ADVERTISEMENT

James Kenan at East Carteret

Mr. Pub

Aug 23, 2014
The Mariners have started strong (4-0), but the Tigers have too (3-0). Battle of the unbeatens. So who's got the edge in this one?

The Mariners have started strong (4-0), but the Tigers have too (3-0). Battle of the unbeatens. So who's got the edge in this one?

Certainly JK has the edge due to recent success but this game could be a big surprise & shake up the 1A rankings. EC has the skill athletes to compete w JK, a great offensive system & they play good defense. It's all about match ups and this will be JK's biggest test of the season including W-RH. Ten years ago JK rolled into Mariner stadium expecting a cakewalk and got shutout. Don't think EC can completely stuff them again but they could outscore them with a break or two. Could be wrong but I'll take EC in an upset.

Hard to pick against James Kenan who may have the best QB under center that the Tigers have had?....A great coach and a seasoned bunch who won a state title a couple years ago, and have already beaten the defending state champ as well as a couple bigger schools to start this season....I'm impressed by the start by the Mariners, but this is a tall order this friday, and I'll take the Veteran team with big game experience....JK 28-14!

Besides, it's hard for me to pick against Tigers, since I am a Tiger myself....A Rosman Tiger that is....

Roar Tigers Roar!

Hard to pick against James Kenan who may have the best QB under center that the Tigers have had?....A great coach and a seasoned bunch who won a state title a couple years ago, and have already beaten the defending state champ as well as a couple bigger schools to start this season....I'm impressed by the start by the Mariners, but this is a tall order this friday, and I'll take the Veteran team with big game experience....JK 28-14!

Besides, it's hard for me to pick against Tigers, since I am a Tiger myself....A Rosman Tiger that is....

Roar Tigers Roar!

Probably a wise pick & definitely taking the safe route but overconfidence is a terrible thing. EC has a better QB, equal speed, really good coaching, & a long bus ride for the Tigers. Throw in the mosquitoes & the Mariners have an edge!

This is a really good East Carteret team. The QB is a big kid with a strong arm, and he has a good O-line in front of him. The one weakness for this East team is the secondary and JK will expose it.

I like JK big in this one. They have more team speed than EC and they are rolling right now. The best high school player I've seen this year is #4 for JK.
Nothing against EC(I think this will be the only game they lose), but JK is on a different level right now.

It is hard to pick against the Tigers. Having a head coach like Ken Avent with a superb staff around him is always a big plus. Throw in what before season looked like a pass heavy offense that has turned out to have a very balanced running game and a defense that is flying to the ball on every play keeps JK baking in every game. Don't get me wrong I have all respect for East Carteret this year and this should be a great contest. The 2+ hour trip for the Tigers is a concern but the team will handle it well.......Now the mosquitoes may be another matter!!!

I don't think East will be able to stop JK's run game.
IMO this won't be close. JK by 42-7.
Hope I'm wrong.

While JK's win over East Duplin was solid, they seemed a bit flat offensively, but they got the job done. I hope they'll come out fired up for EC Friday. The Mariners QB may be the best one they'll face this season.

Brennan Lewis has been on a blistering pace. This should be a good one!! Lots of enthusiasm in Beaufort now about football. I know Coach King is loving the underdog role but I think they could pull out a win with a big game from Lewis. It is going to take an extremely mistake-free game. James Kenan is very capable of making teams pay for mistakes.

I know East Carteret is excited about their start, but James Kenan has too much and should win by at least three touchdowns

Kent Avent enough said.I'll take JK because of Coach Avent.He wins everywhere he goes no matter how much talent he has.Hard to beat his teams.A proven fact.You can beat him but you better have more talent and also be very well coached.Thats how much respect i have for him and his staff.Would love to know his overall coaching record.Iknow he had very good teams at NDuplin with little talent.

Avent had a few playoff teams at North Duplin but never went passed the third round as a head coach, his brother John took the team directly after Ken left to the fourth round in 2003.

And while I think that James Kenan will have an edge like many here believe. I think that the Tigers may have trouble containing the passing attack presented by East Carteret. James Kenan hasn't been as strong against the pass this year as they probably would like to be and while it hasn't hurt them it is something to watch in this game.

Good hard fought game. JK holds EC scoreless in the 2nd half and goes on to win 35-21.....

EC Quarterback is good, but did get rattled from numerous sacks by the JK defense. He can throw the long ball accurately. Fun game to watch. JK was without leading rusher Zack Melvin, who had a practice injury and was on the sidelines on crutches (no cast, though).

Roar Tigers Roar!

Well, looks like I had the point spread right, but missed with the exact score....

Good win by JK and good showing by the EC which should help the Mariners the next time that these two face one another albeit in Warsaw if it happens this year?....

Reactions: Mr. Pub
EC had a few big strike offensive plays but was held to zero points in the second half, overall a great game, wish I had ECs athletes when I was there in 2008, was nice meeting old friends and coaches.

East's Brannan Lewis threw for nearly 400 yards, but also was sacked nine times by the Tigers' defense. Three plays accounted for 175 yards. East Carteret's rushing for the night was a minus 22 yards.

James Kenan had 159 yards rushing. K-III threw for 161 more, including two touchdown passes and scored two rushing touchdowns.

Last edited:
EC was well prepared and well coached. The team came out and was ready to play. Both teams were fired up for this one, it was a clash of powers in the East and I don't see many teams that could remotely keep up with these two, outside of Wallace-Rose Hill and Tarboro. Brennan Lewis was on point Friday and was able to evade enough of the JK pass rush to keep plays alive. I don't think that the rushing attack for EC can stand up to tough defenses in 1-A football but with a gunslinger like Lewis it's not likely they'll need much of that run game the rest of the regular season.

Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.

Last edited:
EC was well prepared and well coached. The team came out and was ready to play. Both teams were fired up for this one, it was a clash of powers in the East and I don't see many teams that could remotely keep up with these two, outside of Wallace-Rose Hill and Tarboro. Brannan King was on point Friday and was able to evade enough of the JK pass rush to keep plays alive. I don't think that the rushing attack for EC can stand up to tough defenses in 1-A football but with a gunslinger like King it's not likely they'll need much of that run game the rest of the regular season.

Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.

The QB's name is Brennan Lewis. The HFC's last name is King. JK is a great 1A team but EC certainly had their chances. I'll take EC in a rematch (if it happens) once they shore up their young offensive line.

Sorry to Lewis for the incorrect naming there, but James Kenan without their best rusher and had a linebacker covering the most dangerous threat EC had on the field I'll take JK to win a rematch this year.

Sorry to Lewis for the incorrect naming there, but James Kenan without their best rusher and had a linebacker covering the most dangerous threat EC had on the field I'll take JK to win a rematch this year.

I heard ODU offered Lewis a scholly.

That's big time, I hope he continues to keep growing on the field and from what I hear he can sling it around the diamond too.

The QB's name is Brennan Lewis. The HFC's last name is King. JK is a great 1A team but EC certainly had their chances. I'll take EC in a rematch (if it happens) once they shore up their young offensive line.

This was EC chance, Next time it will be in Warsaw and unless JK has a rash of injuries it'll be the same story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT