ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Read on NCHSAA numbers are shocking

YoungGun1952

Jan 11, 2018

"The NCHSAA, while “technically” a “non-profit” organization, relies upon funds generated by member schools in order to pay salaries, administrative/operating costs, etc. It should also be noted that the NCHSAA in the fiscal year ending 2014 generated revenues of $7,192,590. After all expenses were paid, they were left with exactly $2,031,116 bringing their total asset value (net worth) to $33,328,318."

If the NCHSAA forms another division for the charters I do not believe that the 1A football playoffs should be subdivided. Let the small 1A schools duke it out with the Eastern powers in the state.

There are not many charter schools that play football. Add in WS Prep and Bishop to the mix and still not enough for a football classification.

All other sports could be separated out.

Should 1A not be all schools that do not allow students that live outside of the district to play sports? True “traditional community” schools. There could be a few exceptions such as students that lived in the district and moved or the parent teaches there.

1A Traditional and 1A Open. 1A Open plays 2A in football and there is no subdivided playoff for 1A.

If the NCHSAA forms another division for the charters I do not believe that the 1A football playoffs should be subdivided. Let the small 1A schools duke it out with the Eastern powers in the state.
Bishop also has feeder schools in Guilford County so that expands them even more.

Split 2a if the state allows a open class. Leave 1a alone

Last edited:
Nothing written here I haven't seen or heard before, just more concisely. The 800 pound gorilla in the room that was left out beyond the paragraph concerning the increasing popularity of charter/magnets. N.C. currently has a legislature that would love nothing more than to force the NCHSAA to accept the charters at all levels as equals and even more galling, allow home schoolers to participate in public school activities. The NCHSAA has to play along to forstall even more drastic action being forced upon them.

The bitching about split divisions is lazy research. As stated ad nauseum, the 1A coaches voted that in and the rest followed suit afterward. Blame them.

1a beeds split.
Andrews 200 kids
Some 1a schools have 750.
Thats nearly a 80% difference. 2a and 3a dont have a gap close to 1a.

Reactions: MRC3
1a beeds split.
Andrews 200 kids
Some 1a schools have 750.
Thats nearly a 80% difference. 2a and 3a dont have a gap close to 1a.

If they go to a "community only" 1A classification I think you will see some schools that will no longer be 1A. Would think 1A would become a group of smaller schools.

There must be a line drawn somewhere. The number of 400 student enrollment has been mentioned before as the 1A classification which would leave a very small group for the football playoffs. One thing I do not want to see is more champions added especially in football. Currently there is a trophy for every 47 schools. I think the do need to reevaluate the classification breakdown for next realignment regardless of where the charters are placed.

Get rid of 2a and 3a split then add a non traditional league. That makes 7 unstead of 8.

You have to draw a line somewhere, but it doesn't have to be percentage based. Set an upper number that is fair, and if there aren't many schools, there aren't many schools. The smaller schools are pretty well geographically grouped anyway.

Get rid of 2a and 3a split then add a non traditional league. That makes 7 unstead of 8.

There are 117 in 2A and 3A. 68 football schools in 1A and 4A. Do not think taking the split from 2A and 3A would be very sensible. Five rounds with 32 teams.

I thought 1A and 4A should have had the most schools and subdivided. 2A and 3A with less schools and no subdividing. I am interested in any other sports being subdivided.

The post above about the state legislature's role in this is spot on. However, moving those charters to their own separate classification may not cause a problem with the legislature. If you really want something done, push for their removal without bringing other issues into it. When you do that, you water down the complaint--which is a valid one.

Reactions: The Lake Man
I dont care how many is in 2a or 3a. They are all around the same size. 1a plays teams triple there size. 1a needs split. Or just a set number like 450 or round about.

Reactions: MRC3
I dont care how many is in 2a or 3a. They are all around the same size. 1a plays teams triple there size. 1a needs split. Or just a set number like 450 or round about.
Even in 2A, the difference between the smallest and largest schools is about 400. That's about the same as in 1A. Certainly the difference is greater from a percentage standpoint. But 400 more or less kids is huge regardless of 1A or 2A.

5 classifications with no sub-class and a set cutoff number makes the most sense to me. Although, as it has been alluded to before, conference realignment would be an absolute nightmare with the current system. A solution could be doing away with classes in conference play, just having schools vote on what conference they want to be a part of, regardless of school size, have a set number of conferences with X amount of teams, say 7, and let the numbers be used for playoff alignment. I am not in close with anyone in the NCHSAA, so I don't know how feasible this is. Another point would be for non-traditionals to play up 1 class in the playoffs.

No classes. Create your own conferences based on where you live. Power rate your wins based on enrollment only. i.e. a school A (enrollment 250) beats school B (enrollment 500)....gets 2 points. Team B wins equals 1/2 point. Create a data base with this. At the end of the season, rank all the teams in the state. Take the enrollments of the top 256 and cut them equally into 4 groups (5A, 4A, 3a, 2a). Then seed based on the power rating. The remaining schools with percents under the top 256...take the top 16 and create a 1A champion.

Sleehrat, you just added another football champion and 48 teams as compared to 2017 playoff plan. Would prefer we reduce champions and qualifying teams not add more.

Sleehrat, you just added another football champion and 48 teams as compared to 2017 playoff plan. Would prefer we reduce champions and qualifying teams not add more.

We surely don't need another state championship!

No classes. Create your own conferences based on where you live. Power rate your wins based on enrollment only. i.e. a school A (enrollment 250) beats school B (enrollment 500)....gets 2 points. Team B wins equals 1/2 point. Create a data base with this. At the end of the season, rank all the teams in the state. Take the enrollments of the top 256 and cut them equally into 4 groups (5A, 4A, 3a, 2a). Then seed based on the power rating. The remaining schools with percents under the top 256...take the top 16 and create a 1A champion.

Done that before. The WNCHSAA has no classifications and it died.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT