ADVERTISEMENT

Hoggard @ NH

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
Hoggard travels across town Friday to take on NH. The winner of this game may be the conference champion. Hoggard is coming into the game on a two game winning streak and a 3-3 record after a tough non conf scd with a SOS of 15 in 4A. NH comes into,this game struggling. They have been pounded by two of the best teams in the state and struggle to beat a bad PS team Monday. NH SOS is 10 in 4A.
This will come down to the passing game for NH. I don't see NH running on the Vikes. If Hoggard contains the passing game they win. Hoggard offense has improved each week and should be able to move and score on the wildcats. Should be a great crowd if the rain holds off.

Port,
Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself about how good Hoggard is!!!!

New Hanover and Hoggard have played a total of 51 games since 1968.

All time record: New Hanover leads 26-25
Playoff games: Hoggard 3-1
Longest win streaks: New Hanover - 10 (1978-1987)
Hoggard - 17 (1996-2010) playoff games included
Biggest wins: New Hanover 52-7 (1994)
Hoggard 45-7 (2006)

Last edited:
New Hanover and Hoggard have played a total of 51 games since 1968.

All time record: New Hanover leads 27-24
Playoff games: Hoggard 3-1
Longest win streaks: New Hanover - 12 (1976-1987)
Hoggard - 17 (1996-2010) playoff games included
Biggest wins: New Hanover 52-7 (1994)
Hoggard 45-7 (2006)

From 1976-1979 (4 games) New Hanover held Hoggard scoreless

The above contains some incorrect info. Hoggard won the 1977 matchup 7-0. New Hanover leads series 26-25. Longest NH win streak 10 games and no 4 year NH scoreless streak exists, but NH did hold Hoggard to 8 points or less in all games(12) from 76-87, which is more impressive IMO.

Thanks T Roy C for the information and the corrections have been made. Hoggard won that game in 1977 with a fourth quarter touchdown pass and a goal line stand to seal the victory. Ray Durham was a great coach and hated to see him go to Jacksonville.

Game moved to Monday. I have heard the JV game will be played Monday as well. Double headed.

Hey port
Good story on WECT about Braswell. It sounds like he may not be finished coaching. How is that being perceived on Shipyard? Almost makes it sound like Underwood is a placeholder?

Star News did a good right up on Braswell as well. He really needed to take a year off and get ahead of this. The job is Underwoods unless he loses it or if he steps down. That will probably not happen. I think he will keep the ball rolling at Hoggard. If Braswell coaches again it will probably be in SC or GA.

Port
Good thing game was moved to Monday since NH can't run the ball on the Vikes. If it rains should NH just forfeit and save the embarrassment since NH can't run and can only move the ball throwing. Hope NH is praying for clear skies!!!!

Port
Good thing game was moved to Monday since NH can't run the ball on the Vikes. If it rains should NH just forfeit and save the embarrassment since NH can't run and can only move the ball throwing. Hope NH is praying for clear skies!!!!
Do you think NH has a better rushing attack than CC, Clinton, or 71st?

Probably. 5 senior starters. Hopefully the Vikes will prepare for NH to throw the ball 50 times.

Should be a great game!! Not sure Hanover will be able to run on Hoggard though..

Last edited:
Congrats to NH on the 30-13 win. The better team won tonight. NH came out with more energy and took what the Vikes gave them. I thought NH out coached Hoggard as well. Too many mistakes in all three phases tonight. Waltson was a beast. I thought NH would score in this game but I thought Hoggards offense was now clicking and would score more. NH controls their fate now.

I think Hoggard was definitely more dangerous with Jones at QB. Williams being hurt definitely affected your pass defense. It was painful watching him try to play.

He really tried to gut it out. He is our best secondary player. He didn't hurt us as much as guys losing Walston out in coverage. Four or five times he made catches and no one was near him. He's the best player on the field and we lose him. I also thought it was a poor decision to put two defenders on three WR bunch. Too easy, toss and catch.

Port
I think the question was answered if NH was able to run on Hoggard. Most effective was quick hitter up the middle. Big holes were there. Slow developing counter plays were defended well.

Port
I think the question was answered if NH was able to run on Hoggard. Most effective was quick hitter up the middle. Big holes were there. Slow developing counter plays were defended well.
I do not in any way want to diminish NH effort. I never said NH would have no rushing yards. NH was 14-19 in the passing game and that is what I was concerned with and that was the difference. I thought Hoggard played the running game well. NH had a few good gains on run plays which Hoggard has given up in every game. I thought NH def effort was very good. They were prepared and knew what Hoggard was going to do and stayed discipline.

Hopefully you fond a quarterback. I think Jones is the QB of the future and will only get better with experience. Tough game to get that experience last night.

Hopefully you fond a quarterback. I think Jones is the QB of the future and will only get better with experience. Tough game to get that experience last night.
Jones looked good and Sasser had his toughest game. However, over the course of the season Jones has not handled pressure nearly as well as Sasser. There has been some games where Jones didn't throw well. Jones is a better runner for sure but Sasser will still be the starter. He did take a big hit and that's why he did not return. Hopefully he is ok.

Jones looked good and Sasser had his toughest game. However, over the course of the season Jones has not handled pressure nearly as well as Sasser. There has been some games where Jones didn't throw well. Jones is a better runner for sure but Sasser will still be the starter. He did take a big hit and that's why he did not return. Hopefully he is ok.
Looks like the QB change has happened. Jones appears to give Hoggard the best chance to win. Any word on why Williams didn't play at DB against Laney. Hope no lingering injuries from NH game. He was hobbling pretty good throughout the game.

Williams has a hurt knee. He probably will not play any more during the regular season. Hopefully he will be able to go after that. Jones did look good against Laney. Competition is a good thing and both these guys will push each other everyday in practice. Dykes did not play either as he is dealing with a concussion from the NH game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT