ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Read on NCHSAA numbers are shocking

YoungGun1952

Jan 11, 2018

"The NCHSAA, while “technically” a “non-profit” organization, relies upon funds generated by member schools in order to pay salaries, administrative/operating costs, etc. It should also be noted that the NCHSAA in the fiscal year ending 2014 generated revenues of $7,192,590. After all expenses were paid, they were left with exactly $2,031,116 bringing their total asset value (net worth) to $33,328,318."

wow. i had no idea all that was happening in the 1a ranks.it certainly appears that the charter n magnet schools have a huge advantage. i think they should play in leagues of their own or they should all play in the 4 aa class.

wow. i had no idea all that was happening in the 1a ranks.it certainly appears that the charter n magnet schools have a huge advantage. i think they should play in leagues of their own or they should all play in the 4 aa class.
In 2012, when everyone was trying to kick out the parochial schools (all three of them) btango came on here and said the charter schools were the real problem. Fast forward 6 years and look what you've got now, charter schools are popping up left and right and causing issues in 1A....but everyone still seems to have their minds on the three Parochial schools.

I saw it but the problem with charters shouldnt trump parochial school issues. Both neef addressed.

If Catholic were 4A like Cardinal Gibbons there would be one complaint, Bishop McGuiness in 1A.

I think CG may become an issue as there are few string private school football programs in Raleigh while Charlotte has four great private schools and a couple of strong programs within a short drive of Catholic.

Back in 2012 when that vote occurred, at least half of the needed AD's didn't even vote. It is terrible for the 1A basketball coaches and programs. Eventually the NCHSAA may do something IF the public school AD's/ Principals/Coaches demand a level playing field. With the exception of East Carteret in 2015, I think the last 8 1A Boys State Championships have been won by Charter schools. That is not a level playing field. Those schools can and do recruit. Don't care what anybody says.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Back in 2012 when that vote occurred, at least half of the needed AD's didn't even vote. It is terrible for the 1A basketball coaches and programs. Eventually the NCHSAA may do something IF the public school AD's/ Principals/Coaches demand a level playing field. With the exception of East Carteret in 2015, I think the last 8 1A Boys State Championships have been won by Charter schools. That is not a level playing field. Those schools can and do recruit. Don't care what anybody says.
Another example of the Charters being the bigger problem. And guess what Steelers71, by the time you've read this post 2 more Charters have probably been started.

Yep. You're right. Charters are a bigger problem than your wonderful parochial school.

If they recruit, why hasn't anyone turned these schools in? I think there's an appearance of recruiting but I have no evidence whatsoever that recruiting exists.

WS Prep is not a charter. It is a magnet school. Much different but results in the same issue for 1A hoops.

If they recruit, why hasn't anyone turned these schools in? I think there's an appearance of recruiting but I have no evidence whatsoever that recruiting exists.
Because you have to be able to prove recruiting. These schools don't have to actively recruit. Their reputation for winning attracts parents to move there. Or find an address in the area. Charter schools don't have a district, nor do private schools. Did not know WS Prep is a magnet school from WS schools. Learn something new everyday. They still have an advantage because they don't have a defined district to pull kids from.

I would be fine with WS Prep if their academic house was in order.

What Steelers71 stated is my point: you have got to have proof. The best recruiters are reputation and other athletes.

I would be fine with WS Prep if their academic house was in order.

I agree but not at the 1A level. The basketball teams that they do or have fielded are the equivalent of very good 4A teams most seasons.

WS Preps academic have been horrific but it was supposed to be a "college prep" school.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Yep. You're right. Charters are a bigger problem than your wonderful parochial school.
Now why not have Charters play up to 2A or 3A? Think that could help? I mean I have no issue with the parochials playing up either for the record

ADM multiplier maybe, I think you’d have to look at some other states and see who does it and how it’s done cause it would push some 2A teams into 1A and 3A teams into 2A

This is what people miss! When there are a dozen or so schools moved up a dozen or so move down.

There are a lot of options with the realignments that could allow for various architecture of the classifications. The most simple may be to leave the classifications as they are (1A-4A) but with 1A move the schools into a "non traditional" class for all sports other than football. Football is the wildcard as there are so few charter football programs but there are public schools that have non district players and in some cases they are game changers or several or starters so what is "traditional" is the big question. If WS Prep placed great emphasis on football and got the right coach could they be a force in 1A? Yes but it would be tougher than in basketball.

Reactions: Champ_24
Winston-Salem Prep is neither a charter school or a parochial school. Not sure how you would address that issue.

Not all parochial and charter schools place the same emphasis on sports. Some charters don't place much emphasis at all on sports. Not sure if a multiplier would help or hurt.

Winston-Salem Prep is neither a charter school or a parochial school. Not sure how you would address that issue.

Not all parochial and charter schools place the same emphasis on sports. Some charters don't place much emphasis at all on sports. Not sure if a multiplier would help or hurt.

WS Prep is a county wide magnet that provides transportation and lunch which charters do not do. I expect if a student lived outside Forsyth County but was willing to pay the county portion of their cost (tuition) they could also attend.

I agree with you Lake. It is hard to paint all the charters with one brush. Gray Stone on the campus of Pfeiffer College is a high achieving academic school but the athletics in the country club sports has improved dramatically. They could have kept it repressed but a little more emphasis can make a lot of difference.

WS Prep is a county wide magnet that provides transportation and lunch which charters do not do. I expect if a student lived outside Forsyth County but was willing to pay the county portion of their cost (tuition) they could also attend.

I agree with you Lake. It is hard to paint all the charters with one brush. Gray Stone on the campus of Pfeiffer College is a high achieving academic school but the athletics in the country club sports has improved dramatically. They could have kept it repressed but a little more emphasis can make a lot of difference.

You can't honestly justify placing a school like Gray Stone to 2A and keep W-S Prep at 1A.

Yes. They all have an advantage over traditional schools. They have free reign on students. I interviewed for a football job at a charter school. I asked about how hard is it for students to get in. They told me, we can usually make it work. Not a problem. That is an advantage to recruiting athletes to your school.

Yes. They all have an advantage over traditional schools. They have free reign on students. I interviewed for a football job at a charter school. I asked about how hard is it for students to get in. They told me, we can usually make it work. Not a problem. That is an advantage to recruiting athletes to your school.
What about a school like Mallard Creek that gets tons of new transfers every year or Hough who has seen a flurry of them. You complain about a school like CC that has had 1 transfer student play football in 5 years, yet public schools get new crops of kids every year...

I dunno about this advantage being the same for all charter schools. Some charters have advantages...some don’t. Just because one charter school told you that does not mean the same holds true for all charter schools.

Reactions: shutdownD24
What about a school like Mallard Creek that gets tons of new transfers every year or Hough who has seen a flurry of them. You complain about a school like CC that has had 1 transfer student play football in 5 years, yet public schools get new crops of kids every year...

Yep! What is good for the goose is good for the gander!

I dunno about this advantage being the same for all charter schools. Some charters have advantages...some don’t. Just because one charter school told you that does not mean the same holds true for all charter schools.
True. They are still not limited to district lines, which means kids can go there if they want to.

I don't recall saying anything about CC getting transfers. I'm sure they do though. Hough has become a player apparently due to their players getting other kids to join them. Schools that win will get new students every year. It's the nature of the beast. I really have no issue with that. Coaches got to go out and show illegal residency issues if they have to. My belief is the NCHSAA needs to do something to help the public 1A schools have a better opportunity to win championships vs. Prep, charter, and private schools. There is an inequity there.

Reactions: shutdownD24
True. They are still not limited to district lines, which means kids can go there if they want to.

I don't recall saying anything about CC getting transfers. I'm sure they do though. Hough has become a player apparently due to their players getting other kids to join them. Schools that win will get new students every year. It's the nature of the beast. I really have no issue with that. Coaches got to go out and show illegal residency issues if they have to. My belief is the NCHSAA needs to do something to help the public 1A schools have a better opportunity to win championships vs. Prep, charter, and private schools. There is an inequity there.
As someone who is closer to CC than anyone who posts on this board I ran the numbers with Brodowicz and we found only one kid I believe who transferred in him while in HS meaning they were at another HS and came to Catholic. So no we do not get transfers, that was over the last 4-5 years as well. Maybe we missed one but it's no more than 1-2.

To me, it's not about "recruiting"or "transfers." Parochial schools have a bigger area to draw from. That's the "unfair" part. I don't believe Catholic recruits at all. But you can go an hour in any direction from the school and be in their "district." All other schools have about a 20 minute perimeter.

To me, it's not about "recruiting"or "transfers." Parochial schools have a bigger area to draw from. That's the "unfair" part. I don't believe Catholic recruits at all. But you can go an hour in any direction from the school and be in their "district." All other schools have about a 20 minute perimeter.

Finally a reasonable person.

Lets look at all of the facts. Will every family pay the tuition to send their kids to a parochial school? No. Can a kid receiving tuition assistance play athletics at a parochial school? No.

This has been a point of reason with the Association for years. These facts offset a good portion of this "unfair" part you described. While your point has merit, there are boundaries established that offset your concerns.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT