ADVERTISEMENT

Hoggard vs Clinton next week, your thoughts

Darkhorse04

Dec 5, 2006
was reaching out to all the hogged supporters just seeing what u guys thought about this matchup.

Darkhorse
How is the d-lineman that hurt his knee. Clinton has to stop the running back for Hoggard. Shut down the run and they could be in trouble if forced to pass.

It was our LB and he should be good to go. I'll give you a quick run down on us. Sophomore QB, 3-5 very talented RB's, one especially. We don't throw it much but can if we need/want to. We have a lot of athletes but we are young and relatively small on the Oline. DLine has 2 300lbers at the tackle spots, we want you to throw because our back 7 especially corners and safeties are very fast and athletic. We have a good kicking game although we rarely kick FG's just XP's. Should be a good crowd traveling down, excited to play a 4A school. Beat Laney last year. That's about all I got.

I'm a Dark Horse '78. If New Hanover was not playing Scotland County I would be there. Will be cheering them on in spirit. Hope Skinner has a big night!!!

According to a regular Hoggard poster they have are down 3 players on defense who would be starters and my understanding is their best cover DB has a sprained ankle.

As you can tell by my screen name I am not a Hoggard supporter but I might suggest that in a normal year, Clinton would not want Hoggard to throw the ball. This year it doesn't seem like Hoggard's passing game is on par with some of their previous QB's and receivers - at least not yet.

If I had to note a major difference between 4A and 2A it would the the sophistication and execution of the passing attack. If you recall the New Hanover - WR-H game from 3 years ago it was a no contest. WR-H had no answer for the Cats passing game. If Clinton wants to guarantee a victory, they will need to put pressure on the QB and also stop the running game. If they don't pressure the QB the Vikings running game is sufficient to give the Horses some problems. I think Clinton will have to pass the ball with success or Hoggard will stack the box and slow the run. Of course it stands to reason the Vikings should be fresher in the 4th quarter if the game is close.

All in all, it's probably a good year for 2A Clinton to play the Vikings as they seem to be in a slightly down year.

I am interested to see the results of this weeks game with Charlotte Christian.

Clinton 24-7 Their defense could be compared to SWO's a couple years ago. Too much speed for anyone to break a long one or pass with consistency. If Sasser is doing the passing and they are forced to pass the ball a lot, there may be 1 or 2 pick 6's. His spiral is not tight and the ball tends to hang a little.

Can Hoggard stop our run game and force us to pass. Can we stop Hoggards run game forcing them to pass, unless they like to pass then its the opposite. Clinton has played 2 run heavy teams their first 2 weeks, SWO threw once and it was an INT, and SSS threw maybe 4-5x and one was a pick 6, the others were all incomplete, so while Clinton's secondary is fast and athletic,it hasn't been tested so far. Looking forward to this game.

If nothing else it will get you ready for the playoffs. Never hurts to play tough competition non-conference.

If Clinton is going to run on the Vikes they will have to get the edge. Hoggard D line is strong and deep and the LB's are very disciplined but not very fast or big. Hoggard will look to throw 12-18 times unless they don't need too. They ran very well against PF and probably planed to pass more but didn't need too. Hoggard faced an all conference RB against 71st and really held him in check except for 2 long runs. He finished with150 and had 95 on 2 carries. They face another all conference RB tonight. Lets see how they do tonight then focus on the Dark Horses.

Hoggards run defense was great against CC. CC beat Hoggard on 3 long passes early in the game and Hoggard shut them down the rest of the way but the damage had been done. Clinton is a great team and they have great runner but I don't see them beating Hoggard unless they can have success throwing the ball. Hoggard offense really struggled but CC has a great defense. They held Char Catholic to 5 point and MB to 3 points and Weddington to 16. All 3 teams are ranked. The question for Hoggard is can they clean up the penalties and prevent the big plays that have really hurt them. If they can make Clinton drive the field and play clean on offense they should win the game.

Only problem I see for us is depth I'm expecting s close game and Hoggard will bee fresher in the 4th I doubt y'all have anyone playing both ways.....If we can jump out to a big lead that would help and our offense is very capable of doing so and slow LBs??? Good luck containing #22...we also have the ability to score quickly on special teams.....and I agree with DH 04 please pass we got athletes/ball hawks in the secondary that will make you pay

Not guaranteeing a win Clinton will need to play a complete game and hope for some Hoggard miscues but don't expect this small 2A school to bow down cause your 4A.....looking forward to the battle on Shipyard Blvd

Clinton may be favored to win this game. No one around here is expecting anything other than a very tough game Friday night. I know Skinner is special and he may come in here and have his way. Hoggard has faced 2 very good RB this season. Underwood fro 71st is 2nd in the state in rushing. He had 2 long runs against hoggard for 95 of his 150 yards. Those yards count but they bottled him up the whole night. CC's Elijah Deveaux who is going to Duke had nothing. Hoggard doesnt have anyone going both ways but I wish they would.

Raheem Skinner while an amazing athlete isn't clinton's only offensive weapon, However these games are normally won and lost in the trenches and we don't have a lot of size on the Oline. Dline isn't as bad as far as size goes. Stop Skinner and you may win, or you may see someone else step it up, Haven't really been tested yet. Don't know what this team will do with backs against the wall. Skinner did only have 3 carries in his last game and scored on all of them. Shortest run was 7yards, longest was like 60yrds.

Hoggard is also going thru some growing pains with their new coaches. Hoggard lost their 18 years head coach and their defensive cord from the last 8. Clinton has one of the best ever on their sidelines.

If Hoggard is anything like they have been the last 3 years it will be a good game. South Columbus beat Hoggard in 2010 and 2011, South was not as strong as usual but still managed to defeat a couple of "down" Viking teams. When Hoggard got back to what I would call at least an "normal" Viking team, it was no match. Pretty much dominated Stallions next 3 years, really showed how a well coached 4A team is extremely difficult to defeat even by a 2A or 1A powerhouse. Hoggard does seem to be a little down with injuries but a new coach also brings in a new element. South Columbus is still looking like they are playing scrimmage games going into week 5. Doesn't really matter how long a coach has been an asst. when he becomes head coach, he could be a bust as good as anybody. Just have to wait and see how it works out. Best of luck to both teams!!

Hoggard jumps out to a 24-7 halftime lead and hold on to beat Clinton 24-21. Good win for Hoggard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT