ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Read on NCHSAA numbers are shocking

Religion is also a boundary in a sense. 95% are Roman Catholic, and those who aren't pay a higher tuition.

To me, it's not about "recruiting"or "transfers." Parochial schools have a bigger area to draw from. That's the "unfair" part. I don't believe Catholic recruits at all. But you can go an hour in any direction from the school and be in their "district." All other schools have about a 20 minute perimeter.

This is what I mean. Not transfers per se. A larger area to pull students from than a traditional school is an advantage.

This is what I mean. Not transfers per se. A larger area to pull students from than a traditional school is an advantage.

Well how about Forsyth County? With open enrollment athletes can go pretty much wherever they want to go. They also don't have to worry about religion or tuition. I just don't understand how anyone can discredit the parochial schools when certain traditional schools have much bigger advantages.

Religion is also a boundary in a sense. 95% are Roman Catholic, and those who aren't pay a higher tuition.

I agree and with almost every player coming from the middle school it supports this. I think one tile that should be in place is that a student attended the middle school for st least two full years before entering Catholic as a freshman or they must have been a member in “good standing” fir the previous two years before they can participate in sports. I do not think it would make much of a difference but it takes care of a potential issue.

I also believe they should play up on classification or have an ADM multiplier.

I think with an enrollment adjustment, diocese “requirement”, along with the currently implemented 25 mile radius, no tuition assistance, and 365 sit out the playing field is fairly even.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Well how about Forsyth County? With open enrollment athletes can go pretty much wherever they want to go. They also don't have to worry about religion or tuition. I just don't understand how anyone can discredit the parochial schools when certain traditional schools have much bigger advantages.
IDK. Maybe we should just have open enrollment everywhere. That would balance the field. Do they bus kids wherever they want to go, or do parents have to provide transportation?

IDK. Maybe we should just have open enrollment everywhere. That would balance the field. Do they bus kids wherever they want to go, or do parents have to provide transportation?

Just like the parochial schools that you think have an "unfair" advantage, the parents are responsible for transportation.

It's up to the LEA whether there is open enrollment. The NCHSAA allows it.

It basically is open enrollment now although some LEAs will not sign off on it.

Forsyth County has been open enrollment for several years. They have a time period during each semester where students can select their school for the next semester.

I understand the argument about tuition but I don't agree with that assertion. Rich people can't have good athletes as kids? They can pay for lessons and have better upbringing (money-wise) that gives them an edge as well. You put a lot of those kids together and you have yourself a good/great team. Especially when they play together for years and years.

That's what this country is going to anyways. Let's make the majority of the people change for the minority. Makes no sense.

I understand the argument about tuition but I don't agree with that assertion. Rich people can't have good athletes as kids? They can pay for lessons and have better upbringing (money-wise) that gives them an edge as well. You put a lot of those kids together and you have yourself a good/great team. Especially when they play together for years and years.

I don't agree with your assertion that families sending their kids to a parochial school are rich. That's not accurate at all. Many of these parents sacrifice every day to send these kids to these schools.

My parents took out loans to send me to Catholic, I grew up anything but rich. My parents wanted me to get a Catholic education and they made sacrifices which is far more common then people think at CC. Not everyone there is rich.

My parents took out loans to send me to Catholic, I grew up anything but rich. My parents wanted me to get a Catholic education and they made sacrifices which is far more common then people think at CC. Not everyone there is rich.

I would guess that the majority of these students had parents take out loans for their kids. The argument that all of you are rich is simply not true. People just assume that without considering anything else.

I would guess that the majority of these students had parents take out loans for their kids. The argument that all of you are rich is simply not true. People just assume that without considering anything else.
I would not go so far as to say a majority take out loans, BUT I will say a majority of kids parents probably do make sacrifices to send their kids there, especially if you're a K-12 kid like I was(Catholic school all the way through).

I would not go so far as to say a majority take out loans, BUT I will say a majority of kids parents probably do make sacrifices to send their kids there, especially if you're a K-12 kid like I was(Catholic school all the way through).
You might be surprised.Many parents will tap into a home equity loan to pay for their kids education.

OK. So they're not rich.....which mean you can't throw the "tuition" excuse around anymore because you proved that tuition doesn't always play a factor in who can "afford" to go to Catholic. There is still access to a bigger area than public schools. It's very simple.

Listen, Burns, to my knowledge hasn't been affected by Catholic much in the past. Our paths haven't crossed that much. So my opinion is pretty unbiased in that regard.

Reactions: Steelers71
OK. So they're not rich.....which mean you can't throw the "tuition" excuse around anymore because you proved that tuition doesn't always play a factor in who can "afford" to go to Catholic. There is still access to a bigger area than public schools. It's very simple.

Listen, Burns, to my knowledge hasn't been affected by Catholic much in the past. Our paths haven't crossed that much. So my opinion is pretty unbiased in that regard.

Actually you can because the vast majority of people have your mindset and believe that they can't afford it or they are unwilling to make a sacrifice for their kids, either by loans or by reduction of expenses.

The bottom line is that the parochial schools are in full compliance of the rules established by the member schools.

See I am not the only one. LOL

My comment is about open enrollment within Forsyth County. Every LEA can elect to have open enrollment and its well within the rules. I never claim that any of these schools recruit because recruiting is not within the rules.

Don’t drag me in to your spat with SportsNut. You are bullying him and I want no part of that.

Got one here in Cleveland County growing by 25 percent a year. They just built a new campus and I bet will start football in the next few years .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT