ADVERTISEMENT

Hoggard @ 71st

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
Hoggard travels to Fayetteville to take on a very good Falcon team. Both teams are coming off 1 loss seasons a year ago and both won in week one. The Falcons are lead by the all conference RB (Underwood). The Vikings are lead by their defense. The winner of this battle will probably win the game. Underwood rushed for 250 plus last week against Northern. The Vikings held HS to under 150 yards and only allowed a FG after an int deep in Hoggard territory. Should be a great game. I would give the edge to 71st. Hoggard is 19-1 in non conf regular season games since the 2011 season. There only loss was to WF.

Simmons has Hoggard rated ahead of 71st. Given that 71st is at home on paper should be a coin flip.

From what I am hearing from coaches, 71st is a very good looking team. They lost a lot from last year but it looks like they have reloaded.

It will be interesting to see if Hoggard can do what they want too on offense. This team is going to throw the ball more than last season. The rain really kept them from doing that last week. Hoggard was running the ball well from the 2 qrt on and that's really what they needed to do. HS couldn't move the ball and a pick 6 is exactly what they needed to pull the upset.

The Vikings will definitely find out what they are made of. Holly Springs was probably not a great measuring stick for that defense.

Port,
Reading the Star News Article about the Hoggard/Holly Springs last week made it sound like Sasser was the star with 2 touchdown passes. However, when you look at the photos most I saw had Jones quarterbacking in the 1st and 2nd half. Did they split time who got most of the snaps.
I was impressed with Jones when I saw him.

Port,
Reading the Star News Article about the Hoggard/Holly Springs last week made it sound like Sasser was the star with 2 touchdown passes. However, when you look at the photos most I saw had Jones quarterbacking in the 1st and 2nd half. Did they split time who got most of the snaps.
I was impressed with Jones when I saw him.

Each QB threw a TD pass. Sasser started the game and the second half and they alternated poss. Sasser was 5-6 for 44 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. Jones was 6-12 for 43 yards and 1 TD. I think the coaches will continue this pattern until one guy pushes ahead of the other or if one gets injured. Both QB are accurate and understand thee system.

Port, is there any hurry to pick a QB? Didn't Hoggard have a similar situation a couple years ago? As far as the game .... Great match up between a great running game and solid defense.

Port, is there any hurry to pick a QB? Didn't Hoggard have a similar situation a couple years ago? As far as the game .... Great match up between a great running game and solid defense.

Different situation than a few years ago. Both of these guys are neck n neck with each other. I honestly think the coaches don't know who will be better. They will have to wait and see.

I was at the Hoggard vs Holly springs game Friday night and Star-News got it right. Sasser had both of the touchdowns for Hoggard

Hanover JV 14 Hoggard JV 7. Hoggard drove down to the 15 in last 2 minutes but couldn't score. All you could want when Vikings and Cats meet. Close game. Round 2 in a few weeks at Shipyard.

Looks like good weather tonight for the game. I think this comes down to 71st running and Hoggard run defense. The Vikes have faced some great running backs over the past 3 seasons and have done well against them. Tonight they face another great back. 71st did what they wanted against a weak ND team last week, maybe they are just that good or maybe it was poor defense. Hoggard is dealing with some injuries to def lineman and their fastest WR. I think if Hoggard can contain the run game they win, if not they lose. Should be fun.

These teams have quite a history that dates back to 1973. They have played 13 times with Hoggard wining 9 and losing 4, including 2 Viking playoff wins in 2004 & 2005.

73 Hoggard 21-20
74 Hoggard 17-13
75 71st 13-10 knocked Hoggard out of playoff contention
76 Hoggard 7-6
77 Hoggard 16-7
78 Hoggard 7-0
94 71st 31-0 was endowment game
04 Hoggard 13-0 (1st round playoff) played in rainstorm
05 Hoggard 21-13 (1st round playoff)
09 71st 14-11
10 71st 30-0
11 Hoggard 27-14 played 1 day earlier due to approaching Hurricane
12 Hoggard 38-6 Most lopsided game in series

Lots of lower scoring games in this series and I'll go with another one. My prediction, 71st 19 Hoggard 14

I understand Hoggard has run into more Legal problems with their defensive stars. Before the season started they lost a defensive back star who was not allowed to play at Hoggard as the result of an assault charge plea bargain. He is currently playing for Ashley and my understanding is not able to play in the Hoggard game since it is at Hoggard. now I understand one of the key linebackers is out until 3 misdimeanor charges are resolved. He has not played in the first 2 games is what I have heard. Maybe a chink in this vaunted defense?

Congrats to 71st, they have a fine team. Underwood is a great RB and Ukhueligbe is a beast. They have him listed at 235 and that is wrong, he is at least 250. The better team won Friday but Hoggard had their chances to steal this game. Hoggard was down 12-7 with 4 mins left in the game and had the ball inside the 71st 30. Hoggard throws a TD pass, but its called back on a questionable holding call. Hoggard doesn't score and 71st hits few big plays and scores again to finish off the Vikes. Hoggard will go thru some growing pains without Braswell. Dimick struggled at times getting the play in and cost the Vikes 2 delay pen and rushed the offense other times. I think that contributed to Hoggards not getting into any kind of rythum in the 2nd half. They were predictable. They had a good drive on their last poss getting stopped on the 1 on the last play of the game. Hoggard offense has a long way to go. Their O line isn't doing bad but they aren't consistent either. Hoggard is missing their fastest WR who hasn't played this year due to hamstring problems. Hoggard continued to alternate QB but there was a big difference this game. 71st brought a lot of pressure and Jones did not handled it nearly as well as Sasser. Jones made a bad pitch were he had 10 yards of open field and that play turned the momentum to 71st. He also took off backwards when pressured in the pocket. Sasser took many shots as he stayed in the pocket and made the passes. The defense really hung in and kept Hoggard in the game. Andrews did not make the game and he was sorely missed. He is the fastest most athletic player on defense. He did play week 1. On to week 3 and Pine Forest. Lets hope the team gets healthy and gets better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT