on their board they were waiting on. He may or may not get a State offer down the road. I don't know how the Carolina camp went. I don't have any contacts on that nor do I want any. ECU has given him and offer and he has accepted. He has too. This is a kid with Yale and Harvard grades that wants to play football. He will probably be the nose guard at ECU. CJ Mims. Remember the name. He will just be another in a long line of local talent NC State has looked past as they struggle in mediocracy.

yeah, it’s a numbers game. we’ve already got 3 DL/DT committed in this class, plus we added a transfer from florida state. we’ll see how it all plays out — he could still end up in raleigh, you never know.

ecu, duke, army, campbell, charlotte, charleston southern, coastal, dartmouth, georgia state, howard, liberty, navy, princeton — that’s a solid offer list.

i’m sure ecu will be a great fit for him, but just thinking about life after football — an opportunity to get a degree from duke, dartmouth, or princeton … man, i don’t think i could pass that up.

elite on the field and in the classroom. impressive young man. vanceboro community raising ‘em right.

yeah, it’s a numbers game. we’ve already got 3 DL/DT committed in this class, plus we added a transfer from florida state. we’ll see how it all plays out — he could still end up in raleigh, you never know.

ecu, duke, army, campbell, charlotte, charleston southern, coastal, dartmouth, georgia state, howard, liberty, navy, princeton — that’s a solid offer list.

i’m sure ecu will be a great fit for him, but just thinking about life after football — an opportunity to get a degree from duke, dartmouth, or princeton … man, i don’t think i could pass that up.

elite on the field and in the classroom. impressive young man. vanceboro community raising ‘em right.

Yea he has several offers to play ball. He can attend an Ivy league school also if he choose too. Javonte had great grades also. He was the top kid in his class. Valedictorian and went to a school where they don't even go to class. 🤦

Yea he has several offers to play ball. He can attend an Ivy league school also if he choose too. Javonte had great grades also. He was the top kid in his class. Valedictorian and went to a school where they don't even go to class. 🤦

the fact that a couple of state kids on packpride did a little investigating and got the ball rolling on the whole academic scandal … that’s still the best part for me 🙂

Reactions: Otis4411
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT