ADVERTISEMENT

Intriguing 1st Game Matchups

Sometimes I do not know what coaches are thinking when they choose to schedule a Buford, IMG, St. John’s, Bosco, etc and your team is nowhere near that talent caliber across the board. It’s definitely not scheduling with a purpose. A part of me believe it’s arrogance on the coaches part or ignorance. You get nothing out of getting beat down by an out of state powerhouse which is more than likely will happen. MC should focus on getting back on top in NC consistently, try to schedule some tough instate games, maybe then play a SC or Virginia power team before trying to play a national level team.
I couldn’t agree more!

Sometimes I do not know what coaches are thinking when they choose to schedule a Buford, IMG, St. John’s, Bosco, etc and your team is nowhere near that talent caliber across the board. It’s definitely not scheduling with a purpose. A part of me believe it’s arrogance on the coaches part or ignorance. You get nothing out of getting beat down by an out of state powerhouse which is more than likely will happen. MC should focus on getting back on top in NC consistently, try to schedule some tough instate games, maybe then play a SC or Virginia power team before trying to play a national level team.
We once had the biggs within the program that could definitely make it a competitive game. I believe scheduling Gaffney and Butler would have been fine. We're not power 5 big this year. :) If they give me the go-ahead, I can make the call to Tony Wolfe (AD) and cancel the game immediately. Don't come down here, we changed our mind. 😀

The irony is before Mallard Creek started winning championships but was gaining momentum as a small college size team with speed everywhere, many teams in Charlotte and NC as a whole were avoiding them. I remember there were some powers from other states that didn’t want to play them because of the risk/reward. I respect the fact that MC will play anybody.

Coach Ollis always scheduled 1 team that Polk really had no chance of beating every year ….He said it was to show the team (and fans) what a championship caliber team played like. I liked it .. cause you never knew who that team would be from year to year but they would be a top tier team

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Coach Ollis always scheduled 1 team that Polk really had no chance of beating every year ….He said it was to show the team (and fans) what a championship caliber team played like. I liked it .. cause you never knew who that team would be from year to year but they would be a top tier team
I agree but scheduling a team that you have almost no chance of beating versus scheduling a national high school superpower like Buford caliber teams are totally different scenarios.

Mallard Creek over the years has played all the South Carolina powers Byrnes, Gaffney, Dillon, South Pointe and almost always on the road. It's been a mixed bag . They haven't dominated but been at least respectable. I think the only one they haven't beat at least once is South Pointe but it's only been two games.

Mallard Creek over the years has played all the South Carolina powers Byrnes, Gaffney, Dillon, South Pointe and almost always on the road. It's been a mixed bag . They haven't dominated but been at least respectable. I think the only one they haven't beat at least once is South Pointe but it's only been two games.
Those Mallard Creek teams were proven and much different than what they are now.

Those Mallard Creek teams were proven and much different than what they are now.
An average 6’5” 310 across the line is the difference . Speed wise, probably the fastest collectively in school history. If they placed 3 teams in the State 4x100. I believe all 3 would’ve place. The fastest kids are rising Juniors from the undefeated JV team.Interior guys are regular high school size this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: shutdownD24
I think you need to schedule at least one powerful team to see how your team fares against elte competition. Richmond has a very tough non-conference schedule (71st, Cardinal Gibbons, Butler, and Myers Park). Travel up US 220 (or I-73/74), you will see a huge contrast in non-conference scheduling philosophy. Up at Montgomery Central,, they schedule nothing but cupcakes (Carrboro, Orange, Webb, East Chapel HIll and Piedmont. The head coaches of these two schools used to coach against each other when one of them coached in Moore County (Pinecrest). Reckon who fared better when they faced each other?

I remember Mallard Creek trying to schedule those teams before they were proven. I remember they played Chester in 2010 who was a good team the year before. They played Dillon the year they won their first title at their place. What i am saying is MC always tried to schedule out whether they had the elite talent or not. I think it’s easier to MC to get games against these elite teams now because this isn’t 2013 Mallard Creek.

Yes, MaxPreps came out with their National Pre Season poll last week.
Top 25
1. Mater Dei
2. Bishop Gorman
3. St. John Bosco
4. IMG
5. Miami Central
6. St. Francis Academy
7. Chaminade-Madonna
8. Duncanville
9. St. Thomas Aquinas
10. Buford
11. St. Joseph’s Prep
12. Carrollton
13. North Shore
14. Langston Hughes
15. Centennial
16. St. Edward
17. Desoto
18. Basha
19. Lipscomb Academy
20. Colquitt County
21. American Heritage
22. Good Counsel
23. Columbus
24. Bergen Catholic
25. Belleville

Top 25
1. Mater Dei
2. Bishop Gorman
3. St. John Bosco
4. IMG
5. Miami Central
6. St. Francis Academy
7. Chaminade-Madonna
8. Duncanville
9. St. Thomas Aquinas
10. Buford
11. St. Joseph’s Prep
12. Carrollton
13. North Shore
14. Langston Hughes
15. Centennial
16. St. Edward
17. Desoto
18. Basha
19. Lipscomb Academy
20. Colquitt County
21. American Heritage
22. Good Counsel
23. Columbus
24. Bergen Catholic
25. Belleville
Thanks

Reactions: New3ra
The Providence Day n Northwestern game is the one I’m anticipating for. I hear Northwestern will be loaded as well. Definitely a game of interest for me.
Providence Day has higher end top talent while Northwestern has better depth. If this game goes into the 4th qtr being a competitive game then I can see NW having an advantage in the heat of August late in the game.

They just got a big time transfer from Mississippi

How does a kid go from Mississippi to TN to play HIGHSCHOOL football? Parents rich? Move there? School moves him in? This stuff is wild lol. When I was in highschool my father couldn't afford lunch. Lived in a two bedroom shack with 15 family members.... Is this the new HS football way of life?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT