ADVERTISEMENT

How is West Charlotte 3A?

NCFB73

Jan 23, 2024
I believe they have over 1600 students at WCHS. Why are they not 4A? Don’t they fall right in the middle of the 4A numbers? Just curious after seeing them going back and forth with Independence High today!

• Haha
Reactions: Crestuff
When they did realignment 4 years ago I believe their numbers were lower. And this alignment was not based solely on enrollment. But took into account free and reduced lunch numbers and Wachovia Cup point standings.

They play teams with 1000. Hard to beat numbers!
Well they struggle at most sports except football. Guess the numbers didn't help much in soccer, baseball, track, basketball, and all womens sports. Garinger is one of the largest HS in the state so is East Meck. Numbers arent everything. You have to look at the school as whole. When WC was 4A playing with 3A numbers no one cared.

Well they struggle at most sports except football. Guess the numbers didn't help much in soccer, baseball, track, basketball, and all womens sports. Garinger is one of the largest HS in the state so is East Meck. Numbers arent everything. You have to look at the school as whole. When WC was 4A playing with 3A numbers no one cared.
Actually West Charlotte won the 3A state championship in basketball in their first year in 3A. I understand what you saying but when you do have everything in place to be successful those numbers become a huge advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
Actually West Charlotte won the 3A state championship in basketball in their first year in 3A. I understand what you saying but when you do have everything in place to be successful those numbers become a huge advantage.
They also lost the 4A state title 3 years prior and have 6 or 7 4A bball ships.They were highly irrelevant last year and won't be much better this year. Besides football with Greiner and the b ball ship WC has been completely irrelevant in all sports overall even at 3A level.

To me adm is about 30% with 70% being culture and talent pool. WC biggest advantage now is the CMS crackdown, being top football Westside school and the IB feeder middleschools being great at sports.

They also lost the 4A state title 3 years prior and have 6 or 7 4A bball ships.They were highly irrelevant last year and won't be much better this year. Besides football with Greiner and the b ball ship WC has been completely irrelevant in all sports overall even at 3A level.

To me adm is about 30% with 70% being culture and talent pool. WC biggest advantage now is the CMS crackdown, being top football Westside school and the IB feeder middleschools being great at sports.
When WC lost their basketball coach their program tanked. Their new bb coaching staff has struggled with retaining talent.
I believe the upgrade in football facilities especially the weight room upgrades has benefited WC football along with the CMS crackdown on residency.

When WC lost their basketball coach their program tanked. Their new bb coaching staff has struggled with retaining talent.
I believe the upgrade in football facilities especially the weight room upgrades has benefited WC football along with the CMS crackdown on residency.
Agree on facilities/residency.

Terry left a while ago though. Davis lost the 4A ship and won the 3A ship. Maybe the further away from Terry they go the worst they will get. Losing Traylor, Kerr and Houston was a killer. 3 all conference players. But then again they had all 3 year before and lost 14 games so u could be right.

A couple of the Charlotte privates have been pretty active with public school kids this off-season. I am waiting to see how many they actually pluck.

A couple of the Charlotte privates have been pretty active with public school kids this off-season. I am waiting to see how many they actually pluck.
Well folks that moaned about Que where are u at now? The hypocrisy with the takeover of the NCHSAA is overwhelming. We will see more of this unfortunately until publics have access to NIL

Well folks that moaned about Que where are u at now? The hypocrisy with the takeover of the NCHSAA is overwhelming. We will see more of this unfortunately until publics have access to NIL
I don’t know how much NIL is driving kids leaving this upcoming season for privates but there definitely seems to be a whole lot more contact with public kids this current off-season. The last few years Providence Day, Christ School in Asheville, and Rabun Gap have been super aggressive about trying to get kids to their schools. My initial thoughts were Charlotte Christian and a few others were following the lead of Providence Day in getting active to compete. I forgot about the NIL aspect in all this.

I don’t know how much NIL is driving kids leaving this upcoming season for privates but there definitely seems to be a whole lot more contact with public kids this current off-season. The last few years Providence Day, Christ School in Asheville, and Rabun Gap have been super aggressive about trying to get kids to their schools. My initial thoughts were Charlotte Christian and a few others were following the lead of Providence Day in getting active to compete. I forgot about the NIL aspect in all this.
Looks like Samari pulled his site. Also this transfer right after the public NIL was denied. Looks like the public guys were hoping it passed but it didnt. Ruling was June 6. So it makes sense NIl involved.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Looks like Samari pulled his site. Also this transfer right after the public NIL was denied. Looks like the public guys were hoping it passed but it didnt. Ruling was June 6. So it makes sense NIl involved.
I am sure that whoever is speaking to these kids and parents have definitely pitched the NIL aspect of it. I think when publics start losing their best players and those same kids mention NIL being the deciding factor in leaving, we will all see pressure being put back on the association and legislators to do something.

I am sure that whoever is speaking to these kids and parents have definitely pitched the NIL aspect of it. I think when publics start losing their best players and those same kids mention NIL being the deciding factor in leaving, we will all see pressure being put back on the association and legislators to do something.
The Association voted to allow. When they were taken over the new regime/oversight disallowed it. Now private can openly recruit public and have NIL as major weapon. Even at 1k to 2k a season combined with a great free education it would be hard to turn down.

The Association voted to allow. When they were taken over the new regime/oversight disallowed it. Now private can openly recruit public and have NIL as major weapon. Even at 1k to 2k a season combined with a great free education it would be hard to turn down.
I am hearing stories about Gaffney High School using NIL effectively every since the state of SC lawmakers modified their policy to allow it. I was hearing that Gaffney had almost twenty transfers to their football program between January and the end of their school year. Not sure if this was all NIL related but it probably doesn’t hurt their cause.

I am hearing stories about Gaffney High School using NIL effectively every since the state of SC lawmakers modified their policy to allow it. I was hearing that Gaffney had almost twenty transfers to their football program between January and the end of their school year. Not sure if this was all NIL related but it probably doesn’t hurt their cause.
I have an inside contact when it comes to Gaffney and it's some true, wild stories. The article about Crest in the paper was something else also. lol

Reactions: shutdownD24
I have an inside contact when it comes to Gaffney and it's some true, wild stories. The article about Crest in the paper was something else also. lol
I’ve heard some wild stories also with Gaffney and NIL. Yeah I seen that newspaper article 😂. Gaffney is still pissed about what happened.

With that many transfers coming into Gaffney you gotta wonder how many could be plotting a move to get out.

That's got to mess with team continuity.
I know there maybe some bad feelings from those that thought they had the next spot would happen.
Having known and dealt with the transfer situation in high school sports, I don't think it affects chemistry that much. In situations I know of, it was players (stars/starters) that actually did the recruiting for others (stars/starters) to come fill spots so they can get better as a team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT